• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

After some deliberations with the mod team/admins, we will remove continued posts of Florian in this thread. Please find and utilize other sources of information.

Thank You.

“Of course, any acquisition of this size will go through scrutiny, but we feel very, very confident that we’ll come out,” he said in an interview with Bloomberg Television.

Nadella’s prediction puts him at odds with investors’ skepticism about the deal. While Activision rose Thursday, outperforming a slump in tech stocks, Wednesday’s close of $75.32 still left the company more than 20% below the offer price—a signal of massive doubt that Microsoft will ever be able to consummate the transaction.

Microsoft is either the No. 4 or No. 5 competitor in the video game industry, depending on how you count, Nadella said. And the No. 1 player, Sony Group Corp., has made several recent acquisitions. “So if this is about competition, let us have competition,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Every week it's recycled PR, and these warring threads.
heath ledger joker GIF

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I don't get it? Are they saying competition buying up full publishers vs studios? 😂

But of course he's gonna say he's confident. Can you imagine the scenes if he said he was unsure it was gonna happen?

RCU005

“Let us have competition” he says. LOL

It’s like the rich kid that brings his expensive toys to school just to brag.

One thing is to make competition, another thing entirely is to buy the entire industry because you don’t know how to make good games. If only all that money was used to create their own studios and their own IPs, Xbox would be huge. if they wanted competition they would do that, and maybe buy a couple of studios to complement it.

What they are doing is just trying to own the industry. Nintendo is successful doing their own thing, Sony too, but Microsoft just can’t.

I still can believe Ganepass is profitable. It’s just a pipe dream for them that they make work only because they can afford to hemorrhage money into it. Any other business would be bankrupt with a GamePass model.

It would be a shame if this deal pass. I know it will because there is a lot of money involve and they will be able to “convince” everyone involved in the decision.

As I said, they should use the money to create their own studios. Look how much Sony paid for Insomniac and they do amazing games.

ZehDon

the more MS boasts the more embarrassing they look.

Both MS and Sony should just stfu and sort this out in private, MS keeps going public like a twitch influencer
This deal has very little to do with Sony in all actuality. That’s why Sony’s comments draw headlines - they’re effectively complaining about something that they don’t really get to have much of an opinion of.
Because of Sony’s whining, journalists are going to ask Microsoft’s CEO about it.
The odds of the deal falling through because Jim Ryan is scared about what happens to PSN when Call of Duty isn’t around to prop it up is around zero perfect.

tmlDan

This deal has very little to do with Sony in all actuality. That’s why Sony’s comments draw headlines - they’re effectively complaining about something that they don’t really get to have much of an opinion of.
Because of Sony’s whining, journalists are going to ask Microsoft’s CEO about it.
The odds of the deal falling through because Jim Ryan is scared about what happens to PSN when Call of Duty isn’t around to prop it up is around zero perfect.
LMFAO you think that to be true? they'd be asking anyways, that's just what journalists do.

Doesn't mean you have to publicly reveal private business deals or make childish comments like ”So if this is about competition, let us have competition”

Stop acting like MS has no power and is the little guy, they're just as childish or whiney but Sony does it in retaliation to what MS says and does.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, they're going to ask because this is the largest acquisition in gaming history, after already making one of if not the largest acquisition prior.

They also know people will make threads and tweet and war about it drawing attention to their articles.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Sony Group Corp., has made several recent acquisitions. So if this is about competition, let us have competition,” he said.

So Satya believes competition in gaming is about who can acquire the most studios? Not about who can release great games? The last time I remember XBOX speaking consistently about pushing this hobby forward by releasing great games, was when Don Mattrick was in charge during the 360 era. A truly pitiful and void of understanding statement.

5eSv.gif

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
“Let us have competition” he says. LOL

It’s like the rich kid that brings his expensive toys to school just to brag.

One thing is to make competition, another thing entirely is to buy the entire industry because you don’t know how to make good games. If only all that money was used to create their own studios and their own IPs, Xbox would be huge. if they wanted competition they would do that, and maybe buy a couple of studios to complement it.

What they are doing is just trying to own the industry. Nintendo is successful doing their own thing, Sony too, but Microsoft just can’t.

I still can believe Ganepass is profitable. It’s just a pipe dream for them that they make work only because they can afford to hemorrhage money into it. Any other business would be bankrupt with a GamePass model.

It would be a shame if this deal pass. I know it will because there is a lot of money involve and they will be able to “convince” everyone involved in the decision.

As I said, they should use the money to create their own studios. Look how much Sony paid for Insomniac and they do amazing games.
Wow bro. Just get a Xbox and Gamepass already. It will make the hurt stop I promise.

CeeJay

Saying Xbox is number 5 in the video game industry doesn't show a lot of confidence, lmao.
It means nothing, just PR speak to try and make themselves look as weak as possible. If they wanted to look strong it would have been a statement about being #1 in subs or something. This is a game of 4D chess and we only get to see the public facing side of that game with so many layers going on underneath and in the back corridors of power.

DaGwaphics

Xbox is #5 and PS is #1 according to Papa Satya's list. I wonder how he got to that conclusion.

He's thinking big picture. People often forget about Intellivision and Atari.

Seriously though, he's probably breaking it down to just MS as a game publisher, they might be 5th there. Have no idea how the numbers work out from that view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom