• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard: The FTC could approve the acquisition in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Jane

Banned
Phil Spencer said he would honor existing contractings. There's a key word in that sentence. Can you find it? We don't know what that contract is but I'm willing to bet that there's an expiration date. And some of you are putting way too much faith in the FTC.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Phil Spencer said he would honor existing contractings. There's a key word in that sentence. Can you find it? We don't know what that contract is but I'm willing to bet that there's an expiration date.
200.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Phil Spencer said he would honor existing contractings. There's a key word in that sentence. Can you find it? We don't know what that contract is but I'm willing to bet that there's an expiration date. And some of you are putting way too much faith in the FTC.

He said more than that. He said they were going to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation. And no, he never limited that to Warzone.

Topher

Gold Member
Tweets aren't binding for FTC approvals. Contracts are.
It wasn't a tweet. It was blog addressed to regulators

"To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love. We are also interested in taking similar steps to support Nintendo’s successful platform. We believe this is the right thing for the industry, for gamers and for our business."

I guess folks can claim Microsoft is flat out lying if they want.....

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
We will see. Regardless, tweets, blogs, emails, are not binding on this level of federal approval. Contracts and signatures are. I'm fine with people trusting Spencer or not trusting Spencer. Though in terms of "they have to follow through with their blog or the FTC will come after them" is a ridiculous take. After existing contracts expire, MS can do whatever they wish with their property. Whether they want to honor their statements that will be, at the time, years prior, is up to them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Cause companies can never change their minds down the road, right? Especially not game companies, no no no.

If Microsoft made CoD Xbox exclusive, they could make a lot of money selling their consoles to the masses. Being that Microsoft is a corporation (i.e. their objective is to make money), do you have any reasons WHY they shouldn't make it exclusive? Cause it'll hurt the other sides feelings?

Has nothing to do with feelings. A sizable chunk of COD revenue comes from PlayStation. Limiting platforms means reducing revenue. Corporations like more revenue, not less.

DaGwaphics

It would surprise me if CoD didn't remain multi plat. But, businesses adjust to changing climates and the FTC can't force much after the fact. Plus, there is some CoD fatigue as it is. Maybe some of these studios are given a chance to build a new IP with similar underpinnings but some modern twists.

We will see. Regardless, tweets, blogs, emails, are not binding. Contracts and signatures are. I'm fine with people trusting Spencer or not trusting Spencer. Though in terms of "they have to follow through or the FTC will come after them" is a ridiculous take. After existing contracts expire, MS can do whatever they wish with their property. Whether they want to honor their statements that will be, at the time, years prior, is up to them.

It's not even about if the FTC will come after them or not. They've spent years building goodwill and trust and they're not about to piss all over it because of a video game. If they've gone out of their way to make clear reassurances to regulators then you can damn well bet that is their intention.

Last edited:

Wulfer

Where does this agreement stand on a new title using the Call of Duty engine that isn't Call of Duty???? MS's loop hole I bet in the next 4 years! New title new game free and clear of contract restraints?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if this goes through without any concessions before MW2. If that happens than MS will have the leverage to get new CoD on Game Pass Day 1 sooner.

If regulators require MS to release all the big games day and date with other platforms in the future indefinitely, then I could see Sony saying nope there is nothing to negotiate. CoD can't come day and date to Game Pass until 2025

Topher

Gold Member
It's not even about if the FTC will come after them or not. They've spent years building goodwill and trust and they're not about to piss all over it because of video game. If they've gone out of their way to make clear reassurances to regulators then you can damn well bet that is their intention.

Exactly. The FTC can factually revisit this deal if they see the need, but it won't ever get to that point. There is a reason why companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple have been involved in antitrust hearings while Microsoft has been excluded. After nearly being broken into parts in the 90s, Microsoft had to repair its tenuous relationship with the US government. They are not about to throw all that out the window just to satisfy some console warrior fantasies. Phil Spencer has been pretty clear so far about all of this. Bethesda games will be exclusive to platforms where Game Pass exists. COD "and other popular Activision Blizzard titles" will continue on Xbox, PS, PC, and in the future, Nintendo. I don't get why folks think Phil Spencer and Brad Smith are lying.

yurinka

I think it's pretty obvious that this acquisition shouldn't have any issue with any regulator since it wouldn't mean them to have even close of having a monopoly or even being market leaders in gaming or in any gaming market.

It will be interesting to see if this goes through without any concessions before MW2. If that happens than MS will have the leverage to get new CoD on Game Pass Day 1 sooner.

If regulators require MS to release all the big games day and date with other platforms in the future indefinitely, then I could see Sony saying nope there is nothing to negotiate. CoD can't come day and date to Game Pass until 2025
Regulators won't ask them to do anything and can't force them do anything like that specially when MS is not a market leader in gaming and doesn't have anything close to a monopoly.

MS will continue releasing their Minecraft, Bethesda and Activision Blizzard games in rival consoles because they want this money from rival consoles that have a big ass AAA market share, not because somebody else forces them to do so.

Last edited:

ManaByte

There is a reason why companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple have been involved in antitrust hearings while Microsoft has been excluded.

I don’t think you understand what the FTC is concerned about. They don’t care about Call of Duty going to Game Pass. Their focus is more on big tech and the control over information and people’s personal data than a FPS game being on a subscription service.

"To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love. We are also interested in taking similar steps to support Nintendo’s successful platform. We believe this is the right thing for the industry, for gamers and for our business."

[/URL]

They don't have to be lying. If only Warzone (2) stays on Playstation, that statement is still 100% truthful.

reksveks

I don't think there will be anything that would definitely give Sony the ability to dictate whether COD goes on GP. I think Microsoft would just have to show good faith with their negotiations with Sony.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don’t think you understand what the FTC is concerned about. They don’t care about Call of Duty going to Game Pass. Their focus is more on big tech and the control over information and people’s personal data than a FPS game being on a subscription service.

Not sure what that has to do with what I said, but I'm pretty sure the FTC has multiple concerns that are addressed when they review mergers and acquisitions.

They don't have to be lying. If only Warzone (2) stays on Playstation, that statement is still 100% truthful.

Brad Smith said "Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles".

ManaByte

You don't understand his point
The Disney-Fox merger was much bigger than this in terms of how it affected entertainment and competition. It passed with no issue. Disney just had to divest their RSN networks, but the FTC didn’t tell them they had to release their movies on Netflix after that deal ended. People thinking the FTC will do anything like that with Call of Duty aren’t living in reality.

The Disney-Fox merger was much bigger than this in terms of how it affected entertainment and competition. It passed with no issue. Disney just had to divest their RSN networks, but the FTC didn’t tell them they had to release their movies on Netflix after that deal ended. People thinking the FTC will do anything like that with Call of Duty aren’t living in reality.

This isn't a discussion about whether the deal will pass.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member

[/URL][/URL]

This. Posters in this thread are wanting CoD exclusive on their favorite box so bad that they are looking for loopholes in corporate statements. Weird man. I don't see anyone arguing about games that ARE confirmed to become exclusive with the argument, "statement not binding" or "they can change their minds".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I'd bet that deal would have been scrutinized a hell of a lot more if they tried in the current administration. Regardless, Disney had to divest in 22 regional sports networks in order for the deal to go through.

reinking

Gold Member
Part of the success for a game like CoD is accessibility. Some of you really think they are going to pull a franchise like that from its most popular console for fanboy wars? It would cripple the franchise. Unless Sony does something really dumb in the negotiations for future contracts, I have no worries about CoD games being available on future PlayStation consoles.

ManaByte

I'd bet that deal would have been scrutinized a hell of a lot more if they tried in the current administration. Regardless, Disney had to divest in 22 regional sports networks in order for the deal to go through.

That was due to ESPN. Disney owns ESPN and if they owned the RSNs it WOULD have been a monopoly in televised sports.

It wasn't the FTC that reviewed the Disney/Fox merge anyway. It's a moot comparison

ManaByte

And Microsoft's control of Call of Duty has the potential to substantially "lessen competition". That's why it is explicitly being referenced in this deal.
Bull shit. Sony owns Destiny. Call of Duty is just another FPS in what is arguably the most over-saturated gaming genre. If Call of Duty was the only military FPS on the market you'd have an argument there, but it's laughable with so many other games in the genre.

Topher

Gold Member
Bull shit. Sony owns Destiny. Call of Duty is just another FPS in what is arguably the most over-saturated gaming genre. If Call of Duty was the only military FPS on the market you'd have an argument there, but it's laughable with so many other games in the genre.

Bullshit? I don't think so.

This acquisition will result in some multiplat games and some exclusives. Games like COD and Diablo will remain multiplat, whereas we potentially could see something like the next Crash Bandicoot, or if Tony Hawk or some other Activision property getting revived being exclusive, but the beauty of this acquisition (from Microsoft's perspective) is the COD has such a pull, even if it still releases Day 1 on Playstation there will still be a sizable migration to Xbox to play COD.

Xbox will be featured in every COD esport, it will have exclusive marketing for COD, it will likely get better exclusive skins or features, as well as some Game Pass perks. And all of that doesn't even take into account every COD getting released on Game Pass Day 1 ( as well as all past COD's likely being added, so people switching still have access to all their COD games). Keeping COD multiplatform but making Xbox the clearly superior way to play COD will still have an enormous impact on people switching from PS to Xbox (or simply buying a Series S on the side or playing on PC Game Pass), and the people that remain solely on PS are still giving their money to Xbox. Personally I don't care about exclusives because somebody not being able to play a game doesn't benefit me at all, but this way Xbox still becomes a way more desirable product than it is now, and COD fans on Playstation who can't afford an Xbox don't get left behind.

ManaByte

Destiny isn't the one that dominates the charts every year

And if CoD is exclusive to one platform that opens up more competition for another FPS game from the long list of competitors to dominate the charts. It's up to the publisher and developer if they want to compete, not government regulators forcing them to.

when the Bethesda deal went thru....those gamepass games started coming immediately.
The real holiday gaming season for Xbox, could just be me getting Deathloop, Diablo III, Tony Hawk 1 & 2 remake, and a ton of CODS on gamepass

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
And if CoD is exclusive to one platform that opens up more competition for another FPS game from the long list of competitors to dominate the charts. It's up to the publisher and developer if they want to compete, not government regulators forcing them to.
No. If the entire business world operated like this we'd all be screwed. There a reason why laws and government intervention exist when it comes to mergers and acquisitions.

ManaByte

No. If the entire business world operated like this we'd all be screwed. There a reason why laws and government intervention exist when it comes to mergers and acquisitions.

Then explain why the government didn't require Disney to release Fox's movies on Netflix and other services after they merged.

Because the government cannot do that.

Lognor

Banned
No. They’ll be putting all Call of Duty titles on PlayStation, PC and eventually, Switch 2.

I don’t believe Microsoft ever promised that Bethesda games going forward would be multiplatform. Let’s not make things up.

And yes, it is possible that some future Activision games could be exclusive. But not Call of Duty.
I don't think you can say this for certain. Sure, that's the way it looks, but Microsoft's wording leaves it open to interpretation. We can say for sure that Xbox players will get the best COD experience. I expect a lot of COD players to move back to Xbox after so many moved to PS4 when Sony locked down exclusive content. Hopefully we don't see a return of that, but probably first access to betas, etc.

And I'm not sure about Switch. LOL. Activision had years to put any COD game on Switch and they didn't. Why would they do that now under new ownership?

Lognor

Banned
Explain why Microsoft is telling the FTC that they will continue to release COD on PlayStation.
And they will. Warzone IS COD. They will continue to release A COD game on PS. They didn't say ALL as far as I know. So the way Microsoft worded it, it could go either way. At this point I expect all COD games to release as they do today, but it's not for certain. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it. And with that uncertainty I think a lot more people are going to move to Xbox.

ManaByte

He loves to flipflop around everything

Meanwhile he's 100% convinced new Bungie IPs are going to Xbox. Even if the wording is weaker than Microsofts

Ah I get it, Bungie's games are going to be exclusive to the platform that owns them, but Activision's IPs won't be.

You guys better let Bungie know about that though.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

Last edited:
Brad Smith said "Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles".
Yeah, but I'm only talking about Call of Duty. Some people here interpret the statement as "MS guarantees that every single CoD will also be on Playstation, forever", which is super reaching tbh. The statement is also true if only Warzone is on Playstation and no other CoD ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom