• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard: The FTC could approve the acquisition in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

Personal opinion/speculation

COD will be multiplatfom, but GP faster than people think
Diablo 4 will be the last Diablo on PS consoles
New Starcraft including Ghost will be started up under MS
King accounts will be linked to MS accounts optionally and you will get a bit of a discount on those mtx.

Personal opinion/speculation

COD will be multiplatfom, but GP faster than people think
Diablo 4 will be the last Diablo on PS consoles
King accounts will be linked to MS accounts optionally and you will get a bit of a discount on those mtx.
Wait, is Ghost back on the table? Must've missed it.

bitbydeath

I really hope they take advantage of some of them. I would love to see a new game based on the Police Quest series. Updated and modernized.
Should give it to Double Fine, along with the other Quest games and beef that studio up 100x to produce lots of new adventure games.

Last edited:

reksveks

Wait, is Ghost back on the table? Must've missed it.
It ain't but it's a random idea that I think they will pick back up. I think ABK will start doing some other the things that they have neglected and Ghost will be one of those. Pure speculation.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
People made this exact same argument about starfield and Bethesda

Lo and behold

Starfield isn’t a live service game in a crowded live service field.

Microsoft already has the example from
Halo about how a prominent GaaS franchise can decline when the base moves on. There is no way they don’t make COD a multiplatform for years to come.

They can take a leaf from Sony’s book and invest in making xbox the best platform to play Call of Duty. Timed DLC, early betas and Gamepass day one.

reksveks

Starfield isn’t a live service game in a crowded live service field.

Microsoft already has the example from
Halo about how a prominent GaaS franchise can decline when the base moves on. There is no way they don’t make COD a multiplatform for years to come.

They can take a leaf from Sony’s book and invest in making xbox the best platform to play Call of Duty. Timed DLC, early betas and Gamepass day one.
Yeah CoD on PS would be a form of 'counter programming'. Completely pulling it might give space for another multiplatform competitor.

Ozriel

M$FT
MS will continue releasing their Minecraft, Bethesda and Activision Blizzard games in rival consoles because they want this money from rival consoles that have a big ass AAA market share, not because somebody else forces them to do so.

Bethesda? unlikely, for the vast majority of their future output.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah CoD on PS would be a form of 'counter programming'. Completely pulling it might give space for another multiplatform competitor.

…especially with Sony gearing up to launch at least 3 exclusive live service games on PlayStation/PC across 2023/2024.

Topher

Gold Member
People made this exact same argument about starfield and Bethesda

Lo and behold

Lo and behold, now Microsoft is the one using Minecraft as the example of how they are going to treat Activision games in the future.

"He added: “One of the first acquisitions that [Microsoft CEO] Satya Nadella made was Minecraft back in September 2014, and what we’ve done with that acquisition is a clear indicator of what we hope to do if we acquire Activision Blizzard.” As mentioned above, Minecraft has continued to be available on PlayStation consoles, and has even received bespoke updates, like PSVR support."

Last edited:
King has accounts? I thought mobile games did not require them?

Starcraft Ghost via Blizzard + Coalition is a no-brainer.

As mentioned above, Minecraft has continued to be available on PlayStation consoles
Microsoft literally continuess to support TESO and FO76 on Playstation. And Warzone will be supported too. And what Warzone is? COD.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Of course they will use minecraft as the example for now to get approved, they aren't stupid.
Did they mention how Starfield isn't on ps5 in that same interview?

Ozriel

M$FT
Past Precedence

So to be clear, you’re not going to take it as a confirmed info that future Bungie games will show up on Xbox…because it’s not explicitly stated and because you feel ‘multiplatform’ might not include Xbox.

Meanwhile, you’re happy to take a contract Sony signed with Capcom, apply it to Activision and confidently state it as a matter of fact?

So to be clear, you’re not going to take it as a confirmed info that future Bungie games will show up on Xbox…because it’s not explicitly stated and because you feel ‘multiplatform’ might not include Xbox.

Meanwhile, you’re happy to take a contract Sony signed with Capcom, apply it to Activision and confidently state it as a matter of fact?

Have you seen any game with a marketing partnership with Sony go to gamepass day one? Put 1 + 1 together. It's not hard

It's an assumption based on past precendence and knowledge of an existing contract. There's no evidence like that to confidentley say all Bungie games are going to Xbox or not

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
After a Sony developed game hit Gamepass day one I wouldn't rule anything out, it's best to just wait and see how this plays out.
Lots of people clung to the first, better and best" quote about Bethesda games but the PS versions of Starfield and Redfall got canned.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
After a Sony developed game hit Gamepass day one I wouldn't rule anything out, it's best to just wait and see how this plays out.
Lots of people clung to the first, better and best" quote about Bethesda games but the PS versions of Starfield and Redfall got canned.

I think with some games contracts have been signed for a few years so will deffo still be on other consoles for the foreseeable future at least

Topher

Gold Member

True, but that guy wasn't pitching that line to the FTC.

Topher

Gold Member
Overwatch 2 will be supported of course. Diablo 4 potentially too.

Or Activision will continue to be on PlayStation across the board. Microsoft has said they will operate independently. Everything I'm reading suggests they are not going to dictate what platforms AB will publish for.

Ozriel

M$FT
Have you seen any game with a marketing partnership with Sony go to gamepass day one? Put 1 + 1 together. It's not hard

It's an assumption based on past precendence and knowledge of an existing contract. There's no evidence like that to confidentley say all Bungie games are going to Xbox or not

With the exception of smaller stuff like Stray, Most of Sony’s marketing deals are AAA fare. How many AAA games go to Gamepass day one? Put 1 + 1 together, it’s not hard.

Not to mention that Activision are the biggest players in the games industry 3rd party space and Bobby Kotick is a hard-nosed businessman. So absolutely no guarantee he’d take the same terms Sony offered to the relatively much smaller Capcom.

Ozriel

M$FT
Or Activision will continue to be on PlayStation across the board. Microsoft has said they will operate independently. Everything I'm reading suggests they are not going to dictate what platforms AB will publish for.

I don’t believe Microsoft ever said Activision would operate any more independently than the likes of Bethesda. Microsoft Gaming will absolutely dictate their platforms of release.

With the exception of smaller stuff like Stray, Most of Sony’s marketing deals are AAA fare. How many AAA games go to Gamepass day one? Put 1 + 1 together, it’s not hard.

Not to mention that Activision are the biggest players in the games industry 3rd party space and Bobby Kotick is a hard-nosed businessman. So absolutely no guarantee he’d take the same terms Sony offered to the relatively much smaller Capcom.

Yes because Activision who's been such a believer in subscription services would be outraged over agreeing to such a clause.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don’t believe Microsoft ever said Activision would operate any more independently than the likes of Bethesda. Microsoft Gaming will absolutely dictate their platforms of release.

No, you are right. I misread the quote about operating independently. Phil Spencer was saying that would be the case until the deal was done.

Having said that, I think the PlayStation support will be much broader than others believe based on what Brad Smith and Phil Spencer have said.

wedding-crashers-will-ferrell.gif

Overwatch 2 is a F2P GaaS game with a battlepass like COD Warzone, it'll always be multiplat.
Of course. It is essentially an upgrade over Overwatch 1 anyway.

Having said that, I think the PlayStation support will be much broader than others believe based on what Brad Smith and Phil Spencer have said.
I think it is gonna be Bethesda situation again. Unlike ABK just has bigger GaaS games and more games to release. After all with Bethesda PS got Deathloop and Ghostwire, Skyrim Another Edition, Quake Remaster etc. Also Diablo 4 is coming to PS5, and If there is WoW console edition it might come to PS5 too (though FF14 exists thus Xbox can stick to Xbox only too). ABK is just bigger so maybe some remasters of older games or even some smaller games might come to Playstation (like King's Quest remaster etc.), including the updates to the existing ones (Warzone 1,2, Zombie, Overwatch, Diablo etc.).

I just don't believe that mainline COD will be multiplatform. It will already lose some sales due to not being annual and if MS is capable to make it time exclusives for 1 year, what difference does it make from going full exclusive? I do wonder if potentially COD might lose its multiplayer component as Warzone 1,2 and Zombie will do the heavy lifting there. COD essentially competes with itself due to mainline multiplayer and Warzone updates after all.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I do wonder if potentially COD might lose its multiplayer component as Warzone 1,2 and Zombie will do the heavy lifting there. After COD essentially competes with itself due to that.
Hardcore Warzone players need the mainline MP to level up their weapons, so they’ll never drop that.

Hezekiah

Banned
Profits for Xbox or the Entertainment and Devices Division?

Also what % of the business was it?

PS I kinda hope you are a MS shareholder
I dunno, you like numbers why dont you look it up.

Why do you hope that? Are you one of those people who try to control people's thoughts?? Bizarre, maybe ResetEra is more for you.

Topher

Gold Member
Of course. It is essentially an upgrade over Overwatch 1 anyway.

I think it is gonna be Bethesda situation again. Unlike ABK just has bigger GaaS games and more games to release. After all with Bethesda PS got Deathloop and Ghostwire, Skyrim Another Edition, Quake Remaster etc. Also Diablo 4 is coming to PS5, and If there is WoW console edition it might come to PS5 too (though FF14 exists thus Xbox can stick to Xbox only too). ABK is just bigger so maybe some remasters of older games or even some smaller games might come to Playstation (like King's Quest remaster etc.), including the updates to the existing ones (Warzone 1,2, Zombie, Overwatch, Diablo etc.).

I just don't believe that mainline COD will be multiplatform. It will already lose some sales due to not being annual and if MS is capable to make it time exclusives for 1 year, what difference does it make from going full exclusive? I do wonder if potentially COD might lose its multiplayer component as Warzone 1,2 and Zombie will do the heavy lifting there. COD essentially competes with itself due to mainline multiplayer and Warzone updates after all.

I disagree. I think this will distinctly different than Bethesda. I see all the Call of Duty, Diablos, etc. continuing on PlayStation, but Xbox versions will get exclusives DLC, perks, etc. We will see.

reksveks

I dunno, you like numbers why dont you look it up.
Clearly then you nothing more to give in terms of hard-data; which is fine.

Why do you hope that? Are you one of those people who try to control people's thoughts?? Bizarre, maybe ResetEra is more for you.
why do you assume that I am trying to control your thoughts? I hope people aren't factually incorrect on certain topics but i know that I can't stop people from being so (for various reasons) so I don't try all the time especially with people who aren't open to it. The same for a number of other 'negative' qualities that Humans are like hypocrites etc.

Last edited:

yurinka

Bethesda? unlikely, for the vast majority of their future output.
Since their acquisition Zenimax released all their games and DLC on PS, as MS said they were going to do: MS said that with Bethesda they were going to focus on multiplatform or timed exclusives, not in full console exclusives.

They announced a single console exclusive game, Starfield. And let's see if a few months/years after launch gets announced for PS or not.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Clearly then you nothing more to give in terms of hard-data; which is fine.

why do you assume that I am trying to control your thoughts? I hope people aren't factually incorrect on certain topics but i know that I can't stop people from being so (for various reasons) so I don't try all the time especially with people who aren't open to it. The same for a number of other 'negative' qualities that Humans are like hypocrites etc.
OK mate, you're a numbers person who wants the Xbox profit numbers to stay hidden forever where previously they were published.

That's all you've got to say 😁

Your player level and load outs are shared across COD and Warzone. So people will play core COD to level up their weapons and unlock all the attachments and then take their load outs over to Warzone with them.
Now it makes sense why would Microsoft might keep COD mutliplat. But can't people level up weapons in Warzone 1? Not sure how does it work right now in Warzone 2 though.

ManaByte

Now it makes sense why would Microsoft might keep COD mutliplat. But can't people level up weapons in Warzone 1? Not sure how does it work right now in Warzone 2 though.
They can but it’s much slower. They’ll keep Warzone multiplat but if they want that leveling boost they’ll need a Game Pass device.

They can but it’s much slower. They’ll keep Warzone multiplat but if they want that leveling boost they’ll need a Game Pass device.
Warzone 2 will be multiplatform simple because it will be released on PS soon anyway. The question was about mainline COD, if mainline COD is used for leveling up weapons for Warzone then it makes sense why it might stay multiplatform.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes because Activision who's been such a believer in subscription services would be outraged over such a clause.

Again, we don’t know what’s in the contract. We’ll only know when the deal goes through. Anything else is speculation.

Since their acquisition Zenimax released all their games and DLC on PS, as MS said they were going to do: MS said that with Bethesda they were going to focus on multiplatform or timed exclusives, not in full console exclusives.
Microsoft were explicit in saying that they would not pull games from other platforms, and they would maintain games with communities.
So Fallout 76, ESO, Doom Eternal etc content is 100% guaranteed to be multiplatform. They stressed that enough.

Phil Spender has never said future Bethesda games would focus on multiplatform or timed exclusivity.

They announced a single console exclusive game, Starfield.

Redfall doesn’t exist? Arkane would be crushed.

And let's see if a few months/years after launch gets announced for PS or not.

What does historical precedence tell you? You also expect Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 to show up on PlayStation?

If you don’t own an Xbox, Microsoft expects you to play Starfield on PC, or via XCloud with a Gamepass Ultimate subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom