• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sega Form Strategic Partnership (Azure)

ParaSeoul

Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Why are people so desperate for this Microsoft Sega acquisition to happen anyway? Segas output now is pathetic,only time it would have really benefitted both parties is if they did it back in the original Xbox days when Sega was just treating it as the Dreamcast 2.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
yeah and Sony gets also a deal for using Cloud tech for PS games, so whe will see PS excl. games on GamePass. 😂
Does guys cant read ore dreaming a pipedream. I swear
some fanboys living in LaLaland🙄

PowerYourDreamsHERO.jpg

People must be still waiting for these PS exclusives on Gamepass. It’s about Gamepass, some people just want everything in Gamepass. Every single fart MS is making, is a acquisition for them.

MonarchJT

Banned

Just got the news Microsoft is acquiring Sony.
I'm sorry if people weren't aware of what kind of "deal" Sony and Ms were making but it is about Image sensors tech (Sony) <-> (Ms) servers and AI tech. This is the kind of technology exchange and collaboration they are having. Now I repeat and I ask you, please could you tell me what could Sega give in exchange to Ms? And what Ms could be into interested about Sega?
We all know and it's much, much simpler than people want to make it sound.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Because partnership is a flourish way to say client. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Welcome to the business world.

Exactly, it’s an overused word that gets used because it implies a higher degree of trust than Vendor or Supplier.

Headline could equally have been “Sega selects MS Azure as strategic cloud hosting provider” or something like that.

Use of the word partner has got to a point where I now perceive it as a negative. Take HR, something that used to be a helpful function in a company that assisted you with recruitment, training, making sure your salary was correct, pension, benefits, etc. Now they’re obsessed with being your partner and all the useful bits have been outsourced, and all they do is get in the way of you from doing things, slowing down recruitment processes, etc.

”Partnering” can just fuck off.

SaucyJack

I'm sorry if people weren't aware of what kind of "deal" Sony and Ms were making but it is about Image sensors tech (Sony) <-> (Ms) servers and AI tech. This is the kind of technology exchange and collaboration they are having. Now I repeat and I ask you, please could you tell me what could Sega give in exchange to Ms? And what Ms could be into interested about Sega?
We all know and it's much, much simpler than people want to make it sound.

Microsoft are interested in businesses using Azure as opposed to AWS or GCP.

kuncol02

Banned
I totally forgot a Sega owned developer, Relic Entertainment, worked on Age of Empires IV. And people were saying it had nothing at all to do with Xbox. Jez is as hooked into Xbox as it gets, and he seems to be implying otherwise.

SEGA also owns Creative Assembly which was working on Halo Wars 2.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Same thing. But it's gonna be fun to see the meltdowns of the console warriors who don't understand what this means. 😂

On it's face, it seems to be an Azure partnership similar to Microsoft's partnership with Sony. But if you read between the lines, there is reason to think this is more. Sarah Bond works in the Xbox/gaming division at Microsoft, not the cloud division. So why was she the lead on this deal? And then there is her tweet saying she, "can't wait to share more in the future". The Sony/Microsoft deal didn't have this sort of buzz at all. There was an announcement a couple of years ago, and we haven't heard anything since (maybe Jade Raymond's game is on Azure?). I expect we will hear more about the Microsoft/Sega partnership in the future, and I expect the partnership will provide at least some benefits to Xbox gamers. But time will tell.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Why are people so desperate for this Microsoft Sega acquisition to happen anyway? Segas output now is pathetic,only time it would have really benefitted both parties is if they did it back in the original Xbox days when Sega was just treating it as the Dreamcast 2.

You haven't been paying attention. Sega is outstanding.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
On it's face, it seems to be an Azure partnership similar to Microsoft's partnership with Sony. But if you read between the lines, there is reason to think this is more. Sarah Bond works in the Xbox/gaming division at Microsoft, not the cloud division. So why was she the lead on this deal? And then there is her tweet saying she, "can't wait to share more in the future". The Sony/Microsoft deal didn't have this sort of buzz at all. There was an announcement a couple of years ago, and we haven't heard anything since (maybe Jade Raymond's game is on Azure?). I expect we will hear more about the Microsoft/Sega partnership in the future, and I expect the partnership will provide at least some benefits to Xbox gamers. But time will tell.

More like wishful thinking. Sega is another azure client and there's nothing more than this.

On Demand

Banned
Sarah Bond works for the MS corporate business side as well. Her tweet even mentions games specifically made using Azure. Nothing about new IP’s exclusive to Xbox. This is Sega using MS cloud technology for future games they want to make.

MonarchJT

Banned
More like wishful thinking. Sega is another azure client and there's nothing more than this.
i think that yours is more a wishful thinking at this point

"Sarah Bond
Head of Global Gaming Partnerships and Development
Xbox/Microsoft
Sarah leads Microsoft’s gaming business development team. She and her team are responsible for cultivating and managing Microsoft’s gaming partnerships, crafting and executing deals and negotiations and shaping strategy and M&A. Sarah’s organization is global with presence in Redmond, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai and London. "

You don't see multiple post about this from Sarah bond (in her position) and how she's excited to tell us more in future if was just another azure client like other thousand of studios

Pull n Pray

Banned
Sarah Bond works for the MS corporate business side as well. Her tweet even mentions games specifically made using Azure. Nothing about new IP’s exclusive to Xbox. This is Sega using MS cloud technology for future games they want to make.
She's the VP of Xbox. I haven't heard of working on anything that wasn't gaming related.

elliot5

She's the VP of Xbox. I haven't heard of working on anything that wasn't gaming related.
She's the CVP of Xbox and her own job description on her LinkedIn talks about leading business development partnerships and ecosystem across Xbox/Azure/365.

Just bc you only see her at E3 talking about game pass doesn't mean she doesn't have other responsibilities tho

Swift_Star

Banned

"Sarah Bond
Xbox/Microsoft
Sarah leads Microsoft’s gaming business development team. She and her team are responsible for cultivating and managing Microsoft’s gaming partnerships, crafting and executing deals and negotiations and shaping strategy and M&A. Sarah’s organization is global with presence in Redmond, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai and London. "

You don't see multiple post about this from Sarah bond (in her position) and how she's excited to tell us more in future if was just another azure client like other thousand of studios
Keep dreaming, bud.

Topher

Gold Member
Just a reminder.....there is no deal for anything in place going by this press release. This "collaboration" exists entirely for the reason of "considering" a partnership. Sounds pretty simple to me. Sega needs a cloud provider and Microsoft is the company they are looking at to provide those services. Beyond that, anything else is just guesswork.

PhaseJump

Banned
Sega intended to sell a fog gaming network concept to arcades last year. Now they are looking to use Azure to build games with more integrated cloud infrastructure in the home consumer market, a successful trend these days. It seems like Microsoft is ahead or more aligned with the marketing to begin with when it comes to supporting gaming, compared to Amazon; but this whole announcement is nothing.

Sega is chasing new trends, trying new things, using "partnerships" to try to juice up it's brand and value. Microsoft should acquire them anyway. Xbox 1st party is lacking what Sega's studios are good for. Just owning Sonic the Hedgehog and it's merchandising would make the whole thing "make sense" if they went for it with a high offer.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Just a reminder.....there is no deal for anything in place going by this press release. This "collaboration" exists entirely for the reason of "considering" a partnership. Sounds pretty simple to me. Sega needs a cloud provider and Microsoft is the company they are looking at to provide those services. Beyond that, anything else is just guesswork.
Yeah, it is a lot of guesswork. But if you had to guess, will Sega's first "super game" be a day 1 Game Pass release or not? I'd guess yes.

"Sarah Bond
Xbox/Microsoft

Exactly. There's something different about this one.

You have to realize that many of the same people telling us with absolute certainty that this has totally nothing to do with Xbox are also the same business analysts who told us for sure that Microsoft wasn't going to make Bethesda's newest games exclusive because they had to make their $7.5 billion back from the purchase, and Playstation was a market leader that simply couldn't be ignored. Nobody knows what's going to happen, but what I do know is that Sarah Bond's heavy involvement means that the possibility it could have very important meaning for Xbox and Game Pass should not be dismissed.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF

They won Publisher of the Year in 2020 and had the highest Metacritic average for any publisher that year. Hell, their Metacritic average is pretty high this year, too.

...Of course unless Metacritic suddenly no longer matters :/.

Also, who the hell is talking about acquisition, here? Look at how paranoid you are, just blabbering about something no one's really been discussing here. Chill out.

Sega's "Super Game" isn't a single game. It's a genre of games. Cloud games that can leverage an amount of processing power not possible on current consoles or PCs.

Yeah, I also got the impression Super Game is in reference to multiple games, not a single one. It's basically a new initiative from Sega encompassing multiple titles.

I think the people doing "wishful thinking" here are those like yourself; if this were just Sega as another Azure client, why even do an announcement, and why have Sarah Bond headlining the deal along with the Xbox division being involved? Sega could have simply struck a deal with the Azure division directly like other regular clients surely do, so why involve the Xbox team so much in the deal?

Gaming companies don't need to use the Xbox division as a connect to get in touch with the Azure team to become a client; do data centers running Linux systems need to go through the Windows team to use them as a point-bridge connect to then get in touch with Azure dept to become a standard client? No, that sounds stupid.

Thanks, Dad. I think everyone is understanding of this 👍

That said, there's nothing really prohibiting some speculation when you look at the parties involved in establishing the framework for this deal. Also, read my reply to Swift_Star Swift_Star above on why this agreement, so should it manifest into a working relationship, likely means more for the Xbox division than some folks feel comfortable acknowledging.

Last edited:
It's amazing to see people who really haven't been paying attention to Sega's output as of late. It's far from terrible. In fact, it's the best output they've had since their old console days. They've been delivering incredible games. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a turn based RPG that is worthy of the golden era of such games. It's one of the best I've played in years, and this is my experience from being early into it.

Topher

Gold Member
Thanks, Dad. I think everyone is understanding of this 👍

Just pointing out facts. If that bothers you....

Marlon Brando Movie GIF

Yeah, it is a lot of guesswork. But if you had to guess, will Sega's first "super game" be a day 1 Game Pass release or not? I'd guess yes.

I think it is just too early to say. That is more than likely going to be an entirely different negotiation after Sega and Microsoft come out of this preliminary stage of "exploration". I know Microsoft would love for every game to be on Game Pass. The simple fact of the matter is that when it comes to third party, some games are too big for Game Pass as they make more money alone than sharing revenue through a subscription.

Just pointing out facts. If that bothers you....

The only "bothersome" thing is you're not saying anything we don't already know, so what did that comment do to add to the ongoing discussion? Nothing, really. No one's oblivious to the nature of the deal as far as what's actually been stated. Some of us just find it hilarious a few others are so quick to shut down any possibilities of what this could mean for the Xbox division and Sega going forward, and all of those attempts are based on those fears I mentioned the other day.

Fears that are, so far, unfounded.

cireza

Banned
They won Publisher of the Year in 2020 and had the highest Metacritic average for any publisher that year.
They have actually made it first, second and third place many years in a row. SEGA is a very high quality publisher. Sadly this does not work well with the common bias people carry about the publisher, never even wondering if anything has changed throughout the years. This is a great to way to identify people who are only in the discussion to fuel some stupid hate, because you know, doing this is very important in life.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The only "bothersome" thing is you're not saying anything we don't already know,

We? Sorry, but you only speak for you and my post didn't call you out. I'm reading other posts that seem to think this is a lot further along than it is.....thus, my post. If you don't find anything of value in my post then, again....

Marlon Brando Movie GIF

b6a6es

Banned
I'll tell you here and we can do a bet about it....the only thing that Ms is interested in this collaboration is game/s from Sega for their platform and gamepass ...a special treatment from the developers or very likely an exclusive treatment, which will never be so exclusive since collaborating with ms, unlike sony or ninty, would mean for Sega releasing the game on PC, console and cloud. You did read first here
You should change the word ‘Console’ to simply Series S/X, no need for another Bethesda PR speech eh ?

Last edited:
We? Sorry, but you only speak for you and my post didn't call you out. I'm reading other posts that seem to think this is a lot further along than it is.....thus, my post. If you don't find anything of value in my post then, again....

Marlon Brando Movie GIF

I stand corrected then, Godfather.

They have actually made it first, second and third place many years in a row. SEGA is a very high quality publisher. Sadly this does not work well with the common bias people carry about the publisher, never even wondering if anything has changed throughout the years. This is a great to way to identify people who are only in the discussion to fuel some stupid hate, because you know, doing this is very important in life.

TBH I used to have a similar sentiment in the past, then I realized that was mostly my nostalgia talking and inkling to have key classic IP come back.

While I still would love for some older Sega IP to come back in one way or another (proper Rez sequel, remake or sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga, a new Outrun, a new Crazy Taxi, etc.), I have to give them credit in that they've done just that with at least a few of them. SoR 4, Sonic Mania, HotD: Scarlet Dawn (which I hope gets a console or PC port in the future), Sega World Drivers Championship (same), they even brought back Sakura Wars not too long ago.

There are IP of theirs I think could still get the AAA treatment today that for a reason or another Sega haven't done so with, but if entering partnerships with companies like Microsoft or even Sony and/or Nintendo can in any way open opportunities for funding to make those games happen, then I'm all onboard. And, like you said, their output in general has been quite strong the past few years, I think only in the back half of the Wii/360/PS3 gen were there some rough patches content-wise from them.

Otherwise I'd say they've been as consistent as they were when they made hardware and in some ways actually more consistent. And, unlike companies like Square-Enix, they seem to actually know what to do (more or less) with their Japanese and Western studios. Just wish they had more marketing for their games; a lot of games most folks probably don't even know are developed and/or published by Sega like Two-Point Hospital, Age of Empire series, Total War, 13 Sentinels etc.

cireza

Banned
TBH I used to have a similar sentiment in the past, then I realized that was mostly my nostalgia talking and inkling to have key classic IP come back.

While I still would love for some older Sega IP to come back in one way or another (proper Rez sequel, remake or sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga, a new Outrun, a new Crazy Taxi, etc.), I have to give them credit in that they've done just that with at least a few of them. SoR 4, Sonic Mania, HotD: Scarlet Dawn (which I hope gets a console or PC port in the future), Sega World Drivers Championship (same), they even brought back Sakura Wars not too long ago.

There are IP of theirs I think could still get the AAA treatment today that for a reason or another Sega haven't done so with, but if entering partnerships with companies like Microsoft or even Sony and/or Nintendo can in any way open opportunities for funding to make those games happen, then I'm all onboard. And, like you said, their output in general has been quite strong the past few years, I think only in the back half of the Wii/360/PS3 gen were there some rough patches content-wise from them.

Otherwise I'd say they've been as consistent as they were when they made hardware and in some ways actually more consistent. And, unlike companies like Square-Enix, they seem to actually know what to do (more or less) with their Japanese and Western studios. Just wish they had more marketing for their games; a lot of games most folks probably don't even know are developed and/or published by Sega like Two-Point Hospital, Age of Empire series, Total War, 13 Sentinels etc.
I find that they have been a bit lacking as far as old IPs are concerned. It seems that they have decided to check every series from the list (of the ones that were voted as fan favorites) with minimal investments, with the exception of Sakura Wars that ended first on the list.

Some games turned out great, but they were still minimal investment/risk. Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4 have been supported by developers that are passionate fans first and foremost. Some others did not turn out so well. Panzer Dragoon remake is pretty meh honestly and felt unnecessary overall, and I am not looking forward to Zwei and HOTD by the same developer. SEGA have been lending their series like this in order to make some quick cash (Wonderboy, Bayonetta, Shining etc...), but failed at supporting them with proper budget and development. They don't want to deal with these in-house, that's how it looks. Just make some money and that's it.

I would have preferred they green-lit less games, but to have much more implication from them, or more ambition at least. I don't want a ton of 2D indie looking games or remakes with close to zero added value. Playing the originals is fine, I have been doing this for 25 years.

I am not particularly stuck in the past and it is perfectly fine if they move on when it ends up with game like Valkyria Chronicles 4, which I find to be their best game in a decade, previous one being Valkyria Chronicles on PS3.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

It's amazing to see people who really haven't been paying attention to Sega's output as of late. It's far from terrible. In fact, it's the best output they've had since their old console days. They've been delivering incredible games. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a turn based RPG that is worthy of the golden era of such games. It's one of the best I've played in years, and this is my experience from being early into it.
I think Sonics ups and downs (mostly downs) are what people judge Sega on, and don’t realize all the big games they make every year.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Those would not be "filler" imo, but are u quoting something, did they say that?
They would be filler in the 2020’s when compared to their other first party juggernauts like Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, Starfield, Avowed, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Perfect Dark, DOOM etc.

reksveks

I commented somewhere else that either MS are just dumping money back into Sega's bank account or giving a large credit note.

I need to have a look at Sega West and how many of them have turned up on GP day one.

Humankind
FM22
TW: WH3
FM21

I have a feel Two Point Campus is soon, one of the other ones is on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom