• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sony are both aquiring studios left and right, but with completely different goals and philosophies.

Humdinger

Sony does a good job at putting out quality AAA games. MS does not. MS has really been struggling -- for 7 or 8 years now. Still struggling.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, but you know this thread wasn't discussing timed exclusivity, something they both do and focus heavily on when the market position favors them (Sony PS2/4/5 and MS with X360). You are also ignoring that if MS was doing that, even if they initially paid more, it would eventually influence the price they need to pay to change, depending on how their position in the market changed. Anyway, timed exclusivity was never the point of the thread to begin with.
You're not a mod. I made a very mild mannered comment responding to someone else who brought it up, and then tied it back into acquisitions. The thread is about contrasting the value of focusing on talent vs. focus on IP. I made the simple point that Sony does focus on IP through other means, and they have a solid talent base to cultivate new studios. MS doesn't have that support system, and has a harder time locking in IP the way Sony does. For them it makes sense to focus on that in their acquisitions, especially in a long term sub model.

Ironically all the people trying to lecture me are the only ones who have derailed. Just poor reading comprehension, or addiction to drama. I honestly don't know. I couldn't possibly have posted in a more passive and relaxed manner, and you've called me "knee jerk" and told me I need to "relax." Just ... odd.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Sony has been buying studios that recently formed and haven't even released their first game, because the people who formed those studios have proven track records from working on other games at other studios.

That’s a fancy way of saying they’ve been buying new studios making live service games with potential.

As to which ends up being the right choice - focusing on talent or focusing on brands - has yet to be determined.

There’s not that much difference between both approaches, tbh. Both are buying talent with good track records.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yeah, but you know this thread wasn't discussing timed exclusivity, something they both do and focus heavily on when the market position favors them (Sony PS2/4/5 and MS with X360). You are also ignoring that if MS was doing that, even if they initially paid more, it would eventually influence the price they need to pay to change, depending on how their position in the market changed. Anyway, timed exclusivity was never the point of the thread to begin with.
Problem is your looking at 1 completed acquisition and go off on a tangent. Your not looking at the 2018 acquisitions and outside playground they were AA studios financially in bad shape. I know you rather have Brian fargo retire, Double fine turn off the lights, Obsidian entertainment struggling to get funding for AA games, ninja therory struck making AA games than god forbid a playstation console misses a game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You do realise this is a problem they created for themselves right?
You have a bad habit of asking pointless questions. Your first post to me had 3 question marks and nothing else. Just say what you want to say and leave me out of it. I never try to talk to you because it goes nowhere. Your post can look like this.

"MS did this to themselves."
- GHG

Then hit post. Done.

fallingdove

Can't wait to play FF VII, XVI and Forspoken on Xbox.
The exclusivity for FFVII ended a long time ago. Do you think that Square realized that Xbox wasn’t worth the hassle? No exclusivity deal for the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Collection and yet here we are…

Also, if anyone is buying an Xbox thinking they will have access to a large library of Japanese games, they are idiots.

GHG

Gold Member
You have a bad habit of asking pointless questions. Your first post to me had 3 question marks and nothing else. Just say what you want to say and leave me out of it. I never try to talk to you because it goes nowhere. Your post can look like this.

"MS did this to themselves."
- GHG

Then hit post. Done.

I get it, you don't like being asked these questions because you don't want to admit where the real problems lie and what the causes are.

Carry on being upset with the imaginary boogeymen I guess.

sainraja

Problem is your looking at 1 completed acquisition and go off on a tangent. Your not looking at the 2018 acquisitions and outside playground they were AA studios financially in bad shape. I know you rather have Brian fargo retire, Double fine turn off the lights, Obsidian entertainment struggling to get funding for AA games, ninja therory struck making AA games than god forbid a playstation console misses a game.
I didn't bring those up because they weren't being discussed, unless I am not understanding the point you are trying to make? Those are examples of the types of things MS probably should be doing more of instead of trying to acquire huge publishers, to accelerate their game pass focused plans.

You're not a mod. I made a very mild mannered comment responding to someone else who brought it up, and then tied it back into acquisitions. The thread is about contrasting the value of focusing on talent vs. focus on IP. I made the simple point that Sony does focus on IP through other means, and they have a solid talent base to cultivate new studios. MS doesn't have that support system, and has a harder time locking in IP the way Sony does. For them it makes sense to focus on that in their acquisitions, especially in a long term sub model.

Ironically all the people trying to lecture me are the only ones who have derailed. Just poor reading comprehension, or addiction to drama. I honestly don't know. I couldn't possibly have posted in a more passive and relaxed manner, and you've called me "knee jerk" and told me I need to "relax." Just ... odd.
I was following the conversation up until I responded, and your post seemed out of place to me. The thing you wanted to use to say "Sony too" is something MS still does, but it hasn't been their primary focus because of Game Pass and their acquisition plans. As for MS having a harder time locking in IP, I don't get this either. Sony did the same thing during the PS3 generation, investing in creating their own IP during a time when they were cornered and it was being reported that they might go bankrupt. MS does not have that problem. They can use the money they have to influence change in the market, where they don't have to pay large sums of money when speaking of timed exclusivity.

And sure, if you want to continue to argue the point that Sony does that via third-party timed exclusivity and it is the same as acquiring studios/talent/IP, you certainly can do that...but that does not mean people won't challenge you on it, something you seem to be having trouble with, where you simply try to call others "dumb" for not getting you, lol.

I will try to keep this very simple.

MS engages in timed exclusivity and goes after huge publishers who have multiple studios and established IP, vs. Sony, which does timed exclusivity and acquires studios because of the talent behind it, instead of just IP.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You have to read the whole post up to the last sentence and then think about it for a few seconds.

Allow me to break down the context of the posts so you can understand my response First, you quoted the following section of the post from U Unknown Soldier :

Microsoft focuses on taking away 3rd parties with established franchises away from their main competitor.

That post had nothing to do with third-party exclusivity agreements, and it was specifically referring to acquisitions of third-parties with established franchises. You responded to that with this:

Sony focuses on doing that quite a bit as well. They just have the luxury of doing it very cheaply on a game by game basis.

This section of the post is only referring to third-party exclusivity agreements that Sony makes. And to my point, this thread (and the section of the post that you were quoting) has nothing to do with third-party exclusivity agreements. It is only talking about acquisitions and/or exclusivity as a result of acquisitions. Third-party exclusivity agreements are not the focus of either the thread, nor the post that you replied to.

You want me to focus on the last section of your post that says this:

MS would very quickly bleed dry trying to pay for 3rd party exclusives, and pay again to put it on Gamepass, and then repeat that again a year later. And then long term if the 3rd parties find success in subs, they then make their own sub - similar to what happened to Netflix. Makes a lot more sense to pay big up front for MS.

You are implying that Microsoft can't work closely with studios before acquiring them, but there is no rule that says that working closely with studios means exclusivity agreements. Microsoft doesn't tend to work closely with third-party studios. They built their walled garden, and then they tell studios how its going to be.

Why do you think there wasn't an Xbox release for Final Fantasy XIV? It wasn't because Sony paid Square Enix to make it a PlayStation exclusive title. It was because Square Enix tried to work with Microsoft, and Microsoft said they wouldn't work with Square Enix to allow cross-play between Xbox and other consoles. Microsoft puts unnecessary burdens on third-party studios, they don't work with them to shape and mold the studios or the gaming industry.

I'm not saying Sony is perfect, because they aren't. I'm saying your post is ridiculous because your only assertion is that a company worth over $2 trillion can't work closely with a third-party studio because another company worth less than $125 billion will somehow cause them to go broke. That is nothing short of willful ignorance and/or corporate shilling.

Keep in mind that in 2014, Microsoft had already worked with Insomniac on Sunset Overdrive and had a relationship with them. Then in 2014 Microsoft turned down Marvel's offer to make a Spider-Man game, where they could have worked even closer with Insomniac. Insomniac was a third-party studio until 2019, and had Microsoft not had their head up their own ass, they could have ended up with both Spider-Man and Insomniac. Why didn't that happen? Because Microsoft chose not to foster a close relationship with a third-party studio.

Microsoft has never lost to Sony when it comes to video games. They have only ever lost to themselves.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Allow me to break down the context of the posts so you can understand my response First, you quoted the following section of the post from U Unknown Soldier :

That post had nothing to do with third-party exclusivity agreements, and it was specifically referring to acquisitions of third-parties with established franchises. You responded to that with this:

This section of the post is only referring to third-party exclusivity agreements that Sony makes. And to my point, this thread (and the section of the post that you were quoting) has nothing to do with third-party exclusivity agreements. It is only talking about acquisitions and/or exclusivity as a result of acquisitions. Third-party exclusivity agreements are not the focus of either the thread, nor the post that you replied to.

You want me to focus on the last section of your post that says this:

You are implying that Microsoft can't work closely with studios before acquiring them, but there is no rule that says that working closely with studios means exclusivity agreements. Microsoft doesn't tend to work closely with third-party studios. They built their walled garden, and then they tell studios how its going to be.

Why do you think there wasn't an Xbox release for Final Fantasy XIV? It wasn't because Sony paid Square Enix to make it a PlayStation exclusive title. It was because Square Enix tried to work with Microsoft, and Microsoft said they wouldn't work with Square Enix to allow cross-play between Xbox and other consoles. Microsoft puts unnecessary burdens on third-party studios, they don't work with them to shape and mold the studios or the gaming industry.

I'm not saying Sony is perfect, because they aren't. I'm saying your post is ridiculous because your only assertion is that a company worth over $2 trillion can't work closely with a third-party studio because another company worth less than $125 billion will somehow cause them to go broke. That is nothing short of willful ignorance and/or corporate shilling.

Keep in mind that in 2014, Microsoft had already worked with Insomniac on Sunset Overdrive and had a relationship with them. Then in 2014 Microsoft turned down Marvel's offer to make a Spider-Man game, where they could have worked even closer with Insomniac. Insomniac was a third-party studio until 2019, and had Microsoft not had their head up their own ass, they could have ended up with both Spider-Man and Insomniac. Why didn't that happen? Because Microsoft chose not to foster a close relationship with a third-party studio.

Microsoft has never lost to Sony when it comes to video games. They have only ever lost to themselves.
I wasn't talking about any relationship issues between studios. If you want to add that to the conversation, feel free.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Here’s the problem nobody seems to want to talk about, yes games are software and Microsoft knows how to work that space, but games are entertainment which is a creative space and MS has no clue managing a creative space. Creative talent is not managed the same way as productivity software people. The product is not created in the same way. To make matters worse, Microsoft products tend to be completely devoid of culture, as Steve Jobs said they have no taste.

Sony has been deep in the entertainment industry for a long while, from music to movies, and games. And if you can manage the wacky, volatile nature of Hollywood creatives, and musicians? Well then you can handle games creatives.

This is the most objective answer I can give to how different these companies are, and how they approach gaming.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I wasn't talking about any relationship issues between studios. If you want to add that to the conversation, feel free.

It's literally the point of the post that you initially quoted. This is why I said that your initial response has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's literally the point of the post that you initially quoted. This is why I said that your initial response has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
The word "relationship" is nowhere in that post, so I don't agree at all. It's talking about Sony going for competence and MS going for exclusivity. I talked about exclusivity, and tied it back into acquisitions.

You can talk about whatever you want.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The word "relationship" is nowhere in that post, so I don't agree at all. It's talking about Sony going for competence and MS going for exclusivity. I talked about exclusivity, and tied it back into acquisitions.

You can talk about whatever you want.

The post said:

Sony focuses on getting competence where they feel they are lacking, such as Bungie and GaaS. They don't think about their competition when making acquisitions.

The word "relationship" doesn't need to be used, because the context should speak for itself. The purpose of Sony's acquisitions are to grow, and they are growing by fostering relationships with smaller studios so that they can gain competency in certain areas. The purpose of Microsoft's acquisitions are to grow, and they are growing by acquiring as many IPs as they can as quickly as possible. Microsoft isn't forming relationships with studios. They are just pointlessly growing their IPs while the studios that come with those IPs are left to fester with shitty management.

Just look at 343i, and even Arkane after that awful Redfall release. Keep in mind that Arkane/Bethesda/Zenimax were not working on Xbox exclusive titles, but once they were acquired by Microsoft they were forced to drop multi-platform titles and focus solely on Xbox. Which would be fine if Microsoft were working closely with their studios to make sure that things are on track both with timelines and quality, but obviously quality control is not something that Microsoft is pouring their focus into. Halo Infinite and Redfall make that pretty clear.

Sony have gone for talent as they are confident with their IP management. They are generally very cutthroat about IP and move on once they’ve reached a conclusion.

Microsoft have gone for IP as they lack big IP and their biggest have had rocky patches.

Sony have also heavily invested in their own teams, to the point that their studios work on more than one game at a time. We know Santa Monica, Guerilla, Naughty Dog and Insomniac, for example, are multi-game teams now. That’s an investment in talent.

If we look at the outliers to their normal acquisition routine, which would be Haven, Nixxes and Firewalk - it’s the talent that’s been secured.

cireza

Banned
Do you think that Square realized that Xbox wasn’t worth the hassle? No exclusivity deal for the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Collection and yet here we are…
They are waiting for Microsoft to pay for the games instead of the players. Seems pretty obvious by now.

Also, if anyone is buying an Xbox thinking they will have access to a large library of Japanese games, they are idiots.
I don't think that expecting multi-platform series to keep releasing on Xbox is idiotic. Nobody is asking for the next Utawarerumono to make it to Xbox (even if I would buy it haha).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The post said:

The word "relationship" doesn't need to be used, because the context should speak for itself. The purpose of Sony's acquisitions are to grow, and they are growing by fostering relationships with smaller studios so that they can gain competency in certain areas. The purpose of Microsoft's acquisitions are to grow, and they are growing by acquiring as many IPs as they can as quickly as possible. Microsoft isn't forming relationships with studios. They are just pointlessly growing their IPs while the studios that come with those IPs are left to fester with shitty management.

Just look at 343i, and even Arkane after that awful Redfall release. Keep in mind that Arkane/Bethesda/Zenimax were not working on Xbox exclusive titles, but once they were acquired by Microsoft they were forced to drop multi-platform titles and focus solely on Xbox. Which would be fine if Microsoft were working closely with their studios to make sure that things are on track both with timelines and quality, but obviously quality control is not something that Microsoft is pouring their focus into. Halo Infinite and Redfall make that pretty clear.
As I said, you are free to talk about this from any angle you want. I've got no problem with your post. Just wasn't what I was talking about. I talked about exclusivity, as mentioned in the post I quoted.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As I said, you are free to talk about this from any angle you want. I've got no problem with your post. Just wasn't what I was talking about. I talked about exclusivity, as mentioned in the post I quoted.

And as I mentioned, that wasn't the purpose of this thread or the post that you were quoting. You're free to talk about whatever angle you want, but when you try to correct someone by changing the subject, expect people to tell you that you're going off topic. Which is what I did.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And as I mentioned, that wasn't the purpose of this thread or the post that you were quoting. You're free to talk about whatever angle you want, but when you try to correct someone by changing the subject, expect people to tell you that you're going off topic. Which is what I did.
I didn't expect it because I don't think it's off topic. Said that in my first reply to you. I don't have anything else to add. Just repeating myself. And you're not a mod, so maybe you can reflect on why you feel the need to police the thread, causing the derail you claim to care about.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I actually think they are both trying to do what seems beneficial to their strength.

Sony is nowhere the size of Microsoft, they have take their bet on the talents they foreseen that might potentially and slowly creating good IPs for them in the future.

As for Microsoft, with their strength it wouldn't be to their best interest to compete with Sony on equal terms, they did what their best strength lies, brute force it and hope gaining advantage as fast as possible, buying already establish IP to overwhelm Sony with exclusive deals.

Nobody know how it will end.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Lol Jesus Christ.

"Hey guys, I want to go over the differences in acquisitions.."

THIRD-PARTY EXCLUSIVITY DEALS!

"That's not the topic of conversa-"

IT'S THE ANGLE I'M CHOOSING!

"Again, that has nothing to do wi-"

I'M NOT THE ONE WHO BROUGHT IT UP!

"Buddy, you litera-"

THIS PLACE IS DUMB!

THIS PLACE IS DUMB!

OK now for dumb time.

jim carrey harry GIF by Dumb and Dumber To

Why it no moving?

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Haven Studio - Jade Raymond co-creator of Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs franchises ar Ubisoft. Also includes Paola Jouyaux, Leon O'Reilly, Daniel Drapeau and Mathieu Leduc.

Firewalk was established in 2018 as a subsidiary of ProbablyMonsters, by veterans of game companies such as Bungie and Activision including former Activision executive Tony Hsu and former Bungie creative director Ryan Ellis, who worked on the Destiny franchise together.

Hopefully these teams produce something worthwhile and aren’t on GaaS duty, which is Sony’s big new focus. Firewall was established five years ago and I can’t find any mentions of a game they created. Can’t say I’m impressed.

I think this is just a story being spun to give the illusion of what both seem to be doing. In reality I’m sure there’s plenty of industry veterans on the Bethesda and id side - so really it’s likely just a matter of one side buying cheaper teams over the other.

Considering that talent comes and goes like we’ve seen with Arkane - nothing is ever set in stone. These teams will change as well. The one bonus for Microsoft being they gained some strong ip for their money.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I didn't expect it because I don't think it's off topic. Said that in my first reply to you. I don't have anything else to add. Just repeating myself. And you're not a mod, so maybe you can reflect on why you feel the need to police the thread, causing the derail you claim to care about.

I wasn't policing anything. I only said that your comment had nothing to do with the topic at hand. For some reason, you then wanted to argue about it.

And now you're just being a twat.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Microsoft is looking for content for Gamepass because they are, for whatever reason, incapable of creating their own. That is the driving force behind a lot of the decisions they're making. "How can we keep Gamepass fed?".

Sony has the luxury of thinking about the right fit. At least two of their acquisitions are new studios with experienced leadership and team but no released games. They're buying talent and giving them space to do what they do best.

Ahhhh good guy Sony ! Microsoft corporate devil 👿! Sony buys organically and with righteousness. Jesus this boils down to Sony has had their stable of studios longer. Microsoft literally had to start all over the only original studios they had were turn to and 343 coming out the 360 era everything else was bought recently. That’s where they messed up they relied heavily on 3rd parties and deals and it’s biting them. In a scenario where they had a stronger first party they could afford experimental dubs. But they have to continue on this is their first bad reviewed game this generation so let’s close the Xbox business lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ahhhh good guy Sony ! Microsoft corporate devil 👿! Sony buys organically and with righteousness. Jesus this boils down to Sony has had their stable of studios longer. Microsoft literally had to start all over the only original studios they had were turn to and 343 coming out the 360 era everything else was bought recently. That’s where they messed up they relied heavily on 3rd parties and deals and it’s biting them. In a scenario where they had a stronger first party they could afford experimental dubs. But they have to continue on this is their first bad reviewed game this generation so let’s close the Xbox business lol.
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Okay, so they had to reset after the 360. What have they been doing since?

Also, this is their first bad reviewed game? Are you serious? lol. First of all, they're getting this bad review because they bought another publisher and are now owning their bad games.

Microsoft has been so incredibly bad at delivering, that their last bad review was Halo Infinite in 2021.......think about that

FrankWza

They had a generation head start. Less than Nintendo did over Playstation in time and gens. And they're owned by one of the titans in tech. Demand more risk. That's the way to rewards. They don't want to do that. They want guaranteed results for their $ but they're the one console manufacture that can risk. If playstation or Nintendo had xbox last decade they would be close to or at the point of exiting the console business.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not sure their goals are entirely different. They both want to get you to give them your money.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Microsoft meanwhile has been acquiring huge IPs such as Elder Scrolls, Minecraft and attempted to get Call of Duty, even as much of the talent that created those franchises already left or transitions away during and after the acquisitions.
Who?? Notch??

FrankWza

I'm not sure their goals are entirely different. They both want to get you to give them your money.
They want to remove the choice though. That was what zeni and Activision were about. When given a choice, people pick Playstation and Nintendo 500 million + times each. Xbox has not even sniffed 100mil.
Make people want an xbox. People like to spend money.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They want to remove the choice though. That was what zeni and Activision were about. When given a choice, people pick Playstation and Nintendo 500 million + times each. Xbox has not even sniffed 100mil.
Make people want an xbox. People like to spend money.
Are you saying that Sony advocates for choice would recommend that someone buy from Nintendo or Microsoft instead of them? And that they don't sign platform exclusivity deals with third parties as a way to strengthen their position?

It would be good for folks to take the fan goggles off once in a while and stop assigning morality or virtue levels to corporations based on personal opinions. They make moves to secure content in different ways, but they all have the same goal. And that is to grab as much of the money in the pool as possible by bringing home games other platforms don't have as often as possible. I don't disagree that Microsoft is taking more drastic measures to drive people to their ecosystem and that Sony is much more subtle in their approach. But please don't insult everyone's intelligence by saying that Sony doesn't try to lock down content and have third-party games be exclusive to PlayStation while they are most commercially viable.

Okay, so they had to reset after the 360. What have they been doing since?

Also, this is their first bad reviewed game? Are you serious? lol. First of all, they're getting this bad review because they bought another publisher and are now owning their bad games.

Microsoft has been so incredibly bad at delivering, that their last bad review was Halo Infinite in 2021.......think about that
What other game this generation they had that reviewed badly please name them.

FrankWza

Are you saying that Sony advocates for choice would recommend that someone buy from Nintendo or Microsoft instead of them? And that they don't sign platform exclusivity deals with third parties as a way to strengthen their position?
It's still a risk. Forspoken isn't a system seller.
It would be good for folks to take the fan goggles off once in a while and stop assigning morality or virtue levels to corporations based on personal opinions.
It sure would. Especially when they pretend to be underdogs when they're backed by a behemoth.

But please don't insult everyone's intelligence by saying that Sony doesn't try to lock down content and have third-party games be exclusive to PlayStation while they are most commercially viable.
Again, they pick and choose their spots. There's only one of the 3 that can gobble up IPs and publishers. Nobody is stopping xbox from doing the same. That's my point. There's still too much risk for them because it involves speculation and strategy. That's when they lose. Gen after gen, decade after decade.

Top Bottom