• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces new wired Xbox stereo headset

Helghan

Microsoft has unveiled a refreshed Xbox stereo headset, a $59.99 wired model that’s more affordable than its stellar $100 wireless headset that launched earlier in 2021. It’s launching on September 21st, and as is to be expected, it’s missing a few features. But much of its design is intact. You can twist the dial on the outside of the right ear cup to adjust the volume, and there’s a mute button on the back side of the flexible microphone — mirroring what you get with the wireless version. The stereo headset doesn’t appear to have the chat / game audio mixing dial on the left ear cup as the pricier model does, but that’s not a horrible loss given the price difference.

This headset connects through your Xbox controller via its bold green 3.5mm cable and plug, meaning you can use it with other devices (and controllers) that support that plug. Microsoft says that the stereo headset supports spatial sound technologies like Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, and DTS:X, and that they feature “clean mid and high frequency performance with strong bass.” If the sound quality is anything like it is on the wireless version, many gamers should be happy with this $59.99 model. We’ll be testing it out soon to see how it holds up and compares to other similarly priced headsets.

It’s available for preorder now through Microsoft’s Store. Microsoft says that it will be available at other retailers, too.

Article link

Great headset for the price you are paying. $60 is pretty cheap.

iHaunter

The design is clean. I did not like the Pulse 3-D headset. Felt like my head was in a vice and the ear holes were WAYYYY too small.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ewwww it's fugly.

Not even for $60.

You put them on your ears not in front of your eyes.

On Topic
These are the cleanest looking "gamer" headsets.
I always wanted the Wireless Stereo but the price was alittle too rich for me.
But at this price point im all in ballsdeep.

3UP_JPG.jpg

Last edited:

elliot5

I don't really have an interest in a headset for Xbox as I don't play multiplayer much on console bc I stick to PC and discord for that. But the headset looks comfy. My roommate has the pulse 3d headset and it's so stiff and the earcups just literally cup your ears with some narrow stiff leather. I much prefer these plushier style earcups

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Not a bad option for those who want to save some cash, although I’d argue for $40 more, the wireless headset is worth it.

SkylineRKR

I have the wireless version, its awesome and beats the Pulse which I also have. The volume control alone beats it. But its more comfy on pronlonged sessions also.

Wired is nice probably as you can just plug it into the controller and the price is fair but I stick with wireless.

I gotta play quietly most of the time. Got the Pulse for PS5 and didn't want to buy a 2nd headset honestly. Might be tempted for only $60. Cool to have the option. But yeah, I need to pick up one of these to actually hear all the music and volume.

Reactions: Isa

R6Rider

Gold Member
Why can't they just release a headset with 3.5 jack input. Didn't their last headset completely lack that option?

I'll stick with my Pulse 3Ds when I get my Series X.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
:messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

Yeah, but unlike some of you unsociable neckbeards, I don't live alone in my basement grotto.

And so I have to actually be seen by humans wearing any headset I would buy.

Ohh I see.
Thats where the confusion is coming from.

You see the headsets, you put them on your ears, what they look like is irrelevant (these look beautiful), if you were looking for something to cover your face since you are clearly someone compassionate enough to not let the rest of the human race witness your mug.....that thing is called a Balaclava.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got a wired 3D audio headset that came with a Dolby Atmos code when I bought my XSX bundle. i like how that headset sounds. I wonder if this is better.

lem0n

Looking to replace my Astro A50 headset, this might do. The Astros sound fine but the battery is shit now, plus the microphone droops all the way down.

Have the Wireless version…excellent headset, especially for $99 U.S.

Shame I can’t use it on PS5 though…since the audio appears to be unchanged on these, may get the wired to play PS5 with.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If you are wearing a headset around people, that seems pretty unsociable, you cool guy with lots of headset friends.

Don't be sarcastic man, as if you don't wanna flex with the least important aspect when considering buying headphones when you look in the mirror and wonder why you're alone on a friday.

Pls bro..

Pls..

And don't get me started on wires.. Are you a real gamer? Wireless and design is where it's at homey. Fat alloy won't approve tssk.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The quality is unbelievable. I have the last gen model - I treat it like dirt and it hasn't got a single crack or tear in it. I don't use it for gaming but as regular headphones so they get a lot more abuse than they would in a standard living room.
I found their last gen one to be flimsy and cheaply made. Mine broke in 2 places, above each ear cup, from taking one ear off to take the headset off. Hopefully this is better.

I do love the wireless headset though, that’s well built.

Hot take: since built in mics on laptops and now the Dual Sense for the first time in a Sony controller headsets look ancient.
So does the built in mic on your dual sense allow you to play games with no sound coming from the tv and all the sound routed to your ears so no one else can hear? What a weird comment to make lol. This isn’t a mic, it’s a headset with speakers and a mic.

Yeah, but unlike some of you unsociable neckbeards, I don't live alone in my basement grotto.

And so I have to actually be seen by humans wearing any headset I would buy.
Where are you wearing them? :|

Last edited:
I picked up the Wireless one a few months back and love it. I’ve had better headphones but for the price they aren’t hard to beat.

Actually use it when WFH for Teams calls 😂

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Nice! I already have the wireless one which works great on my Xbox One, Modern Gaming PC and Mobile

I need a wired more stationary one for my secondary PC (which does not have BT built in and wont work well
with any BT dongle for some reason) and my vintage PC which does not support BT

Dane

As someone with a huge history of owning headsets, I'd take a wired headset with everything detachable. Traditional wired ones can stop working because of the cable and then you'll gonna need to do some DIY stuff like trying to cut what's not working and solder together, or at last resort, open the headset and try to replace the cable + audio controller. Wireless ones can have the issue of being tied to a unique key on the dongle, making the whole thing useless if it breaks.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned

This would be interesting if this was done first party by Microsoft, wireless, and built-in rumble features.

lucius

I like how comfortable the Steel Series7X is and it sounds good but not great imo, some sounds are not really that loud that are suppose to be unless you max the volume then there is some distortion. I use a wired XM4, I hated wired at first but the sound quality is so much better it’s a trade off worth it . I needed a ANC headphones anyway for other things. I think the 9 series is better sound I probably should got that because I only use my 7x for my switch and PC sometimes now.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
The quality is unbelievable. I have the last gen model - I treat it like dirt and it hasn't got a single crack or tear in it. I don't use it for gaming but as regular headphones so they get a lot more abuse than they would in a standard living room.
Sure? I bought my son the official wired Xbox headset last year. He really takes care of his stuff, yet after a month, the headset cracked where the earpiece attaches to the frame of the headset.

He still has the Razer Kraken I got him like three years ago that has seen hundreds of houres of use, and it's stil mint. I'll never buy another Xbox headset.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I found their last gen one to be flimsy and cheaply made. Mine broke in 2 places, above each ear cup, from taking one ear off to take the headset off. Hopefully this is better.

I do love the wireless headset though, that’s well built.

So does the built in mic on your dual sense allow you to play games with no sound coming from the tv and all the sound routed to your ears so no one else can hear? What a weird comment to make lol. This isn’t a mic, it’s a headset with speakers and a mic.

Where are you wearing them? :|
Having someone hear you play is the last thing you should be concerned about.

Good price, but wired sucks.
Wired?
What century is this?
>wired

vomit GIF

The price is really good though.
The levels of ignorance in this thread is astounding. Wireless means encoding, encoding means latency, and best of all it's lossy to boot. Wired provides higher quality and lower latency. Say what you will about convenience but wired is better in every single metric.

Wired>>>>Wireless for every single metric
And hey, look, someone who knows what he's talking about! How did I know you'd be the voice of reason, Don? Didn't even need to set foot in the thread.
Robert Redford Nod GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The levels of ignorance in this thread is astounding. Wireless means encoding, encoding means latency, and best of all it's lossy to boot. Wired provides higher quality and lower latency. Say what you will about convenience but wired is better in every single metric.

And hey, look, someone who knows what he's talking about! How did I know you'd be the voice of reason, Don? Didn't even need to set foot in the thread.
Robert Redford Nod GIF
wired, lower latency and higher quality MY ASS.
I've been using wired headphones my whole life. With amps, dacs, fiio gear etc etc... and once I got Pulse 3d I was like... wtf did I wasted money all these years?
I don't know about bluetooth crap but the 2,4ghz dongle wireless is fantastic. Absolutely no delay, no hiss and the sound quality is just as wired. I compared it to some headphones connected to fiio dac/amp on pc and did A/B pulse 3d wirelessly with other headphones wired and... There is "encoding bad quality or anything".
The lossless crap is something I also never understood... 128.. ok ... on SOME parts of the track You could always clearly hear compression. 192... not really.. 320? impossible to tell apart from 5x bigger flac. I've compared it so many times.
If there is a difference I cannot hear it and the benefit on having no wires is game changing. I only wish pulse 3d had better battery life.

Wired is a piece of overrated shit nowadays. IDK how many thousands of $$$ you would need to spend to hear the difference. Sony uses only 2.4ghz dongle because of bt delay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom