• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces new wired Xbox stereo headset

wired, lower latency and higher quality MY ASS.
I've been using wired headphones my whole life. With amps, dacs, fiio gear etc etc... and once I got Pulse 3d I was like... wtf did I wasted money all these years?
I don't know about bluetooth crap but the 2,4ghz dongle wireless is fantastic. Absolutely no delay, no hiss and the sound quality is just as wired. I compared it to some headphones connected to fiio dac/amp on pc and did A/B pulse 3d wirelessly with other headphones wired and... There is "encoding bad quality or anything".
The lossless crap is something I also never understood... 128.. ok ... on SOME parts of the track You could always clearly hear compression. 192... not really.. 320? impossible to tell apart from 5x bigger flac. I've compared it so many times.
If there is a difference I cannot hear it and the benefit on having no wires is game changing. I only wish pulse 3d had better battery life.

Wired is a piece of overrated shit nowadays. IDK how many thousands of $$$ you would need to spend to hear the difference. Sony uses only 2.4ghz dongle because of bt delay.
Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean it's not there. Your argument is exactly the same logic as the people who go around saying that they can't feel the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean it's not there. Your argument is exactly the same logic as the people who go around saying that they can't feel the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS.
It's not that.
I've searched for the difference. I was a "lite" audiophile for some time... on a budget but still.
I am not 92yo. I have good hearing :p
What I can say for sure because I don't have better headphones at hand - Pulse 3d sounds at least as good as takstar pro82 and koss porta pro. I like koss sound more and pulse 3d is very similar sounding.
But back to the topic - Where is the audio delay? TBH I didn't even noticed any delay on dualshock 4 audio jack and separate 2.4ghz dongle headphones are faster.
I know there is hiss on some wireless 2.4ghz models but I've not tried many. Also had a chance to listen few days to razer blackshark v2 pro which also had no lag and no hiss or audible compression... so these "wireless issues" claims are really overrated.

I will hold my position - Sound and signal quality is no worse nowadays with good wireless pair compared to wired. Just like wireless mice catched up in last 2-3 years.
Sound signature is a more personal/subjective thing. Signature you don't likes does not equal worse sound. I don't like the way takstar pro82 sounds because it's too sharp up top. Koss Porta pro was super fun and mid heavy but a bit muddy at times. Pulse 3d is similar to koss but with better separation and clearer lows.... so fantastic for me.
I dislike brainwavz hm5, steelseries acrtis pro, sennheiser hd598, akg k550... but I loved beyerdynamic dt770, akg k371. I don't remember but there are more...

Out of these I remember... I could argue that K371 sounded better than anything wireless I've heard. But not due to lack of compression or no lag...

But for gaming? It's cumbersome to connect dac amp to ps5 and so on. Wireless is extremely convenient, immersive and comfortable and if it's not audibly any worse?... why bother?
I kinda miss the Koss Porta pro or sennheiser px100-ii form factor thogugh. These sounded great and disappeared on your head. now sweat, no itching and you can still hear doorbell

Last edited:
wired, lower latency and higher quality MY ASS.
I've been using wired headphones my whole life. With amps, dacs, fiio gear etc etc... and once I got Pulse 3d I was like... wtf did I wasted money all these years?
I don't know about bluetooth crap but the 2,4ghz dongle wireless is fantastic. Absolutely no delay, no hiss and the sound quality is just as wired. I compared it to some headphones connected to fiio dac/amp on pc and did A/B pulse 3d wirelessly with other headphones wired and... There is "encoding bad quality or anything".
The lossless crap is something I also never understood... 128.. ok ... on SOME parts of the track You could always clearly hear compression. 192... not really.. 320? impossible to tell apart from 5x bigger flac. I've compared it so many times.
If there is a difference I cannot hear it and the benefit on having no wires is game changing. I only wish pulse 3d had better battery life.

Wired is a piece of overrated shit nowadays. IDK how many thousands of $$$ you would need to spend to hear the difference. Sony uses only 2.4ghz dongle because of bt delay.
Yeah that sounds like you can't really hear the differences in sibilance, transients, frequency ranges, dynamics, soundstage, etc. Which isn't anything to be ashamed of or feel abnormal, as this is a pretty normal thing.

Most people are perfectly fine buying Bose or Beats audio, or even gaming headsets. And they are perfectly fine with that.

On the other hand, there are some of us who value audio over visuals. I'd rather lose my eyesight than my hearing.

There's most definitely latency on Bluetooth. Very noticable at that actually. Ever run the guitar hero or Rockband latency setup? Thats what Bluetooth feels like, when the configuration isn't synced.

Amps/DACS make even more of a difference than the actual hardware. Ex: the headset or speakers you are using. Everything starts with a signal, and whether that initial signal is clean or dirty, makes a world of a difference, especially in signal to noise ratio. I'd rather shit speakers and quality signal, than shit signal and quality speakers.

Takeaway: just because someone can't tell the differences, doesn't mean there are no differences. I can tell the difference between 1/64th of an octave in a hearing test, and score 100% on heading tests. There's a difference, and it can be big, depending on the person.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah that sounds like you can't really hear the differences in sibilance, transients, frequency ranges, dynamics, soundstage, etc. Which isn't anything to be ashamed of or feel abnormal, as this is a pretty normal thing.

Most people are perfectly fine buying Bose or Beats audio, or even gaming headsets. And they are perfectly fine with that.

On the other hand, there are some of us who value audio over visuals. I'd rather lose my eyesight than my hearing.

There's most definitely latency on Bluetooth. Very noticable at that actually. Ever run the guitar hero or Rockband latency setup? Thats what Bluetooth feels like, when the configuration isn't synced.

Amps/DACS make even more of a difference than the actual hardware. Ex: the headset or speakers you are using. Everything starts with a signal, and whether that initial signal is clean or dirty, makes a world of a difference, especially in signal to noise ratio. I'd rather shit speakers and quality signal, than shit signal and quality speakers.

Takeaway: just because someone can't tell the differences, doesn't mean there are no differences. I can tell the difference between 1/64th of an octave in a hearing test, and score 100% on heading tests. There's a difference, and it can be big, depending on the person.
Read my post above.
True - I am not super picky but definitely above average and I know what I like.
And with age and growing jadedness... I just can't find the reason to care or the difference big enough to care.
I am starting to prefer convenience. That means more use of wireless headphones, maybe ps5 or other console over pc... who knows. Maybe I will go full old asshole and switch android to apple too lol... Am I dying inside? I do have to note, that I feel free and happy letting go of some stubborn "audio or pc master race" bs.

It's not that.
I've searched for the difference. I was a "lite" audiophile for some time... on a budget but still.
I am not 92yo. I have good hearing :p
What I can say for sure because I don't have better headphones at hand - Pulse 3d sounds at least as good as takstar pro82 and koss porta pro. I like koss sound more and pulse 3d is very similar sounding.
But back to the topic - Where is the audio delay? TBH I didn't even noticed any delay on dualshock 4 audio jack and separate 2.4ghz dongle headphones are faster.
I know there is hiss on some wireless 2.4ghz models but I've not tried many. Also had a chance to listen few days to razer blackshark v2 pro which also had no lag and no hiss or audible compression... so these "wireless issues" claims are really overrated.

I will hold my position - Sound and signal quality is no worse nowadays with good wireless pair compared to wired. Just like wireless mice catched up in last 2-3 years.
Sound signature is a more personal/subjective thing. Signature you don't likes does not equal worse sound. I don't like the way takstar pro82 sounds because it's too sharp up top. Koss Porta pro was super fun and mid heavy but a bit muddy at times. Pulse 3d is similar to koss but with better separation and clearer lows.... so fantastic for me.
I dislike brainwavz hm5, steelseries acrtis pro, sennheiser hd598, akg k550... but I loved beyerdynamic dt770, akg k371. I don't remember but there are more...

Out of these I remember... I could argue that K371 sounded better than anything wireless I've heard. But not due to lack of compression or no lag...

But for gaming? It's cumbersome to connect dac amp to ps5 and so on. Wireless is extremely convenient, immersive and comfortable and if it's not audibly any worse?... why bother?
I kinda miss the Koss Porta pro or sennheiser px100-ii form factor thogugh. These sounded great and disappeared on your head. now sweat, no itching and you can still hear doorbell
320kbit wired will sound better than APTX Bluetooth, which only works on Android. If you have an iPhone, your experiences worse audio quality, due to SBC (maybe that's changed recently?) I'm not sure what is supported by consoles, but fact still stands.

There's a big difference between 320kb and flac. You'll start to get diminishing returns going from 16bit flac, to 24bit, or even DSD256.

Also sound signature =/= better quality. It seems you prefer a more neutral sound based on your liked to disliked cans, but you lost me when you said you like the pulse 3d, which is the furthest thing from neutral sounding. It's a straight up V-curve sounding set of cans. Most gaming cans are v-shaped, rather than flat.

Last edited:
Read my post above.
True - I am not super picky but definitely above average and I know what I like.
And with age and growing jadedness... I just can't find the reason to care or the difference big enough to care.
I am starting to prefer convenience. That means more use of wireless headphones, maybe ps5 or other console over pc... who knows. Maybe I will go full old asshole and switch android to apple too lol... Am I dying inside? I do have to note, that I feel free and happy letting go of some stubborn "audio or pc master race" bs.
Nothing wrong with convenience, which was what my first post was about. Only thing wireless has over wired, is convenience. Evening else is a wash in comparison.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own priorities and preferences on what they like. What matters is that YOU'RE happy at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

The levels of ignorance in this thread is astounding. Wireless means encoding, encoding means latency, and best of all it's lossy to boot. Wired provides higher quality and lower latency. Say what you will about convenience but wired is better in every single metric.

And hey, look, someone who knows what he's talking about! How did I know you'd be the voice of reason, Don? Didn't even need to set foot in the thread.
Robert Redford Nod GIF
This man knows.

..Or woman, i'm 2021 you know.

..Or trans/they them, I dunno. But you know what counts is all i'm saying

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
320kbit wired will sound better than APTX Bluetooth, which only works on Android. If you have an iPhone, your experiences worse audio quality, due to SBC (maybe that's changed recently?) I'm not sure what is supported by consoles, but fact still stands.

There's a big difference between 320kb and flac. You'll start to get diminishing returns going from 16bit flac, to 24bit, or even DSD256.

Also sound signature =/= better quality. It seems you prefer a more neutral sound based on your liked to disliked cans, but you lost me when you said you like the pulse 3d, which is the furthest thing from neutral sounding. It's a straight up V-curve sounding set of cans. Most gaming cans are v-shaped, rather than flat.
Pulse 3d is difficult to describe. If I say it sounds like bd770 with less bass reach and less highs... Or like porta pro with lower reaching bass but generally more focused and less boosted with highs not as sibilant as 770 but better than koss :p
Or a bit closer to pro82 with middle bass ports and less sibilance.

Anyway. I never knew how to describe sound :p it's got a nice punchy lows but not taking the whole stage and scene is fantastic on some tracks. Generally pleasant sounding. Not k371 but nothing is :p ... But part of k371 experience was finding good seal and consent placement adjustment lol. (I couldn't deal with it)

Back to the topic
I've not used new Xbox headset but I recommend people to try wireless headsets. Not much more expensive than wired version. Sony could release wired pulse 3d to lower the price for dongle haters too. Why not. But they include 3.5mm in the box

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Sure? I bought my son the official wired Xbox headset last year. He really takes care of his stuff, yet after a month, the headset cracked where the earpiece attaches to the frame of the headset.

He still has the Razer Kraken I got him like three years ago that has seen hundreds of houres of use, and it's stil mint. I'll never buy another Xbox headset.

Yup. Is this the one he has?

Xbox_One_Stereo_Headset.jpg

jigglet

Banned
Yeah, that's the one. Pure trash.

Oh that’s a surprise. Mine is rock solid. Maybe cause I got mine early. I noticed MS’s quality control dropped hard. I have both first and late gen controllers. The first gen ones are some premium grade shit. The later ones all developed sticky face buttons and broken shoulder buttons.

I would if I knew people on xbox like I did back in 07. xbox live isn't the same without floods of people all using the included mics with their consoles.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sure? I bought my son the official wired Xbox headset last year. He really takes care of his stuff, yet after a month, the headset cracked where the earpiece attaches to the frame of the headset.

He still has the Razer Kraken I got him like three years ago that has seen hundreds of houres of use, and it's stil mint. I'll never buy another Xbox headset.

I have no experience with that model, so I'm not trying to dispute or disprove anything, I'm sure you are right about it being shoddy. But personal experience in general is a curious thing, and when it comes to headsets sometimes doubly so. I used a Kraken Pro v2 on my Xbox and it gave up after six months use.. It was also one of the most uncomfortable headsets I've ever had (sweaty and tight, gave me headaches). Of all my recent gaming headsets the last two years, (Razer Kraken Pro v2, Steelseries Arctis v7, HyperX Cloud Alpha, Logitech something-something and one of the new Xbox Wireless headsets (plus a ton of other non-gaming headsets like high end Sonys and Sennheisers)) the Steelseries Arctis v7 has been the most comfortable to wear, and the sound is generally good - But of course now its volume wheel is fucked.. The Xbox Wireless ironically otoh feels like the best thought out product and is intuitive in use (although slightly muffled bass), the way the mix and volume adjustment works is great, also the materials are better for me than the Kraken. But I always go back to the Steelseries, volume wheel be damned.

I guess, in the end my point is that when it comes to these things it's a mix of facts/objectivity, subjectivity, history, and random events/failures that often generates wildly different experiences for each user. My last two relatively expensive Sony headsets f.ex., they both failed, and now I'm apprehensive about buying another Sony headset again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom