• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces yet another 10-year deal, with firm behind Switch cloud games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-boot-logo.jpg

On Wednesday, the Xbox owner announced it had signed a ten-year agreement to stream Xbox PC Games, as well as Activision Blizzard titles after the acquisition closes, with Japanese cloud gaming company Ubitus.

Notably, Ubitus is the company which powers many of the cloud games available on Nintendo Switch, such as Guardians of the Galaxy, Hitman 3, Control and Resident Evil Village.

Microsoft has been trying to reassure regulators – such as the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) and the US’s Federal Trade Commission (FTC) – that it won’t make Activision Blizzard games (most notably Call of Duty) exclusive to its own cloud gaming service, should the deal be approved.

Microsoft used Wednesday’s announcement to repeat its claim that this deal and other partnerships will give more choice to more players.

So if the acquisition falls through will these companies reach out to Microsoft up looking to get to work and they respond with a loud "Naaaaaaaah bro...we cool on that lol"?

Are they close? I been avoided that megathread you all have going cause I feel like its going to be a war going on in there and I don't care for that stuff....I play my Activision/Blizzard games 100% on PC and damn near always have, so would this impact me? Shit I got PC Gamepass until 2025 will I be getting the stuff I buy from battlenet as part of that service?

//DEVIL//

Does doing stuff like this help them to secure the deal ? Wouldn't be more common sense to use their cloud servers to get that x switch game running ?

Kvally

Banned
Basically, they’ll sign a deal with any cloud provider using the Buy to Play model as long as you’re on Windows.

Lucky for them Stadia’s gone under. They don’t have to commit to porting games to Linux
Doesn't Xbox Cloud Gaming work in pretty much any browser? So you can play them on Mac, Windows or Linux via Edge/Chrome/Firefox/Safari?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So if the acquisition falls through will these companies reach out to Microsoft up looking to get to work and they respond with a loud "Naaaaaaaah bro...we cool on that lol"?
The contracts can likely have an opt-out clause making them void if the deal falls through, we will never know.

Tangerine

I don't understand how Sony's complaint keeps changing and they are still being taken seriously by the regulating bodies.

1: COD will be taken from PS.
2. We can't compete.
3: Three years is not adequate.
4: Ten years is not adequate.
5: We will get a broken, buggy version.

Have I missed one?
Damn.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
At this pace I'm expecting them to get on their knees and beg the CMA and FTC. Or does this already count?
This seems like quite the acquisition for sure. Jim Ryan is begging for it not to happen. MS is begging for it to happen. And here we sit on the outside looking in at those companies going at it. What I do know is that whether it happens or not, I have a new impression of Sony and MS (and acquisitions in general).

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Basically, they’ll sign a deal with any cloud provider using the Buy to Play model as long as you’re on Windows.

Lucky for them Stadia’s gone under. They don’t have to commit to porting games to Linux
Luna announcement incoming then?

Edit: Guess they aren't buy to play, so maybe just a publisher pass is the best they could offer (Gamepass lite)

You joke about Stadia, but it might not be so lucky for them. Google are one of the main opponents speaking up against this, they probably have relevant data and experience proving that services without games like Call of Duty can not command the attention of gamers. If any deals are tied to using Windows as the underlying tech (and Maybe even Azure services) then this is exactly what the regulators are wanting to stop, MS using power in one sector to artificially shape another one.

Last edited:

hlm666

Does doing stuff like this help them to secure the deal ? Wouldn't be more common sense to use their cloud servers to get that x switch game running ?
I don't follow the big thread closely but there were pages of arguing a while back that the cma was worried about cloud gaming the most or some shit, so it has the help with that to some degree but who knows how much it moves the needle. Will eventually find out one day.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They really going to go for every single cloud providor on the CMAs list and more....

...I get the play, this is 69 billion dollars and a massive investment to the future...but I think everyone is coming off as a bit slimy...I'm sure MSs lawyers are going for the approach of "make deals with every cloud provider the CMA had concerns for and there's no leg for them to stand on"

bold GIF

Are key Gaf users already searching the head offices of these companies and their CEOs?

Last edited:
I don't understand how Sony's complaint keeps changing and they are still being taken seriously by the regulating bodies.

1: COD will be taken from PS.
2. We can't compete.
3: Three years is not adequate.
4: Ten years is not adequate.
5: We will get a broken, buggy version.

Have I missed one?
Damn.

Protecting the kids?

Kvally

Banned
They really going to go for every single cloud providor on the CMAs list and more....

...I get the play, this is 69 billion dollars and a massive investment to the future...but I think everyone is coming off as a bit slimy...I'm sure MSs lawyers are going for the approach of "make deals with every cloud provider the CMA had concerns for and there's no leg for them to stand on"

bold GIF

Are key Gaf users already searching the head offices of these companies and their CEOs?
You had me at 69......😮

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This deal keeps getting better every day.

• Bringing COD to 150 million + new users
  • Embracing unions and healthy workplaces
  • Helping Ukraine through these trying times
  • More free games for Game Pass subscribers
  • Saving legacy Activison-Blizzard IPs that have been neglected for decades
  • Disrupting competitors ability to lock away content from other platforms

Brad, Phil and team doing the lords work.

Switch cloud COD games? I probably know why they are doing it, but that’s still very disappointing imo. Those will come out as good as the Resident Evil games, Thymesia and the Plague’s Tale cloud versions on the Switch most likely. Also, I think Microsoft is getting ahead of themselves when the deal hasn’t even been finalized yet.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Blame Sony for that. MS are willing to give them CoD but Sony are being pissy little bitches about it.

Maybe you need to think about all other letters in the contract. It’s not just here have 10 years. What does Sony benefit from all these MS 10 year give aways? MS would’ve never done it if this is part of the concessions. These services are not gonna say “meh no we don’t want to have ABK on our platform”. It’s not like they had it before.

Last edited:

bold GIF

Yep. Their concerns are being address point by point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom