• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: Xbox Series X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Qtrs in a Row. Sales tracking ahead of 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Good for them, but I get the feeling it's because the PS5 is and always has been nearly impossible to find due to high global demand. Meanwhile the X is back in stock in my area every few days it seems, and the S has been steadily available from the local Best Buy, Target, and Walmart for about eight or nine months now.

It's going to be interesting (and amusing) when the supply chain congestion finally comes to an end. It will be about three years after the consoles were released at that point, and we're going to be seeing people pouncing on supply drops for months on end as if the consoles had just come out.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No really. The Red Ring of Death fucked up all of if.
how much do you think the 360 would have sold anyways if the RROD didn't exist and MS actually made their console well- do you think the overall sales number would be higher, or lower?

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Yep. The Series S should be tracked separately. That would give a more accurate picture of their sales.

That's a lie but if it makes you feel better, keep deluding yourself.

The Series S doesn't even deserve to be called "next gen". It's an iterative half step up from the One X that is already struggling on some games two years into its lifespan. The specs of the Series S put it in a generational status all it's own and has no business being counted alongside the same sales numbers as the actual next gen Series X.
Lmao sounds like u mad Xbox doing well...series s runs ur beloved so amazingly good looking incredibly realistic matrix tech demo. Enough to warrant it a next gen machine even at lower resolutions

how much do you think the 360 would have sold anyways if the RROD didn't exist and MS actually made their console well- do you think the overall sales number would be higher, or lower?
I'd say 1/2 of the 360's were additional purchases.

But I will say the XSX will be around for a long time and has a shot at matching 360's numbers.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yep. The Series S should be tracked separately. That would give a more accurate picture of their sales.

The Series S doesn't even deserve to be called "next gen". It's an iterative half step up from the One X that is already struggling on some games two years into its lifespan. The specs of the Series S put it in a generational status all it's own and has no business being counted alongside the same sales numbers as the actual next gen Series X.
again, they should have just made the Series S a discless Series X that's identical in hardware. If you're worth 1 trillion dollars you can afford to take the loss
this is going to bite Xbox in the ass in the future and keep in mind i own a Series S so that's saying something- if all of your consumers are playing on a weaker system, people are gonna start complaining their stuff doesn't look nearly good as the equivalent stuff on PC/PS5

again, they should have just made the Series S a discless Series X that's identical in hardware. If you're worth 1 trillion dollars you can afford to take the loss
this is going to bite Xbox in the ass in the future and keep in mind i own a Series S so that's saying something- if all of your consumers are playing on a weaker system, people are gonna start complaining their stuff doesn't look nearly good as the equivalent stuff on PC/PS5
What is inevitably going to happen is that they'll follow the mobile model and just have games that will only work on Series X at some point and spin it as them moving beyond the concept of generations, they already talked about that sort of stuff in the past. They are shameless when it comes to walking back on promises, just like when they said the One X would have VR support but then just said "actually nope, that was just a lie".

Last edited:

Jaybe

“been the market leader in North America for 3 quarters in a row among next-gen consoles," said Nadella
Assuming this is in units and not revenue? Or would it be both? Wish they would be more precise with these statements, but I suppose units is probably the more long-term impactful ideas the two.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd say 1/2 of the 360's were additional purchases.

But I will say the XSX will be around for a long time and has a shot at matching 360's numbers.
honestly i think 1 half is quite a lot too much- that implies that a whole 40 million people bought another Xbox after their xbox stopped working, which is too high of a number. I know if my console had a widespread issue, i'd be incredibly skeptical about buying from that company, let alone giving them EVEN MORE money and buying a whole ass second console. Also, you have to consider the people who held off on buying a 360 because of the RROD becoming such an inconvenience. by the time the 360 got that issue sorted out the PS3 would have been a more appealing, cheaper option, and they might have bought that instead

how much do you think the 360 would have sold anyways if the RROD didn't play into question- do you think the overall sales number would be higher, or lower?
MS itself is on record that they didn't make money (profits) neither on the OG xbox/360 and Xbox one generation.

Now, to answer your question. Just anecdotally. I knew several people that at the end of the generation had around 5 360 each. Cuz of the RRoD.

So... I don't know how much more that end number was inflated by that issue. But if I remember correctly (I don't know if Phill himself) said in an interview/docu. That the issue with the 360 was a 'billion solar problem' and could have meant the end of the brand.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What is inevitably going to happen is that they'll follow the mobile model and just have games that will only work on Series X at some point and spin it as them moving beyond the concept of generations, they already talked about that sort of stuff in the past. They are shameless when it comes to walking back on promises, just like when they said the One X would have VR support but then just said "actually nope, that was just a lie".
judging by how we're not even out of cross gen yet and the Series S is struggling ALREADY, i'd say you're right here. If the Series S ends up being the console to sell the most it's gonna end up making 9th gen out to be a worse gen than it is. imagine people 10 years into the future talking about how "the graphics weren't even that much better than 8th gen" or some shiz like that, it'd be wild
Then again, i DID support them and i am happy so i don't have much of a right to complain. but Sony's idea while more expensive seems to be better in the long run

honestly i think 1 half is quite a lot too much- that implies that a whole 40 million people bought another Xbox after their xbox stopped working, which is too high of a number. I know if my console had a widespread issue, i'd be incredibly skeptical about buying from that company, let alone giving them EVEN MORE money and buying a whole ass second console. Also, you have to consider the people who held off on buying a 360 because of the RROD becoming such an inconvenience. by the time the 360 got that issue sorted out the PS3 would have been a more appealing, cheaper option, and they might have bought that instead
You have to go back in time to the gaming world at that time. The Xbox 360 was the first real Multiplayer console box. If you wanted to keep playing with all the friends you made and your machine red ringed, you replaced it with what your friends were using and that was the same box.
My friends did all kinds of silly things to keep the box going for game nights, or miss out.

Kagey K

Banned
That's what we are talking about it isn't?
The way you phrased it doesn't seem like that, it looks like you are trying to say they didn't make a single dollar in gaming during those generations.

It also is a needless aside to the question you were replying to.

Last edited:

MScarpa

"We beat the PS5 for 3 quarters in North America (our strongest market) while the PS5 was heavily supply constrained due to production problems and failed to meet it's targets. Also, the Switch doesn't count because we sold less than it did."

They sure like to console war when it suits them, classic MS: "We don't talk about unit sales. Unless we have some shots to fire and info that suits us. But if we don't say anything please don't assume the worst."
Hey welcome back man. I'm glad MS along with Nintendo and Sony are doing well, all things considered, Competition is great for us all. With that said, you should dial it down a little. I don't want to see anyone go no matter who it is. Remember it's just games buddy. 😘

The way you phrased it doesn'tt seem like that, it looks like you are trying to say they didn't make a single dollar in gaming during those generations.

It also is a needless aside to the question you were replying to.
Wait wat?.we are talking consoles sold.

And I'm clearly answering the question with a:

"Now, to answer your question"

The first paragraph is just to put in perspective that the consoles sold (specially in the 360 era -the most successfully Xbox of all those three). Is basically irrelevant.

chromhound

QpaNbqi.jpg

Last edited:
Hey welcome back man. I'm glad MS along with Nintendo and Sony are doing well, all things considered, Competition is great for us all. With that said, you should dial it down a little. I don't want to see anyone go no matter who it is. Remember it's just games buddy. 😘
Is that a threat? You overestimate how much I care. If this isn't a place for me so be it, I won't lie just to please people that can't handle the truth, I'm never disrespectful to anyone yet I'm constantly getting banned while people that do much worse all the time (in a cynical way) get away with it.

The whole idea that we have to somehow fall in line with PR speak is absurd.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not sure if they’re talking about worldwide or North America. Saw a graph for Xbox One and Xbox 360 worldwide sales anyhow which would put Xbox Series at minimum 16 million units after 20 month.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is that a threat? You overestimate how much I care. If this isn't a place for me so be it, I won't lie just to please people that can't handle the truth, I'm never disrespectful to anyone yet I'm constantly getting banned while people that do much worse in cynical way get away with it.

i get your passion but at the end of the day it really is just video games
I have concern too but i can't imagine getting this riled up over PR speak from a company you don't even like 🤷‍♂️

i get your passion but at the end of the day it really is just video games
I have concern too but i can't imagine getting this riled up over PR speak from a company you don't even like 🤷‍♂️
If it's just video games why should I not speak the truth? Why should anyone be offended over my opinion on stuff that doesn't matter at all? As long as I'm not offending other users and lying I don't see why I should police myself, the rude mods running this place are free to do whatever they want, it's bound to happen eventually anyway.

Riled up? What are you even talking about? All I did with my post was to translate the real meaning behind the message by removing the PR pleasantries.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not sure if they’re talking about worldwide or North America. Saw a graph for Xbox One and Xbox 360 worldwide sales anyhow which would put Xbox Series at minimum 16 million units after 20 month.

I think Series should be beyond that by now. Last credible (as in non VGChartz) figures had it at beyond 12m in Janaury.

Kagey K

Banned
When talking about it being the best selling Xbox he's talking about total worldwide sales.

Most sales estimates I've seen has it over 16m now.

The 3 quarters part is for NA.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It was up at Walmart earlier this week as well.

Plus you are going to need the second dualshock when the spring breaks on the one in the box. :messenger_winking:
It's funny that you think controller issues are exclusive to PlayStation lol

My original Dualsense is absolutely fine btw

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Riled up? What are you even talking about? All I did with my post was to translate the real meaning behind the message by removing the PR pleasantries.
you're not WRONG but at the same time you're really trying to spin it around as a negative (going by the wording in your post) when at the end of the day, the original report still had some truth to it. I don't think anybody who isn't riled up would try to bring up that many excuses when you could have just said "don't care PS5 will still outsell" and go on with your merry day

Fredrik

But at the end of the day guys....why are we even talking about consoles sold?....that metric is irrelevant for success. 😆
You thinking about cloud gaming?
While it’s true that things could look even better than hardware figures are showing it’s certainly not making things worse knowing the hardware is also selling well. Already started as Xbox’s best generation yet and the games has barely started appearing yet.

you're not WRONG but at the same time you're really trying to spin it around as a negative (going by the wording in your post) when at the end of the day, the original report still had some truth to it. I don't think anybody who isn't riled up would try to bring up that many excuses when you could have just said "don't care PS5 will still outsell" and go on with your merry day
Are you actually replying to the right person? I don't even follow what you are saying. Excuses for what? What I find funny here is how MS can't never help themselves when they think they got some info that makes them look good when compared to PlayStation yet will always pretend that they don't care otherwise, the whole passive aggressive thing combines with other false statements is what makes it funny.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I still only have demon's souls on ps5 , what a system

It's as exciting as looking for something new on Netflix, there's fucking nothing

Edit: Xbox is not better, I mean, this console generation feels forced and we're being given mostly remaster or next gen version of existing games. It's been almost two years right? Both system have had couple of new games here and there but that's about it. Maybe I'm too impatient! I'm looking forward for psvr2 a lot though.

Last edited:

Fredrik

In Sweden it's easy to get an XSX but impossible to get a PS5. How do they do it?
Scalpers are thriving here unfortunately, I haven’t once seen one physically at a store but they do pop up for minutes once in awhile online. I got mine by using a tracker that check popular stores every 30 seconds, I found a bundle with an extra controller which I assume tracker bots weren’t tuned to catch yet, hammered through the order info in seconds, a few minutes later all were gone.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

37BpLJc.jpg

Kerotan

While this may true, I believe the real reason is because the PS5 is still impossible to find while you can get series S especially and X everywhere almost.

I also believe sales will shift towards Xbox when COD is on game pass. That will really boost the Xbox. Especially if the deal is closed and they can get COD MW2 in time for game pass
Sony has that locked down in contract. It ain't going to gamepass. Anyway if ps5 and Xbox were both readily available ps5 would sell a lot more.

MScarpa

Is that a threat? You overestimate how much I care. If this isn't a place for me so be it, I won't lie just to please people that can't handle the truth, I'm never disrespectful to anyone yet I'm constantly getting banned while people that do much worse all the time (in a cynical way) get away with it.

Nobody is threatening you. I literally just told you I don't want to see anyone go, no matter their stance. You get so mad and so defensive. Just relax, they really are just games. It's why we are here, to have fun, and to have good civil discussions. I understand you hate MS with a passion and that's okay, but we don't need it in every XBOX thread. GAF isn't like the other game forums you post on. There are rules here.

RyanEvans21

I got one from amazon.ca and one from bestbuy.ca funnily enough lol.

Last week there were 10+ bundles available at my local gamestop, you could walk in and walk out with a ps5 no issues.

Canada or California? because i cant find one here in Los Angeles. So far no email from sony or amazon (Registered from their website).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom