• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft claims it can get Call of Duty Warzone and MW2 running natively on Switch

Draugoth

Gold Member
cod-switch-1280x720-1-1024x576.jpg

Microsoft claims that because Warzone “[supports] PC hardware with GPU cards that were released as far back as 2015,” there’s no reason it couldn’t optimise the 200-player battle royale work on Nintendo Switch.

“The Activision development team has a long history of optimizing game performance for available hardware capabilities

Microsoft goes on to claim that since “the game engine that powers Warzone is mature and has been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware devices (ranging from the Xbox One console released in 2015 up to the Xbox Series X),” it could be altered to run on the Nintendo Switch, which was released in 2017.

However, this is a clear error, since the original Xbox One was released in 2013, not 2015, arguably strengthening Microsoft’s point.

Microsoft then cites Apex Legends, Doom Eternal, Fortnite, and Crysis 3 as similar titles that have been successfully ported to Switch using “standard techniques.”

It wrote:

“The Parties are confident that in addition to Warzone, CoD buy-to-play titles (e.g., CoD: Modern Warfare 2) can be optimised to run on the Nintendo Switch in a timely manner using standard techniques which have been used to bring games such as Apex Legends, DOOM Eternal, Fortnite and Crysis 3 to the Switch.

Banned
of course they can port it over. but they would need to replace basically all assets, it would basically be like a de-master.

but then again, that's exactly what Activision did back on the Wii where multiple CoD games got Wii ports that were nearly feature complete to the HD versions

Robb

Gold Member
No doubt in my mind that it’s possible, just depends on how much time and money you want to spend developing the port.

splattered

Am I the only one that thought MS was referring to an eventual Switch 2 with the Call of Duty news? I believe MS said they would bring it to "Nintendo platforms" and
didn't name specific consoles

Well it's not like they can just start talking about Switch 2 if they have privileged knowledge... plan is probably get it running on switch-1 natively now and port to switch-2 proper once it's released.

Saber

Gold Member
Running and running well are 2 different things for me.
It could run like ass, but still be considered to be running. And I frankly not a fan of using Doom as an example because the game looks like a blurry mess on Switch.
I know cutbacks are necessary and when someone port to Switch with the less possible drawback and still retains the same experience, that group deserves praise. But I'm not the one to keep spamming the "its a miracle" crap everytime something is ported to Switch, taking away everything from the game until is barelly recognizable.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Xbox One is significantly more powerful than the Switch.

Here is how Warzone runs on Xbox One: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-warzone-20-tested-on-all-last-gen-consoles

900p at best, going down to 800x450 (lower than I played games on my Voodoo2 PC in 1999), 30-50fps, horrible input latency, majorly cut back art/textures. In other words it runs like shit and is below the bare minimum of acceptable in 2023. It's clearly an afterthought as I would be surprised if Xbox One S is more than 10% of the userbase, but I also doubt they could do any better if it was a priority. Microsoft is obviously stretching the truth here.

Last edited:

Banned
The Xbox One is significantly more powerful than the Switch.

Here is how Warzone runs on Xbox One: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-warzone-20-tested-on-all-last-gen-consoles

900p at best, going down to 800x450 (lower than I played games on my Voodoo2 PC in 1999), 30-50fps, horrible input latency. In other words it runs like shit and is below the bare minimum of acceptable in 2023. It's clearly an afterthought as I would be surprised if Xbox One S is more than 10% of the userbase, but I also doubt they could do any better if it was a priority. Microsoft is obviously stretching the truth here.

the Xbox One version is just a straight pc port with basically no work done to properly optimise it for the system other than lowering the settings.

if they give this to a proper studio that recreates all assets to be better suited for the Switch it could run well.

Low frame rate battle royale?

Technically they got Cyberpunk to run on a 2013 Xbox One as well. But no one is going to act like that was a playable experience when the game launched.

diffusionx

Gold Member
the Xbox One version is just a straight pc port with basically no work done to properly optimise it for the system other than lowering the settings.

if they give this to a proper studio that recreates all assets to be better suited for the Switch it could run well.
With Witcher 3 or whatever, sure, they could basically remake the whole game. Thing is, we are talking about live service titles. You need to be able to churn out content and updates quickly. Having to make N versions of every bit of content becomes a major problem. Especially when those are very small portions of the overall userbase.

Flutta

Banned
Funny GIF

MS still think they can fool people with their PR diarrhea in 2023….

How about you focus on that thing called Series S that can’t even run Baldur’s Gate 3 properly before pretending you know how to run games on an even weaker HW.

Last edited:

Banned
With Witcher 3 or whatever, sure, they could basically remake the whole game. Thing is, we are talking about live service titles. You need to be able to churn out content and updates quickly. Having to make N versions of every bit of content becomes a major problem. Especially when those are very small portions of the overall userbase.

look at Fortnite.
that game now has 2 completely separate sets of assets, one for mobile and one for console.

it has 3 different lighting systems, one for mobile, one for last gen consoles and lumen on current gen.
in the PC version you can use all of these btw. by using the Performance API you can use the Mobile assets and you can of course chose between the DX11 lighting and Lumen.

releasing skins and updates for both versions wouldn't be much of an issue I bet.

of course they can port it over. but they would need to replace basically all assets, it would basically be like a de-master.

but then again, that's exactly what Activision did back on the Wii where multiple CoD games got Wii ports that were nearly feature complete to the HD versions
Yes, since developers are not creative enough anymore to invent new gameplay mechanics only graphics improve, and those are easiest to scale down. I’m sure you’d be able to run the latest COD on a PS2 if you think only about the gameplay and not the graphics. (PSX might be pushing it).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just like Witcher 3 on Nintendo DS.

I don't know what that is (the game with settings turned down below what is normally possible I guess), but it looks nothing like anything the DS could ever run. More like PS2 version (actually it still looks too complex for that too).

I know, no fun allowed.

Last edited:

splattered

Of course they CAN but should they and would people play it?

They probably would, yes... people play COD Mobile because of the convenience, i'm sure lots of people would like to play something even resembling the full experience that they can take with them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, they can port XBox One games on the Switch but they dont even make XBox Ones anymore. Let alone sell them. Next gen games designed on the PS5 and XSX simply cannot run on the switch.

Three

Microsoft goes on to claim that since “the game engine that powers Warzone is mature and has been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware devices (ranging from the Xbox One console released in 2015 up to the Xbox Series X),” it could be altered to run on the Nintendo Switch, which was released in 2017.

However, this is a clear error, since the original Xbox One was released in 2013, not 2015, arguably strengthening Microsoft’s point.

I'm not sure how MS own error can be used to strengthen MS' point. If anything they are being dishonest about how old hardware needs to be to be to even be above Switch in terms of performance.

Last edited:

GHG

Considering they cited Doom Eternal and that thry now own id software, the regulators should ask for proof of concept - a full multiplayer match on any map of the Switch version playing against people on the Xbox/playstaion and PC versions.

Because that's what's been promised.

Top Bottom