• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft claims it can get Call of Duty Warzone and MW2 running natively on Switch

oldergamer

cod-switch-1280x720-1-1024x576.jpg

Microsoft claims that because Warzone “[supports] PC hardware with GPU cards that were released as far back as 2015,” there’s no reason it couldn’t optimise the 200-player battle royale work on Nintendo Switch.

Microsoft goes on to claim that since “the game engine that powers Warzone is mature and has been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware devices (ranging from the Xbox One console released in 2015 up to the Xbox Series X),” it could be altered to run on the Nintendo Switch, which was released in 2017.

However, this is a clear error, since the original Xbox One was released in 2013, not 2015, arguably strengthening Microsoft’s point.

Microsoft then cites Apex Legends, Doom Eternal, Fortnite, and Crysis 3 as similar titles that have been successfully ported to Switch using “standard techniques.”

It wrote:
They are saying warzone released in 2015, not Xbox one.

Knightime_X

How large will updates on switch be?
Damn game seems to download Dreamcast's entire library on a weekly basis

Last edited:

Three

What MS actually secretly mean:

5030917070976_l.jpg

Considering they cited Doom Eternal and that thry now own id software, the regulators should ask for proof of concept - a full multiplayer match on any map of the Switch version playing against people on the Xbox/playstaion and PC versions.

Because that's what's been promised.

They should ask how many people want it and see if there is an actual market for it to question why Activison haven't done this themselves. Nobody is buying a VW Beetle to enter Le Mans. Those 30fps 640p players with their Switch wifi aren't going to be having a lot of fun online.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Why do I have to entertain that bs? If MS says they can port Cyberpunk and Ratchet and Clank to the Switch I just have to entertain that bs too?

Gimme a break

You seem upset... It's not necessary...
Microsoft is on the way to purchase Activision, both companies are working closely preparing the merger and they could even have worked closely before. It's quite possible Microsoft does know the tech behind COD and they have clearly experience working with the Switch... There would most likely be compromises but Microsoft also has a lot of experience when it comes to scalability. From all the things Microsoft has said this is the most believable one.

EN250

Eh, It could run on a PS3 I guess if you strip everything that makes the game what it is today in order to fit into that old console
I mean, right now Activision could port the games to Switch without need from MS, but without some major cutbacks I don't see it tbh and that's why they didn't bother, we're only talking about it because MS brought it to the table

Also tech wise Idk how far is the Switch from X1-PS4 in terms of real power, but I'm sure X1 run circles around the Switch, so idk how feasible it is to achieve parity or whatever

COD can run on the switch just like doom eternal or Witcher 3. Im pretty sure switch owners will be okay with it since it is a hand held first and foremost. Also, it is better to get the game than it is to not get it at all.

NickFire

PR gonna PR.

If anyone cared about CoD on the Switch, there would be CoD on the Switch. Activision tried those experiments many times in the past on Nintendo platforms.
This is the rare instance where I say please be PR, please be PR, please be pretty little white lies.

Cause is Switch becomes the minimum spec for COD in the next few years . . . . . .

oldergamer

of course they can get it to run. it would be visually different, but still able to run. Not like multiplayer games are as graphically intensive as single player titles anyway

Rat Rage

This is so fucking funny! :messenger_tears_of_joy: They're trying to use the Switch as a Trojan Horse to get their insane (which, by the way, would be really bad for the industry) Activision deal approved. They are so desperate. This is really the best strategy they have left? Fucking lol! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Deerock71

This is so fucking funny :messenger_tears_of_joy: They're trying to use the Switch as a Trojan Horse to get their insane (which, by the way, would be really bad for the industry) Activision deal approved. They are so desperate. This is really the best strategy they have left? Fucking lol!
What was actually insane was ignoring an installed base of 122 million screens, which might play partly into the reason why they were in a position to be purchased in the first place.

Warablo

I believe it, you can downscale. Especially a game like CoD. Not sure about Warzone though, that is a lot of online stuff which Nintendo sucks at.

Nydius

I'm sure they can strip down enough elements to get it running on Switch.
Blizzard got Overwatch running on Switch, after all.
It runs like dog shit, but it runs...

Last edited:

Hugare

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

IW have been saying for years now that they couldnt trim down the size of the game to less than 100 gb

Even with heavily compressed textures, sound and all that, I dont know if they would be able to fit it into a cart

And even if they are able to do that, to make the game run at a stable 30 FPS would require something else

Havent been done before because its not worth it.

knocksky

Banned
With Witcher 3 or whatever, sure, they could basically remake the whole game. Thing is, we are talking about live service titles. You need to be able to churn out content and updates quickly. Having to make N versions of every bit of content becomes a major problem. Especially when those are very small portions of the overall userbase.
And that's their problem. They have committed to it, and will do it.

Surely we are not heading down the the path that it's not possible because a regulator said something to try and justify their position. And it is obviously a regurgitation of something that someone has said to them

Spyxos

Gold Member
I believe it, you can downscale. Especially a game like CoD. Not sure about Warzone though, that is a lot of online stuff which Nintendo sucks at.
In Fortnite, I couldn't even see distant enemies, they were 1-2 pixels tall. Cod would definitely be a lot worse.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

IW have been saying for years now that they couldnt trim down the size of the game to less than 100 gb

Even with heavily compressed textures, sound and all that, I dont know if they would be able to fit it into a cart

And even if they are able to do that, to make the game run at a stable 30 FPS would require something else

Havent been done before because its not worth it.
The elephant in the room.

Saber

Gold Member
In Fortnite, I couldn't even see distant enemies, they were 1-2 pixels tall. Cod would definitely be a lot worse.

Yeah, it seems alot of people are downplaying this. Activision didn't born yesterday, they know they could farm alot of money on Switch. But they also would have alot of trouple, multiplayer wouldn't be smooth at all, they wouldn't cash their store with microtransactions as much, problems with space and constant updates because of its GaaS nature, etc. Wouldn't be worth the trouple.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Another look how good we can be if you let us buy up everything. Don't forget we care about Sony...

You're not getting Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 but we care.
Better argument than "they will hide bugs on the final level".

Barakov

Gold Member
cod-switch-1280x720-1-1024x576.jpg

Microsoft claims that because Warzone “[supports] PC hardware with GPU cards that were released as far back as 2015,” there’s no reason it couldn’t optimise the 200-player battle royale work on Nintendo Switch.

Microsoft goes on to claim that since “the game engine that powers Warzone is mature and has been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware devices (ranging from the Xbox One console released in 2015 up to the Xbox Series X),” it could be altered to run on the Nintendo Switch, which was released in 2017.

However, this is a clear error, since the original Xbox One was released in 2013, not 2015, arguably strengthening Microsoft’s point.

Microsoft then cites Apex Legends, Doom Eternal, Fortnite, and Crysis 3 as similar titles that have been successfully ported to Switch using “standard techniques.”

It wrote:
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Top Bottom