• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft comments on the PlayStation Showcase

Astray

Gold Member
The pearl clutching at this tweet is borderline absurd.

This *is* the point of Gamepass. We all know how much MS is struggling with their first party output, but being able to offer a large amount of third party content at significantly less cost than your competitor, is the commercial incentive that they are offering to consumers.
I'd be very surprised if any of those specific games came to gamepass on launch.

splattered

Sony always said bungie would remain third party. They kept their promise.
Better than canceling in development versions of games as soon as they acquired, like others did.

Microsoft knew Redfall was gonna be mid and just did Sony fans a favor, that's all :p

Ozriel

M$FT
Imagine being a console maker and be proud of third party games lmfao.

Why wouldn’t any platform holder be proud of significant third party content?

We just had a showcase where the leading console maker proudly showed off third party games.

This may well be the weirdest comment in this thread, and that takes some doing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Sony always said bungie would remain third party. They kept their promise.
Better than canceling in development versions of games as soon as they acquired, like others did.
Such a bullshit comparison. Bungie makes service games. Canceling work other platforms for one shit game is MS's prerogative. Why should they put resources into something? Because you think you are entitled to it or something? It's just business. It makes sense for MS to no longer publish small games on PS, just like it makes sense for Sony to publish live service games on all platforms that can run it. Why is one form of money chasing good when the other is not?

Astray

Gold Member
Normally what happens is people start going around for 3P press releases etc and eventually fill in the picture within a day or two max, the longest it took was for the Persona ports iirc.

What they did here is just.. weird.

"y-you can buy those games here too haha".

It's a good dunk, but that's all it ever will be, it caters to the fanbase on Twitter for a couple thousand likes, when what they should be doing is securing those marketing contracts themselves and using the hype behind those games to bring the platform forward and get more normies on board.

Very strange behavior if you ask me.

Ozriel

M$FT
Normally what happens is people start going around for 3P press releases etc and eventually fill in the picture within a day or two max, the longest it took was for the Persona ports iirc.

What they did here is just.. weird.

"y-you can buy those games here too haha".

It's a good dunk, but that's all it ever will be, it caters to the fanbase on Twitter for a couple thousand likes, when what they should be doing is securing those marketing contracts themselves and using the hype behind those games to bring the platform forward and get more normies on board.

Very strange behavior if you ask me.

No. The majority of regular gamers don’t go around checking platforms. For most people, the only trailers for these games they’ll watch is the ones from the Showcase going ‘coming to PS5’ and listing Sony consoles only as release platforms.

It’s weird to see you in Xbox threads criticizing the brand for not executing well, but still turn around to attack them for benign marketing. Your advice would be to sit back and do nothing, in the expectation that eventually casuals would find out the full range of release platforms?

Why would you even see it as a ‘dunk’, anyway? It’s never been a bad thing to have multi-platform games at your conference.

I had a conversation in one of my gaming WhatsApp groups one hour after the show ended. the person I was talking to still thought Kojima was at Konami. Not everyone is hyper informed as you are.

Astray

Gold Member
No. The majority of regular gamers don’t go around checking platforms
Which is why marketing contracts work.

It’s weird to see you in Xbox threads criticizing the brand for not executing well, but still turn around to attack them for benign marketing. Your advice would be to sit back and do nothing, in the expectation that eventually casuals would find out the full range of release platforms?
But this is not executing well at all. I stated what would be good execution: getting marketing deals going. Temp exclusivity is expensive for Xbox right now, but marketing deals aren't, and they work on uninformed masses that don't know where Kojima works right now.

The entire point of marketing is to reach people, how did this help Xbox reach anyone that isn't already following Xbox? How does this move the needle in any way that isn't "Timdog/Colt Eastwood will retweet this"?

Also, there are no 'Xbox threads', there are neogaf threads and as long as I'm civil with people and respect the rules I get to post in them as much as I want.

Why would you even see it as a ‘dunk’, anyway? It’s never been a bad thing to have multi-platform games at your conference.
Because it's literally a dunk (and a good one too). It's basic social competence to be able to see this for what it is.

Why else would they feel the urgency to post this when they have their own show to hype and new games releasing on their own platform every week or so?

Ozriel

M$FT
But this is not executing well at all. I stated what would be good execution: getting marketing deals going. Temp exclusivity is expensive for Xbox right now, but marketing deals aren't, and they work on uninformed masses that don't know where Kojima works right now.

The entire point of marketing is to reach people, how did this help Xbox reach anyone that isn't already following Xbox? How does this move the needle in any way that isn't "Timdog/Colt Eastwood will retweet this"?

You can do multiple things at the same time. Secure marketing deals for some third party games, and still point out that other third party games are coming to your platform.

Not only does the xbox handle have a lot of followers, but Tweets can be shared, retweeted etc. just like how it’s being shared here. Reach goes well beyond the follower count.

Not all the games shown in the showcase are tied to marketing deals.

Because it's literally a dunk (and a good one too). It's basic social competence to be able to see this for what it is. Why else would they feel the urgency to post this when they have their own show to hype and new games releasing on their own platform every week or so?

Joke question? Why would they feel the need to post this now when the games are trending and when people are looking for the most info about these games?

What would the ‘dunk’ be about anyway? There’s no issue with Sony showing off multiplatform games. Most disappointed reactions stem from the fact that they didn’t staple on more of their own first party studios work.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I was trying to remember, when multiplatform games are shown on an xbox showcase, do they have the logos for all systems they are coming out for after each game, or just xbox?

sainraja

People in gaming can be a fickle bunch. You saw games that are coming to the system that you will get to play along with some of their first-party offerings.

sachos

Xbox has the chance to fight back with their showcase. Now is the time to double down on your single player "wow"pieces. Announce a 2 or 3 of the following: Doom 3, Wolfenstein 3, Quake Reboot, The Evil Within 3, Dishonored 3, Prey 2, Rage 3, Old school NFS style Forza game by Playground. There is so much they could do.

Xbox has the chance to fight back with their showcase. Now is the time to double down on your single player "wow"pieces. Announce a 2 or 3 of the following: Doom 3, Wolfenstein 3, Quake Reboot, The Evil Within 3, Dishonored 3, Prey 2, Rage 3, Old school NFS style Forza game by Playground. There is so much they could do.
Give me Doom, Wolfenstein, and Gears of war.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't ever want to see another MS fanboy complaining about this board being "Pro Sony" ever again. I haven't seen a SINGLE Ps5 owner today defending or being happy with today's conference.

Not one.
Yep it's like people here had more expectations than bias ... But you know in a few weeks it will still be called sonygaf by some again like criticism always come from the opposite fanboys instead of people unhappy with what's happening to X or Y brand.....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't ever want to see another MS fanboy complaining about this board being "Pro Sony" ever again. I haven't seen a SINGLE Ps5 owner today defending or being happy with today's conference.

Not one.

There's at least 11 people who gave it an A ranking in the OT's poll so ... 🤷‍♂️

But more importantly, the two points are not mutually exclusive. I agree with you on principal on the "pro anything" point but not the rest.

Last edited:
It's surprising for numerous reasons.

If they said that, the first surprise is that someone is actually sticking to their word and will still release on a competitor's platform.

The second surprise is spending $3.6 billion to not fully lock down said games on your platform. Obviously there is too much money involved to keep the games away from the Xbox console specifically - which itself is a surprise too.

The final surprise is how few major first-party exclusives, or even platform exclusives (which I thought Marathon was), were shown at this Sony showcase. Nearly everything is on Xbox too, which is why this dunk by MS is so effective.
That's not a surprise at all. It has been stated multiple times that Bungie is still free to release titles on other platforms. But obviously, PS will be the best place to play them for all the bonuses and stuff. It was part of the agreement.

I will agree though, that they did barely show any 1st party stuff. Spiderman 2 was expected, but at least 1 more game for 2024 or later would of been nice.

Sony's reaction:
face crying GIF

Seriously, Phil always sounds so bitter. I guess I would be too if I have been promising every year of Xbox would be better than the last, but never delivered, as my competition outsells me 2-2.5:1

Last edited:
Brilliant response from Microsoft tbf but c'mon when was the last time Xbox had a great showcase?

Last year. Better than Sony at any rate—it’s why people are pissed off with Microsoft, as they showed more potential.

Think about it—All those games last year, plus the rumored Fable and Perfect Dark games, and we haven’t seen anything in 2023 so far.

Last edited:

Sacred

Cringe as fuck from MS as per usual. Have to be but but it's coming to our console too,can you hear/see us, we are here too. Guys please don't forget about us, we're here too!!!

Damn stfu and do your own showcase and show as many 3rs party games as you want. You wouldn't see Sony or Nintendo doing this crap.

They all do this, where you have been. Sony is always taking pot shots at MS after a screw up or making sure everyone knows it's coming to PS as well. It's just smart business, don't let fake hype build around titles that aren't exclusives.

This post is just petty, MS has every right to inform their community of games that are also coming to their console.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You know why there are so many fanboys in the space? Because companies encourage it with stupid low-effort shit like this, then Phil can stroke his ego by going all mighty about “great showcase to kick of the season”.
Hey Microsoft, seems like GP is not working as you wanted, putting more 3rd party games on there won’t change anything.

You know why there are so many fanboys in the space? Because companies encourage it with stupid low-effort shit like this, then Phil can stroke his ego by going all mighty about “great showcase to kick of the season”.
Hey Microsoft, seems like GP is not working as you wanted, putting more 3rd party games on there won’t change anything.
lack of self-awareness much?

reksveks

Cringe as fuck from MS as per usual. Have to be but but it's coming to our console too,can you hear/see us, we are here too. Guys please don't forget about us, we're here too!!!

Damn stfu and do your own showcase and show as many 3rs party games as you want. You wouldn't see Sony or Nintendo doing this crap.
They all post their own trailers of the games almost straight after the other companies showcase. This isn't new.

Last edited:

Fredrik

And you gave it an S for Shit tier rating, which it wasn't either :)

It was more like a B or C (I voted for C).
To me it seems like it was just hyped too much among the core fans. I didn’t think it was a bad showcase, was just surprised that we got nothing new from ND,SSM,SP,BB,GG, not even a teaser or logo. Still had great games showcased.

Murdoch

This has energy of 'that showcase should have been an email' energy 😅

I really wanted a slim announcement today but oh well.

Hestar69

the showcase wasnt that bad I'd give it a b-/c. some games looked great and that splatoon rip off might be good.

I think xbox's show is gonna BLOW it away though (they really have to after all the negative press around them last year/redfall)

give me fable gameplay, hellblade 2 gameplay,conker remake,banjo remakes,morrowind remake xbox pleaseeeeeeeeeee

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think there has ever even more of a limp showcase to give the opposition a chance of a home run than this. It was truly an F rated show....dog shit.

Microsoft need to come out guns blazing and knock it out of the park, and if they do and we don't see sales shift for Microsoft then Jim Ryan has definitely done a deal with the devil and the caveat was to have no ability to talk or look human in front of a camera....how many edits does it take to say a paragraph..?

Cmon Microsoft, all eyes on you. You've been given an insane opportunity.

Can't believe Jez Corden hyped up that show...bloody green sewer rat.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To me it seems like it was just hyped too much among the core fans. I didn’t think it was a bad showcase, was just surprised that we got nothing new from ND,SSM,SP,BB,GG, not even a teaser or logo. Still had great games showcased.
As I posted in the other thread, it was a good "games show" (a lot of great third-party stuff and a healthy balance of indies and AAA, single-player and MP), but it was a very poor "PlayStation Studios" show -- which is what everyone expected and rightly so after 20 months.

We knew about Spider-Man 2 going in the show and that remained the biggest thing they showed to us. 2-3 other announcements (SSM's, BP's, Team Asobi's) and 2-3 more gameplay footage for announced games would have made this a 9/10 or even a 10/10.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
What I'm i missing here. They are just saying, these games are also coming out on Xbox?
They are saying they didn't show anything, this could be great if Microsoft has a lot to show in a few weeks, which I feel like it is going to be the case Idk.

Fredrik

even xbox influencers where hyping the show

but that is not why it was received with so much criticism.
Yeah I understand that the pushback comes from the lack of big new 1st party games. But people seem to forget that we got to see Dragon’s Dogma 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake, Spider-Man 2, Marathon, Resident Evil 4 VR, Assassin’s Creed Mirage, and more. All big and popular IPs. There is a possibility that they’re keeping some nice surprises for TGA and Geoff’s summer show as well.

Yeah I understand that the pushback comes from the lack of big new 1st party games. But people seem to forget that we got to see Dragon’s Dogma 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake, Spider-Man 2, Marathon, Resident Evil 4 VR, Assassin’s Creed Mirage, and more. All big and popular IPs. There is a possibility that they’re keeping some nice surprises for TGA and Geoff’s summer show as well.
the issue is not the list of games but how they were shown

And you gave it an S for Shit tier rating, which it wasn't either :)

It was more like a B or C (I voted for C).
Let's be honest, going by the likes on the videos, the showcase was well received by the general gaming audience. It's only hardcore gamers, whether Xbox fanboys or PS gamers who got themselves over hyped, who are acting like it was terrible. The former of which who will act like MS's Showcase will be awesome, AA+, regardless of what they show.

They all post their own trailers of the games almost straight after the other companies showcase. This isn't new.

There's a big difference in what Sony and Nintendo do to what MS does. Sony and Nintendo just post the trailer to their YouTube channels. Maybe do a short tweet. That's classily telling your customers that it's also available on your console without taking away from someone else's showcase.

If you told me MS's tweets were from a fanboy, I'd believe you. They took every game Sony showed that is multiplat, put them together and basically said, "Ha, we got them, too." Then Phil, in his usual two-faced manner, congratulated Sony, while also drawing attention to "the show," another series that is now multiplat. In the past, they tried to circumvent marketing agreements, upset that they didn't get them for themselves. That is until 3rd parties most likely told them to knock it off. We also know how MS encourages and pays for shills/fanboys.

Unfortunately for MS, these tactics are failing to draw anyone in who isn't already an Xbox fanboy.

Last edited:
As I posted in the other thread, it was a good "games show" (a lot of great third-party stuff and a healthy balance of indies and AAA, single-player and MP), but it was a very poor "PlayStation Studios" show -- which is what everyone expected and rightly so after 20 months.

We knew about Spider-Man 2 going in the show and that remained the biggest thing they showed to us. 2-3 other announcements (SSM's, BP's, Team Asobi's) and 2-3 more gameplay footage for announced games would have made this a 9/10 or even a 10/10.
Calling it a PS Showcase was a complete and utter lie. Mixing in indies and PSVR2 made 0 sense. Those already had their own State of Plays. With Summer coming up, they should of just had them at Geoffs show or something.

This whole thing felt like a 2 different State of Plays put together. It should have been only called PS Showcase only if it was majority of 1st party. Extremely disappointing to me personally. Even a title logo splash would of made me happy for like the next Sony Santa Monica game or even the new Naughty Dog IP.

What's upsetting is that they skipped a show last year and made the fans and general public believe that their show was going to be full of megatons or at least some cool surprises. Capcom once again carried with Dragon's Dogma 2. Alan Wake 2 was great as well, but those are 3rd party titles that could of just had a YouTube or blog post release.

You can argue there were three 1st party games - Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2 and Fairgames I guess? I don't know if I consider Marathon a 1st party even though they own Bungie, it's still a multiplatform. I don't consider Minecraft 1st party either even though MS owns them, it still available on all platforms.

I am interested in Marathon, Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, FF 16 and that Square Enix splatoon thing. Only because I am one of those weird people who is into silly MP competitive games like that. It's something different from Square so.

Meh... overall both hardware manufactures are a fucking joke one.

One is having a shitshow of managing studios and the other is too fucking busy sleeping and being tone deaf with their fans and showcasing nothing of interest. Meanwhile, Nintendo is sitting here with the weakest piece of shit hardware and laughing in everyone's face with Zelda TOTK. What a joke of a generation so far :/ sorry but I am a sad panda gamer today.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
I don't think there has ever even more of a limp showcase to give the opposition a chance of a home run than this. It was truly an F rated show....dog shit.

Microsoft need to come out guns blazing and knock it out of the park, and if they do and we don't see sales shift for Microsoft then Jim Ryan has definitely done a deal with the devil and the caveat was to have no ability to talk or look human in front of a camera....how many edits does it take to say a paragraph..?

Cmon Microsoft, all eyes on you. You've been given an insane opportunity.

Can't believe Jez Corden hyped up that show...bloody green sewer rat.
Wishful thinking much? Sony didn't even show Death Stranding 2, FF7 p2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, etc. Just because its not in a specific showcase doesn't mean those games aren't coming. Why would sales shift if MS shows Starfield again and 2024-2025 games? Sony has 2024-25 games but they have chosen not to show them until closer to release. A shift from the PS3 days. And a welcome one.

Neolombax

Give Sony a reason to bring out the big guns Microsoft. This may be a sign that they're super confident with Starfield then? I really hope so. Competition is always good.

Top Bottom