• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft comments on the PlayStation Showcase

Fredrik

As I posted in the other thread, it was a good "games show" (a lot of great third-party stuff and a healthy balance of indies and AAA, single-player and MP), but it was a very poor "PlayStation Studios" show -- which is what everyone expected and rightly so after 20 months.

We knew about Spider-Man 2 going in the show and that remained the biggest thing they showed to us. 2-3 other announcements (SSM's, BP's, Team Asobi's) and 2-3 more gameplay footage for announced games would have made this a 9/10 or even a 10/10.
Yeah I understand. Just think people are overreacting a bit here. I play on all platforms so for me it was another big batch of games I know I need to play that will be put on the pile I already have that is just getting bigger and bigger. And more will come in two weeks after Microsoft’s showcase. 😓

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wishful thinking much? Sony didn't even show Death Stranding 2, FF7 p2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, etc. Just because its not in a specific showcase doesn't mean those games aren't coming. Why would sales shift if MS shows Starfield again and 2024-2025 games? Sony has 2024-25 games but they have chosen not to show them until closer to release. A shift from the PS3 days. And a welcome one.

Why didn't Sony show those games then? You think this is an acceptable show after 2 years?

So you are saying those games are going to be out within the next 12 months?

Also, if you read my post I said IF Microsoft has a knock out show and they don't see sales move positively for them then I feel that I personally have little faith in the high end console market.

PC is and always was the best option for anyone serious about this shit.

mrmustard

Banned
Imagine being a console maker and be proud of third party games lmfao.
Guess what, some console makers are so proud of 3rd party, they even moneyhat it.

Besides that it's clever to clarify what games are coming to your console, because trailers on a console maker show usually don't show the other console maker's name and uninformed people could think that every game shown on a XB or PS showcase is exclusive.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah I understand. Just think people are overreacting a bit here. I play on all platforms so for me it was another big batch of games I know I need to play that will be put on the pile I already have that is just getting bigger and bigger. And more will come in two weeks after Microsoft’s showcase. Phew!
Oh yeah absolutely. The usual suspects are clearly overreacting also. Calling the show an S-Tier for Shit or a F-tier dog shit show. It was neither.

The show wasn't an A and it wasn't an F.

It was middling (like a B or C). And that part was underwhelming because after 20 months, people were expecting to have their socks blown off. And PlayStation didn't treat it like a super special show. It was just another Showcase with several games missing and uncharacteristically less gameplay footage.

Regardless, we know that 2023 and 2024 is packed for PlayStation gamers. There are around ~10 exclusives that are expected to release by 2024.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah I understand that the pushback comes from the lack of big new 1st party games. But people seem to forget that we got to see Dragon’s Dogma 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake, Spider-Man 2, Marathon, Resident Evil 4 VR, Assassin’s Creed Mirage, and more. All big and popular IPs. There is a possibility that they’re keeping some nice surprises for TGA and Geoff’s summer show as well.
Death Stranding 2 is pretty much a lock for Geoff's show.

Sony's marketing team and xDev recently visited Kojima and posed for Twitter photos.

I don't ever want to see another MS fanboy complaining about this board being "Pro Sony" ever again. I haven't seen a SINGLE Ps5 owner today defending or being happy with today's conference.

Not one.
Well, the fact that even pro-Sony folks (aside certain media outlets) are not praising this showcase tells you a lot :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Robbinhood

Banned
Why didn't Sony show those games then? You think this is an acceptable show after 2 years?

So you are saying those games are going to be out within the next 12 months?

Also, if you read my post I said IF Microsoft has a knock out show and they don't see sales move positively for them then I feel that I personally have little faith in the high end console market.

PC is and always was the best option for anyone serious about this shit.
Sony has been releasing games the last 2 years, showcases aren't the barometer for quality software, they are just fun events.

I'm more disappointed that Sony doesn't have 1-2 extra games for 2023, not that they didn't reveal their 2024 games in early-mid 2023. Showing those games now doesn't bring them out any faster.

I mean if MS shows gameplay footage of Fable, Avowed and Hellblade 2 followed by a late 2024 release date, that isn't much of a win. Also MS is due for some big releases just to catch up to what Sony has already released. I will say I misread your post, I thought you were saying the sales should shift in MS favor but you were just saying it should move more positively which is fair.

Godot25

Banned
THis type of posts are great. I don't need to figure out which games shown at XYZ showcase are multiplat. So good on them. I was not sure especially about Ghostrunner 2

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony has been releasing games the last 2 years, showcases aren't the barometer for quality software, they are just fun events.

I'm more disappointed that Sony doesn't have 1-2 extra games for 2023, not that they didn't reveal their 2024 games in early-mid 2023. Showing those games now doesn't bring them out any faster.

I mean if MS shows gameplay footage of Fable, Avowed and Hellblade 2 followed by a late 2024 release date, that isn't much of a win. Also MS is due for some big releases just to catch up to what Sony has already released. I will say I misread your post, I thought you were saying the sales should shift in MS favor but you were just saying it should move more positively which is fair.
Exactly. So far we have the following lined up:

• Final Fantasy XVI
  • Stellar Blade
  • Helldivers 2
  • Spider-Man 2
4 exclusive games in the next 6 months

• Lost Souls Aside
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Concord (Firewalk's)
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Wolverine
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Rebirth
Pretty sure we will also get The Last of Us Factions, Twisted Metal, Marathon, and at least one more SIE game (by Bluepoint, Horizon Multiplayer, or Team Asobi) before 2024 ends.

Fredrik

Oh yeah absolutely. The usual suspects are clearly overreacting also. Calling the show an S-Tier for Shit or a F-tier dog shit show. It was neither.

The show wasn't an A and it wasn't an F.

It was middling (like a B or C). And that part was underwhelming because after 20 months, people were expecting to have their socks blown off. And PlayStation didn't treat it like a super special show. It was just another Showcase with several games missing and uncharacteristically less gameplay footage.

Regardless, we know that 2023 and 2024 is packed for PlayStation gamers. There are around ~10 exclusives that are expected to release by 2024.
I’m thinking those who’re truly disappointed or concerned for real and not just console warriors should post on Twitter or contact some Sony officials. There can’t be a big deal to make an extended bonus showcase to just show the upcoming big 1st party stuff. Teasers could be enough if nothing is ready to be shown. Or even just a logo. A Bloodborne 2 logo would’ve dramatically changed the tone.

MS is doing an extended showcase too a couple days after the MS event and Starfield event. Probably there if they need to counter something they didn’t do right.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Tom Hiddleston Reaction GIF

Exactly. So far we have the following lined up:

• Final Fantasy XVI
  • Stellar Blade
  • Helldivers 2
  • Spider-Man 2
4 exclusive games in the next 6 months

• Lost Souls Aside
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Concord (Firewalk's)
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Wolverine
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Rebirth
Pretty sure we will also get The Last of Us Factions, Twisted Metal, Marathon, and at least one more SIE game (by Bluepoint, Horizon Multiplayer, or Team Asobi) before 2024 ends.
Could you take your damage control somewhere else. I understand this event didn't show the "phase 2" everyone was hoping for.

Fredrik

”Like last year, we’ll also have our follow-up stream, Xbox Games Showcase Extended airing June 13 at 10am PT, with in-depth interviews focused on the news from our Xbox Games Showcase as well as game updates from our partners.”

reksveks

”Like last year, we’ll also have our follow-up stream, Xbox Games Showcase Extended airing June 13 at 10am PT, with in-depth interviews focused on the news from our Xbox Games Showcase as well as game updates from our partners.”
Missed that. Nice news for me. Wonder when we have the Forza monthly stream as well.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
And you gave it an S for Shit tier rating, which it wasn't either :)

It was more like a B or C (I voted for C).
C was my vote but I wish I can go back in time and give it a D.

There are certain trailers that not just didn't show gameplay, they showed basically nothing (Concord I'm looking at you).

StueyDuck

It's pretty cringey thing for MS to do then uncy Phil doing his fake good guy routine.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that Sony dropped the ball massively on this showcase.

Cyborg

As a PlayStation fan, I feel the same. This was a 3rd party show where all the games will come to PC and Xbox! Where are the first-party games? Also, where is Naughty Dog?

DavidGzz

Mostly fodder with some good ones like Dragon's Dogma 2 and Alan Wake 2. No Bloodborne at all hurts the most. Not even a teaser like Demon's Souls got. RIP

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Daddy made fun of your dad a long time ago, it's not the same anymore. Waaah. All of the trailers say Playstation or PS and PC at the end. MS is just letting gamers know they are also coming to Xbox as well. What's the big deal?

Last edited:

Three

It was a good show for games in general. There’s much to enjoy as a gaming showcase, and since I have a PSVR2, the VR sections work well.

Underwhelming when you consider how it was sold by insiders and journalists as the wave 2 for PlayStation and a deep dive into what their studios are up to.
Jeff "piss out your butt" Grubb is the source of the "Phase 2" crap.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Jeff "piss out your butt" Grubb is the source of the "Phase 2" crap.
Didn't you hear Jim Ryan's words at the beginning of the Showcase? Well, these are very similar to that "phase Or wave 2" message.

That such high expectations were embraced by all media, youtubers and press in general and not just a consequence of an affirmation by one. 2 years without Showcase did the rest.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Imagine thinking a company saying 'hey these games got announced / updated details / and a new trailer released somewhere else, but we're letting you know you can play them here too, since those trailers didn't mention complete platform availability' as some nefarious 'troll dunk lmaoomgwtfbbqlolz'

That's like saying 'Sony Didn't put the Xbox platform tag on the release window images! How pathetic! They're scared of Xbox!'

The sony conference was OK. Xbox's 'response' was a normal business post. You're all tilting windmills if you think anything else.

Three

Didn't you hear Jim Ryan's words at the beginning of the Showcase? Well, these are very similar to that "phase Or wave 2" message. That such high expectations were embraced by all media, youtubers and press in general and not just a consequence of an affirmation by one. 2 years without Showcase did the rest.
How were Jim Ryan's words similar to a phase 2 or wave 2 message that Grubb put out? You're really reaching.

Jeff Grub: "Sony itself is saving its own actual good stuff for something else which is what's happening here, they're saving their good stuff for the PlayStation Showcase that's gonna happen before E3. It was supposed to happen last Fall but they kept pushing it back cause their developers weren't ready, but now that those developers are ready, they're going to have a massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5."

Last edited:

Darsxx82

How were Jim Ryan's words similar to a phase 2 or wave 2 message that Grubb put out? You're really reaching.

Jeff Grub: "Sony itself is saving its own actual good stuff for something else which is what's happening here, they're saving their good stuff for the PlayStation Showcase that's gonna happen before E3. It was supposed to happen last Fall but they kept pushing it back cause their developers weren't ready, but now that those developers are ready, they're going to have a massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5."

I invite you to listen again to Jim Ryan's words at the beginning of the Showcase. If you tell me that those words did not invite you to think that what they were going to show did correspond to what they finally showed..... OK.

"After 3 years of PS5 on the market, it is time to show what it is truly capable of offering" (not literally but in essence)

Then, I repeat, wanting to single out a single person as guilty of the high expectations placed on yesterday's Showcase is wanting to deceive people since it is the line of all the media and press and of many other insiders (including those who filter). These high expectations come, above all, from the fact that it has been 2 years since the last Showcase and the promises of projects that were believed to be closer than they really are.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
maxresdefault.jpg

Yesterday's fire is today's bullshit, I suppose.
A. That was 10 years ago, not really proof that Sony ‘constantly’ do the same.

B. Sony at the time were a company at the peak of their powers. They weren’t releasing games like Redfall and then trying to be cute on social media.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

So now its Jeff Grubbs fault for Sony giving us that POS showcase?

Cmon man, no defence for that shit.

Three

So now its Jeff Grubbs fault for Sony giving us that POS showcase?

Cmon man, no defence for that shit.
Where are you getting that ridiculous strawman from?

I replied to this:
Underwhelming when you consider how it was sold by insiders and journalists as the wave 2 for PlayStation and a deep dive into what their studios are up to.

I said that this particular nonsense originated from Jeff Grubb from the quote I gave above.

Last edited:
Damn MS lol

Seriously... the only game in that entire show that I am interested in is coming to Xbox and PC so I'll play it on PC.

Last edited:

ToadMan

The best gameplay shown - SM2 - is not going to xbox.

For what most on Gaf say was a mid PS show at best, for MS to #metoo on the titles shown is kind of weird.

“Hey, PS had a mediocre show but don’t worry - the b-list games from that mediocre show are still coming to xbox!”

Weird. I guess xbox just continues to be xbox even in the face of a sony misstep.

dEvAnGeL

Why wouldn’t any platform holder be proud of significant third party content?

We just had a showcase where the leading console maker proudly showed off third party games.

This may well be the weirdest comment in this thread, and that takes some doing.

Guess what, some console makers are so proud of 3rd party, they even moneyhat it.

Besides that it's clever to clarify what games are coming to your console, because trailers on a console maker show usually don't show the other console maker's name and uninformed people could think that every game shown on a XB or PS showcase is exclusive.

We just saw a Sony showcase full of them.
I meant this for both console makers. Their showing of first party games have been so underwhelming this generation that they have to rely a lot on third party games that to be honest don’t look that good. Except for Alan Wake 2. Thank god for indie games saving the day. Sword of the Sea looks absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Of course Phil Spencer comes in all impressed with that pile of shite......I swear that guy has the lowest fucking standards.
He made no indication that he was "impressed", if memory serves me right. He congratulated him on the showcase, because he knows first-hand the amount of work that goes into it, and he said he was excited to see what's coming next for PS.

Some of you are truly weird.

"This is cringe for MS"

"Look how desperate MS is for attention"

"Phil's so desperate, playing Mr. Nice guy"

"Sony will never be so low" (they've gone
much, much lower though, but clearly no one's counting)

What am I missing?

Oh, "Phil has no chouce but to be nice, because of the state Xbox is in."

...true weirdos.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
To still think that this is hurting some of the xbox fanboys is quite something. Move on already it's been 10 years, it's straight up embarrassing at this point. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

lets not act like its not shared by sony fans as a classic gotcha moment...and has been all the way up to recently.

DarthPutin

All this melodrama reminds of me of a poem from my country, rough translation:

"People read with their ass. Nice people, but they read with their ass.
All I posted was: "I am eating dumplings :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:". But people took something else from it.

"Why showing off? There are children right now in Africa starving. Shame on you".

"Cool, cool, and I'm eating broccoli and will have sixpack soon. You'll get fat on unhealthy food and you husband will dump you".

"Dumplings with meat, I presume? Congratulations, animals die because of people LIKE YOU. I hope you're happy".

"I make my own dumplings, here is my Instagram, where I teach all about making dumplings the only health way, like and subscribe, fellow dumplings afficionados!"

"You should be eating pelmeni, that would be patriotic. Why do you have your country so much?"

I love people, but they read with their ass..."

All this melodrama reminds of me of a poem from my country, rough translation:

"People read with their ass. Nice people, but they read with their ass.
All I posted was: "I am eating dumplings :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:". But people took something else from it.

"Why showing off? There are children right now in Africa starving. Shame on you".

"Cool, cool, and I'm eating broccoli and will have sixpack soon. You'll get fat on unhealthy food and you husband will dump you".

"Dumplings with meat, I presume? Congratulations, animals die because of people LIKE YOU. I hope you're happy".

"I make my own dumplings, here is my Instagram, where I teach all about making dumplings the only health way, like and subscribe, fellow dumplings afficionados!"

"You should be eating pelmeni, that would be patriotic. Why do you have your country so much?"

I love people, but they read with their ass..."
These people, honestly, don't sound that nice at all.

It's not that they read with their ass, what it really is, they're asses themselves. And they're not that nice, or thoughtful. They're arrogant and unthinking, biased, myopic, unable to see things objectively or removed from their bias, and overall just unintelligent. But, they think they're far more intelligent than everyone else.

Top Bottom