• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms Windows 11 gaming issues. 22H2 update Rollout will be paused.

Microsoft’s Windows 11 22H2 update launched for the general public late last month and brought several new features and bug fixes. However, not long after the Windows 11 22H2 update went live, Nvidia GeForce users complained about sluggish and unstable frame rates in games, lag and rampant CPU underutilization (with some users seeing rates as low as 5 percent).

Microsoft has heard all the complaints and is taking steps to limit the impact(opens in new tab) of the performance issues on Windows 11 users who haven’t already downloaded the latest update. The company acknowledged that “Some games and apps might experience lower than expected performance or stuttering on Windows 11, version 22H2.”

According to Microsoft, a software bug causes apps and games that rely on the GPU to trigger debugging features that aren’t meant for consumers. Unfortunately, this bug is causing the steep performance drops that gamers are seeing.

For its part, Microsoft says that it instituted an update hold on Windows 11 22H2 for system configurations that are affected by the issue. So, if you haven't already installed Windows 11 22H2, it won’t be pushed to your system via Windows Update until Microsoft has deemed the issue resolved. Microsoft also warns against manually upgrading using the Media Creation Tool or the Update Now button in Windows Update to circumvent this Windows Update safeguard.

Windows 11 continues to have problems, but the fact it took Microsoft this long to respond to all the complaints is pretty bad imo. I would stick to Windows 10 for gaming even though that has it's own problems (with older titles) and for those who haven't gotten a new PC yet I would go and buy one now, because by next year every retailer is going to be selling computers with Windows 11 only. In some parts of the country this is already true.

The whole OS has problems not just in gaming, but general usage, enterprise, and general productivity. This isn't a good option for gamers at the moment imo from my attempts to use the thing.

GHG

Avoiding Windows 11 at all cost.

Is the prophecy coming true?

Windows 98
Windows ME poop
Windows XP
Windows Vista poop
Windows 7
Windows 8 poop
Windows 10
Windows 11 poop?

Yep, can confirm. Successfully skipped all the poop OS' on my main gaming PC's. My only experience with windows 8 was because my laptop at the time came with it pre-installed. It was so bad that it was the catalyst for me to start exploring Linux and haven't looked back since for my work machines. Hoping Pop!_OS continues to develop as it has and can eventually offer a viable alternative for pc gamers.

Topher

Gold Member
there are Win11 gaming issues? never noticed tbh, everything played exactly the same in my experience

Feels like Windows 10 with a new UI to me.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Haven't had gaming issues but have had a number of windows 11 issues since upgrading frm win 10.

The first 6 months on win 11 I had hitching issues where the mouse would randomly pause and hitch, just on the desktop. This wasn't driver related as it had something to do with amd cpus and then it got fixed in an update months after launch.

Now since about 2 months ago I would get regular blue screen of death. I had to turn offone part of windows defender, the virtualization feature, to have it stop. It happened on the desktop and on games. At least once a day. Since turning that off its been 99% better.

nikos

Fix released nearly two months ago. It's a non-issue.

Haven't had a single problem since I installed Windows 11 in July 2021, but I'm also not an idiot and don't have a shit computer.

People who are on Windows 10 and saying 11 is bad have absolutely on clue what they're talking about. It runs off of the same exact architecture.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Windows 98
Windows ME poop
Windows XP
Windows Vista poop
Windows 7
Windows 8 poop
Windows 10
Windows 11 poop?
Vista was amazing for the time, it only sucked if you ran it on a Packard Bell with 512MB of RAM.
Also not sure why people praise 98SE but slag off ME, they were both unstable shit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm on Windows 11 (latest patch) with the latest nvidia drivers and I have no issues at all

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't understand why people have such a hard time with windows. Are you trying to run some legacy HW or something? I put Windows 11 on some version of this rig at launch and have had next to no issues with it. Now I am in stupid mode now where I won't game until I get my 4090 because gaming on my 3090 will ruin the game. Maybe the update I installed will fuck shit up.

C'mon Amazon FFS it has been just about 30 days since my order was placed. Well its not like GoW didn't just come out.

gothmog

Gold Member
The only reason I gave up on PC gaming. Windows. If Valve comes up with a full gaming operating system that is not for the Steam Deck, I’m day one back to a gaming desktop.
I would imagine most of the Steam Deck improvements will make their way into their respective open source projects. So the Steam Deck is actually the primary path to a fully non-windows gaming OS.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I keep saying this there is a very good reason to ignore windows 11 for gaming

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I genuinely believe there is no sane person that actually likes windows.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Laff

I honestly feel like I'm the one person who exists that doesn't get all these problems. Slow at times sure, and the telemetry sucks, but yeesh the problems some people encounter are shit I've never experienced, and I've used apps from shit as mainstream as Halo to obscure japanese RPGmaker games from 2004
Windows 11 especially feels like the hate is so overblown, the start menu is better. Gets rid of the dumbass ads and goes back to the basics of just your profile, power button, apps and recent files.

Banned
I will wait at least another year until I update to Win11, and only if there aren't any major issues left. because even tho it's not awful now, why update when Win10 gives me all I need 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Windows 98
Windows ME poop
Windows XP
Windows Vista poop
Windows 7
Windows 8 poop
Windows 10
Windows 11 poop?
Yes it is, avoid at all cost W11.
Seriously, that's an OS which is going to LOOSE your precious time. UI is illegal as the one paid for doing this crap nobody asked.

loop poop GIF by Mauro Gatti

Last edited:

Fix released nearly two months ago. It's a non-issue.

Haven't had a single problem since I installed Windows 11 in July 2021, but I'm also not an idiot and don't have a shit computer.

People who are on Windows 10 and saying 11 is bad have absolutely on clue what they're talking about. It runs off of the same exact architecture.
Do I need to install that beta driver still or do the official drivers contain the fix?

PhaseJump

Banned
Vista was amazing for the time, it only sucked if you ran it on a Packard Bell with 512MB of RAM.
Also not sure why people praise 98SE but slag off ME, they were both unstable shit.

98SE was solid, ME was shit.

This thread completely forgot Windows 2000, the NT one that XP followed up on.

I'm on Windows 11 22H2 on my gaming PC and laptop and I haven't noticed any issues. 5800X3D and RTX 3090 on the desktop, i7-11800H and 3070 on the laptop respectively.

There was an issue with Nvidia drivers right at 22H2 release which was addressed by a driver update released a week after 22H2 started rolling out.

What games are having issues, by using this gpu debugging?

There’s nothing wrong with W11 with respect to previous versions, especially for gamers. The XP/NT4.0 days sucked hard.

Kataploom

Gold Member
10 dies in 2025 so I’ll stick with that.

Steam os when?
Srsly I've thought of steam OS as a viable system considering steam deck popularity at least on media, devs keep optimizing games for it, therefore, Linux machines in general get the benefits, if anything it has proven Proton to be a viable gaming platform that takes little effort to optimize for (if ever)

Btw I'm sticking to Windows 11 because Xbox app won't work for me for some reason on windows 10, even in fresh installs on new disks, I'm cursed with that, games just won't download, but in windows 11 I don't have that issue, it just works a intended

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Laff

I honestly feel like I'm the one person who exists that doesn't get all these problems. Slow at times sure, and the telemetry sucks, but yeesh the problems some people encounter are shit I've never experienced, and I've used apps from shit as mainstream as Halo to obscure japanese RPGmaker games from 2004
Windows 11 especially feels like the hate is so overblown, the start menu is better. Gets rid of the dumbass ads and goes back to the basics of just your profile, power button, apps and recent files.
It's like everytime I buy hardware there are always a ton of reviews where someone is calling it a piece of shit and that they got 3 DOA in a row. I've never had a single piece of hardware be DOA and I've been building PC's since the days of ribbon cables and ISA slots. Windows 11 has been completely fine for me, it's just a reskinned windows 10.

Top Bottom