• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft console names

This isn't a serious thread, more of a brain shit on to a forum page.

Microsoft console names:

Xbox - very cool
Xbox 360 - what happened to 2? Where are you going to go after three hundred and sixty? Seven hundred and twenty?
Xbox one - ...N...No, you've already had an xbox 1, that was the first one.
Xbox One X - Ok, that works and sounds cool
Xbox Series X - NO! again, you've put yourself in the same position as the 360, where are you going to go next?

What will the next xbox (The one after the XSX) or the 'X' version be called? Xbox series X X ? Or just Xbox X o X o?

HE1NZ

Banned
Xbox (1)
Xbox 360 - 360 degrees get you back to 1
Xbox One
XBox One X - XBOX for short

They'll probably going to call next one Xbox One²

Joey.

Very odd naming and so unnecessary.
I think to some very casuals it could be very confusing.

still waiting for my Xbox 720

I would have preferred they stuck with a pattern. They didn’t need to go with vanilla Xbox 2 - Xbox 3 etc but where we stand now does seem a little convoluted.

I don’t mind Series X. I kinda wish it was just called The Series X. Or Xbox X. Still justdrop the One for the new gen

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The 360 was named well. Naming your console the Xbox 2 to compete with the PlayStation 3 has obvious marketing issues.

Naming your third console Xbox One was incredibly dumb though. People had bn calling the original Xbox the Xbox 1 for years.

Having your mid-gen console be the Xbox One X and your new generation console the Xbox Series X is equally dumb. They've even confused themselves, tweeting things such as "the upcoming Xbox One Series X".

Series X isn't a confusing name because it's really just going to be playing One X games anyway. :goog_lol::lollipop_horns:

giphy.gif

Holammer

Adding +1 to the console name was a genius brand awareness move from Sony. While Nintendo and MS shit the bed, repeatedly.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think the idea now is that they will keep Xbox Series __ and just add new strings on the end. So even if you have a Series S and Series X and you don't want to just add a bunch of new letters, you can do Series X2 or Series XR for example. Basically BMW.

Last edited:

jakinov

It doesn't really matter. It's not a movie or game series, where people need to know the order or would want to consumer older stuff, you don't need to be consistent and you don't need people to be able to figure out which one is new with a game console. The first main reason is that these consoles are released several years apart. Yeah it's better/easier to tell the latest iPhone if it's numbered apart and they are selling 3-4 different generations of iPhones at the store at the same time. But you are probably going to see just only the new Xbox and maybe the old one with a different name in the back corner for the first year. You won't hear any marketing for the older Xbox name. The sales person will probably ask you if you want the new one or the old one and your kid will probably be very specific on what they want. I don't think there's going to be as a big mass confusion as people think. Also, it's not like having numbers will be confusion free either. If someone (like a parent or spouse who doesn't know a lot about game consoles) sees a PS4 first they might grab that first. If they see both, they'll instinctively know the PS5 is newer. But if they had both for the Xbox, the price tag will give them a good idea but if not they can ask the retail person or google it. Worse case, they return it within 30-90 days and buy the right one.

TBH i'm just more mad that they didn't come up with cool names

Nintendo Entertianment System and Super Nintendo Chalmers Entertainment System, Mega drive, Master System, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube (Revolution was a better name tbh) They're all bad-arse names. They invoke magical feelings. A 'Master system' or a Dreamcast. So geekily cool.

Xbox series one X is so wooden and corporate. The X would have been cool or Xbox infinite, something cool!

Last edited:

Banned

Microsoft console names:

Xbox - very cool
Xbox 360 - what happened to 2? Where are you going to go after three hundred and sixty? Seven hundred and twenty?
Xbox Series X - NO! again, you've put yourself in the same position as the 360, where are you going to go next?

What will the next xbox (The one after the XSX) or the 'X' version be called? Xbox series X X ? Or just Xbox X o X o?

the Xbox Series [] naming is actually their way if getting out of the hole they dug themselves into.

Xbox Series X2
Xbox Series 2
Xbox Series Y

all of these would be pretty straight forward after Series X

FranXico

The line of reasoning for the Xbox 360 must have been that they just didn't want to call their console Xbox 2, while Sony was bringing out a Playstation 3.
Regrettable decision.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox and Xbox 360 were good. Xbox One was and is horrible. Xbox Series X is equally as bad but I understand why it's called that as they will also release Series S and who knows what else. I would have went with XBOX 5 with SERIES X underneath and just copy it for Series S. Only difference would be the color of the console - Series X would be what it is which is solid black while Series S would be solid white. And yes, I would have said fuck it and skipped "4".

Grinchy

Banned
The line of reasoning for the Xbox 360 must have been that they just didn't want to call their console Xbox 2, while Sony was bringing out a Playstation 3.
Regrettable decision.
I think it was because they wanted a 3 in there and the Wii's codename was "Revolution." I can't say for certain that Wii's codename made them do 360 (as in 360 degrees for one full revolution) but it seems pretty likely.

Codes 208

It's called Series, so I think it means both cheaper and more expensive units will get their own names.
Actually if you want to be technical, its just called xbox. Series x is just the first particular model they announced.

the next modelafter X will likely be S. At this point they wont be bringing back the xbox one moniker

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Microsoft console names:

Xbox - very cool

Well you could have an Xbox 2 when there was a PS3 it doesn’t sound good for xbox

Great Hair

Banned

- MAX (Microsoft Action Experience)
- AIO (All In One)
- MIND (Microsoft Interactive Network Device)
- FACE (Full Action Center)
- MITH (Microsoft Interactive Theatre)
- XON (Experience Optimized Network)

Three

I remember reading in a magazine that the 360 was called the 360 because it didn't want Xbox 2 going up against the PS 3 which would have made them seem behind. At the time the known codename for the Wii was also the Nintendo Revolution and so MS went with the name xbox 360. That kind of fucked them up for later names.

Last edited:

Zoanoid33

Xbox doesn't know how to make their brand ring with people unless it is a red one.

Joking aside I think they really dropped the ball with the Xbox Series X name. Especially if they launch a Xbox series S as well, it sounds the exact same. And what will they call a mid tier upgrade in a few years? Xbox series Y? Series Z? Sounds dumb.

Not to mention they are years behind Nintendo and Sony with their first party output and the fact you can play better versions of their first party on PC I really don't see the draw of adopting their new console anytime soon.

lock2k

Banned
Xbox - awesome name.
Xbox 360 - Sounded cool as fuck.
Xbox One and later iterations - whatever, I'll just call it current Xbox.

Shin

Banned
The Xbox name itself rather stupid sounding and the naming scheme only makes matters worse Imo. Not to mention it is all over the place and confusing for your average buyer.

Good thread/arguments.

I didn't like the naming of the Xbox One. The naming of the Xbox Series X actually make sense since they are going with Xbox Series for all their future console so like Xbox Series X Series S Series Z etc etc

Top Bottom