• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft console names

SaucyJack

- MAX (Microsoft Action Experience)
- AIO (All In One)
- MIND (Microsoft Interactive Network Device)
- FACE (Full Action Center)
- MITH (Microsoft Interactive Theatre)
- XON (Experience Optimized Network)

Holy shit those are bad.

I can imagine a bunch of senior executives in a meeting room coming up with that crap :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’ve been in more of those kind of meetings than I care to admit!

ThirdC

I really think those weird names cost them customers.

They should have used the opportunity of a new generation:

Base model:
Xbox 5

Enhanced model:
Xbox 5 X

Simple and clean.

Last edited:

ToadMan

This isn't a serious thread, more of a brain shit on to a forum page.

Microsoft console names:

Xbox - very cool
Xbox 360 - what happened to 2? Where are you going to go after three hundred and sixty? Seven hundred and twenty?
Xbox one - ...N...No, you've already had an xbox 1, that was the first one.
Xbox One X - Ok, that works and sounds cool
Xbox Series X - NO! again, you've put yourself in the same position as the 360, where are you going to go next?

What will the next xbox (The one after the XSX) or the 'X' version be called? Xbox series X X ? Or just Xbox X o X o?

MS saw Nintendo's sales and decided to copy the success of the Wii U with their naming convention :messenger_ok:

Or maybe there's a phobia of "2" at MS. Perhaps they're worried it'd start a meme about being 2nd in a 2 horse race...

SaucyJack

MS saw Nintendo's sales and decided to copy the success of the Wii U with their naming convention :messenger_ok:

Or maybe there's a phobia of "2" at MS. Perhaps they're worried it'd start a meme about being 2nd in a 2 horse race...

instead of 3rd in a 3 horse race?

-Arcadia-

Banned
In fairness, Xbox One accurately describes the original vision. It was supposed to be an all-in-one device for games, TV, even apparently the Alexa functionality we now see everywhere. It was supposed to be the living room box.

Obviously, reality went a very different way, and we now have a name that doesn't really mean... anything.

Series X on the other hand... It sounds nigh-on identical to One X, to the point where even I use the wrong one at times, and just has no flash. It's awkward to say and doesn't really have any kind of intent or purpose behind it.

The only thing that will save it, is if there's a Series S. That would mean the name of these new consoles is indeed just Xbox, and the Series stuff is just for different models.

Last edited:

ThirdC

Could even have gone beyond Sonys Numbers!

Sixbox!

They could... but 5 sounds right to me because of the Xbox history (and they can’t go with a number which is under the PlayStation).

Xbox -> 1
Xbox 360 -> 2
Xbox One -> 3
Xbox One X -> 4
Xbox Series X -> 5

That would be a much cleaner communication to potential customers.

Was just making a joke :)

I assume they have a couple of high-paid professionals doing stuff like that and there's a concept here. In the end I don't believe a name has a massive impact for a mass consumer product.

Call it the Bentley Wii and it might;
Call it the Nintendo Wii and nobody will care about a name.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I really think those weird names cost them customers.

They should have used the opportunity of a new generation:

Base model:
Xbox 5

Enhanced model:
Xbox 5 X

Simple and clean.

Yup, I like it a lot. XB 5X, 5S etc. so simple and future proof, while with current naming scheme I cannot fight the feeling that 6-7 years from now they will have to reinvent the wheel all over again, whereas Sony will call their next system simply PS6 and people will know what's what.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Adding +1 to the console name was a genius brand awareness move from Sony. While Nintendo and MS shit the bed, repeatedly.

well if the ones was the Nintendo 2 and the n64 the nintendo3 I doubt the PS2 would of been called the PS2 similar there was never gonna be an Xbox 2 only
Xbox 360

Top Bottom