• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earning Report FY22 Q4 | Gaming Revenue Down 7% YoY

reksveks

Yes, I doubt those disappointing numbers are due to hardware shortages, Xbox consoles are mostly available these days.

The lack of major AAA releases is probably a better explanation.
I think it's too early to say if it's disappointing or not. I think we would need to see what the big third party publisher numbers look like. If they are similar to the NPD ones, it's slightly less disappointing.

Mr Moose

i-know-some-of-these-words-mhmm.gif

They've only been more readily available for maybe the past month.

But you know what? PS5 has been more readily available too! Sony and MS are finally solving some of these supply issues. Still a ton of demand, but Sony and MS are able to produce more now and actually get them onto shelves.
The Series S?

jm89

"but how will MS ever recoup the $70bn for Activision" crowd takes a hit.
They will want their gaming segment to perform will enough to justify those purchases.

No company will bankroll a division that is not performing well enough to justify spending 10s of billions. Not saying Xbox is not performing well, having years like 2022 ain't gonna cut it.

chonga

They factored a slowdown in coming out of the pandemic. When forecast, it actually does matter what months of the year it is.
So which is it? Pandemic or the summer?

You can't just throw new shit in.

You tried to downplay the negative figures with 'well it is the summer months'. The inference being that summer is a quiet period. And yes, it usually it. You can expect fewer units and big releases during those months.

But that's the whole point of YoY figures. It erodes, as best it can, seasonality of that kind.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Better hurry to support NFT’s
I guess microsoft fucking hates money

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, but we're talking about MS as a whole, which is understandable, given their quasi-monpolistic position in the realm of software, and their leading cloud business. The Xbox division would not dream of a tenth of such an investment on its own.

As long as they had daddy Satya's check book, it's all good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Topher

Gold Member
The best buy link doesn't show available to me and only Walmart has stock at retail price in your first link (and MS's website but they ship out in batches).

I don't think that qualifies as "pretty good" availability.

I mean "pretty good" relative to what it has been in the previous months. But yeah, you can buy it from Walmart right now. I certainly wouldn't call that poor availability.

Neofire

They probably are interested in Sega however some analysts think Microsoft have set their sights on a much bigger fish:
The Blizzard Activision deal had people side eyeing that and still is and you think them buying the largest and biggest streaming company wouldn't trigger all sorts of questions from the FTC and others? 👀

ZywyPL

Banned
Don't be surprised if Nintendo and Sony are both down too, 20 and 21 were nuts years, and a tough act to follow

I don't think so. Most if not all of guys in the thread see only the current gen, whereas all those 120M of PS4 and 110M NSW haven't go anywhere, thats a userbase that makes those two pretty much safe, conpared to what, 45-50M XB1?

But all in all things are shaping up to be a dramatic turnaround for XB this gen, the console sanes, software sakes, services, everything is on a really good track.

Goalus

The Blizzard Activision deal had people side eyeing that and still is and you think them buying the largest and biggest streaming company wouldn't trigger all sorts of questions from the FTC and others? 👀
Netflix offers something that MS doesn't have yet, so it would make sense for MS to welcome Netflix to the family. While they're at it, they could also welcome Snap in order to strengthen their social media presence.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes because making a film/series is totally the same as making a game.
No, its just that when you as publisher delay every fucking game in existence that's not directed by Rodd Ferguson, that's a pattern of mismanagement. MS 1st party management has been impressively bad especially when you're competition manages to have 2-3 major releases most years for the past 10 10-15 years.

Even when they're delayed games do get released they become half assed.
Thnk i'm going to up my Xbox series sales predicition to 90mil. These 2 beasts are beating 360, i'm certain if it now.
giphy.gif

Stuart360

It wont be funny for you when it happens. The second half of this gen is going to be flooded with Xbox exclusives, and if the consoles are selling when Xbox (and gaming itself really) is going through a massive dry spell, why wouldnt it sell well when the games are flowing like fine wine?.

By the way the mods said they look extra at these kind of threads, so some of you should keep that in mind.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It wonr be funny for you when it happens. The second half of this gen is going to be flooded with Xbox exclusives, and if the consoles are selling when Xbox (and gaming itself really) is going through a massive dry spell, why wouldnt it sell well when the games are flowing like fine wine?.
I believed in unicorns when I was 5. Now that I am older, I don't believe in unicorns. Believing that MS is going to magically become competent in game development after 10+ years of mediocre to garbage (occasionally some good stuff like Forza and Gears 4,5) exclusives is the equivalent of believing in unicorns. I'll believe it when I see it and I, like you, am hoping for it to happen. But the simple fact of the matter is that MS has been dogshit when it comes to managing their projects.

I love my Xbox Series X, it's better for 3rd party games than my PS5, mostly. But in the area where I care most about Xbox...exclusives...MS has tragically underdelivered. While Sony on the otherhand, manages to have a multiple major exclusives ready to go each year.

How the fuck with that much money and that many studios can MS not even pull off ONE major release while their competition can pull off 2-3? Sometimes more.

The answer: Poor management. Incompetence.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I believed in unicorns when I was 5. Now that I am older, I don't believe in unicorns. Believing that MS is going to magically become competent in game development after 10+ years of mediocre to garbage (occasionally some good stuff like Forza and Gears 4,5) exclusives is the equivalent of believing in unicorns. I'll believe it when I see it and I, like you, am hoping for it to happen. But the simple fact of the matter is that MS has been dogshit when it comes to managing their projects.

I love my Xbox Series X, it's better for 3rd party games than my PS5, mostly. But in the area where I care most about Xbox...exclusives...MS has tragically underdelivered. While Sony on the otherhand, manages to have a multiple major exclusives ready to go each year.

How the fuck with that much money and that many studios can MS not even pull off ONE major release while their competition can pull off 2-3? Sometimes more.

The answer: Poor management. Incompetence.
They have had some good exclusives so far this gen. If you dont like them thats down to you. And most people already accepted that it was going to take time, a considerable amount of time, for all their new studios to start releasing games, thats why i said second half of the gen.
And it seems a lot of the masses realize that too judging from the sales, so why cant you?.

Top Bottom