• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earning Report FY22 Q4 | Gaming Revenue Down 7% YoY

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some of these comments have me really interested for sonys figures....just to see if the energy is the same.

Unless, Sony is killing it and still seeing growth over 2021....which I thought we knew wasn't the case...but OK.

Fredrik

20 billion dollars of profit per quarter. That is obscene...😐
They’ve been trucking along like this for a long time.

The stock market as a whole is sadly in flames, 2022 has been a nightmare, otherwise it would’ve been an opportunity to jump in, I think the stock will drop when the market opens.

Stock graph

iRBcDVZ.jpg

And for comparison, Sony

QcXS2r1.jpg

And Nvidia

ToNABvf.jpg

Last edited:

freefornow

Once the Acti/Bliz acquisition is finalised (and it will), all that gaming revenue will be on MS quarterlies.
If I'm not mistaken (please correct if I am), King revenue alone will be significant. Assuming their mobile market is as strong as ever.

modiz

Great hardware sales in US, even with exclusives lacking this year.
If they can manage doing okay numbers in such a year, next years will be way better. What a change from Xbox given how they almost became irrelevant.

reksveks

Once the Acti/Bliz acquisition is finalised (and it will), all that gaming revenue will be on MS quarterlies.
If I'm not mistaken (please correct if I am), King revenue alone will be significant. Assuming their mobile market is as strong as ever.
Find out next week re the strength of King. I think it will be up, there was signs that the top mobile devs were doing well and Diablo Immortal is doing decent.

He said next gen consoles.
Yeah, I know. Its just PR and not that bothered by it really.

sinnergy

Corona is normalizing , so are these businesses now.. you also see it with streaming services like Netflix, nothing to worrying. The last 2 years these companies included MS made big bucks.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure if they deserve to have their second best Q4 given how slow their output has been and with all the big game delays. But good on MS I guess, I’d have expected worse numbers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Almost doubling revenue since 2015 is pretty crazy.

Just get the fucking games out MS....you know...the thing that's what a console is supposed to do....play games.

There's lots of good and great games, game pass is awesome...but everyone knows its lacking on the heavy hitters front.

Give me gears 6, then all the actual new exciting stuff. Fable reboot, and more!

...cant wait for starfield lol

Fredrik

Almost doubling revenue since 2015 is pretty crazy.

Just get the fucking games out MS....you know...the thing that's what a console is supposed to do....play games.

There's lots of good and great games, game pass is awesome...but everyone knows its lacking on the heavy hitters front.

Give me gears 6, then all the actual new exciting stuff. Fable reboot, and more!

...cant wait for starfield lol
Honestly, at this point I would be glad just to see a CGI trailer, even a logo in some cases.

This thing of only showing games coming the next 12 months at E3 was not as clever as it might’ve seemed in theory. It only decreased the hype since it essentially just became Starfield-the-show when it comes to proper AAA hype. They had the extended show too but I don’t even remember what that was about.

Forza Horizon 5 Hot Wheels hyped me up at E3 and it’s out now and it’s awesome but was released with no fanfare at all that I could spot.

MS is simply crap at building hype right now.

reksveks

Honestly, at this point I would be glad just to see a CGI trailer, even a logo in some cases.

This thing of only showing games coming the next 12 months at E3 was not as clever as it might’ve seemed in theory. It only decreased the hype since it essentially just became Starfield-the-show when it comes to proper AAA hype. They had the extended show too but I don’t even remember what that was about.

Forza Horizon 5 Hot Wheels hyped me up at E3 and it’s out now and it’s awesome but was released with no fanfare at all that I could spot.

MS is simply crap at building hype right now.
I think there could be an argument that spending money and trying to build hype now especially if they are slightly hardware constrained but more importantly don't have the software to release.

I also find shit like this interesting: https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/09/...40-of-tv-ad-spend-from-gaming-brands-in-2020/ I do wondering if MS needs to up their spend in general on marketing but i probably wouldn't do it now if i was them.

Last edited:
I also find shit like this interesting: https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/09/...40-of-tv-ad-spend-from-gaming-brands-in-2020/ I do wondering if MS needs to up their spend in general on marketing but i probably wouldn't do it now if i was them.
Obviously purely anecdotal, but the few gamers I know IRL didn't know about Gamepass, or they heard of it but didn't really know what it was until I explained it. At least here in Germany, ads for Xbox and/or Gamepass have been very, very scarce. I don't watch a lot of TV though. But I do see a lot of Nintendo ads and a decent amount of Playstation ads, so that can't be it.

reksveks

Obviously purely anecdotal, but the few gamers I know IRL didn't know about Gamepass, or they heard of it but didn't really know what it was until I explained it. At least here in Germany, ads for Xbox and/or Gamepass have been very, very scarce. I don't watch a lot of TV though. But I do see a lot of Nintendo ads and a decent amount of Playstation ads, so that can't be it.
There was this one around the console launch (https://t.co/Tq2DT7TlZc) but yeah, advertising for Xbox seems lower on an absolute number than PlayStation but another way to look at it, it might be aligned to the revenue pretty closely.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think there could be an argument that spending money and trying to build hype now especially if they are slightly hardware constrained by more importantly don't have the software to release.

Yeah they aren’t good at poking through the walls of their bubble.

TV ads seems old school, I don’t watch TV, only streaming services.

But they could to be at cinemas.

I saw Top Gun Maverick last night, would’ve been peeeeerfect to have an ad for Xbox Series X and Flight Simulator with the Top Gun expansion there. I would’ve payed big dollars to get a spot before the movie if I was MS. (Absolutely fantastic movie by the way! One of the best sequels ever!)

I’m not sure I’ve even seen a Xbox Series X ad to be honest.

Last edited:
Gaming revenue being down 7 % despite all their efforts and investments doesn't look great.

Hardware sales being down 11 % is also worrying so soon in a new generation. Still, future AAA games could turn things around.
Being that their hardware has been far more available at retail over the last quarter it's surprising, the Series S is on store shelves pretty much everywhere and has been for months, you can even find a Series X at some locations which was unheard of 4-6 months ago. You can also get a Series X pretty much anytime you want through their payment plan.

Being that their hardware has been far more available at retail over the last quarter it's surprising, the Series S is on store shelves pretty much everywhere and has been for months, you can even find a Series X at some locations which was unheard of 4-6 months ago. You can also get a Series X pretty much anytime you want through their payment plan.
Series S being the main console sold means that, in pure numbers, the hardware is doing less revenue, since Series S is much cheaper.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Gaming Revenue should be up with a bigger install base and far better hardware sales than last year.

The fact that its down just shows how important it is to deliver exclusives instead of relying on third parties. Third parties have dropped the ball this gen, and this is where first party shouldve come in.

MS needs to go on a hiring spree instead of an acquisition spree to get games out faster.
You do realize that they essentially accomplish the spree hiring when they make an acquisition, right?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It wouldn’t surprise me this year, there’s actual competition on the sub segment and no big hitter coming for the holidays. If it still grows despite that it’s from Cloud or maybe the Riot deal.

What is even the point of posting hyperbolic bullshit like that, I don’t know. You’re not making any argument.
Is it not true that MS big time games are constantly being delayed? That's not hyperbole. It's the truth.

oldergamer

So which is it? Pandemic or the summer?

You can't just throw new shit in.

You tried to downplay the negative figures with 'well it is the summer months'. The inference being that summer is a quiet period. And yes, it usually it. You can expect fewer units and big releases during those months.

But that's the whole point of YoY figures. It erodes, as best it can, seasonality of that kind.
Both are a factor. Use your head! There is always a slowdown in summer months every year. There is also a crazy high from the pandemic that cant be sustained.

Chukhopops

Is it not true that MS big time games are constantly being delayed? That's not hyperbole. It's the truth.
Here’s the quote I replied to:
They would still be happy for MS every coming year if games would delay, rebooted or canceld and then still get absolutely nothing for the whole coming gen to play, other then some indies on GP.
If you think this is the truth you’re just a waste of time. There’s no point even arguing that when there has already been a lot coming out this gen whether people like it or not.

That’s why I say the troll quality has gone down, not even attempting to use numbers or facts anymore.

Three

Ha
They've only been more readily available for maybe the past month.

But you know what? PS5 has been more readily available too! Sony and MS are finally solving some of these supply issues. Still a ton of demand, but Sony and MS are able to produce more now and actually get them onto shelves.
Xbox hardware sales were down 11%, you know that right? This isn't a case of "we've solved the supply issue". This is lower demand.

Three

Keep dreaming. There was a supply issue for XSX last quarter, and more XSS sold (relatively), which means revenue dropped since XSS is much cheaper. No sign of lower demand.
I know the idea of console demand especially xbox makes you upset but logically how can hardware sales be down 11% with more consoles available on shelves but demand be the same? Does logic not mean anything to you?

Topher

Gold Member
Holy shit, man! What we do know, Microsoft is a trillion dollar company. Sony and Nintendo, aren't. Not even close. What else do you need to know? If that doesn't explain why they don't reveal numbers, you can't be helped.

Microsoft doesn't reveal numbers because they were embarrassed about how poorly Xbox One performed against PS4. Has nothing to do with the trillions of dollars the company makes overall.

reksveks

I know the idea of console demand especially xbox makes you upset but logically how can hardware sales be down 11% with more consoles available on shelves but demand be the same? Does logic not mean anything to you?
Not saying this is the case cause we don't have the numbers but a 'what if' would show it's possible.

Q2 2021
50X @ 499 = 24,950
50S @ 299 = 14,950
100 consoles = 39,900

Q2 2022
30X @ 499 = 14,970
80S @ 299 = 23,920
110 consoles = 38,990

So that would be 10% more units in total, but 3% less revenue. Again not saying that this is the case, not enough info. I do wondering if we should be using the CC changes but ehh.

reksveks

Microsoft doesn't reveal numbers because they were embarrassed about how poorly Xbox One performed against PS4. Has nothing to do with the trillions of dollars the company makes overall.
think its a bit of both personally. I do think the bigger companies have realised that they can get away with less data (https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanba...ds-macs-sold-despite-record-revenue-forecast/) obviously they stopped sharing for a reason but its relative to the power that they have in comparison to shareholders.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
think its a bit of both personally. I do think the bigger companies have realised that they can get away with less data (https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanba...ds-macs-sold-despite-record-revenue-forecast/)

"And the reason is that the Cupertino-based tech giant is expecting the number of units sold for each of its product categories to either stagnate or decrease, while their price tag (i.e. revenues) increases."

This was not what happened with Xbox One. The realization was that the console was getting trounced.

Last edited:
"And the reason is that the Cupertino-based tech giant is expecting the number of units sold for each of its product categories to either stagnate or decrease, while their price tag (i.e. revenues) increases."

This was not what happened with Xbox One. The realization was that the console was getting trounced.
Microsoft hides all the good numbers from other divisions too. It's just how they roll. There's no selective hiding like with the Vita or badly selling games, they just hide basically everything :messenger_beaming:

The only really transparent company is Nintendo. They didn't hide the horrible WiiU sales numbers. They upgrade their individual software sales numbers every 3 months, even for games that don't sell that well. Nintendo is king of transparency.

reksveks

not saying it wasn't trounced, i am saying that MS grew to a position where they could hide the fact they were getting trounced aka a bit of both. They do hide their successes but so does Apple but for other reasons now. Apple will cling to whatever logic they come up with to not put a margin against the app store. Every company at some points wants to hide some metrics and their ability to do so is always relative to their power relative to Shareholders.

Last edited:
How about, no. Seriously, what is it with xbox fanboys wanting Microsoft to monopolize the gaming industry.

I have never been called a Xbox fanboy...In fact, in terms of brand allure, Xbox is a distant third to me -and I am being polite-. These MS power moves, I do not like myself, as you can clearly see that the company is rich enough to disrupt/distort the market on its own; but they are happening regardless of what you, I or any other observer think of them. MS stated that they want some presence in Japan, hence why I made the comment about Sega. But, hey, if they really, really wanted to, they could make Capcom an offer they would not refuse...I hope it does not come to pass, given how big MS gaming wing already is, after the Acti-Blizzard deal, but it would not shock to me to wake up at such a news...🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft hides all the good numbers from other divisions too. It's just how they roll. There's no selective hiding like with the Vita or badly selling games, they just hide basically everything :messenger_beaming:

The only really transparent company is Nintendo. They didn't hide the horrible WiiU sales numbers. They upgrade their individual software sales numbers every 3 months, even for games that don't sell that well. Nintendo is king of transparency.

Not saying Sony is above this sort of thing. I remember when Kaz announced they were going to give out PS2 and PS3 numbers combined. Why? Cuz PS3 sales sucked. Same situation with Xbox One.

Last edited:

Honestly your green rat glasses are embarrassing at times. When Xbox was on top they reported numbers.
Last gen they stopped reporting numbers because they were last,nothing has changed. It's not how they roll it's because they're numbers aren't anywhere near as good as the competition.

Honestly your green rat glasses are embarrassing at times. When Xbox was on top they reported numbers.
Last gen they stopped reporting numbers because they were last,nothing has changed. It's not how they roll it's because they're numbers aren't anywhere near as good as the competition.
They're massively outcompeting everyone in a lot of their subdivisions (for example, cloud), and yet they don't release any detailed numbers. Yes, that's exactly how they roll.

Ozriel

M$FT

Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Harry Potter, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghostwire Tokyo, God of War, GT7, Avatar and a lot of other AAA games got COVID related delays. It’s called a Pandemic.

Platform warring is probably the only reason why you’re playing up delays for Redfall and Starfield as outliers.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Microsoft doesn't reveal numbers because they don't have to, not even for Xbox. The numbers literally have no bearing on consumers like you and me aside from warrior shit - which is irrelevant AF.

Ozriel

M$FT

They’ve long since switched to MAUs, which does make sense for their console business since Xbox is now on PC and cloud streaming.

Your logic doesn’t work since they report Gamepass numbers…even when you lot insist that they’re behind Sony in subscribers.

You folks have been making the “MS won’t release numbers because they’re last “ posts for years. If insanity is defined as “doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”, what does that say about folks that come into every MS quarterly report thread to whine about sales numbers?

oldergamer

Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Harry Potter, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghostwire Tokyo, God of War, GT7, Avatar and a lot of other AAA games got COVID related delays. It’s called a Pandemic.

Platform warring is probably the only reason why you’re playing up delays for Redfall and Starfield as outliers.
You pretty much nailed it. Some how the only delays that matter this gen are if they were xbox exclusives. No crying about mismanagement when pretty much everyone else has delayed games. Its just that uneven view that pisses me off on the forums.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft doesn't reveal numbers because they don't have to, not even for Xbox. The numbers literally have no bearing on consumers like you and me aside from warrior shit - which is irrelevant AF.

That's all fine, but the reason they stopped giving out Xbox sales numbers was due to how poorly Xbox One performed. Let's not pretend that was just a coincidence.

oldergamer

They’ve long since switched to MAUs, which does make sense for their console business since Xbox is now on PC and cloud streaming.

Your logic doesn’t work since they report Gamepass numbers…even when you lot insist that they’re behind Sony in subscribers.

You folks have been making the “MS won’t release numbers because they’re last “ posts for years. If insanity is defined as “doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”, what does that say about folks that come into every MS quarterly report thread to whine about sales numbers?
Exactly. Well put and its a valid point that people are still doing .

Top Bottom