• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earning Report FY22 Q4 | Gaming Revenue Down 7% YoY

Three

Highest Xbox fiscal year ever, and Xbox Series is tracking positional with the 360 on the table, Xbox is back! Phil did actually do the turn around, had some bumps on the way and some false promises but he did do it.

The game is changing, and I am not talking about cartridges.
I mean he achieved highest xbox revenue by absorbing other publishers revenue. The game is changing but only what parent company the money is going to.

Three

And if they do shrink by 7 percent or more, what will you say then?

I don't think Sony has had a stronger year than this year in a long time. New horizon sequel, GT7, last of us remake, and God of war ragnorak....plus the megaton that is Stray :D

What will you think if they are showing any negative tracking YoY?

That goes to everyone posting their theories against MS in this thread.

Wouldn't it be even worse for Sony if their numbers are tracking any kind of negative when they have one of the strongest years for releases in the last few years? MS has had nothing for 2022 but are only 7 percent down in 2022, that's pretty damn amazing really compared to what I'm seeing from other companies vs YoY.
They will show negative tracking too. GT7 and Horizon were the previous quarter. I suspect everything to be down except subs. Keep in mind MS has the benefit of multiplatform releases, even PS exclusive releases, so when you say MS has had nothing for 2022 you mean xbox has had nothing for 2022. xbox has had nothing but MS as a publisher and its financials have.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I don't think Sony has had a stronger year than this year in a long time. New horizon sequel, GT7, last of us remake, and God of war ragnorak....plus the megaton that is Stray :D

What will you think if they are showing any negative tracking YoY?

That goes to everyone posting their theories against MS in this thread.

Wouldn't it be even worse for Sony if their numbers are tracking any kind of negative when they have one of the strongest years for releases in the last few years? MS has had nothing for 2022 but are only 7 percent down in 2022, that's pretty damn amazing really compared to what I'm seeing from other companies vs YoY.
Is MS only having a 7 percent decrease in revenue with such a quiet 2022 really a good thing?

Looks like he won't be saying anything.

e-sports banhammer GIF by Austrian Force eSports

Never heard that before. Is it this? And what did they do?
[/URL][/URL]

Was started by Reagan, they rig the markets to encourage growth and stop drops they buy index futures at a high price to tip up shorts and hedge funds so stocks don't go down.

For example XLF drops from 50 to 38 and then they say Index futures predicting the price will "be 70 dollars in 5 months" that's a basic version of what they are doing.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Was started by Reagan, they rig the markets to encourage growth and stop drops they buy index futures at a high price to tip up shorts and hedge funds so stocks don't go down.

For example XLF drops from 50 to 38 and then they say Index futures predicting the price will "be 70 dollars in 5 months" that's a basic version of what they are doing.
Sounds illegal. As if the stock market can’t be disconnected enough from the reality as it is.

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds illegal. As if the stock market can’t be disconnected enough from the reality as it is.
I think before the pandemic people had the illusion that the market reflected reality, it was during it, that we got to see just how disconnected it actually is.

It in no way reflects the reality of any economy, and you can watch big firms move money around like a wave where as they move ppl try to catch it on the way up and drop it before it cones down.

It's the biggest ponzi scheme out there, but you have to buy in if you want to get ahead.

Fredrik

I think before the pandemic people had the illusion that the market reflected reality, it was during it, that we got to see just how disconnected it actually is.

It in no way reflects the reality of any economy, and you can watch big firms move money around like a wave where as they move ppl try to catch it on the way up and drop it before it cones down.

It's the biggest ponzi scheme out there, but you have to buy in if you want to get ahead.
Yeah but at the same time things can go south because of real world events so it’s not an isolated bubble. I’d say a stock’s value is a reflection of the investors hopes and dreams for the future rather than the real value or realistic potential of the company in question.

I’ve jumped in early on the stock market and has been lucky to ride this strange wave when it essentially just rolled at one direction. But today I wish I was out… Well, the last couple days has been fun but for the year I’m down -21%. Trying to buy and sell to crawl back up again but it’s hard when things can move at either direction seemingly for no reason at all.

It's not illegal because Congress and Reagan made it legal, and the President and Congress still support it today. It was illegal though, until they made it not. Now you know why the older financial guys say it's rigged all the time. BTW, Plunger team isn't th only "team" btw.

Three

Office Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 9% (up 13% in constant currency) driven by Office 365 Commercial revenue growth of 15% (up 19% in constant currency)

because they put their prices up this year I expect the same.

Last edited:

reksveks

because they put their prices up this year I expect the same.

In the last 10-k, they just said "Office Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased $4.4 billion or 13%. Office 365 Commercial revenue grew 18% driven by seat growth of 14%, with continued momentum in small and medium business and frontline worker offerings, as well as growth in revenue per user. Office Commercial products revenue declined 22% driven by continued customer shift to cloud offerings.". I do expect the same to be true this year, increase in both users and arpu. I haven't come across seat growth before.

Three

In the last 10-k, they just said "Office Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased $4.4 billion or 13%. Office 365 Commercial revenue grew 18% driven by seat growth of 14%, with continued momentum in small and medium business and frontline worker offerings, as well as growth in revenue per user. Office Commercial products revenue declined 22% driven by continued customer shift to cloud offerings.". I do expect the same to be true this year, increase in both users and arpu. I haven't come across seat growth before.
A lot of people probably signed up for a year last year before the March 2022 increase. Would be interesting to see how it affected seat count now. Certainly helped with the revenue boost YoY.

Jaybe

Minor bump to just remind that we are getting MS earnings tomorrow

October 25, 2022 2:30 PM - PT

Content shall be the interesting one, expecting more of the same. GP revenue up and other content down.
I believe last earnings date that they provided guidance that Content and Services was forecasted to decline for this soon due to reduced year over year engagement. I expect we see another year over year decline this quarter when they report.

reksveks

I believe last earnings date that they provided guidance that Content and Services was forecasted to decline for this soon due to reduced year over year engagement. I expect we see another year over year decline this quarter when they report.
Yeah, they did and software numbers from the US, EU and UK reflect (although thats for all the platform holders)

Three

I'm expecting an increase due to services.

reksveks

I'm expecting an increase due to services.
Got a breakdown from the ABK thread between the two, right?

2,900mill on GP, 9,681 on others so roughly ~1:3.33.

Using the US as an example, SW down 10% would require Services up like 33%. Flat would seems like a good result to me.

edit also add the minor factor of FX impacts (gbp was 1.38 a year ago, now its 1.13)

Last edited:

yurinka

Kind of a quiet year for Xbox from a games perspective. I’m hoping this changes dramatically in the next 12 months (which it should!).
I think the only dramatic change we'll see next year will be related to the addition of ABK revenue to the MS Gaming revenue because I think they'll complete the acquisition somewhere in late May/early June.

I think Starfield and Forza won't cause any substantial spike on Xbox console sales or GP subs because I think that most people interested on them already are onboard.

Last edited:

Three

Got a breakdown from the ABK thread between the two, right?

2,900mill on GP, 9,681 on others so roughly ~1:3.33.

Using the US as an example, SW down 10% would require Services up like 33%. Flat would seems like a good result to me.
Interesting, you are probably right. Would the overall market match xbox? SW is down 10% overall, correct?

Low increase to flat is kind of what I'm expecting.

reksveks

Interesting, you are probably right. Would the overall market match xbox? SW is down 10% overall, correct?

Low increase to flat is kind of what I'm expecting.

yeah, US down 9-10%, UK units down 9% and EU units down 21% (EU doesn't matter as much). The previous quarter was roughly in-line with the market, Xbox was slightly better than the overall market but only 1/2% points if i remember correctly.

I have added another minor issue for xbox which is FX impacts (particular bad for UK was 1.38:1 now 1.13, EU was 1.16 now 1) Don't think EU matters as much.

Last edited:
Minor bump to just remind that we are getting MS earnings tomorrow

October 25, 2022 2:30 PM - PT

Content shall be the interesting one, expecting more of the same. GP revenue up and other content down.

Well they already said they expect console sales to remain flat quarter-over-quarter, we'll just have to see if they beat those expectations or underperformed. Could go either way honestly, there have been a lot of Series S deals the past month or so even in NA. Those could either be reflective of more demand, or trying to stir up sales due to lack of demand.

Top Bottom