• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft exec reiterates strategy for AB games after acquisition

yurinka

So get an Xbox then.
I don't need it. I have PS, Switch and a gaming PC and have more games than I can play. I have all the games I want to play there. Most Xbox exclusives aren't interesting enough for me.

But this month I might pay $1 for 3 months of PC GP to play some games I have pending since the last time I got PC GP for free.

Last edited:
Sounds like everybody wins except the reason to buy an Xbox.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Never change, never give up.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm still not actually expecting new CODs to release Day 1 into GamePass, though. Too much money left on the table. They might do a 3-month gap between releasing it for purchase and then bring the new campaigns (and any new MP with them) to GamePass. Guessing, anyway.

Absolutely no way in hell that new COD games don’t come to Gamepass day 1. Zero chance of that happening.

Absolutely no way in hell that new COD games don’t come to Gamepass day 1. Zero chance of that happening.

Those some strong fantasy pills you're popping, my guy 😁

Trust me, GamePass subs aren't going to be worth offsetting guaranteed income from sold copies not just on PS but Xbox as well. Considering a majority of people who play COD are only playing COD anyway, they probably won't want a continued sub service to access it unless they can get in for very cheap, which then cuts into the revenue MS would've made from them from just buying the game Day 1.

Again we already saw them do an Early Access release for FH5 and that is a smaller IP than COD. I can see a 1-month Early Access release for COD on Xbox & PlayStation before then going into GamePass, at the very least. I'm sure MS'd of done the same for Halo if it wasn't a F2P where the campaign and MP are essentially broken up into two distinct games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Never change, never give up.
For real though.

Can you tell me the idea of buying companies not to improve your library?

I know Sony did the same with Bungie,which also doesn't make sense.

I don't care either way since I play the games on my pc, but if you know that if Microsoft buys another publisher I won't change anything for other people, then why buy their product to begin with?

If I can play cod, spider man, god of war etc on my pc or whatever platform I own, why own more than one?

I love it personally, but it doesn't make sense to be both first and third party.

For real though.

I don't care either way since I play the games on my pc, but if you know that if Microsoft buys another publisher I won't change anything for other people, then why buy their product to begin with?

If I can play cod, spider man, god of war etc on my pc or whatever platform I own, why own more than one?

I love it personally, but it doesn't make sense to be both first and third party.

Because by buying them, companies like Microsoft increase their revenue flow meaning more revenue and more profit. I look at moves like the ABK acquisition in particular, as moves driven to grow MS's bottom line and also to get them a stronger foothold in gaming for Azure Cloud services to other devs & pubs who could become clients.

However that benefits Xbox or even GamePass is up to the whims of Microsoft but I don't think those are necessarily the priority. Same can be said for Sony's acquisition of Bungie TBH; it's less about what it does for PlayStation as a console, and more what it'll do for Sony's overall revenue and profit flow (PlayStation's in particular in their case, considering the price they're paying for Bungie compared to what MS is paying for ABK).

For real though.

Own more than one cause you want to and you might prefer to play on one thing over the other. I own an expensive gaming PC, PS5, an Xbox Series X, and a gaming laptop. I can totally justify needing every last one.

Also, Xbox Game Studios are building more exclusives games internally than ever before, plus they're finding external partnerships to build more exclusives, example Contraband with apparently others in the wings to be announced.

Now Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6 and any future Fallout games would have always been among the most anticipated games by far this gen whether Microsoft acquired them or not, and now all of those games (new singleplayer entries) will be exclusive to xbox consoles. That's already a massive improvement to their library. Redfall from Arkane would have also been multiplat, but now that's exclusive to Xbox.

The same will be true for major singleplayer projects for the rest of Bethesda's studios, such as id software. Indiana Jones may not be exclusive from Machine Games due to the Lucasfilm part of it, but that deal was made before Microsoft acquired Bethesda. But that wouldn't apply to a new Wolfenstein.

And what makes all this even better is that every last one of these games going into Game Pass day is further improving Xbox's value as a gaming platform. Game Pass literally is one of Xbox's most important exclusives. That service is promising you that you get to play the full versions of all new Xbox first party games day and date at no additional cost. As long as the great games, big AAAs included, keep coming, it's literally important enough to call it the most important exclusive they have.

And, make no mistake, Bethesda's big singleplayer RPGs are consistently massive hits. Starfield, unless something has changed dramatically, will be no different from their past great games. They know how to make incredible games. People may laugh at character models, animations, graphics, but they are masters of world building. They make you believe the spaces you are in. They feel fully realized, you feel like you are really there. There's lots of depth and attention to detail. You really get your money's worth with a Bethesda RPG.

Starfield, Fallout and Elder Scrolls are all as big a deal as Call of Duty ever was; they simply just aren't the kinds of games that you will ever see release as often. Hell, to me they are bigger because they're my preferred style of game. I'm finally thinking about giving COD another chance again (last time I did was Modern Warfare 2 after COD 4 way back in the 360 days, but I was always looking forward to Bethesda's RPGs more than any COD this gen.

To put into perspective the kind of draw these guys have, the last big release from Bethesda's main studio in Rockland Maryland was Fallout 4, which sold 12 million copies by launch day. That's better than Elden Ring and even better than Cyberpunk 2077 at launch. Fallout 4 gets lots of criticism (even the very best games do), but it's legitimately an incredible game experience. They streamlined some RPG systems, but that didn't prevent it from being an incredible game with deep customization all the same. The additional crafting and upgrade system took character customization to a whole other level from any of the previous games.

Now as to Activision Blizzard, though I initially assumed they would go ahead and make many of those games exclusive after the contracts are up, there are very strong reasons to NOT do so, to not do what the fanboys want. A more successful Xbox or Microsoft Gaming business means a better, more successful and more competitive Xbox!

More new games, more ambitious projects, more intermediate and smaller projects. Just more games all around. Game Pass becoming more of a value juggernaut is every bit as important as having Xbox exclusives, even when that comes at the cost of compromises on exclusivity to Xbox with specific Activision games. Just imagine the amount of revenue from Warzone, Warzone 2, MW2 (future COD games), Diablo 4, Overwatch 2 all being multi-platform? But then we still have Warzone mobile (which is coming), COD Mobile, Candy Crush (which is also apart of the Activision transaction), as well as World of Warcraft, which we know full well is going to end up on game pass and come to consoles.

They can selectively make specific new titles exclusive to Xbox, such as Blizzard's new survival game. They can give some of the studios more creative freedom as they like to make something more to their liking, but again, exclusives are something nobody should be concerned about on Xbox because Xbox clearly has plenty on the way.

I have one major concern, though, every single studio under Activision literally helped with COD MW2. Sorta makes you wonder how they will possibly find a chance to give those other studios enough creative freedom without possibly harming COD as a franchise. I know most hate the usual COD cycle, and I'm not a fan of it myself, but they do some very impressive things organizationally and from a technical standpoint.

Hezekiah

Banned
There were some fools that said Acti-Blizz would remain entirely multiplat the way Bungie is going to be.

Idk how Sony made such a shit deal and isn't even getting a single exclusive out of it.
I haven't seen that.

I have seen plenty of people claim that CoD, Overwatch, Diablo etc would be going exclusive which obviously isn't happening, CoD won't even be coming to GamePass any time soon.

Ozriel

M$FT
Those some strong fantasy pills you're popping, my guy 😁
I don’t know what part of “all first party games will be on Gamepass day one” is difficult to understand.

they’ve spent billions of dollars to acquire content for Gamepass. They’ve long stated that these acquisitions are driven by the need to push Gamepass subscriptions and to add content to the service.

Trust me, GamePass subs aren't going to be worth offsetting guaranteed income from sold copies not just on PS but Xbox as well.

They’re getting sales income from Steam and PS5, and a guaranteed uptick in subscribers who will pay $10 - 15 a month. Also expanding to Switch.

Considering a majority of people who play COD are only playing COD anyway, they probably won't want a continued sub service to access it unless they can get in for very cheap, which then cuts into the revenue MS would've made from them from just buying the game Day 1.

Source on the ‘majority of COD players only play COD’. Because that’s clearly pulled from thin air.

More likely these are folks who will subscribe to play COD and play other games on the service. That’d be what MS would be banking on.

Again we already saw them do an Early Access release for FH5 and that is a smaller IP than COD. I can see a 1-month Early Access release for COD on Xbox & PlayStation before then going into GamePass, at the very least. I'm sure MS'd of done the same for Halo if it wasn't a F2P where the campaign and MP are essentially broken up into two distinct games.

Forza Horizon 3 had an early access Ultimate edition in 2016. More than half a year before Gamepass commenced in June 2017.

It helps to know what you’re talking about.

I don’t know what part of “all first party games will be on Gamepass day one” is difficult to understand.

But they've already not done that, see the latest Skyrim release and Forza Horizon 5 released for early purchase before coming to GamePass.

they’ve spent billions of dollars to acquire content for Gamepass. They’ve long stated that these acquisitions are driven by the need to push Gamepass subscriptions and to add content to the service.

I think that's part of their strategy. But if you realistically think about it, if stuff like the ABK purchase were purely for Xbox or even GamePass, they'd of probably made sure that division would have the revenue and profit streams to cover the cost themselves within a realistic time frame, but they don't. For the Xbox division to make back the cost on the ABK purchase it'd take them over 30 years. For Microsoft to make back the cost on the ABK purchase it'd take them a little over a single year.

That ABK acquisition is mainly for the benefit of Microsoft as a whole IMO and not driven purely by Xbox or GamePass, though they'll see benefits from it. That's why we're seeing, from MS's own mouths, that certain games will stay multi-console, and it's also why I think some like COD won't be in GamePass Day 1 unless they change that to mean "in terms of subscription service release". Probably why they'll do initial launch for purchase of new COD games for a month before dropping them into GamePass.

They’re getting sales income from Steam and PS5, and a guaranteed uptick in subscribers who will pay $10 - 15 a month. Also expanding to Switch.

Right, and you don't think them putting new COD games into GamePass Day 1, will affect sales on Steam, PS5, and Switch? I'm almost certain that'll have some effect because people tend to underestimate how many multi-gaming platform people are out there.

The problem then becomes, what if that influx of new people sub for just a single month or two, or use a free trail offer, or MS Reward points to pay for a few months, etc? It effectively means money lost for Microsoft, because sub growth may not translate to a proportional growth in revenue from the sub service.

Source on the ‘majority of COD players only play COD’. Because that’s clearly pulled from thin air.

It's not that different from the casuals who only play Fortnite or Madden; COD's a super mainstream series and that also means a big chunk of those 15 million - 20 million+ buyers are just in it for the yearly COD and maybe Warzone. Not sure why that's so hard to believe.

More likely these are folks who will subscribe to play COD and play other games on the service. That’d be what MS would be banking on.

Some of them perhaps. Definitely not all of them though.

Forza Horizon 3 had an early access Ultimate edition in 2016. More than half a year before Gamepass commenced in June 2017.

It helps to know what you’re talking about.

But FH3 came out when GamePass was even available, why are you going that far back 😂?

I'm talking about FH5, since that came out in the GamePass era, so it's far more relevant than FH3 here.

Top Bottom