• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

BigLee74

D2qNxJA.jpg

I just watched ‘Sully’, then recreated it on Microsoft Flight Simulator on my XSX.

It’s true, he really couldn’t make it back to the runway.

I showed the wife, and was showered with praise such as ‘sad fuck’, and ‘what did I marry?’ 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Excess

D2qNxJA.jpg

I just watched ‘Sully’, then recreated it on Microsoft Flight Simulator on my XSX.

It’s true, he really couldn’t make it back to the runway.

I showed the wife, and was showered with praise such as ‘sad fuck’, and ‘what did I marry?’ 😂😂😂
Damn, I wish you could've recorded it. The Sully landing is so amazing to me. I live right next to the Hudson and I try to imagine seeing a fucking jetliner coming down into it. I can't fathom it.

Buggy Loop

Just noticed the Eurofighter Typhoon is available in the marketplace.
The Mach Loop experience is on!
(Once, I er... actually know how to fly these mysterious flying things)

Can't speak for fighter mods in Flight sim, but speaking of the Eurofighter,

Heatblur (one of the best goddamn study plane makers for DCS, with the F14 Tomcat release), just announced the Eurofighter coming soon like a week or so ago.

I suggest anyone that is discovering Microsoft Flight sim, enjoying it, is curious about study sims and own a PC, to give DCS a go. The plane mods will never match these DCS fighter jets.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Can't speak for fighter mods in Flight sim, but speaking of the Eurofighter,

Heatblur (one of the best goddamn study plane makers for DCS, with the F14 Tomcat release), just announced the Eurofighter coming soon like a week or so ago.

I suggest anyone that is discovering Microsoft Flight sim, enjoying it, is curious about study sims and own a PC, to give DCS a go. The plane mods will never match these DCS fighter jets.

They cost a few bucks too.

Buggy Loop

They cost a few bucks too.

Sure, you have to be selective on your fighter choices and wait for sales, but so worth it. I got so much time out of the A10 for example, bought the warthog HOTAS and to this day, no regrets, it's still a sim i go back to that is still so satisfying to fly. Printing that 700 or so pages of user manual to fly a goddamn plane, making a cheat sheet, adding notes in the manual, putting stickers for quick references, etc, is part of the game experience.

Hari Seldon

Just started playing this weekend. Super fun but twice now in the middle of a flight the controls just stopped working. I am using a KB Stick + Track IR. The track IR still works and my stick still moves the yoke, but hte plane isn't responding. Like some autopilot or someshit randomly turned on. This happens in training mostly. Game seems really buggy for having come out last year.

Last edited:

Genx3

I'm absolutely Loving Flight Sim.
It's a little glitchy from time to time but that's rare.
Absolutely amazing tech show piece. Flew over NYC and the building I used to live in. The accuracy is incredible.

Genx3

Just started playing this weekend. Super fun but twice now in the middle of a flight the controls just stopped working. I am using a KB Stick + Track IR. The track IR still works and my stick still moves the yoke, but hte plane isn't responding. Like some autopilot or someshit randomly turned on. This happens in training mostly. Game seems really buggy for having come out last year.
Same thing happened to me only thing was my controller had just shut off on it's own, no low battery warning nothing.
Turns out it was the batteries to the controller. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Freeman76

Learning how to land smoothly is an incredible game moment.

Ive put insane hours into this already and love it more every time i play.

Learning how to read the VFR and combine that with the degrees and notes in the flight menu for bush trips is so satisfying.

A few annoying crashes, one at the end of a 35 min leg, but even that doesnt stop me playing.

10/10

Learning how to land smoothly is an incredible game moment.

Ive put insane hours into this already and love it more every time i play.

Learning how to read the VFR and combine that with the degrees and notes in the flight menu for bush trips is so satisfying.

A few annoying crashes, one at the end of a 35 min leg, but even that doesnt stop me playing.

10/10

No lies detected. Game of the generation on Series X so far for me. And it’s not all that close. I view it as some sort of miracle that this exists on my console.

51351071574_bafef60e0d_o.jpg

Freeman76

Is anyone else having issues with pop in and buildings not rendering? It was fine last week but since the update London has been a bit dodgy. It looks like all the buildings are kinda derelict?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Literally still just trying to find my house and I had it on PC. LMAO

Your house is in a photogrammetry area? Unfortunately mine is autogen'ed, as is my hometown. But luckily at about ~1500 feet and above this area looks great and very realistic, especially after the world update.

Did three hours of VR yesterday, but I noticed a couple of glitches after the update, and one being especially annoying. All the water reflections are "dancing around" like they are not attached to the scenery, it's very noticeable. Headache inducing and took me out of the experience. It will surely be fixed though (will be turning off reflections until then). Had a couple of CTDs as well.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Are the tutorial activities broken for anyone else on Xbox?
It’s like it don’t register what I’m doing 95% of the time. The lady that is supposed to give me my new task is silent while I do my tasks to perfection, no new updates.

Are the tutorial activities broken for anyone else on Xbox?
It’s like it don’t register what I’m doing 95% of the time. The lady that is supposed to give me my new task is silent while I do my tasks to perfection, no new updates.

This was happening to me but was fixed with a console reboot. Works fine now.

Freeman76

Im doing Bush trips and would like to understand this better. I follow the ° on the Navlog but end up way off course from where the white line on the VFR is showing me to be. It would be a lot easier if all the POI destinations were marked on the VFR but a lot arent so its to know whether to look for visual clues as suggested in the Navlog, just follow the VFR and switch the Navlog off entirely, or a combination of both? I struggle to know exactly when to reset the stopwatch so I dont find that a reliable means of navigation. Anyone have any tips please?

Last night MS's servers where shitting the bed for me. Freezes and delayed info, I flew right by my destination airport and was wondering if there was two in the area but after I flew by all of a sudden my airport switches to behind me 15kms.

sCHOCOLATE

Last night MS's servers where shitting the bed for me. Freezes and delayed info, I flew right by my destination airport and was wondering if there was two in the area but after I flew by all of a sudden my airport switches to behind me 15kms.
You could have avoided the mishap if you had hired Ted Stryker to fly that plane.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Kinda posted this in the "What are you playing" thread - but:
my flight sim jam is , flying for 30-45 minutes at random places - then researching these areas on google.

Outer Banks, SC over the wild horses reserve - and the Wright brothers museum. The airport is named First Flight - how cool is that?
Japan Fukushima Daiichi - the site of the terrible nuclear disaster. Sight seeing the country, japan sure has alot of golf courses.
West Virgina looking for Seneca Rocks - its in the game but not modeled properly, trees all over it.
Kinzu Sky Bridge - the huge toppled over railroad bridge in the PA mountains, again like Seneca its not modeled but its there.

Such a fascinating and relaxing experience - learning about (and seeing) the world - going to places ill never go in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So I must admit, have been intrigued by what’s been shown and have been YouTubing a few vids. But all too often almost a ‘bait and switch’ reality strikes….

Generic buildings everywhere, stadiums turned into Gulag style apartment blocks, etc….

Are people merrily visiting locales just accepting gross inaccuracies because they don’t know any better…..thoughts?

Last edited:
So I must admit, have been intrigued by what’s been shown and have been YouTubing a few vids. But all too often almost a ‘bait and switch’ reality strikes….

Generic buildings everywhere, stadiums turned into Gulag style apartment blocks, etc….

Are people merrily visiting locales just accepting gross inaccuracies because they don’t know any better…..thoughts?

Bit of a negative mindset there. You tried the game yourself?

My experience is that at 2000ft and above the game is remarkable. Folks that complain about the graphical fidelity closer to the ground…are just really looking hard for things to complain about in my opinion. And I’d say that many of the inaccuracies that exist will be addressed over the decade this game is going to be supported.

But thanks for the reminder about Australia….haven’t been there yet. In the game or real life. Simulated Australia will happen first.

Last edited:

Freeman76

If you're expecting a handcrafted 1:1 PLANET then nothing is going to satisfy you, Mr Half-empty.

Top Bottom