• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

nemiroff

Gold Member
I suppose there's a chance all this added detail, geometry, textures etc will have an effect on frame rate too?
Basically both MS and the end user need to pick their battles wisely when adding all this extra data to the base game.

There shouldn't normally be a huge difference as MSFS is built to handle tons of data. I'm also pretty sure MS has guidelines and requirements for optimization (like tuning the scenery for various LOD settings) before putting it on the marketplace, and also ORBX is a veteran developer that has a valuable reputation to take care of, they wouldn't normally put something out that would break the game. With that said, it's important to remember that after such big updates as Sim Update 5, developers need to update their content for compatibility. And if they are not, in those instances bugs and performance issues may occur.

Last edited:

CobraAB

What I don’t get tho is, Apple, Google and I assume bing, has all the satellite photogrammetry which should allow close to 100% accuracy surely.

Random Apple maps capture of Sydney….is it not better?

I was interested in flight sim, but not so much now. Probably because the chill virtual tourism was the hook for me, not so much the intricacies of flying aircraft….

There is a crap load of stuff in Apple Maps that does not have any 3D at all.

It’s impressive as hell what MS did here and I say that as a person with a bunch of Apple product in the house.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There is a crap load of stuff in Apple Maps that does not have any 3D at all.

Yes, all of these companies source their own data, differences shouldn't exactly come as a shock. Big planet, and different chances and priorities. With that said, it's important to constantly bother and put pressure on MS to push for becoming the best in this field. As good as NY looks, their photogrammetry is NOT good enough until it surpasses competitors by a solid margin. Hopefully MSFS gets more and more traction to somehow create more incentive towards a reaching a goal of making earth a good digital twin down to a tee. Until that we are at least somewhat lucky to have the option to patch things up with third parties.

Fuck the concerned trolls, "winning" here is focusing on the facts and letting MS know that we want better even though we already enjoy what we have.

Google:
Westchester-Google.jpeg

Bing:
Westchester-Bing.jpeg

This is just one example of the type of difference that we should let MS know about. Let's hope the summa worth and interest in Bing maps and MSFS justifies them investing in improvements (and as I wrote in another post; It seems like it already is, they are actually sending up airplanes to improve map data).

Last edited:
Did you just ask Schmunter if he’s played the game? 😂😂😂

I think he’d self-combust if he came within 10 metres of an Xbox.

Ah, gotcha. Still learning the cast of characters around here. Why one would put this much effort into nitpicking something Xbox players are excited about when they themselves have no interest in the ecosystem continues to be a weird phenomenon. Something mentioned troll. Checks out.

Shmunter

Ah, gotcha. Still learning the cast of characters around here. Why one would put this much effort into nitpicking something Xbox players are excited about when they themselves have no interest in the ecosystem continues to be a weird phenomenon. Something mentioned troll. Checks out.
How sanctimonious and smug of you. No wonder woke mindset triumphs - it’s all about self flagellation, complete agreement, safe spaces and everyone is Hitler that disagrees with me.

Sorry for hurting your feefees, but facts don’t care about your feelings. Hope you can cope going forward.

How sanctimonious and smug of you. No wonder woke mindset triumphs - it’s all about self flagellation, complete agreement, safe spaces and everyone is Hitler that disagrees with me.

Sorry for hurting your feefees, but facts don’t care about your feelings. Hope you can cope going forward.

Oh, I think I’ll be fine but thanks for your concern. Both for me and for Flight Sim.

Honestly, I detect that you would probably really dig it and your curiosity is piqued, despite your digs at it. I wouldn’t expect you to sully yourself with an Xbox, but perhaps you have a beefy PC handy? Again, ground level aint nothing to write home about, but get into the air and this game soars.

Gotta get some more screenshots posted. I have quite a growing collection.

Excess

As good as NY looks, their photogrammetry is NOT good enough
I wanted to make this comment, but I felt like I was being too harsh on things you'd only notice if you know the city well. NYC is completely missing some of its newest towers, especially the Hudson Yards buildings which were finished about three years ago. Also, the GW bridge needs some work. You can't even fly under it because it's a solid object underneath. Granted, the thought of being able to traverse the world map in real-time only twelve months ago was absolutely a revolution, so these are the things you begin to notice when you become a bit jaded about such an experience.

Hudson Yards Added with Mods (Missing):
cXKW6Omo.jpg

George Washington Bridge solid underneath.
aUElTi0A.png

Jebron

Never played a flight sim game before, just downloaded this on my Series X. Are most people that play this game generally okay with the 30fps? I can't stand the choppy menu's and the jittery viewpoint aiming/looking. I'm curious why there's no 1440p/60fps mode instead of only 4k/30fps, it's a huge turn-off honestly.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I wanted to make this comment, but I felt like I was being too harsh on things you'd only notice if you know the city well. NYC is completely missing some of its newest towers, especially the Hudson Yards buildings which were finished about three years ago. Also, the GW bridge needs some work. You can't even fly under it because it's a solid object underneath. Granted, the thought of being able to traverse the world map in real-time only twelve months ago was absolutely a revolution, so these are the things you begin to notice when you become a bit jaded about such an experience.

Hudson Yards Added with Mods (Missing):

George Washington Bridge solid underneath.
Sure. Constructive criticism isn't exactly a new concept :) Everything is relative. What we have now has never been done in this scale, ever, it's almost like magic when it comes together. MSFS2020 is an amazing fusion and display of technology. But there's nothing wrong in wishing for more and to discuss it without bad faith.

Never played a flight sim game before, just downloaded this on my Series X. Are most people that play this game generally okay with the 30fps? I can't stand the choppy menu's and the jittery viewpoint aiming/looking. I'm curious why there's no 1440p/60fps mode instead of only 4k/30fps, it's a huge turn-off honestly.

Asobo had to make some decisions that probably refers to traditional flight simmers tending to be more willing to trade framerate for simulation complexity and visual clarity, because in most cases that's more important to them. MOREOVER, IIRC an Asobo engineer recently explained in an interview that it's easier for them to ensure a minimum 30fps at 4K than to ensure minimum 60fps at 1440p due to the complexity of the simulation.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Shmunter Shmunter Have you considered getting a cheap Gamepass sub? With that you could try the game yourself, you will either understand why people like the game even with some flaws or you’ll know that it’s not for you.
Just start at your local airport and take off, within 30 minutes you’ll know if it’s your type of game. Guaranteed.

It’s a completely unique experience. Can’t really be compared to normal games. There is no story, no main quest, no drama, it’s just you, a plane and the planet. You can just fool around flying under bridges and check out your house and all your friends houses or do so some chill sightseeing around the globe. And there are quite difficult flying tasks as well with scores etc if you want that.

I haven’t played a flight sim since the 80s on the Amiga, I’m a total noob, but I’m at the point where I’m seriously considering investing in a $100+ flight stick. I’m just worried that I might lose the interest in a month or so. But if I would rate this game today I’d give it a solid 9 without hesitation. It’s great!
Once the Top Gun expansion drops I think I could go even higher if 30fps isn’t getting in the way of faster speeds, we’ll see, and I hope they’re giving me some targets to hunt and destroy.

Shmunter

Shmunter Shmunter Have you considered getting a cheap Gamepass sub? With that you could try the game yourself, you will either understand why people like the game even with some flaws or you’ll know that it’s not for you.
Just start at your local airport and take off, within 30 minutes you’ll know if it’s your type of game. Guaranteed.

It’s a completely unique experience. Can’t really be compared to normal games. There is no story, no main quest, no drama, it’s just you, a plane and the planet. You can just fool around flying under bridges and check out your house and all your friends houses or do so some chill sightseeing around the globe. And there are quite difficult flying tasks as well with scores etc if you want that.

I haven’t played a flight sim since the 80s on the Amiga, I’m a total noob, but I’m at the point where I’m seriously considering investing in a $100+ flight stick. I’m just worried that I might lose the interest in a month or so. But if I would rate this game today I’d give it a solid 9 without hesitation. It’s great!
Once the Top Gun expansion drops I think I could go even higher if 30fps isn’t getting in the way of faster speeds, we’ll see, and I hope they’re giving me some targets to hunt and destroy.

That’s been the allure on the i7 2070, but I would need an XsX to properly appreciate it personally. Maybe one day.

Stuart360

I wasnt going to reply to the downplaying trolls but they have to remember this game is a 10 year work in progress.
The game has the entire world, literally. Its impossible to expect 100% accuracy, you just cant. Some areas are more accurate that others, namely areas of the world (like the US) where its expected more people will be flying around.
The devs have already improved the game so much, and will keep doing it over the next 8 or 9 years.
Somone posted a picture of Mount St.Helens on a previous page, and it looks stunning, but you should of seen what it looked like at launch when i went looking for Mount St.Helens, it looked awful.
I have seen so many improvements just in the year or so since release, and it will keep getting better.

Trolls can search out as many imperfections as they want, but its the nature of having the entire planet, and the tech needed to do that, and there will always be little imperfctions here and there, even after the 10 year plan has ended.
There is no other way of recreating the entirenplanet Earth like this.

So troll away but imo you're only trolling yuorself really.

Dural

I'm hoping they do an update to the big theme parks around the world, Disneyland looks pretty good during the day but horrible at night. Disney World and the rest of the parks in Orlando didn't look good at all, same with Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain.

I'm hoping they do an update to the big theme parks around the world, Disneyland looks pretty good during the day but horrible at night. Disney World and the rest of the parks in Orlando didn't look good at all, same with Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain.

The devs have said the sim will be an ever evolving work in progress for 10 years, so chances are good that those theme parks, especially those in world class cities (not sure Orlando qualifies, no offence), will get some attention.

I suspect that the next big iteration/rework of Flight Sim will likely see a big jump in fidelity and accuracy closer to the ground. This will require a pretty big jump in the data streaming pipeline, but MS seem like they are at the forefront of this.

I’m away at my cabin for a few weeks, which means Xbox One X and no Flight Sim. Can already feel the withdrawal.

l2ounD

What I don’t get tho is, Apple, Google and I assume bing, has all the satellite photogrammetry which should allow close to 100% accuracy surely.

Random Apple maps capture of Sydney….is it not better?

I was interested in flight sim, but not so much now. Probably because the chill virtual tourism was the hook for me, not so much the intricacies of flying aircraft….

While it probably isnt going to be as detailed as those other satellite photogrammetry cities and some areas are based on older satellite images what MFS offers is a fun experience even without the flight sim stuff. You can drone around the city and see the sunset, have a glimpse of what the city could look like at night with the lights on. Not to mention the weather fx with cloudy storms. I love exploring google earth but getting to do that with a plane is really fun, the details while not as accurate as other data is still pretty cool.

Yeah I guess.. But at the same time quality aircraft and airports in the marketplace are often intricate and big projects. A single study level DLC aircraft can in some instances be even more complex to make than an entire game, and take as much time to develop. The amount of customized code and aircraft, avionics and physics knowledge .. It takes people and money to make this stuff..

I fly VR, but your question is a bit too general, what do you want to know?
how to i get the game inside of my quest headset thus allowing me to play in VR

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Really getting into MSFS now but still only scratching the surface.

Now I’ve got over the initial excitement of checking out discovery tours and landmarks I’ve made a start on the Alaska bush trip. I’m only 4 legs through but wow. The feeling of isolation in remote and stunning scenery is amazing. Successfully making your way across the landscape by VFR navigation is really satisfying too. Love it. I envy those with a top end PC and VR headset.

It’s not without issues though. I’ve come across a few bugs on the XSX that have really pissed me off and resulted in me deleting and reinstalling. Some of the training missions periodically refuse to work and if you crash in a bush trip it’ll respawn you where you landed, sometimes upside down and/or in a bush. Really frustrating what’s an otherwise transcending experience.

Genx3

So I must admit, have been intrigued by what’s been shown and have been YouTubing a few vids. But all too often almost a ‘bait and switch’ reality strikes….

Generic buildings everywhere, stadiums turned into Gulag style apartment blocks, etc….

Are people merrily visiting locales just accepting gross inaccuracies because they don’t know any better…..thoughts?

I flew through my neighborhood and saw an exact replica of my house with my truck parked out front.

I flew through my old neighborhood and everything was exactly as I remember it.

Everything is meant to be seen from way above so when you get close you notice all the textures are low res.

Trees are generic though so I'll give you that much but structures have been spot on for me.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the trailer for a look at the Aviat Aircraft Husky A-1C, available now in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Marketplace.

The A-1C is the latest, most advanced, and most powerful iteration of Aviat's Husky line, a standout short takeoff and landing adventure aircraft.. The single-engine, tandem twin-seat A-1C is an impeccably capable machine, whether operating from a concrete runway, a sandbar with tundra tires, a lake with floats, or a glacier with skis.

Last edited:
When are they porting Flight Sim back to Bing so I can zoom around the globe with the detailed environment and graphics from Flight Sim.

Xenon

So I've been going through the activities on my series X. It's been pretty frustrating with some of the lessons just kind of hanging and doing nothing.. Right now I am trying to gently press down on the yoke for last 15 minutes =P

Fredrik

So I've been going through the activities on my series X. It's been pretty frustrating with some of the lessons just kind of hanging and doing nothing.. Right now I am trying to gently press down on the yoke for last 15 minutes =P
Had the same problem and got the advice here by S Sealord of Braavos to reboot the console, and it totally worked! Just hit the Xbox button and instead of shutting it down you choose reboot.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I cannot put the game down, I ordered a flight stick and when I can't fly real Cessna, I will fly virtual one. I am also considering buying a Oculus Quest 2 for this, wonder if VR technology is already there, when it's not going to cause me problems.

Also if you don't own the aircraft, flying is expensive, like really expensive. Especially when you do it just for fun. So this...this is cheaper.
Damn, I wish you could've recorded it. The Sully landing is so amazing to me. I live right next to the Hudson and I try to imagine seeing a fucking jetliner coming down into it. I can't fathom it.
Check this then : )

Freeman76

Still loving this game but just switched it on and all my update DLC is apparently gone. I can redownload all the world updates again, all my bush trips have dissapeared, but the filesize is the same. No idea wtf happened :(

Wonko_C

I cannot put the game down, I ordered a flight stick and when I can't fly real Cessna, I will fly virtual one. I am also considering buying a Oculus Quest 2 for this, wonder if VR technology is already there, when it's not going to cause me problems.

Also if you don't own the aircraft, flying is expensive, like really expensive. Especially when you do it just for fun. So this...this is cheaper.

I think you'd be better served with an HP Reverb G2 as it has higher resolution than the Quest 2, which according to simmers is the most important thing since more resolution = better instrument clarity, small text is actually readable, etc.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

Thanks for that video. I'm sorry for being an engineer, I realize that not many will care about this detail, but I just skimmed the video because I had already watched the "Air Crash Investigation" episode (S11E11) of the incident, and I saw that the Swede in the video was wrong about one major thing (according to ACI); When they restarted the engines they didn't flame out because there was "too much water" inside the engines, the engines flamed out because they were saturated with _fuel_ and the captain (in a very stressful situation) instead of ensuring that the fuel was drained he technically hit the ignite button too soon, something that resulted in a "hot start" which resulted in flame out.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just tried it on my PC. 3800x CPU and 3070ti graphics card, nothing fancy but omg it runs so well! I’ve heard so many mention awful performance so the latest patch DF-Alex talked about must’ve fixed a lot.

Fredrik

I hate batteries! Just played this in VR on Quest 2 via vrdesktop. Mindblowing experience! Feels like you’re there! Maybe even too much cause I felt some flight sickness start kicking in lol. Then the batteries died…

I’m using a controller, works well enough, but I’m considering buying a flightstick. How is it, are flight sticks preset with keybindings for not using keyboard and mouse? Or do I have to blindly fiddle on the keyboard when I’m in the VR headset?

nemiroff

Gold Member
I hate batteries! Just played this in VR on Quest 2 via vrdesktop. Mindblowing experience! Feels like you’re there! Maybe even too much cause I felt some flight sickness start kicking in lol. Then the batteries died…

I’m using a controller, works well enough, but I’m considering buying a flightstick. How is it, are flight sticks preset with keybindings for not using keyboard and mouse? Or do I have to blindly fiddle on the keyboard when I’m in the VR headset?

Most officially supported ones comes configured I think, and all of them can be remapped manually.

Peripherals compatibility – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

I have the Honeycomb yoke, and the Logitech x52 Pro HOTAS btw. I only use the Honeycomb for MSFS2020, the HOTAS I use for DCS..

Edit: In other news: Hotfix #2 for Sim Update 5 was released last night.

Last edited:

Xenon

Loving this game so far. I ended up getting the Thrustmaster Hotas for the Xbox. I can't imagine playing it with a standard controller. Here is a video about some Adjustments made to make it feel a little better. There is another video where the guy shows you how to free look with the hat as well.

Fredrik

Thanks! I’ve played quite a bit now in VR and it’s really something else, the immersion is good enough that I’ve felt some flight sickness kicking in when I turn lol. But I still want a flight stick to get the compete package. I’ll look into those you talk about. Currently I’m using 360 pad then you don’t get all controls, for some reason I need to hit tab to get the overlay menu and I can’t remap anything to L3/R3.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Microsoft: "Here's the entire world for you to explore in 3D. We've painfully recreated many of the biggest cities in the world in super high detail, and we'll continue doing so all around the globe for the foreseeable future"

GAF: "Ugh my back shed in bumfuck idaho is missing my new lamp shade, what is this garbage? Why can't I read the street number on my fence? Horizon Zero Dawn is open world and looks so much better"

thisisneogaf.gif

When my new PC arrives i will play Flight Sim 2020 again. Will check out Mountain Tianzi who looks like this, curious how it's represented in the game.

Asia-China-Zhangjiajie-Wulingyuan-Scenic-Area-2-1024x768-1.jpg
I went and checked the custom crafted Points of Interest for China and didn’t see Tianzi Mountain on the list…so it may not look as good as you might want. But going by how amazing a landscape that is, I’d be surprised if Asobo doesn’t add it in the future.

MrFunSocks

Banned
When my new PC arrives i will play Flight Sim 2020 again. Will check out Mountain Tianzi who looks like this, curious how it's represented in the game.

Asia-China-Zhangjiajie-Wulingyuan-Scenic-Area-2-1024x768-1.jpg
Nothing there at all from what I can see. Very hard to find anything in china in the game from my quick look (click through to imgur, there's a video in there as well):

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So do the DLC planes (spitfire) have unlimited fuel that you can toggle on? Just curious before I buy it.
I don't have any DLC planes but there are dozens of assists you can apply in general in the options. One of these is unlimited fuel. You can also set your fuel level before you take off.

M1chl

I think you'd be better served with an HP Reverb G2 as it has higher resolution than the Quest 2, which according to simmers is the most important thing since more resolution = better instrument clarity, small text is actually readable, etc.

Oh okay, res definitely needs to be high priority, how about dioptric correction? I have -1.5, can I use it normally? I have glasses for 2 years and I have to say they are fucking obnoxious. And I don't want a contacts, it's not recommended for transplant patients.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Word of advice regarding acclimating to a new peripheral in VR - it's difficult. Best thing I can tell you is to play it in pancake mode for a dozen hours with the HOTAS and work out your bindings. Then when you put on the HMD you won't have to look at it and fiddle with bindings menus in VR. This learning curve is compounded if you're new to a game. Basically New Game+New Peripheral+VR Headset= a major learning curve. Don't learn both at once.

Regarding fiddling with the KB/M in VR, it's not ideal. I can do it fairly well but it's not perfect. Ideally you have dozens of inputs on your stick and throttle which makes you use the KB less often, but HOTAS with that many inputs are expensive.

Another option is a keypad like the Corsair Orbweaver. Much easier to navigate blind.

Good luck!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Oh okay, res definitely needs to be high priority, how about dioptric correction? I have -1.5, can I use it normally? I have glasses for 2 years and I have to say they are fucking obnoxious. And I don't want a contacts, it's not recommended for transplant patients.

Most HMDs (including the G2, if you're interested in that one) offer removable lenses you can replace with prescription ones. No need for glasses or contacts then.

You can also wear glasses inside most HMDs with varying results. Adjustment on the Index is fantastic, adjustment on the Quests and HTC products is awful.

If you're serious about it I'd look into prescription HMD lenses.

M1chl

Most HMDs (including the G2, if you're interested in that one) offer removable lenses you can replace with prescription ones. No need for glasses or contacts then.

You can also wear glasses inside most HMDs with varying results. Adjustment on the Index is fantastic, adjustment on the Quests and HTC products is awful.

If you're serious about it I'd look into prescription HMD lenses.
I have quite a big one, because I hate that effect around corners, so for me the swapable lenses are only way to go, will look into it, thanks!

Fredrik

Word of advice regarding acclimating to a new peripheral in VR - it's difficult. Best thing I can tell you is to play it in pancake mode for a dozen hours with the HOTAS and work out your bindings. Then when you put on the HMD you won't have to look at it and fiddle with bindings menus in VR. This learning curve is compounded if you're new to a game. Basically New Game+New Peripheral+VR Headset= a major learning curve. Don't learn both at once.

Regarding fiddling with the KB/M in VR, it's not ideal. I can do it fairly well but it's not perfect. Ideally you have dozens of inputs on your stick and throttle which makes you use the KB less often, but HOTAS with that many inputs are expensive.

Another option is a keypad like the Corsair Orbweaver. Much easier to navigate blind.

Good luck!
Good advice you’re right, didn’t think about that. I’ve just used a controller in VR so far and then I never have to look at buttons. Had to reach up to the keyboard for tab and space though, instantly more complicated.

Fredrik

I’m using the distancer for Quest 2 to fit glasses inside. It works well enough.
One big problem though. I have progressive glasses, different correction for short and far distances, and it’s really not ideal for VR. In short the screen is only sharp if I look straight ahead, gets blurry outside of the center. So I’m using non-progressive glasses instead, just bought some cheap $10 glasses that I only use for VR. Not perfect enough to have to worry about screen resolution but good enough for VR to be awesome.

Top Bottom