• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Got Outbid Twice Before Finally Acquiring Blizzard

Don Carlo

Via: https://tech4gamers.com/xbox-blizzard-before-activision/

Tech4Gamers: It seems like this deal was a long-time goal for Xbox. In the most recent Xbox Era Podcast, we learned that Microsoft tried to buy Blizzard almost two decades ago. Episode 105 of the Podcast featured an Xbox veteran, Ed Fries. The information comes courtesy of Ed's answer to a question on the Podcast.

As the video shows, Ed was asked about an acquisition he had wanted to do. Interestingly, one of the studios he named was "Blizzard." He said,

I TRIED REALLY HARD TO BUY BLIZZARD. I WAS A HUGE BLIZZARD FAN. IF YOU THINK ABOUT THE ROOTS OF OUR PC GAMING BUSINESS, IT WAS REAL-TIME STRATEGY. WARCRAFT OF COURSE, WAS THEIR BIGGEST PRODUCT.

"THEY GOT ACQUIRED VERY VERY EARLY IN THEIR HISTORY, BY THIS COMPANY CALLED DAVIDSON. THEY WERE ALWAYS PART OF THIS BIGGER ORGANIZATION. WHAT HAPPENED WAS, THEIR PARENT ORGANIZATION PUT THEM UP FOR SALE ONCE IN THE 90S. I TRIED TO BUY THEM, AND I GOT OUTBID BY A COMPANY CALLED SENDIN CUC WHICH RUNS A TIMESHARE CAMPING BUSINESS."
However, it seems like this deal was a long time goal for Xbox. In the most recent Xbox Era Podcast, we learned that Microsoft tried to buy Blizzard almost two decades ago. Episode 105 of the Podcast featured an Xbox veteran, Ed Fries. Ed is one of the most prominent figures on the Xbox team. He led the team that made the original Xbox in the late 1990s, and he also played an important role in the acquisition of developers like Bungie and Rare.
"THEY WERE PART OF THAT FOR A WHILE AND THEN THERE WERE A BUNCH OF ISSUES AND THE WHOLE COMPANY FELL APART, THEN BLIZZARD GETS PUT UP FOR SALE A SECOND TIME. AND I BID AGAIN, AND THIS TIME I GET OUTBID BY A FRENCH WATER UTILITY.'

It should also be noted that this was before Blizzard became the big name that it is today. Ed explained that prior to Activision's buyout, Blizzard was sold three times. Once they developed World Of Warcraft, it became impossible to buy the company.

It is certainly interesting to learn about the past of gaming companies like Xbox. Perhaps, even back then, acquisitions were something that Microsoft would resort to as a newcomer to the industry. Currently, Microsoft is only moments away from buying Activision Blizzard. While the deal has been subject to attention from concerned authorities because of the $68.7 Billion sums, it is clear that Xbox has no intentions of stepping down.

Chukhopops

Your argument is a bit strange, 20 years ago MS had already published Age of Empires (1997) and Age of Empires 2 (1999) as well as a ton of other games like Flight Sim, Midtown/Motocross Madness, they were not a newcomer in the PC games industry.

Blizzard back then was a PC only developer so it would have made sense for MS to purchase them, but not for the Xbox activity I think.

Max_Po

Banned
I got wiped out my copy of Midtown Madness 3... its super amazing ...

I hope MS bring the series back...same for motorcross. I played in in 99 ony pc .....amazing graphics back thenn ..we were dort poor and out cousin gave us an old genesis

Imagine as a kid going from 2d to Motorcross

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think it's a safe bet Acti/Bliz sale wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for their legal troubles. MS capitalized on it and laid down an offer and they accepted.

Top Bottom