• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has a commanding lead in the “Netflix for Games” race

Chukhopops

Ampere also predicts PS5 to outsell Series 2-1 in 22’.

Either way, it doesn’t disprove what has been said.
You’re beyond hope if you don’t understand the difference between market research, looking at existing data, and predictions.

But no matter the amount of data you’ll never be convinced since you have 0 data to begin with. And of course it disproves it unless you can reconcile:

- GP has seven times the subs;
- GP has nine times the revenue;
- the revenue per user for GP is lower.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You’re beyond hope if you don’t understand the difference between market research, looking at existing data, and predictions.

But no matter the amount of data you’ll never be convinced since you have 0 data to begin with. And of course it disproves it unless you can reconcile:

What’s the data? Tell me the overall revenue for GP. Yearly, monthly, quarterly, whatever.

oldergamer

Of course he doesn't. Its the reason i put him on ignore long ago.

kingfey

Banned
What’s the data? Tell me the overall revenue for GP. Yearly, monthly, quarterly, whatever.
You can get the data, by calculating the price of the subscription, and multiply it to the number of the subscription userbase.
You can also breakdown the tiers of the service, by calculating the average price.

There are also other factors like mtx, which we have no data on it. But those data increases the revenue of the subscription, after the initial fees.

The base Spartacus tier is supposed to be the current PS Plus, using the same name, content and pricing it has right now. No conversion needed. I remember a survey for PS Plus subscribers that asked about the reason they were paying and the top one were the monthly/PS Plus Collection games, the online one was the second.

PS has 111MAU and 47 Plus subs. Meaning slightly above 40% of their active users pay Plus. If we assume Xbox has around half of that userbase (PS4 vs XBO were basically around 2:1) and that same conversion, then we'd get around 23M Gold subs. Sounds pretty similar to the amount of GP users, add a few more from PC or mobile. I assume most Gold active subbers already migrated to GPU and that they are the big majority of the GP subbers. I think that only a small amount of active Gold subbers didn't pay the $1 to upgrade to GP and this is why MS doesn't report the amount of Gold subs anymore.

The OP doesn't say anything about Gold conversion and MS didn't provide Gold or GPU numbers so we can only speculate.
Lmao 😂 what math are you using ? You think gold subs are based on console sales? Microsoft was over 50 million gold in early 360 days there’s way more Xbox live users then that. Some are still playing on older consoles. There are literally people still logging on 360. Idk why you’d think Xbox will have less active monthly users due to console sales that’s not how that works cause users on Microsoft platform are on multiple devices with their accounts not just one console.

yurinka

He won't listen. Dude has been peddling this false narrative around here for months now. If he's not a paid shill, he should be. No logical reason for spreading the amount of fud he does unless he's being paid to do so.
Because it's different service. Just like how xbox live gold, and Nintendo online isn't on the service.
PS Plus is a game subscription. It isn't my impression, it's a fact.

Even Ampere mention its themselves in their article where they speculate about Spartacus rumors:

image.png

A game subscription means that you pay a subscription and you get some pay to play. This is what all the game subscripition have in common, the ones included in the graph and the ones missing there like PS Plus.

Obviously each subscription is different: some are download only, some are cloud only, some offer both, each has different extra perks in addition to games (online multiplayer access, discounts, exclusive dlcs, demos...), many of them differ on the platforms supported, etc. There are many differences between all of them. But the common denominator is that you pay a subscription and you get access to a collection of games (plus depending on the case additional stuff).

Lmao 😂 what math are you using ? You think gold subs are based on console sales? Microsoft was over 50 million gold in early 360 days there’s way more Xbox live users then that. Some are still playing on older consoles. There are literally people still logging on 360. Idk why you’d think Xbox will have less active monthly users due to console sales that’s not how that works cause users on Microsoft platform are on multiple devices with their accounts not just one console.
No, MS wasn't over 50M Gold in early 360 days.

MS announced 48M Xbox Live MAU in 2016, their record back then. Notice that it isn't Gold subs, which are a portion of these XBL MAU since players can use XBL on multiple consoles, PC or mobile without paying Gold. In the same way that the 47M Plus subs are a portion of the PSN 111MAU and PSN can be used in multiple consoles and the phone app. And well, Gold subs can't be bigger than XBL MAU.

4 years before discontinuing Xbox 360 (and 7 after its release), Xbox announced 50M XBL downloads, meaning Xbox Live users downloaded 50M items that could be game demos, movie trailers, Xbox Live Arcade titles, dlcs or music videos.

Last edited:
I'd like to see how Ampere got these numbers and methodology, because the graph of the OP is a joke. I have friends who published on Apple Arcade and Apple Arcade must have way bigger numbers, can't be that small. As you mention they didn't seem to count the people who has GP for free or with $1 promotions and so on.

And well, they also forget to include the game subscription which PS Plus and has 2X the subs of GP and with less free/$1 promotions.
Lol 😂 dude the numbers don’t fit your narrative so the numbers are bs?

trikster40

I think a differentiator will be the back catalog of games. If they can offer 4 generations of games + possibly 1 or 2 handheld catalogs, that’s a huge advantage.

Either way, I’ll have both.

kingfey

Banned
Not a netflix subscription. That is what you need to understand.

Ps plus is like xbox live gold and Nintendo online. They are for online purposes.
Without them, you can't access the online functionality of these systems.

Gamepass, psnow, Ea play, Uplay+ are optional services. They aren't mandatory. They are like netflix, because the choice to subscribe it is yours.

kingfey

Banned
I think a differentiator will be the back catalog of games. If they can offer 4 generations of games + possibly 1 or 2 handheld catalogs, that’s a huge advantage.

Any service that has that option, will get tons of people.

Even Ampere mention its themselves in their article where they speculate about Spartacus rumors:

image.png

A game subscription means that you pay a subscription and you get some pay to play. This is what all the game subscripition have in common, the ones included in the graph and the ones missing there like PS Plus.

Obviously each subscription is different: some are download only, some are cloud only, some offer both, each has different extra perks in addition to games (online multiplayer access, discounts, exclusive dlcs, demos...), many of them differ on the platforms supported, etc. There are many differences between all of them. But the common denominator is that you pay a subscription and you get access to a collection of games (plus depending on the case additional stuff).

No, MS wasn't over 50M Gold in early 360 days.

MS announced 48M Xbox Live MAU in 2016, their record back then. Notice that it isn't Gold subs, which are a portion of these XBL MAU since players can use XBL on multiple consoles, PC or mobile without paying Gold. In the same way that the 47M Plus subs are a portion of the PSN 111MAU and PSN can be used in multiple consoles and the phone app. And well, Gold subs can't be bigger than XBL MAU.

4 years before discontinuing Xbox 360 (and 7 after its release), Xbox announced 50M XBL downloads, meaning Xbox Live users downloaded 50M items that could be game demos, movie trailers, Xbox Live Arcade titles, dlcs or music videos.

Dude let’s not cherry pick articles because they announced over a hundred million active monthly users last year. Stop with the BS. You’re obfuscating facts to make a stupid argument.

Last edited:

yurinka

As of now they have PS2, PS3, PS4 games and (according to both Sony and Bloomberg) in the near future PS5 games.

According to Bloomberg they also plan to add PS1 and PSP game, which is in line with the original idea announced back in early 2013 when they announced their early cloud gaming service plans: to have in the future thousands of games from all PS generations playable in the cloud (even if David Perry didn't mention portables).

Dude let’s not cherry pick articles because they announced over a hundred million active monthly users last year. Stop with the BS. You’re obfuscating facts to make a stupid argument.
I'm not cherrypicking anything, I was only trying to find the original MS announcement that was similar or somewhat related to the totally wrong data you provided of a 50M Xbox Live Gold announcement around early 360 days. Just in case you had a mistake not understanding or not remembering well an old announcement instead of directly blatantly lying on purpose. These were the related 50M (or pretty close) XBL announcements, and I also mentioned you the difference between the Gold subs, XBL MAU and XBL downloads in case you didn't know them.

I didn't say the XBL MAU did stop growing back then or something like that, I mentioned that back then it was their XBL MAU record, meaning that before that point they couldn't have more than these 50M XBL MAU, and since Gold subs are a portion of the XBL MAU it's impossible that they could have achieved 50M Gold subs (active at the same time) before that.

And regarding MAUs, both XBL and PSN cover multiple generations of consoles and their mobile app. But MS also uses XBL for the Xbox store/app in Windows, so I assume that the percentage of these PSN/XBL MAUs that pay the Plus/Gold sub may be smaller on MS side because many of them will have that app launched by Windows automatically every time they boot up their PC.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I’m not claiming to know the overall revenue since it’s not in the data we know. My point (I’ll try one last time and then leave it) is:

- if there were a majority or even a significant part of GP subscribers using discounted options, the revenue ratio between GP and PSNow would be lower than the subscriber ratio;
- According to research this is not the case, in fact subscription revenue per subscriber is 20% higher for GP (based on 25M vs 3.5M);
- Therefore the long-used argument that GP subscribers are subbing because of deals / conversion / whatever discount is dead in the water. Unless somehow PSNow subs pay even less.

Also there is zero evidence or data indicating the contrary. Never has been any either, ever.

kingfey

Banned
MAUs that pay the Plus/Gold sub may be smaller on MS side because many of them will have that app launched by Windows automatically every time they boot up their PC.
Only for games. You need to create xbox live for these. The rest, they use normal windows account, which doesnt contain xbox live account.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's not a loop hole when they have a dedicated page on xbox.com guiding people how to do it.

Clearly they want people to get into the eco system by converting Gold to GPU for a cheap conversion price.

A lot of people seem to use and praise the feature. Would be a dumb ass move if they just took it off, why loose so much good will.

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

Like I linked as of Feb 2022, they have been on record saying there's no plans for a price hike any time soon.

FUD over made up scenarios is not kosher, mmkay.
Lol so you just blindly believe anything comes out of the Microsoft corprate machine 😁😁

kingfey

Banned
Have they said that?? Then I’ve missed that, that’s why I’ve assumed Spartacus is their Gamepass. If it’s not, then what is it?
Something, which grow big, due to rumors.
I am expecting alot of disappointment, or excitement when this product gets revealed.
Anyway, becareful about social media during that day. Whatever it is, it is going to be fiery discussion.

laynelane

Have they said that?? Then I’ve missed that, that’s why I’ve assumed Spartacus is their Gamepass. If it’s not, then what is it?

Jim Ryan spoke about this - said the GamePass model doesn't make sense for Sony. The article goes into further detail on his reasons. Nothing is 100% certain and it's probably best to just wait for the official announcement from Sony on Spartacus, but I was under the impression it's a rebranding of PSNow and, through the use of tiers, expanding what's available for PS+.

Hezekiah

Banned
what the fuck GIF

Why are you trying to force something that isn't there ? If/when they increase the price, we'll know, but it isn't happening any time soon.

Stop trying to manufacture things that haven't been announced.
I said they'll already have plans in place. Currently it's still in the loss leader phase. Do you really expect Spencer and his PR goons to announce that there will be significant future price increases 😁

You're so brainwashed that you expect them to keep giving people access to games for a pittance. Give your a head a wobble ffs 😄

DaGwaphics

I don't think Spartacus will ever compete with Game Pass, expecially when all Call of Duty games, Overwatch, Diablo, Spiro, Crash Bandicoot etc. Will be on Game Pass day one.

Also, All Game Pass games are playable natively on PC, and may be coming to steam.

Thus you can see why they spent big for activision even if they still release everything on PS. The content will still be quite an enhancement to GP and the Xbox ecosystem.

kingfey

Banned
That pie will look significantly different by next week this time.
Depending on how they present it.

If they break it down as tiers, then they will calculate the one that is similar to gamepass ultimate.

Adding Psnow+Ps+ just erases psnow. Since you still need the Ps+ for the online mode.

To be a netflix gaming, they will need a standalone service like gamepass, which is separate from Xbox live gold. Spartacus won't serve that option, because of the combined ps+ and psnow. And especially without increased price.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Depending on how they present it.

If they break it down as tiers, then they will calculate the one that is similar to gamepass ultimate.
Won't be calculated like this because no company shares subscriber count for different tiers. e.g., Xbox doesn't share how many people are subscribed to Gamepass and how many are subscribed to Gmaepass Ultimate. Only the total # of subscribers will be counted.
Adding Psnow+Ps+ just erases psnow. Since you still need the Ps+ for the online mode.

To be a netflix gaming, they will need a standalone service like gamepass, which is separate from Xbox live gold. Spartacus won't serve that option, because of the combined ps+ and psnow. And especially without increased price.
There is no hard-and-fast rule of what feature it can or cannot have, so this really doesn't matter either.

It'll be treated exactly the same as Gamepass when comparing subscriber count because Gamepass Ultimate also offers the XBLG online capability, so the end-result turns out to be exactly the same. PS+ will have the same thing by next week.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Won't be calculated like this because no company shares subscriber count for different tiers. e.g., Xbox doesn't share how many people are subscribed to Gamepass and how many are subscribed to Gmaepass Ultimate. Only the total # of subscribers will be counted.
Ps+ and psnow are complete different service, just like how gamepass and Xbox live gold are.
Combining them, would create a new service like gamepass ultimate, which will have its own pricing.
Combining existing ps+ userbase and psnow userbase won't give you a netflix gaming, since 1 of those services will die.
Xbox has these different services.
Xbox live gold= only online service, with some free games.
Gamepas xbox/Pc= You will need Xbox live gold to use it on xbox. Pc doesn't need it.
Gamepass ultimate = Xbox live gold+Gamepass+Xcloud. Not related to xbox live gold.

Xbox live gold is a must for xbox online games. So you will have to get that. Gamepass is optional. You can deny this.
2 complete services.

There is no hard-and-fast rule of what feature it may or may not have, so this really doesn't matter either.

It'll be treated exactly the same as Gamepass when comparing subscriber count because Gamepass Ultimate also offers the XBLG online capability, so the end-result turns out to be exactly the same. PS+ will have the same thing by next week.
Like argued in these topics, it won't be compared to gamepass, in term of numbers. Because the users aren't subscribed to that service, but the ps+.
It won't be counted as gamepass competitor. At most, it will be compared to Xbox live gold. Because they does the same thing.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
To be a netflix gaming, they will need a standalone service like gamepass, which is separate from Xbox live gold.
That's just stating 'Netflix of Gaming is what I think/say it is' (or what MS says it is) for no reason at all.
And frankly XBL as it is, has no real reason to exist anymore. But it's a major revenue stream for MS and they wouldn't want to risk nuking it until they had a solid transition plan. I'm about 98% sure GPU is a just a temporary stage on that journey.

The Sony story at the moment isn't really much different - aside for being smaller, PSNow also bundles online play and online storage for games in the service, so PSPlus 'distinct' value offer is borderline non-existent. But it also represents 95% of their sub-revenue so merging/branding changes need to be handled with care.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Provide the evidence, or stop talking out of your arse.

You are so delusional to even think that.
You post mountains of drivel like you're Michael Pachter, then talk about people's delusions lol.

It wasn't long ago you were proclaiming the death of traditional gaming because people don't have the time for it and that mobile will take it's place 😅😅

kingfey

Banned
That's just stating 'Netflix of Gaming is what I think/say it is' (or what MS says it is) for no reason at all.
And frankly XBL as it is, has no real reason to exist anymore. But it's a major revenue stream for MS and they wouldn't want to risk nuking it until they had a solid transition plan. I'm about 98% sure GPU is a just a temporary stage on that journey.

The Sony story at the moment isn't really much different - aside for being smaller, PSNow also bundles online play and online storage for games in the service, so PSPlus 'distinct' value offer is borderline non-existent. But it also represents 95% of their sub-revenue so merging/branding changes need to be handled with care.
Xbox live gold serves its purpose, which is online gaming.
Gamepass serves the netflix gaming purpose.
MS cant legally add Xbox live gold users to gamepass, as that is not the service they are paying for.
That is forcing users for a service, which they don't want to pay for.

kingfey

Banned
You post mountains of drivel like you're Michael Pachter, then talk about people's delusions lol.

It wasn't long ago you were proclaiming the death of traditional gaming because people don't have the time for it and that mobile will take it's place 😅😅
Maybe you need to look at who is the king of the gaming revenue now.
Correct answer: Mobile.

So pipe your horses down.

Hezekiah

Banned
Maybe you need to look at who is the king of the gaming revenue now.
Correct answer: Mobile.

So pipe your horses down.
I'm not being funny, but you turbo post on here like a maniac, posting all kinds of theories and nonsense.

And if anyone disagrees with something you've written you get majorly triggered 💩

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Xbox live gold serves its purpose, which is online gaming.
Gamepass serves the netflix gaming purpose.
Last I checked - GP supports online for its library as well, just like PSNow.
Literally the 'only' difference is 'GP library' vs. 'user library' - so no, Gold doesn't serve a purpose anymore (as it's always been pointed out, it was exploiting console audiences for decades).
That said - you don't just turn-off a revenue stream, and as you rightfully pointed out you can force people to upgrade it either.
That's where rebrandings and other initiatives (like GPU) come in.

MS cant legally add Xbox live gold users to gamepass, as that is not the service they are paying for.
I have no idea what you're even trying to say here.

kingfey

Banned
Last I checked - GP supports online for its library as well, just like PSNow.
Literally the 'only' difference is 'GP library' vs. 'user library' - so no, Gold doesn't serve a purpose anymore (as it's always been pointed out, it was exploiting console audiences for decades).
That said - you don't just turn-off a revenue stream, and as you rightfully pointed out you can force people to upgrade it either.
That's where rebrandings and other initiatives (like GPU) come in.
That is gamepass ultimate. Regular gamepass doesn't support the online function.

MS would have to give a reason to make people join gamepass ultimate. As they, again can't force people on a service they don't want to.
Its why xbox live gold haven't been touched.
They either have to drop the online requirement, or keep xbox live gold.

I have no idea what you're even trying to say
It means, MS cant force regular xbox live gold users to pay for gamepass ultimate.
They could be sued for unlawfully charging users, for a service they don't want to use.

Basic PS Plus is not a Netflix type service/Game Pass competitor. It doesn't have 100's of games that you play instantly when you sign up. If you told someone to sign up for PS Plus they would only see 2-3 games that can be downloaded, that is not a Netflix type experience. Like why are people still arguing. Yes it is a subscription service. No shit. But it is not a Netflix type service.

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft will let you know when GP gets close to profitable, that you can be assured.

Frankly I don't think they care if it's profitable or not as long as it boosts the stock price.
Phil said it was sustainable, which matches the growth period.

For real profit, it won't happen right now. Plus it will be stupid, if MS take those money as profit. They have to increase the offerings of the service, to make it more appealing.

Netflix managed to make itself a gaint company by doing that.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That is gamepass ultimate. Regular gamepass doesn't support the online function.
That sounds horribly broken.
I'm less surprised now there's this active warfare to talk down on PSNow, given it actually allows playing its titles online without a separate subscription.
But ok - that means PS+ is more useless than Gold is, if just by technicality of the other service being gimped on purpose.

MS would have to give a reason to make people join gamepass ultimate.
I mean, duh? I've repeatedly said that 3 times over in previous posts.

It means, MS cant force regular xbox live gold users to pay for gamepass ultimate.
They could be sued for unlawfully charging users, for a service they don't want to use.
Companies change terms on their services all the time. Including Microsoft.
Netflix has raised prices at least a dozen times by now - without offering anything to people in return. No one is suing them over it(there's nothing legally contentious about it to begin with) - but some people do unsubscribe - the option is there for a reason.
There's many examples that have added (or even removed) service features over time (with or without price changes), again - nothing you as subscriber have any control over. Companies don't sign a life-time arrangement with any of us I'm afraid.
The hard part is doing these changes without losing more subs they gain, and every company is planning their respective strategies around that.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I said they'll already have plans in place. Currently it's still in the loss leader phase. Do you really expect Spencer and his PR goons to announce that there will be significant future price increases 😁

You're so brainwashed that you expect them to keep giving people access to games for a pittance. Give your a head a wobble ffs 😄
I'm not being funny, but you turbo post on here like a maniac, posting all kinds of theories and nonsense.

And if anyone disagrees with something you've written you get majorly triggered 💩

Fuck's sake man, this is embarrassing.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That sounds horribly broken.
I'm less surprised now there's this active warfare to talk down on PSNow, given it actually allows playing its titles online without a separate subscription.
But ok - that means PS+ is more useless than Gold is, if just by technicality of the other service being gimped on purpose.
Psnow started as streaming service. Then made some ps4 dowbloadable, before fully allowing all ps4 games to be downloaded. It also didn't allow psnow games to be bought directly from the service, until they allowed it in recent updates.
As for the online function for those psnow, it was a great move by Sony. Something I wish MS would have done it.

Another interesting fact, gamepass pc and gamepass xbox are separate entity. Only ultimate combines them. While psnow for pc and console version is basically the same service.

Companies change terms on their services all the time. Including Microsoft.
Netflix has raised prices at least a dozen times by now - without offering anything to people in return. No one is suing them over it(there's nothing legally contentious about it to begin with) - but some people do unsubscribe - the option is there for a reason.
There's many examples that have added (or even removed) service features over time (with or without price changes), again - nothing you as subscriber have any control over. Companies don't sign a life-time arrangement with any of us I'm afraid.
The hard part is doing these changes without losing more subs they gain, and every company is planning their respective strategies around that.
Netflix doesn't offer 2 separate service.
It has only 1 service with tiers.

MS will need to erase xbox live gold, and make gamepass ultimate the standard.

Neither option are viable for them. Last time they tried increasing gold price, they got met with outrage. Doing that with gamepass ultimate would be met with bigger outrage.

Can MS do it? Yes. But they will have to prepare for the backlash. That what I am talking about.

Its not that easy.

DaGwaphics

You're delusional. No it won't.

IKR. GP is a rental service, PS+ is paid online. From the sounds of it, the lowest tier will still just be a paid online service. Those users won't suddenly become a different type of customer. Sony has to bring the value to make its users want to go there, as evidenced by PSNow, the option merely existing isn't enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom