• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has a commanding lead in the “Netflix for Games” race

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Another interesting fact, gamepass pc and gamepass xbox are separate entity. Only ultimate combines them.
I'm aware - it's also a bit silly, especially since GPU on PC doesn't serve any purpose, you get XBL benefits that you can't even use. I currently use GPU on PC simply because the promo price was the same as every other sub, so for the 2-3 years there was no reason not to.
But that also signals how they 'might' try to unify services down the line (they'll have the numbers on GPU converts and know when/if it's safe).

For PSNow though - I think it's a bit hard to say there's a 'PC' version since you only get cloud access. It's more like getting only XCloud out of your sub - I wonder if Sony would chance offering their PC arm into a sub eventually, they are growing a library, but they'll need a distribution system for that...

Netflix doesn't offer 2 separate service. It has only 1 service with tiers.
That's semantics - features are different, you pay different price. And they've changed what you get for the price multiple times (tiers themselves didn't even exist first, and later they would add/remove things to/from them). NF is an example of successfully doing this though - there's plenty companies that have not.
They're also getting greedy lately though - so it's unclear if they can keep pushing it.

MS will need to erase xbox live gold, and make gamepass ultimate the standard.
The obvious way would be to fold online into regular GP, and make Gold entry-level GP tier without new prices right away (offer 'Gold collection' to new Gold subs like Sony did, and grandfather the existing users so the new tier has a reason to exist) and then continue encouraging migration into higher tiers (price and feature adjustments), like every service does.
It's not rocket science - but they know their numbers, and they won't trigger this until GP itself has enough traction. But GPU 1$ conversion wouldn't exist if that wasn't the long game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom