• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Has Reportedly Made Changes To Xbox DRM To Allow Offline Play

Banned
mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

It was still DRM.

not really, it was an unnecessary compatibility check for backwards compatible games, which they now removed since most games need no update/config file to work properly

Banned
Did Xbox one Games need to be checked online to be played on Xbox one?

no, the check on SX was to look for backwards compatibility issues and to load a small patch if needed.

they said they think that this check is not needed for the majority of games so they removed it

Last edited:

Banned

so you think they are lying, while you certainly have zero evidence for that.

meanwhile the scenario you would then propose as the truth is that Microsoft implemented a DRM check ONLY for Xbox One disc games and ONLY on Series X. while Series X disc games don't have it and Xbox One games also don't have it when installing on an Xbox One.

if that makes sense to you, I have a nice little group for you you might be interested in joining, it's called Q Anon and you'd fit right in.

no, the check on SX was to look for backwards compatibility issues and to load a small patch if needed.

they said they think that this check is not needed for the majority of games so they removed it
So like we have been saying, it's not DRM, It's compatibility issues.

Banned
So like we have been saying, it's not DRM, It's compatibility issues.

it was most likely an oversight imo, and noone in the team did really care to remove the check or look if it's even needed anymore.

I bet the check was an early measure before back compat was fully finalized. they might have expected more games to have issues and need additional files to work properly.

So now pretty much the one thing that Microsoft needs to fix is having to go online for the first time after turning on the Xbox for the first time.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
so you think they are lying, while you certainly have zero evidence for that.

meanwhile the scenario you would then propose as the truth is that Microsoft implemented a DRM check ONLY for Xbox One disc games and ONLY on Series X. while Series X disc games don't have it and Xbox One games also don't have it when installing on an Xbox One.

if that makes sense to you, I have a nice little group for you you might be interested in joining, it's called Q Anon and you'd fit right in.
I think these corporations will find every little way they can have you “always online.” And that would be to add it into a “QoL” excuse.

Funny they all of a sudden don’t need it after the outcry tho.

Tea Time Drink GIF by VH1

I think these corporations will find every little way they can have you “always online.” And that would be to add it into a “QoL” excuse.

Funny they all of a sudden don’t need it after the outcry tho.

Tea Time Drink GIF by VH1

Absolutely baffling the fanboys trying desperately to dismiss the DRM issue as being DRM. No wonder MS can get away with this shit if people like they try so hard to defend/dismiss these issues.

Chukhopops

it was most likely an oversight imo, and noone in the team did really care to remove the check or look if it's even needed anymore.

I bet the check was an early measure before back compat was fully finalized. they might have expected more games to have issues and need additional files to work properly.
I mean for the issue to even occur you need quite a rare set of occurrences:
- physical game from previous gen;
- not installed already;
- no internet.
Cool that they fixed it but it must have been the bottom ticket of their support backlog.

Also what is the point of doing an online DRM check… for a physical disk? What would the server even check that the console cannot do locally?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The check was likely a legacy holdover from early XBO and Mattrick's mittens.

It's gone now, the evil is defeated.

Top Bottom