• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft introducing HDMI 2.1 120Hz VRR Xbox gaming monitors

Bartski

Gold Member

Today, for the first time, we’re announcing gaming monitors from our licensed partners will join the Designed for Xbox program! We worked closely with leading display manufacturers including Philips, ASUS, and Acer over the last two years to prepare these products to take full advantage of Xbox Series X|S and HDMI 2.1. Whether you are looking to purchase a new monitor for gaming on PC or Xbox Series X|S, our new Designed for Xbox monitors will be available this Summer.

"Designed for Xbox Displays"​

Basically, 3rd party screens "certified" to support all of the advanced features of the Xbox.

Last edited:

intbal

Seems like little more than a "Microsoft Approved" label for monitors that the companies were designing anyway.
And there's a massive gap between 28" and 43".
32" is a perfect sweet spot for feature-filled small monitor goodness.

elliot5

Nice for casuals in the market not wanting to spend a shit ton of time researching monitors that properly support 1440p 120hz on Xbox (because apparently some like Gigabyte monitors support it but have issues with Xbox?) and all that.

For the price though I feel like you'd be better off getting something like a Dell S2721DGF or an LG OLED you know

reksveks

Seems like little more than a "Microsoft Approved" label for monitors that the companies were designing anyway.
And there's a massive gap between 28" and 43".
32" is a perfect sweet spot for feature-filled small monitor goodness.
Ehh, the power of co-branding but it is good for some people and time-starved parents/relatives I guess

TLZ

Banned
Riky Riky is going to be first customer?
Friday GIF

intbal

Not the first time Microsoft has done this.
There was an RCA TV that was "Xbox Ready" some twenty years ago. Nothing special about it other than it included what RCA called a VPORT that allowed a direct connection between an Xbox and the TV. It provided a component signal, but the TV was still a run-of-the-mill 480i set. Better colors, I suppose. Definitely not worth a price premium. I have an old 27" Sanyo that did the same thing. I still use that as my OG Xbox display.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
nice, good way to see if tv has the right stuff for next gen gaming. Even my new Sony OLED doesn’t have VRR and only 120hz on one input :/

Topher

Gold Member
So these are existing monitors with Xbox branding/licensing. I actually own that Asus monitor although I got it cheap as a refurb on Amazon. Great picture.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't have a 120 fps capable TV. But I just got a 4K HDR TV and I'm not spending $1000-1600 for a new one anytime soon.

Just going to miss this feature I guess.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Good idea as it can be tricky to find the right monitor for a console.

But I’m surprised at the price of that monitor when you can get a 1440p 165Hz for €600 those days.

Rossco EZ

I’m just a casual gamer. For $1600 I’ll take a flier on build quality and picture.

If I feel I’m missing out I’ll make this the kids TV and get a better unit once devs actually use these features.
return it, amazon has the LG C1 at $1496 prime day deal

Kuranghi

You can't even get 444/RGB out of a PS5 or XSX when you output 4K120+HDR (10-bit), since they both skimped on the HDMI chipset bandwidth, PS5 moreso. So I don't think its worth bothering with until a mid-gen refresh adds full bandwidth 2.1.

I already have to do 422 when I output 4K60+HDR on my PS5 due to having only HDMI 2.0, when I upgrade to a 2.1 set I certainly wouldn't drop that lovely 444/RGB after I finally got it for 4K60+HDR output.

Obligatory request to please add 8-bit+dithering to PS5/XSX, I want HDR + 444/RGB @4K60.

Does anyone who knows about bit-depth + dithering know a reason why they can't do what Windows 10 does for HDR output? Is it very HW intensive? Most people don't even have true 10-bit panels in their sets so even if they receive a 10-bit signal it is being displayed via FRC, a sort of dithering.

You can't even get 444/RGB out of a PS5 or XSX when you output 4K120+HDR (10-bit), since they both skimped on the HDMI chipset bandwidth, PS5 moreso. So I don't think its worth bothering with until a mid-gen refresh adds full bandwidth 2.1.

I already have to do 422 when I output 4K60+HDR on my PS5 due to having only HDMI 2.0, when I upgrade to a 2.1 set I certainly wouldn't drop that lovely 444/RGB after I finally got it for 4K60+HDR output.

Obligatory request to please add 8-bit+dithering to PS5/XSX, I want HDR + 444/RGB @4K60.

Does anyone who knows about bit-depth + dithering know a reason why they can't do what Windows 10 does for HDR output? Is it very HW intensive? Most people don't even have true 10-bit panels in their sets so even if they receive a 10-bit signal it is being displayed via FRC, a sort of dithering.
Alright, so basically you're saying wait for a mid-gen console refresh to get a TV that can even take advantage of this tech? So really 2-4 years from now?

oh fair enough, well i’m sure you’ll be happy with it. sony tvs are really good for watching movies and gaming should be just fine on it.
I'm upgrading from a 2013 LED so anything at this point will be a huge shift.

Honestly I can see myself buying another one in a few years if I feel I'm missing out on some tech benefit.

Plantoid

Really nice, but not for me, i have a entry level 50" 4k LG tv... Doesn't have vrr but it's really good for under 350$

Rossco EZ

I'm upgrading from a 2013 LED so anything at this point will be a huge shift.

Honestly I can see myself buying another one in a few years if I feel I'm missing out on some tech benefit.
the difference will be insane, especially in darker scenes now you have an oled.

Kuranghi

Alright, so basically you're saying wait for a mid-gen console refresh to get a TV that can even take advantage of this tech? So really 2-4 years from now?

Some TVs you can get now have the full 48Gbps, but a lot are 40Gbps and the PS5 can output 32Gbps, while the XSX does 40Gbps. PS5 has to use 422 chroma for 4K120 & 4K120+HDR, and XSX must use 422 for 4K120+HDR10/Dolby Vision due to limitations.

I didnt think 422 was as big a deal until Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest showed how it limits the dynamic range massively in Spiderman Miles Morales in 4K60+HDR when you only have HDMI 2.0 because it has to use 422 chroma. The difference wouldn't be as noticeable on OLED due to lower peak brightness but I have a TV that goes to 1600 nits so the difference will be quite noticeable for me in terms of overall depth of the image and highlight detail.

So yeah, I think wait, I wouldn't buy a TV specifically for 4K120+HDR on consoles right now, for PC its great though if you have a 3000 series card and the TV to do it. My personal opinion ofc, most here who can do it are happy with the IQ of 4K120+HDR@422, because its far from bad I just like to wait everything to be ironed out + its specifically affects me more than OLED owners and <1000-nit peak LCD owners, which is 95% of people.

edit - Just saw you bought an A8H, coming from a 2013 LCD it will be amazing, did it arrive yet? I'd be happy to give you basic settings through PM if you like.

Last edited:
Some TVs you can get now have the full 48Gbps, but a lot are 40Gbps and the PS5 can output 32Gbps, while the XSX does 40Gbps. PS5 has to use 422 chroma for 4K120 & 4K120+HDR, and XSX must use 422 for 4K120+HDR10/Dolby Vision due to limitations.

I didnt think 422 was as big a deal until Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest showed how it limits the dynamic range massively in Spiderman Miles Morales in 4K60+HDR when you only have HDMI 2.0 because it has to use 422 chroma. The difference wouldn't be as noticeable on OLED due to lower peak brightness but I have a TV that goes to 1600 nits so the difference will be quite noticeable for me in terms of overall depth of the image and highlight detail.

So yeah, I think wait, I wouldn't buy a TV specifically for 4K120+HDR on consoles right now, for PC its great though if you have a 3000 series card and the TV to do it. My personal opinion ofc, most here who can do it are happy with the IQ of 4K120+HDR@422, because its far from bad I just like to wait everything to be ironed out + its specifically affects me more than OLED owners and <1000-nit peak LCD owners, which is 95% of people.

edit - Just saw you bought an A8H, coming from a 2013 LCD it will be amazing, did it arrive yet? I'd be happy to give you basic settings through PM if you like.

It arrives Friday. I would absolutely love some settings to get me started. Thank you for the offer.

Top Bottom