• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is starting to get me pissed (Elite Series 2)

RPS37

I really like the elite elite series 2 controller.
I have owned two so that I can switch between them whenever the batteries get low in one.
However, I’ve had to replace three of them now.
The first one had an A button that would just not register presses. The second one had stick drift. To make matters worse, it was out of warranty and I had to pay like $120 to get ms to replace it.
The third one the Y button was working intermittently.

Now I’m waiting for the third replacement and it seems to be lost in the mail. It was supposed to be 3 day select. Last scan was on December 18th and the only info I can get from the app is that it’s delayed. We’ll, obviously. Where the fuck is it??

Who do I contact and how to find it?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Contact Microsoft or the postal company.

My elite 1 was way out of warranty when the dpad right button wouldn’t register, and I just took it back to the retailer and they just replaced it on the spot with a new one. My brothers one crapped out too, again out of warranty, he just contacted MS and they replaced it for free. Same deal with his elite 2 which just had a broken shoulder button - contact MS and it’s replaced instantly.

No problems with my elite 2 yet, but I’m expecting to eventually. Doesn’t bother me though because I know it’ll get fixed/replaced for free.

Last edited:

RPS37

I feel it would be dumb to contact UPS when MS sent it, but all the support I can get from MS is shitty and automated and doesn’t understand the phrase “my replacement is LOST IN THE MAIL”

kingfey

Banned
I feel it would be dumb to contact UPS when MS sent it, but all the support I can get from MS is shitty and automated and doesn’t understand the phrase “my replacement is LOST IN THE MAIL”
1 (800) 642-7676

That is why i got, when I typed their customer service. Try that number.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah I get to be the guy to say” I haven’t had any issues with my launch elite 2!”

And I drop it all the time on a hard wood floor and it has something rattling in it now lol.

Crew511A

I've had stick drift problems nonstop with mine. I've lost track of how many controllers I've gone through. Oddly enough, the one that hasn't had a problem is the wired Power-A controller I bought last year when MS controllers were hard to find.

Amazing that the elites are no better built than the standard controller. Which are crap.

I do wish we could still buy new official wired 360 controllers for pc, hands down the best controller microsoft ever produced.

Right now Nintendo has the best recent real controller that being the switch pro… of course the joycons are poop.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I don't blame you I had 2 ver 2s that were bad.

1 had R1 issue and 1 had bad mold on A

I am on Halo Elite v2 ..which is working for now.

My Xbox Elite Series 2 had the a d-stick stop working entirely out of warranty. I tried getting it replaced three or four times via support with no luck. It was 90 days warranty when mine broke, but it looks like that changed to 1 year after I had already replaced mine. :(

Last edited:

Thief1987

Elite Series is pretty much known for being a terrible quality gamepad. My friend working at repair service and he said that amount of failures is just embarrassing for a 200$ gamepad. I don't know why you even bother, if you want advanced gamepad there are better and cheaper alternatives.

njean777

Went through 4 of them when I had them, all had "a" button issues. Decided to just get a refund and never look back. Maybe try Scuff if you want a premium controller. After going through 4 I decided to just use regular controllers and go about my life.

Wish microsoft would repair my surface laptop. It was a few months out of warranty and they wanted 700 to repair it for a known issue that they are now facing a class action lawsuit for.

I just procrastinated on returning my Elite v2 for warranty repair. I got it almost a year ago. It was defective out of the box, A-button can bottom out without triggering which just won't do, especially considering the one controller game I play is Rocket League. The web form for returning it just didn't work for me, or maybe I was using an old one, but I eventually figured it out. I've been beating up DualShock 4s with the back button attachment and that's been way better than my Elites so I don't know if I even care about getting it back.

DoomGyver

Are there any reputable shops that repair the stick drift? I have a v1 and a v2 with bad drift. My current v2 is great but its only a matter of time.

//DEVIL//

Not sure why, but for some reason I don't feel that bad for someone who has a second elite controller on hand just to have a battery charged. First world problems. Use a regular controller for now. Does this really deserve a thread?
lol. agreed.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I returned 4 elite v2 controllers
They all had issues out of the box.

Ranging from sticking buttons to drift.
Absolute wank.

Then i tried the series x gamepad.. nothing but issues on my windows pc with BT.
The older one x works fine..

It was that fucking bad i had to get an official dongle.

I straight up gave up on the elite controllers
Trash

Calverz

I was lucky to get an elite 2 controller from Santa. First thing I did was get a 3 year instant replacement policy on it 😅

Skifi28

Meanwhile I'm still using my xbox360 controller from 15 years ago and works great.
Mine just started drifting. I'm a little sad, but it's hard to complain, It was a launch controller too. I imagine we were just lucky because even back then controllers were drifting more than the Japanese on mountain roads.

Relique

Bought my first one with extended Best Buy warranty for Destiny 2 and loved it to death but it began drifting and having an unresponsive shoulder button pretty quickly which got worse over time. I got a replacement through Best Buy but the second one didn't last six months before it started having issues again (stick drift and sticky A button). Luckily at that point Microsoft announced extending their warranty. Once I got a third replacement, I realized the gig was up and if that one broke I'd have to pay full price for another. I can't just be spending that kind of money on controllers a couple of times a year for a single game. I decided to sell it while it was still unused and just got a 30 dollar power A controller with 2 back buttons and never looked back. It's lasted longer than the elite 2 so far and it does the job well enough. If it breaks it is much easier to just spend another 30 than deal with Microsoft.

I've tried a bunch of controllers and my feelings on the Elite 2 mirror many reviews in that while it's new it is the best feeling controller by far with some of the best customization, but the reliability of these things is utter shit for the price.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I learned my lesson after the original elite. lasted me 3 months....maybe? Never buying another one until the sturdiness matches the price.

I have over 2500 hours on my Elite Series 1, it had the grip peeling issue so I replaced the grips, it's been fine ever since.

I now have more hours on my Series 2 controller than the Series 1 and it still feels like a new controller to the point I'm wondering if my brother hasn't been replacing it annually.

It's bananas how much the build quality fluctuates on these things but if you get a good one it's really good.

Roufianos

I had the LB and RB buttons randomly stop registering on mine after a few months. So much for an 'elite' controller.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the things with controllers is wear and tear as its movable parts and buttons. things can go wrong unfortunately

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I actually use just a regular xbox series X and before that Xbox one X controller (and its stupid slippy bumpers) because I had 3 Elite Series 1's. All 3 broke, and after I got the second replacement I just gave up when that one also broke.

After reading reviews I saw the series 2 had the exact same issue in reviews so just made a hard NOPE! with that model as well...

I know thumbsticks these days have issue but why do the ones in a £150 controller last noticeably less time than those in a £50 one from the same company?

I get that these will slowly improve over time, but when I'm just thinking about getting one a post like this comes along to reinforce the fact that this has happened to me before and it will again.

Last edited:
I must just be lucky, or you guys must be being really harsh with your controllers but i've never had an issue with any controllers since the 360 days. I have the Elite 1, Xbox One, OG Series X and Shock Blue series X controllers and all are fine, zero issues at all.

Razvedka

Banned
My first generation Elite shit itself after like 5 months. The Elite Controllers are unfortunately not quality products, yet command a bafflingly high price. I won't be repeating my mistakes.

It's strange because it isn't like the far cheaper regular Xbox controllers implode this way.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really like the elite elite series 2 controller.
I have owned two so that I can switch between them whenever the batteries get low in one.
However, I’ve had to replace three of them now.
The first one had an A button that would just not register presses. The second one had stick drift. To make matters worse, it was out of warranty and I had to pay like $120 to get ms to replace it.
The third one the Y button was working intermittently.

Now I’m waiting for the third replacement and it seems to be lost in the mail. It was supposed to be 3 day select. Last scan was on December 18th and the only info I can get from the app is that it’s delayed. We’ll, obviously. Where the fuck is it??

Who do I contact and how to find it?

I rate Microsoft and I love the series 2 controller also, but I have to agree with you OP. It’s the worst quality controlled product I’ve ever had. I think I’ve had about 4 units in total. Same issues as you. Dodgy A,Y buttons, RB buttons multi pressing inputs.

it’s really, really annoying. Luckily I’ve had every one replaced under warranty and my current one is soldiering on but I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes faulty too.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I've got sweaty hands but I've never had sweat mold?? How is that possible? I've had gunk build up over time,I think thats just dead skin.
Yeah I was joking cause I never heard of mold on a video game controller. Maybe he has lots of condensation on his drink and it gets on the controller. Idk.

Sgt.Asher

My 360 controllers lasted the entire generation. The new controllers i had barely last 3 months, i went third party to get something that actually lasts.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just ordered my first since they are now $140. Assume that means a new one is coming soon, but could not wait any longer because of Halo. Anyway, hope I get a good one.

sainraja

Contact Microsoft or the postal company.

My elite 1 was way out of warranty when the dpad right button wouldn’t register, and I just took it back to the retailer and they just replaced it on the spot with a new one. My brothers one crapped out too, again out of warranty, he just contacted MS and they replaced it for free. Same deal with his elite 2 which just had a broken shoulder button - contact MS and it’s replaced instantly.

No problems with my elite 2 yet, but I’m expecting to eventually. Doesn’t bother me though because I know it’ll get fixed/replaced for free.

Lol. No it's not free and currently if you go through their online system it does not even let you select the controller itself as having the issue.

Top Bottom