• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft job posts: Xbox industrial designer for next gen + software engineer

SZips

I can't tell if people are legitimately shocked at this news about planning for a new console or if many of you are just feigning shock. Planning for the Xbox One and PS4 undoubtedly began shortly after the launches of the Xbox 360 and PS3. This is probably no different.

Can't wait for the Xbox One slim. It is literally the only console I care about getting a slim version this gen at this point. It's probably going to save me so much entertainment unit real estate and also probably allow you to change hard drives. I seriously can't see them keeping a non removable hard drive next time with how big games are and how many people it annoyed.

Ponn

Banned
I really wouldn't be surprised if both MS and Sony aren't talking or spitballing in house about successors at this point. From developer videos it always seems like a long process that most of a systems design team almost rolls right into into starting on the next one. At the very least the teams are working on HW redesigns. GAF going to read too much into this though.

Where have some of you been for the last, oh, forever? >.< Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are always working on new hardware. Always. Next gen consoles start the moment the last ones are finished, and revisions, peripherals, and experimental tech are always being looked at. They're all hiring regularly too. This is business as usual.

I really wouldn't be surprised if both MS and Sony aren't talking or spitballing in house about successors at this point. From developer videos it always seems like a long process that most of a systems design team almost rolls right into into starting on the next one. At the very least the teams are working on HW redesigns. GAF going to read too much into this though.

They are literally spitballing about it RIGHT NOW around the water cooler. It starts right after launch. They at least have notes to learn from current gen launch and beyond to focus on their next consoles. Ah, it'd be so fascinating to know.

rrs

It could lead to something related to the next Xbox, but it could be for other accessories as well for the first job. Second job could be for the Xbox One as a new, better, and faster development software.

Averon

I have no doubt Cerny is already brainstorming ideas about what the PS5 platform could be with a small team within Sony. MS is likely doing the same with the XBO successor. Given the time needed to design and test hardware, as well as making deals with hardware suppliers like AMD, you really do need to start early on R&D if you want to get your hardware out the door within a reasonable time frame.

Are there a lot of faster components for them to pick from right now? GPUs are like one generation ahead. AMD's processors haven't evolved a whole lot. Beyond 2015 designs aren't they basically guessing at this point?

jaypah

Just getting ready for their cloud-based console refresh. All going according to the leaked roadmap. No more local console, the upgrade is in the cloud. Games as a service is the end game. PS Now isn't a convenience, it's a test for the PS5. Sony is just beating MS to the punch again.

God plz let my funny cynicism be wrong!

Dire

I can't tell if people are legitimately shocked at this news about planning for a new console or if many of you are just feigning shock. Planning for the Xbox One and PS4 undoubtedly began shortly after the launches of the Xbox 360 and PS3. This is probably no different.

Undoubtedly eh? I doubt it. In fact I'm going to call bullshit.

There's a big difference between "Hey Bob, so what do you think we should do for the next console? Well uhh.. I don't know something cool. Yeah that'd be good.." and hiring and getting a team working on it as their primary purpose. On that note I strongly doubt the design position is in any way related to the XBox 720 or whatever they're going to name it, but watching the speculation run rampant is amusing.

p3tran

Banned
I'm ready to buy a next gen console next year microsoft!
just keep compatibility with xbone and you are golden

Caayn

Please make this a second 360, without the RROD and the other problems of course and full BC this time.

Novak

I'm ready to buy a next gen console next year microsoft!
just keep compatibility with xbone and you are golden

This!
Make updates like ipad/surface. New hw every 2 years with backward compatibility. And mandate that games support last 3 hw versions.

I hate this 10 year cycle bullshit and no backward compatibility.

Whoever breaks current console business model will get my money. Even Nintendo :)

But it's still profitable, afaik, that part of the company makes money, why wouldn't they be deep-rooted to that?

Pro tip: always check post history when in doubt.

AmyS

So it's looking like Nintendo could launch their next home console in either 2016 or 2017. Regardless of when their next handheld comes out (2016 ?) which although will share the same hardware architecture / OS / development structure as the handheld, will have a completely different level of power/performance given that any Nintendo console will be operating at HD resolutions, upto 1080p.

Microsoft will probably have the first console out that is a full generational leap over PS4/XBone, unless Sony decides to launch PS5 at the same time, something that's totally unknown at this point in time, being years away.

PS5 could be either 2018 or 2019.

Either way, this current console cycle will be shorter than the 7 and 8 years PS3/Xbox 360 lasted before their successors came out last fall.

Xbox 4 and PS5 will usher in the Ultra HD era.

ironcreed

Banned
So it's looking like Nintendo could launch their next home console in either 2016 or 2017. Regardless of when their next handheld comes out (2016 ?) which although will share the same hardware architecture / OS / development structure as the handheld, will have a completely different level of power/performance given that any Nintendo console will be operating at HD resolutions, upto 1080p.

Microsoft will probably have the first console out that is a full generational leap over PS4/XBone, unless Sony decides to launch PS5 at the same time, something that's totally unknown at this point in time, being years away.

PS5 could be either 2018 or 2019.

Either way, this current console cycle will be shorter than the 7 and 8 years PS3/Xbox 360 lasted before their successors came out last fall.

Xbox 4 and PS5 will usher in the Ultra HD era.

I hope Microsoft just calls their next system Xbox 4. Simple and makes sense. Too early to start thinking about that now, though.

Kaydan

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft released a new console in 3 years or so. 3 years is long enough for people to be hungry for a new console. All MS has to do is make a new Xbox with the x86 architechture (backward compatible) with crazy hardware specs and people will flock over it.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft released a new console in 3 years or so. 3 years is long enough for people to be hungry for a new console. All MS has to do is make a new Xbox with the x86 architechture (backward compatible) with crazy hardware specs and people will flock over it.

I would actually like that! I mean, when in buy a new PC, I usually put in 2000$ amd try to make it last 4 to 5 years, so around 400$ spending per year.

With the new consoles now all being x86, they should be able to keep backwards compatibility from now on pretty easily. So why not release a new console every 2 to 4 years for 500$, still plays your old games, and offers much better graphics. Hardware evolves so fast these days that by doing this we wouldn't be stuck with aging hardware for 7 years anymore!

Likely: Some exaggerated language on Microsoft's part to make the jobs sound awesome.
Reasonable: Any sort of ongoing development of current or future Microsoft hardware and software. It's quite vague. "Development tools" might just mean DX12 for all we know. Way too vague. Hardware? Look no further than the Surface to see Microsoft repackaging a form factor in a panic when it doesn't meet internal expectations.
Paranoia: Already looking to start on their next console.

Console warring viewpoint for Microsoft fans: They're already looking to the future! WAY ahead of Sony!

I don't work in the industry. But I have worked on product design, rest assured, there is already a road map for the PS5.

Undoubtedly eh? I doubt it. In fact I'm going to call bullshit.

There's a big difference between "Hey Bob, so what do you think we should do for the next console? Well uhh.. I don't know something cool. Yeah that'd be good.." and hiring and getting a team working on it as their primary purpose. On that note I strongly doubt the design position is in any way related to the XBox 720 or whatever they're going to name it, but watching the speculation run rampant is amusing.

Have you paid attention when any previous generation of consoles launched?

The first thing a company does is a postmortem to see what can be improved. Then, the first steps of designing a new console begin. Forming a team, hiring, etc.

This particular job listing doesn't have to be for next-gen consoles for us to know they're working on one.

Haven't we been through enough console cycles now for people to remember things like, "We started working on the 360 shortly after the Xbox launched."

Just because Microsoft or Nintendo or Sony had to go into damage control and spin mode because of some issue doesn't mean that they don't recognize the problems we see in their consoles. It's PR's job to minimize the impact.

Are there a lot of faster components for them to pick from right now? GPUs are like one generation ahead. AMD's processors haven't evolved a whole lot. Beyond 2015 designs aren't they basically guessing at this point?

There don't have to be faster components on the market for the console manufacturers to begin working on the next consoles. Intel, AMD, IBM, Nvidia, and ARM plan and prototype their components several years in advance. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have the ability to "access" these components ahead of their broader release to the market.

As we saw this cycle, the consoles they release are one or two releases behind the latest GPUs on the market. However, the console manufacturers had performance targets that they planned for (years in advance) when they started designing their new consoles. They try to find a balance between manufacturing cost and performance.

Dire

Have you paid attention when any previous generation of consoles launched?

The first thing a company does is a postmortem to see what can be improved. Then, the first steps of designing a new console begin. Forming a team, hiring, etc.

This particular job listing doesn't have to be for next-gen consoles for us to know they're working on one.

Haven't we been through enough console cycles now for people to remember things like, "We started working on the 360 shortly after the Xbox launched."

Just because Microsoft or Nintendo or Sony had to go into damage control and spin mode because of some issue doesn't mean that they don't recognize the problems we see in their consoles. It's PR's job to minimize the impact.

There don't have to be faster components on the market for the console manufacturers to begin working on the next consoles. Intel, AMD, IBM, Nvidia, and ARM plan and prototype their components several years in advance. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have the ability to "access" these components ahead of their broader release to the market.

As we saw this cycle, the consoles they release are one or two releases behind the latest GPUs on the market. However, the console manufacturers had performance targets that they planned for (years in advance) when they started designing their new consoles. They try to find a balance between manufacturing cost and performance.

We're not talking about last gen. It's irrelevant, except for one point I'll get to in a minute. Microsoft, for instance, designed the 360 graphics chip in house. That's an enormous and arguably absurd undertaking. Something they learned was probably not such a smart idea. The PS3 I think goes without saying. The reason last gen is relevant is that you were wrong on consoles having low end performance targets. That's something exclusively restricted to this gen. In fact what you get this gen with consoles is moderately customized low to mid spec PC hardware that was contracted out to third parties paired up with OS software from both companies that screamed anything except years of refinement.

And since pictures are pretty:

JjEluV4.jpg

Note the scale of the y axis on that graph as well.

And I suppose for icing:

"Cerny: The time frame when we were designing [PS4] features was 2009, 2010..."

They were just getting into the design for PS4 3-4 years after the PS3 launched.

Dipz

Banned
Next gen happens in 5 years, calling it now.

Not expecting significant architecture changes from Sony or MS, just raw power increases, with complete backward compatibility now that they're on the x86 bandwagon.

Not expecting significant architecture changes from Sony or MS, just raw power increases, with complete backward compatibility now that they're on the x86 bandwagon.
It will be mighty interesting if things carry on how they are now, market share wise.

It will mean Microsoft will want to be quick to launch a new console and reclaim the lost ground, but Sony will want it to play out longer thanks to their dominant position.

Could MS even do to Xbox One what they did to Xbox 1 and bring out another console in just 4 years?

I think it is in the realms of possibility if they keep to x86, as you say. Full BC, meaning it will make transition much more smoother for all parties involved.

AmyS

I believe the same thing. Beefier and faster X86 CPU cores coupled with future Radeon-derived graphics.

I'm thinking that the one major architectural addition that could be made to both of the next consoles may be stacked DRAM using Through-Silicon Via tech.

Both Nvidia (w/ Pascal & Volta) and AMD have big plans for this.

The main benefit of course, is for much higher memory bandwidth, without all the headaches of EDRAM or ESRAM. If PC GPUs get stacked DRAM during 2016-2017, then I would think consoles could have it by 2018-2019.

I'd imagine this would be important for 4K Ultra HD resolution and would, naturally, still help with 1080p HD, or any resolution.

It's really a question of how much more performance, RAM and storage can be delivered, beyond PS4 / XBone, in consoles that should not retail for more than $399, late in this decade. Given that the PS4 launch and price point is now the new gold standard.

Top Bottom