• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Patent Shows Xbox Controller with LCD Display

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The patent filed by Microsoft shows the LCD screen only as a means to tell players if they have successfully paired their Xbox controllers with a device. Of course, the screen could also be used for other purposes, perhaps similar to how PlayStation controllers utilize the touchpad. The new design still incorporates the Xbox button, along with the traditional pause and menu buttons, all of which have been moved down between the control sticks. The screen will be small, incorporated into the controller without adding to the traditional frame.

xbox-controller-patent.png
xbox-controller-screen.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
ah what a joke
thought it was gonna be something more beneficial but it's just for showing connected controllers. so much more you could do with a screen on a controller like extra context sensitive inputs or inventory screens
Interesting, but I can't think of any info you would put on the controller screen that wouldn't be better served on the main screen.

Seems detracting.
screens on a controller could be really useful for inventory management in RPG/adventure games, the Zelda HD ports on Wii U used this to its greatest extent and it actually felt great. same for a lot of games on DS/3DS like the Castlevania metroidvanias

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sad to see so many l very closed minded people, there could be actual useful applications for this. I'm not sure what they are yet but doesn't mean they are all bad.
Couch coop sports games picking your plays is the only one I can think of where it won't hinder the immersion. Other than that, tiny screens taking you away from the action on the main screen seems counter intuitive.

Jackbox and other party games don't need this when you just sync up your cell phones.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Couch coop sports games picking your plays is the only one I can think of where it won't hinder the immersion. Other than that, tiny screens taking you away from the action on the main screen seems counter intuitive.

Jackbox and other party games don't need this when you just sync up your cell phones.

Ok, I brainstormed some ideas, some ok, some bad, also depends on if it's a touch screen

- Thinking if you wanted, you could have emails or notifications sent to it (you may hate this but some people would like it)
- Could give you in game hints if you wanted, tips and tricks
- Could offer you live sports scores if that's your thing
- A new ticker, or latest video game news
- Could give you status of the game performance, FPS, etc.
- Shows you which player has which controller
- Could show you quick settings like sound modes
- Could show you menu for controller quick profile changes

coffinbirth

Sayonara battery life!
But seriously, I've been wanting this as a feature on controller since the demise of Dreamcast, though admittedly, it made more sense in the time of local multiplayer. Would be useful for messaging and Discord and stuff too, I imagine. Relegate achievement pops to the controller? Party controls, muting, etc. And that all goes without mentioning the possibilities for PC use.
Count me in!

Rockman33

Interesting, but I can't think of any info you would put on the controller screen that wouldn't be better served on the main screen.

Seems detracting.
Picking your play in Madden during couch coop. Back in the day Dreamcast had that and I thought it was a amazing idea. Can’t really think of much else though. Maybe battery?

It was the least useful feature of the Dreamcast controller.

It's about as useful as the second screen on the Wii U and maybe a bit more than the pad on the ps4/5 controller (not much).

Maybe it will show animations, or have icons related to the game being played like the Dreamcast screen.

Granted, that also had the added benefit of being able to play mini-games, take it out, and serve double as a memory card.

Roberts

Ugh, by moving Xbox button all the way down, something really gets screwed up in the process. Just like with Dude’s rug, it really tied the room together.

Duchess

I feel that something like this would get about as much attention as the touchpad on the DualShock 4 and Dualsense :|

reinking

Gold Member
It looks to me like the bigger story is they are designing a controller that pairs with multiple devices.

gothmog

Gold Member
My Dreamcast had that and I could even take the screen with me in my pocket.

Maybe they will call this the Series DS?

Would be nice on a new Elite to be able to show what game profile is currently loaded. I have a different profile for each game I play and having to open the ap to change profiles is not exactly difficult but being able to do it on the controller would be nice.

Rambone

Now you can personalize your xbox controller with dicker doodles, logo's and status updates. I can see it now. When are they getting Dual Sense features?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This isn't the same thing at all, it's a tiny screen for info or auxiliary control or 2 vs a full on handheld tablet.
I know, if they didn't manage to come up with something great with the WiiU when they had a whole screen to use, why would this be likely to?

Top Bottom