• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Patent Shows Xbox Controller with LCD Display

Your controller has a camera aimed at your crouch that feeds directly to your enemy's controller screen. Halo teabagging just got real baby!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I know, if they didn't manage to come up with something great with the WiiU when they had a whole screen to use, why would this be likely to?

Because it doesn't become the identity of an underpowered console, it's just an auxiliary bonus feature. Just like extra buttons on a pro controller. This might in fact be a feature planned only for the elite 3.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
No thanks. An unnecessary add on that serves little purpose except for draining the battery.

Be great if it was implemented into games. They always say some shit like its possible, but no dev ever utilizes it to an interesting degree, if at all.

ahtlas7

History repeats itself…

1200px-Sega-Dreamcast-Controller-wVMU-FL.png
Uhhh, this path didn’t end well for Sega.

MarkMe2525

I imagine a scenario where most of the functionality will be aesthetic, but it still selling decently. There is a market for it if it looks cool enough.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Because it doesn't become the identity of an underpowered console, it's just an auxiliary bonus feature. Just like extra buttons on a pro controller. This might in fact be a feature planned only for the elite 3.
Ok, well, let's wait and see! :messenger_smiling:

Drew1440

Could be a good feature if it's touchscreen, games could place unique icons like Pipboy icons for fallout, or the cellphone icons in GTA V for example. Very similar to what the atari jaguar did with it's numeric pad that you could insert overlays for specific games.

I just thought of something. I would wager this is going to be primarily for cloud gaming, and they're going to copy Stadia's method of having the controller connect directly to the wifi.

The screen is there to aid in connecting to the internet. This thing IS Keystone, it would work with anything with an Edge browser or native Gamepass app.

DaGwaphics

Bigger takeaway is that it looks like they are interested in making an internet based connection to Xcloud a thing. Versus the current setup where the controller connects via the device.

Would likely help with device support for the cloud app, good BT controller support no longer needed. Not to mention lowering controller latency a bit (in comparison to the current method).

People can joke about the DC VMU all they want, but local versus play in NFL 2k was the best that ever existed with that screen. A private playbook.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’d prefer if they’d start with including gyro-support as a standard in their controllers, like everyone else, before starting to add unnecessary features.

HoofHearted

You're comparing an LCD screen with a VMU? I always stay out of these sort of discussions but that's reaching.
Not really… I’m admittedly being a bit facetious here..

On a serious note… I question the need here for the LCD anyway… Other than to raise the price of a controller … I don’t really see the point.

Last edited:
Not really… I’m admittedly being a bit facetious here..

On a serious note… I question the need here for the LCD anyway… Other than to raise the price of a controller … I don’t really see the point.
I guess that's it though. Maybe some functionality for the hearing impaired would work?

Top Bottom