• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft purchasing Activision brings up the question of what they will do with Battle.net

I would personally love if MS kept the Bnet app/framework going forward and integrated the Xbox/GamePass stuff on it, rather than the other way around.

They could rebrand it as the new Xbox app and also integrate the Bethesda launcher games over to it as well.

It would be absolutely lovely to drop those 2 launchers from the equation and consolidate the PC client landscape a bit.

What do you guys think/hope they'll do?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah, there should definitely be a merging of these platforms. B.Net is one of the less egregious ones so no issue from my perspective if it becomes the basis for everything else. The Xbox app & Gamepass apps could both use some overhauling.

elliot5

It’s definitely not going away as WoW and co rely on it. I think using it for Game Pass distribution sounds nice, but at the same time would likely be extremely complex. AFAIK Battle.Net is on either AWS or GCP and I’m not convinced Microsoft would want to shift all that bandwidth onto competing cloud services until if/when it is transitioned to Azure. Then comes the complexity with any nonsense of their CDNs work with the the launcher and windows and testing all of the game types (uwp, x86, etc) to make sure nothing has broken. Then the process of getting users to upload their packages onto Battle.net. Then reformatting the user experience front end side to handle all the games available and the cloud streaming aspect and Xbox Live integration.

Basically it sounds nice as a fix for the mess of the Xbox app integration, but would not come any time soon at all and who knows if it would actually work.

sainraja

I would personally love if MS kept the Bnet app/framework going forward and integrated the Xbox/GamePass stuff on it, rather than the other way around.

They could rebrand it as the new Xbox app and also integrate the Bethesda launcher games over to it as well.

It would be absolutely lovely to drop those 2 launchers from the equation and consolidate the PC client landscape a bit.

What do you guys think/hope they'll do?
I say they should keep using it for Blizzard games and other Activision games.

Sure it does. 😂

Not that it matters. You can consider it gone. And it'll be a good thing for another piece of Blizzard's dubious legacy to disappear.
It does...and it's actually attractive while doing so :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And no.. it's not going away LOL.. you have no idea how entrenched their online services are into their games from the application level.

Xbox pc app is shit as well. Move it all over to steam
That's the dream.

For Steam it will likely remain that the games release on Steam and require you to log into BNet app, just like Ubisoft games or EA games.

They could at least have full Steam integration like Achievements and cards and all that other stuff.

Leyasu

Banned
I feel that a unified and revamped store front will be a top priority going forward.

They will consolidate all of them to try and maximise their pc gamepass subscribers

Top Bottom