• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft really doesnt give a shit about pushing the medium forward. Their approach to winning the gen will reduce the quality of GAMES

Is Matt Damon right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll honestly never understand the mentality of people say they don’t give a shit about metacritic and media praise but then say they wouldn’t play a bunch of games they’ve enjoyed without gamepass.

Like, it very easy for me to find and play a bunch of indie games that aren’t on a service. I’ve been doing it for years on Steam, and plenty of other people do as well, which is why steam continues to be the best place for indie games not consoles. Theres like 50 indie showcases a year from all the big platform holders, along with steam next fest which gives you access to a bunch of demos.

Name one game that you thought you will not like but purchased anyways, on steam or anywhere.

And if you actually didn't liked it, you went ahead and bought a bunch more that you thought you wouldn't like them.

bender

What time is it?
I’ll honestly never understand the mentality of people say they don’t give a shit about metacritic and media praise but then say they wouldn’t play a bunch of games they’ve enjoyed without gamepass.

Like, it very easy for me to find and play a bunch of indie games that aren’t on a service. I’ve been doing it for years on Steam, and plenty of other people do as well, which is why steam continues to be the best place for indie games not consoles.-

They only reviews I watch these days are from Yahtzee and you really don't go to him to tell you if a game is good or bad. Game reviews are largely irrelevant since you can get a decent feel for what a game is by watching game play footage on YouTube, at least enough to draw interest from. To your second point, Game Pass gets a ton of games I'd put in a category called I'd like to try that but I'd probably never buy it. And more often than not, I'm happy I didn't buy those games. That puts it above other services and storefronts in my book. Now if I was paying for GPU in a traditional manner, my thoughts might change.

Last edited:
Name one game that you thought you will not like but purchased anyways, on steam or anywhere.

And if you actually didn't liked it, you went ahead and bought a bunch more that you thought you wouldn't like them.

I see a trailer for a game and decided whether or not its to my taste. Worst comes to worst I’ll refund it.

For example, i already know im buying this game when it comes out

Last edited:
They only reviews I watch these days are from Yahtzee and you really don't go to him to tell you if a game is good or bad. Game reviews are largely irrelevant since you can get a decent feel for what a game is by watching game play footage on YouTube, at least enough to draw interest from. To your second point, Game Pass gets a ton of games I'd put in a category called I'd like to try that but I'd probably never buy it. And more often than not, I'm happy I didn't buy those games. That puts it above other services and storefront in my book. Now if I was paying for GPU in a traditional manner, my thoughts might change.

Typically if I don’t think a game is worth paying for it’s probably not even worth playing. Games aren’t like tv shows or movies where I’ll put it on out of boredom and it may surprise me, it takes so much extra investment to commit to playing a game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I see a trailer for a game and decided whether or not its to my taste. Worst comes to worst I’ll refund it.

Steam had a demo for this. Can't say I'm excited any longer.

Typically if I don’t think a game is worth paying for it’s probably not even worth playing.

I think that's true the majority of the time but Game Pass turned me onto Descenders and Infernax. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I really regret buying Neon White. And as far as Steam refunds are concerned, I rarely buy games from Steam since there are usually less expensive alternatives.

Last edited:

You still buy stuff you think you will like it.

No such restrictions on gamepass. You can even play stuff you never thought you will like.

Eg High on Life, Vampire Survivors make very poor showing in trailers. Critic's don't like them either.

Still some of my favourite games of the year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

And you're missing out on the discovery and exposure aspect of things that come on game pass. High on Life, as an example, likely would not be getting half or quarter of the fan praises it's getting on GAF or elsewhere if it wasn't on game pass, even including the positive steam reviews. Go on social media and around 90% or more of the posts or tweets about the game are from people referencing about playing the game on game pass.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

And you're missing out on the discovery and exposure aspect of things that come on game pass. High on Life, as an example, likely would not be getting half or quarter of the fan praises it's getting on GAF or elsewhere if it wasn't on game pass, even including the positive steam reviews. Go on social media and around 90% or more of the posts or tweets about the game are from people referencing about playing the game on game pass.

Playing a game that went viral doesn’t really disprove my point either.

Like, it very easy for me to find and play a bunch of indie games that aren’t on a service. I’ve been doing it for years on Steam, and plenty of other people do as well, which is why steam continues to be the best place for indie games not consoles. Theres like 50 indie showcases a year from all the big platform holders, along with steam next fest which gives you access to a bunch of demos.

Its like saying, “i wouldn’t even listen to all this good music if Spotify wasn’t putting the playlist on the front page for me”. Its like, do a little leg work and support devs
A lot of it is the idea of spending $20 on a game I'm not sure if I'm going to like vs spending $15 on a dozen games that month, finding 3 I enjoy, and perhaps buying the game at a discount a few months later as it leaves GP if I really want to own it.

Gamepass costs $180 per year for a smorgasbord of gaming, the games with long tails I want to keep I buy, the one-and-dones I enjoy the devs get paid, the games I think I will like, but it turns out it's not for me I get to avoid with full knowledge of experience.

To address the Metacritic point IDGAF about Metacritic. If people whose opinions I respect recommend a game that's not on Gamepass I will do a little research to determine if I'm willing to spend the money to check the game out. If the game is on Gamepass, and looks even remotely interesting I'll check it out for shits and giggles, and I've found dozens of games that I've enjoyed that I'd have never given a second glance at if I had to pay full price to try.

akimbo009

Gold Member
You need some reality check .

VS is a nice little game
Just like into the breach, papers please, darkest dungeon, unpacking and countless other indie titles.

But you know, copium is one hell of a drug

Darkest Dungeon is brilliant too. But that's a little old. But all should know the depths of despair it brings.

linkent

Microsoft already pushed

images

Forward

Fredrik

Microsoft already pushed

images

Forward
Or held it back. With exclusivity and day 1 on GP comes hate and laughs and so-so PR on social media at launch. We don’t know how any day 1 on GP release would’ve done as a regular release. Some games are thriving from a simultaneous release, without any exclusivity, when all gaming communities come together and play something the same time.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Kinect sucked. I bought the day one bundle. It never delivered on what it promised. And Microsoft let it die a month after Xbox 1 came out. It was made in response to PlayStation eye toy and move controllers which had actually some good content. That fiasco is what turned me away from being Xbox day one consumer.
Mmm, yes and no. Kinect was pretty cool, when it worked, but it required very specific lighting conditions. Which sucked.

It was in response to the success of Wii. Eye toy was years earlier and failed to make mich of a dent. PlayStation move and Kinect was released within months of each other, so it's fairer to say both came in response to the shockinh success of the weii, than in relation to each other.

That's kinda besides the point though. Kinect was a massive success, but MS failed to build on that success. So it launched like a rocket, but quickly crashed and burned.

ByWatterson

I love Gamepass for what it is, but I'm sort of....glad? that it appears not to be growing very much. In the past I openly worried about what it could do to the industry, but now, seeing its limitations first hand, and seeing it stagnate a little while Sony and Nintendo pop out platinum hits over and over, I'm of the opinion that if it scaled to become the norm, that'd be bad.

But I don't think it will - and I did just a few months ago.

I think Sony is winning fair and square, and I'm pleased.

Thebonehead

Banned
Imagine believing what someone earns forces one to think a certain way.

Typically it does though.

Cognitive dissonance comes into play and people force the belief on themselves that what they couldn't afford wasn't as good after all, as it makes them feel more comfortable with their decision.

Imagine having to feel that way for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Just witness the High on Life threads - You get the same solitary platform owners coming in quoting metacritic scores, or saying gamepass is starved. They must really be hating the fact people are enjoying it because their brand loyalty is overriding logic showing them that it's reviewing and selling well on Steam as well.

I have all the toys - 4090/12900k PC; XSX; PS5 and Switch, and so the majority of threads these days on Gaf these days for me are shit shows, because of all the snide, single platform affording rhetoric that comes out of the jizz stain warriors. It's much more prevalent in the Xbox Game Studios threads compared to the miniscule amount of trolling that goes on in the Sony threads.

This thread is an example of a dumpster fire console war. I can understand why the mods have kept it open to stir up a bit of controversy, but I'm at a point thinking why do I bother with this place any more when this is the level of discourse.

Godot25

Banned
So much of crying with nonsensical explanation. I think that this type of thread is here every other week.

If we believe that people will flock to the platforms with best "exclusive" content (like they did with PS4), how can Microsoft win this gen without providing quality first-party content?

I love Gamepass for what it is, but I'm sort of....glad? that it appears not to be growing very much. In the past I openly worried about what it could do to the industry, but now, seeing its limitations first hand, and seeing it stagnate a little while Sony and Nintendo pop out platinum hits over and over, I'm of the opinion that if it scaled to become the norm, that'd be bad.

But I don't think it will - and I did just a few months ago.

I think Sony is winning fair and square, and I'm pleased.
Well. Growth of Game Pass is now limited because of lack of first-party content. And even then, service grew from 25 million subs to around 30 million in one year without single AAA exclusive game from Microsoft. So it's not that bad. I expect growth to be picked up once Starfield will be out. And if Microsoft manages to close Activision Blizzard we would be here for some real growth.

Also, I'm interested if that recently launched partnership with Riot Games had some impact on PC Game Pass subs. Because it's pretty clear that subs on console side of business is limited to number of consoles sold. But PC have real growth potential.

DonJorginho

Banned
All I know is this, I enjoyed starting my playthrough of GOW Ragnarok on PS5 yesterday, but I also really fucking enjoyed dicking around in High On Life later that same evening.

Gamepass isn't going to kill the industry, you're still going to get big releases through Xbox (Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Indiana Jones, Outer Worlds 2) and many more.

Xbox hasn't had the best year but this gen still hasn't really gotten started yet so there's still plenty time to cover up lost ground and build momentum.

I expect 2023 to be a year where people's fears are put to rest by seeing all three titans of the video game industry release some of their best work.

Last edited:

geary

Also, I'm interested if that recently launched partnership with Riot Games had some impact on PC Game Pass subs. Because it's pretty clear that subs on console side of business is limited to number of consoles sold. But PC have real growth potential.
The true push of gamepass will not be through partnerships or first-party games, but by making it available in many more countries, without needing to find loops (eg VPN) to have access. You guys are seeing this platform from they eye of Americans. If the service would be available as steam is, meaning almost everywhere, the subs will go through the roof.

Majukun

Indie developers and Asian developers? Not perfect, but at least they are willing to take risks and try to implement some type of creativity sometimes unlike most other AAA or major companies.
i would agree as taking more risks, but in general i don't think they are pushing the envelope that much anyway nowadays
BB says hi
wFqri4P.jpg

Trco wants a belly rub:
YqUtu77.jpg

Who would fund something like this:
KmCUtGr.jpg

YScWBYG.jpg

K3zvPon.jpg

gBE1hss.gif
E9pltDVWUAU-CWm.png

pasterpl

BB says hi
wFqri4P.jpg

Trco wants a belly rub:
YqUtu77.jpg

Who would fund something like this:
KmCUtGr.jpg

YScWBYG.jpg

K3zvPon.jpg

gBE1hss.gif
DS like most Kohima games was trash imo.
Last Guardian - it is like 2016 game right?
Dreams was released after project spark if I remember correctly.
Eye tracking with foveated rendering is available in vr devices for some time now (I think Vive eye pro had it in 2019, it was first shown in 2016 , but to know this you cannot dedicate your life to one company.

Swift_Star

Banned
DS like most Kohima games was trash imo.
Last Guardian - it is like 2016 game right?
Dreams was released after project spark if I remember correctly.
Eye tracking with foveated rendering is available in vr devices for some time now (I think Vive eye pro had it in 2019, it was first shown in 2016 , but to know this you cannot dedicate your life to one company.
Yikes

Its like saying, “i wouldn’t even listen to all this good music if Spotify wasn’t putting the playlist on the front page for me”. Its like, do a little leg work and support devs

What’s so hard to understand about that? If someone doesn’t care about reviews or media, they’ve likely never heard of most of these games they see on GamePass. It actually makes more sense for them to be playing games they otherwise wouldn’t have, if not for GamePass.

Someone like you who plays demos of games and knows of about “50 game showcases” every year, you’re not the same kind of person.

Also, GamePass eliminates the need to do “leg work”.

Also, playing the games on GamePass is supporting the devs. They aren’t in there for free.

Also, GamePass has tons of games that aren’t indies.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
TLoU2 be like, "that's cute." 🤭
If you look at the overall winners list on the left you only see a bunch of Sony, Nintendo and 3party games. It is what it is, no need to cry about it kittycat 😹

And the above comments have WHAT to do with refuting the idiotic claim Xbox has not had ANY nominations for GotY for the past 11 years? They must have had at least a few to win over 100 GotY awards last year alone.

Flutta

Banned
And the above comments have WHAT to do with refuting the idiotic claim Xbox has not had ANY nominations for GotY for the past 11 years? They must have had at least a few to win over 100 GotY awards last year alone.

Let me tell you a ”secret”, nominations don’t mean shit if you don’t ”win” in the end. That’s what i was trying to point out to you. Fighting over nominations is rather silly don’t you think?
Enjoy the few Xbox games you have and be happy 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom