• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft really doesnt give a shit about pushing the medium forward. Their approach to winning the gen will reduce the quality of GAMES

Is Matt Damon right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I could not have said better. Actually I would have use a weird barbershop analogy where traditional gaming is represented as buying quality hair clipper and cutting your own hair.

Microsoft can't sell quality hair clippers so instead they invented a store call a "barbershop" with people called barbers ( Allen greeburg, Phil) who cut your hair for you. It's now a service than a commodity.

The consumer feel like it the best thing ever ignoring the fact that they are still getting their hair cut by shitty razors.

Shitty razor = no 1st party games

Phew. No more internet for me now
i actually use barbershops, how is that worse than cutting your own hair? i'm not in it for the style, it just gets bushy after a while and i want it gone

MacReady13

You still buy stuff you think you will like it.

No such restrictions on gamepass. You can even play stuff you never thought you will like.

Eg High on Life, Vampire Survivors make very poor showing in trailers. Critic's don't like them either.

Still some of my favourite games of the year.
I don't have game pass and I purchased both games based on the fact I had heard some great things about both (listened to Sacred Symbols for High On Life as both guys love it).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Tell that to all the dead rats in my basement
artworks-000596536556-cwl06b-t500x500.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The good news is all it takes is a couple of benchmark releases and the narrative surrounding the Xbox ecosystem changes.
not really, it's less about if they have a good year and more if they can keep that streak up

2021 I would consider to be a good year for Xbox, and then they followed it up with nothing for a whole year
sony started off strong with bloodborne in 2015 and only kept adding more and more blockbuster games year after year... their studios aren't stopping at all...
And then there's Nintendo, who have never had a dry year since.... checks notes 1985.
this is what i fear for 2023, because assuming that everything goes well and Xbox gets their shit together and 2023 is the best year Xbox has seen in a while.... What's just stopping from from having a mediocre/terrible 2024? then it's back to the same old 'xbox has no games' narrative. We literally had this from 2021 to 2022. 2021 i bought a Series S because Xbox was starting to look up, 2022 the Series S is collecting dust now and i ended up buying a PC.
OFC, that's kind of unlikely seeing how a lot of Xbox's most anticipated games (besides the ones announced for 2023 of course) are going to be coming out for 2024/2025. Though seeing Xbox's current management of their studios it's also very likely that they could get delayed into 2026. :messenger_fearful:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Elden ring combat is atrocious. Stop trying to push this.
nah m8 git gud. Beat Margit the other day and its one of the most satisfying rewarding experiences ive had in a video game.
Sorry but God of War in comparison doesnt feel as good. unless we're talking the older games, now those were a blast!!!

Swift_Star

Banned
Microsoft don't get my money until I feel they deserve it, it's pretty simple really.

I'm pretty sure that's how most consumers operate, so not sure how you came to that conclusion.
They devolved to call people who don't like Xbox poor (as if the series s were expensive lol).
This is the length they go to defend their precious green box.

Swift_Star

Banned
nah m8 git gud. Beat Margit the other day and its one of the most satisfying rewarding experiences ive had in a video game.
Sorry but God of War in comparison doesnt feel as good. unless we're talking the older games, now those were a blast!!!
*Yawn*. We've moved on from this already and I beat both games. get on with the thread.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Quality costs. Be it 20 or 30 for indie or 60/70 for AAA.
true, but not everything has to be a gigantic high budget cinematic experience to be a quality game... I'd know, because Pizza Tower is coming out in a couple weeks and that game is looking to be the best 2d platformer i'll ever get my hands on.

The problem is that on this board especially if something isn't super pretty and has lots of flashy cutscenes running at 4k60 it immediately gets forgotten. The disparity between AAA and regular games is so high that the AA market is now genuinely nearly nonexistent, the closest equivalent we have being indie games being funded by AAA studios (kena, psychonauts, sifu, stray etc) and even then people just call those AAA.

Vampire Survivors got laughed at and compared to a flash game, people call everything they see in showcases 'indie trash', even the so called AAA games like Street Fighter 6 and Resident Evil 4 Remake are getting dunked on, peoples standards are becoming unreasonably high. THAT'S the stuff that's devaluing games, not gamepass. Don't get me wrong i still have my qualms with the service (i think it's causing MS to not bother to try with First party since Gamepass is what they're selling their system on) but the simple fact is that prices and budgets are soaring way too fast and people's expectations as a result are becoming so inflated, that games that try to be their own thing get drowned out (unless it's something with ungodly brand recognition like Mario or Zelda, which is why Nintendo is an exception as they always are.)

The only way these types of games even get mainstream attention or success is if they get trendy, but that has its own host of issues.

Last edited:
Series X is brilliant especially with gamepass. Then the series S was so cheap the wife decided to buy one for my daughter and one for our bedroom to play couch Co op games. It’s a great system, people seem to forget that PCs have the same issue that some are powerful beasts which can run anything at 120fps etc, while some struggle. It’s the same principle that they change the fidelity etc.

Maybe the problem is that the deal with game pass etc is so good in this time of struggling finances and with the low cost of the series S it’s making MS win market share.

Have the quality of the games dipped? No in fact they are taking more risks than previously as it’s all on game pass.

Forza H5, Flight Sim, Halo Infinte (well that wasn’t great for me), high on life to name 4 off the top of my head which have done very well critic wise

i actually use barbershops, how is that worse than cutting your own hair? i'm not in it for the style, it just gets bushy after a while and i want it gone

But in keeping with the analogy, the barbershop is advertising style (even if you aren't) in the storefront and not giving it.
Back to the OP, Microsoft says they want to push medium with no intention of producing content. ya see?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But in keeping with the analogy, the barbershop is advertising style (even if you aren't) in the storefront and not giving it.
Back to the OP, Microsoft says they want to push medium with no intention of producing content. ya see?
oh no i understand the analogy 100%, but like i don't see the issue with barbershops
i don't go there for a style, i go to get my hair cut. I'm not really the type of person skilled enough to do it myself at home.

oh no i understand the analogy 100%, but like i don't see the issue with barbershops
i don't go there for a style, i go to get my hair cut. I'm not really the type of person skilled enough to do it myself at home.

regardless of the consumer's desire, both services are advertising something they have no intention of producing as a service. they are advertising quality but only producing convenience, quantity.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What the fuck is going on in this thread anymore ..
Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping has successfully derailed the thread into a warning for all xbox owners. He is ready to exterminate the entire green rat race with only 30% of his power
if you don't speak up, he'll kill you, and every other Xbox fan you love.... Will adamsapple adamsapple be able to fight against the coming apocalypse
find out, on the next episode of
ixAOXHv.gif

Last edited:
Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping has successfully derailed the thread into a warning for all xbox owners. He is ready to exterminate the entire green rat race with only 30% of his power
if you don't speak up, he'll kill you, and every other Xbox fan you love.... Will adamsapple adamsapple be able to fight against the coming apocalypse
find out, on the next episode of
ixAOXHv.gif

I don't think i could take adamsapple adamsapple with just 30%. He's been sucking on phil's testicle for a long time. God knows how much energy he's absorbed.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yea the reason why PS5 is still under 600$ is because MS is competing, if MS didn't try you'd probably be seeing those consoles nearly 1000$ and games 100$ without subscription model, MS competing against Sony is the best thing for consumers. I mean if Sony didn't have MS competing you'd probably be seeing PS5 consoles not overclocked, heck they wouldn't be even trying to close the gap in terms of performance.
there are other companies capable of making hardware and video games as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom