• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft really doesnt give a shit about pushing the medium forward. Their approach to winning the gen will reduce the quality of GAMES

Is Matt Damon right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

What time is it?
goofy-pug.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
what has nintendo done in the past 10+ years? lmao.

all they do is release trash tier garbage ass hardware that appeals to kids.

pokemon, a shell of its former self. limiting the creativity of devs with garbage hardware. what bayonetta 3 could have been, we will never know.
Nintendo can shit out a game like Splatoon and it automatically supersedes anything that Sony can put out.

As a hyperbolic counterpoint you could say all that Sony can do (TLoU 2013 aside) is put out C tier, English GCSE level, contrived garbage plots and writing that’s rapidly followed the same downward trend that Marvel is on (that’s what you get when you target the lowest common denominator).

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Not at first, but eventually

Need i say Gamepass is always on-line gaming gamers were so aggressively against only 5 years ago?

As of now GP is pretty amazing, but it will not last more then 2-4 years before It is a tool to monopolise n turn the industry into live service nightmare that you also pay GP subscription to buy the right to pay to play.
It is only that good of a deal to get the market share big enough to have CONTROL over it all
It will not be beneficial to the gamer in the end
BUT
Not yet
As of right now n the next couple of years there is allot to enjoy bout GP

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Not at first, but eventually

Need i say Gamepass is always on-line gaming gamers were so aggressively against only 5 years ago?

As of now GP is pretty amazing, but it will not last more then 2-4 years before It is a tool to monopolise n turn the industry into live service nightmare that you also pay GP subscription to buy the right to pay to play.
Ppl were saying that 7 years ago. Still hasn't happened but I'm sure any day now.

Honestly, Microsoft never went into gaming to contribute anything to the industry, from day one they went into gaming to extend Microsoft's monopoly of all things computer/software to yet another domain. Their entire strategy has pretty much always been to throw money at the problem till they become the top dog, knowing full well eventually they would outbid and outclass their competition through sheer money, just like they keep absorbing their PC software competition and buying their companies through their PC monopoly money. It's sadly quite easy when you're one of the richest company alive to just throw money at an industry till you own it.

I'm frankly amazed that Sony and Nintendo has managed to last this long with such a behemoth trying to take over the market. Sadly I have a bad feeling for the future ,as Sony seems convince the strategy forward is to release all their exclusives on PC, hence removing the need to own a dedicated Sony console, while Nintendo is content milking Mario, Zelda and Pokemon to death till nobody wants to touch any of these franchises with a ten foot pole and they have literally given up on the hardware race. Meanwhile, Microsoft is trying to make itself essential through game pass and it's game as service model, even though it offers very little for both developers and customers in terms of actual game ownership (glorified rentals).

It's just sad because it seems after years of failing to become the top dog, MS's strategy is finally starting to pay off. They use their PC monopoly money to buy existing devs and Franchises, in effect contributing nothing new to the industry, and only depriving customers of franchises they used to have access to on their own platforms... They push for a business model where you don't even own your games, you just get them for free for X months, before they start charging you for the ability to play them, and overall it seems the only contribution they do to the game industry is to pay existing devs to NOT release games on other platforms so they gain exclusive they didn't work for... All in all that game pass model is just as bad as the neftlix or spotify model, let's just screw individuals creators and go for a system where game quality doesn't matter as long as you have free crap to play each month.

Say what you will about Sony and Nintendo, but both actually contribute to the game industry. They either produce great, ambitious first party titles or help developers produce games they might not be able to pull off otherwise, giving them alot of freedom on what game they want to make and what types of experiences they create. Microsoft , on the other hand, just gives big brown enveloppes to existing developer so they stop releasing fan-favourite franchises on the competitor's consoles, hereby contributing nothing to the gaming industry other than frustration and anger for existing fans not being able to play sequels to their favourite games on their platform of choice. All companies have their scummy business practices and things I don't approve, but it's pretty easy to see Microsoft doesn't even try to produce new IPs anymore, since it's simply easier to throw a big fat envelope of cash at a popular studio and franchise and buy it outright... Which imho is money badly spend ,as with the same cash ,they could easily fund 10+ first party studios that would actually produce true exclusives like their competition does... But hey, let's just spend billions to buy existing popular devs like Bethesda , Activision and Mojang, then force them into exclusivity deals where they can't release their IPs on the competitor's console in a couple of years... In effect contributing nothing to the game industry as you're taking existing devs with existing franchises that people of specific platforms liked and forcing them to lower their sales by not releasing their games on the platforms their fanbase is on... Just like how it was super lame when Capcom woke up one day and made Resident Evil a gamecube exclusive after years of being associated with Sony/Sega/PC, etc...

So yeah, when MS actually spends money funding new devs , creating new IPs and pushing new ideas, I might respect them as a player in the game industry, but for now , I see them as a pathogen trying to take over as much as it can of the game industry so people stop buying the competition and they can extend their rule to the entire market.

Last edited:
Gamepass is just 2.5 years old.
And allot of what people were worried 7 years ago is happening right now like wtf you talking bout

GamePass is five years old. And so far literally none of the doomsday nonsense people worried about has come true. Just like eight years ago with EA Access. Or am I mistaken and we actually are living in a world where every publisher has a subscription service where all of their games are locked unless you subscribe?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’ll honestly never understand the mentality of people say they don’t give a shit about metacritic and media praise but then say they wouldn’t play a bunch of games they’ve enjoyed without gamepass
Those two statements doesn't necessarily come from the same people.

Theres also a million of things I want to plau, but I ain't going to buy games annually for hundreds of dollars.

I mean, kudos to you to be able to buy 100 of games each year, but as someone not that privilige has to wait until they are more affordable or hit the service.

But you already knew that hopefully.

Honestly, Microsoft never went into gaming to contribute anything to the industry, from day one they went into gaming to extend Microsoft's monopoly of all things computer/software to yet another domain. Their entire strategy has pretty much always been to throw money at the problem till they become the top dog, knowing full well eventually they would outbid and outclass their competition through sheer money, just like they keep absorbing their PC software competition and buying their companies through their PC monopoly money. It's sadly quite easy when you're one of the richest company alive to just throw money at an industry till you own it.

I'm frankly amazed that Sony and Nintendo has managed to last this long with such a behemoth trying to take over the market. Sadly I have a bad feeling for the future ,as Sony seems convince the strategy forward is to release all their exclusives on PC, hence removing the need to own a dedicated Sony console, while Nintendo is content milking Mario, Zelda and Pokemon to death till nobody wants to touch any of these franchises with a ten foot pole and they have literally given up on the hardware race. Meanwhile, Microsoft is trying to make itself essential through game pass and it's game as service model, even though it offers very little for both developers and customers in terms of actual game ownership (glorified rentals).

It's just sad because it seems after years of failing to become the top dog, MS's strategy is finally starting to pay off. They use their PC monopoly money to buy existing devs and Franchises, in effect contributing nothing new to the industry, and only depriving customers of franchises they used to have access to on their own platforms... They push for a business model where you don't even own your games, you just get them for free for X months, before they start charging you for the ability to play them, and overall it seems the only contribution they do to the game industry is to pay existing devs to NOT release games on other platforms so they gain exclusive they didn't work for... All in all that game pass model is just as bad as the neftlix or spotify model, let's just screw individuals creators and go for a system where game quality doesn't matter as long as you have free crap to play each month.

Say what you will about Sony and Nintendo, but both actually contribute to the game industry. They either produce great, ambitious first party titles or help developers produce games they might not be able to pull off otherwise, giving them alot of freedom on what game they want to make and what types of experiences they create. Microsoft , on the other hand, just gives big brown enveloppes to existing developer so they stop releasing fan-favourite franchises on the competitor's consoles, hereby contributing nothing to the gaming industry other than frustration and anger for existing fans not being able to play sequels to their favourite games on their platform of choice. All companies have their scummy business practices and things I don't approve, but it's pretty easy to see Microsoft doesn't even try to produce new IPs anymore, since it's simply easier to throw a big fat envelope of cash at a popular studio and franchise and buy it outright... Which imho is money badly spend ,as with the same cash ,they could easily fund 10+ first party studios that would actually produce true exclusives like their competition does... But hey, let's just spend billions to buy existing popular devs like Bethesda , Activision and Mojang, then force them into exclusivity deals where they can't release their IPs on the competitor's console in a couple of years... In effect contributing nothing to the game industry as you're taking existing devs with existing franchises that people of specific platforms liked and forcing them to lower their sales by not releasing their games on the platforms their fanbase is on... Just like how it was super lame when Capcom woke up one day and made Resident Evil a gamecube exclusive after years of being associated with Sony/Sega/PC, etc...

So yeah, when MS actually spends money funding new devs , creating new IPs and pushing new ideas, I might respect them as a player in the game industry, but for now , I see them as a pathogen trying to take over as much as it can of the game industry so people stop buying the competition and they can extend their rule to the entire market.
I see you're a graduate from Console Warrior University, that majored in Anti-Xbox.

Pretty impressive credentials I must say. I assume this post was/is a part of your thesis or something?

PillsOff

Banned
GamePass is five years old. And so far literally none of the doomsday nonsense people worried about has come true. Just like eight years ago with EA Access. Or am I mistaken and we actually are living in a world where every publisher has a subscription service where all of their games are locked unless you subscribe?
Ok guess time flying fast
I am somehow was thinking it launched next to Series consoles
But Why would it come true in just 5 years?
They need to get the market first.
There is no controling gaming industry with 20-30 mil subs.
They need WAAAAAAY more n they ll behave like a good little boy right till they get what they need
This is a long plan.
Now we have GP that needs to take the market over, it is waaay different from GP that has the market by it's balls

Last edited:
Ok guess time flying fast
I am somehow was thinking it launched next to Series consoles
But Why would it come true in just 5 years?
They need to get the market first.
There is no controling gaming industry with 20-30 mil subs.
They need WAAAAAAY more n they ll behave like a good little boy right till they get what they need
This is a long plan.
Now we have GP that needs to take the market over, it is waaay different from GP that has the market by it's balls

MS projects GamePass to, at max, account for 10-15% of their gaming revenue. They aren’t dramatically shifting the way they make games or “taking the market over” for a revenue stream that small.

PillsOff

Banned
MS projects GamePass to, at max, account for 10-15% of their gaming revenue. They aren’t dramatically shifting the way they make games or “taking the market over” for a revenue stream that small.
Oh ... Yeah.
Cos Microsoft n telling the truth go hand by hand
Corporations in general just layin out their takeover plans ya know, cos they love FTC fucking them
They put 100 000 000 000 investment into their gaming ecosystem
Take off your pink glasses

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom