• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft removing direct Twitter sharing feature from Xbox consoles

ParaSeoul

Microsoft looks to be quietly removing the ability for Xbox users to upload gameplay clips straight from their consoles to Twitter.

Instead of going directly to Twitter, users who are testing the console's latest dashboard update must instead upload footage through the "mobile sharing" option for Xbox's Game DVR (spotted by Windows Central).

Other apps in this section include the likes of Facebook and Instagram.

This means the only option for Xbox users testing this latest console update is to upload gameplay clips to their phones first.

Then, from their phone they can go on to upload the footage to their Twitter feed.

It is unclear why Microsoft seems to be altering this feature and essentially making the process more convoluted. Windows Central has theorised it could be because of low usage, or even high Twitter fees for use of its API, but at this point it is only speculation.

Eurogamer has reached out to Microsoft for comment.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

JeffG

Microsoft looks to be quietly removing the ability for Xbox users to upload gameplay clips straight from their consoles to Twitter.

Instead of going directly to Twitter, users who are testing the console's latest dashboard update must instead upload footage through the "mobile sharing" option for Xbox's Game DVR (spotted by Windows Central).

This means the only option for Xbox users testing this latest console update is to upload gameplay clips to their phones first.

Then, from their phone they can go on to upload the footage to their Twitter feed.

It is unclear why Microsoft seems to be altering this feature and essentially making the process more convoluted. Windows Central has theorised it could be because of low usage, or even high Twitter fees for use of its API, but at this point it is only speculation.

and this was the reply to that

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Also J Jez Im sure the reason has to do with Twitter costs incurred or perhaps they don't want to work with Twitter for various reasons.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

ManaByte

These are some weird responses. Is this what console fanboyism looks like? A company removing features and yall applaud?

Sony should remove it too. Hell PS5 sharing (until this latest app update was WORSE). On the PS5 the only option to share was to Twitter or to copy it to USB. On Xbox you can share directly to Twitter, the app, or to OneDrive. PS5 fixed it by syncing shares to the app, which is all you need. Then you can download it to your phone and post it anywhere.

Plantoid

Nothingburger, share option should upload your video to the cloud so you can edit in your phone/PC better yet if they had good editing tools in-house

kingfey

Banned
These are some weird responses. Is this what console fanboyism looks like? A company removing features and yall applaud?
From customer perspective, it's shit and garbage.
From your wellbeing perspective, this is a good move.

Both shit though.

“Please keep the feedback coming”

How many times have I heard this from them. It’s why I quit the preview program, a complete waste of time.

I don’t like to say this, it feels like some of the people involved over there are clueless to making a layered , convenient console UI experience.

Even things like Themes, what’s the point if you can barely see them due to the convoluted UI layout.?

The preview program feels like a big con , they will add this back in a few months so it looks like they are doing something.

Zeroing

Banned
“Please keep the feedback coming”

How many times have I heard this from them. It’s why I quit the preview program, a complete waste of time.

I don’t like to say this, it feels like some of the people involved over there are clueless to making a layered , convenient console UI experience.

Even things like Themes, what’s the point if you can barely see them due to the convoluted UI layout.?

The preview program feels like a big con , they will add this back in a few months so it looks like they are doing something.
They have no clue, MS took chromium and managed to destroy their edge browser with ads.. then later to take them out saying it was "experimental"

Microsoft Edge is bombarding people with ads
then recently MS did this:
Microsoft says we weren’t supposed to see those ads in Windows File Explorer

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Could be it's more of a "horde our data" scenario.

Prevents twitter from (easily) discovering exactly how many users share from a particular platform. This would make ad targeting a tiny bit harder as well and could keep demographic numbers from painting any particular platform in a bad (underperforming) light.

Also: whataboutthechildren.gif

They have no clue, MS took chromium and managed to destroy their edge browser with ads.. then later to take them out saying it was "experimental"

Microsoft Edge is bombarding people with ads
then recently MS did this:
Microsoft says we weren’t supposed to see those ads in Windows File Explorer

It irks me because I thought they were so progressive with the 360 dashboards, features and updates. It was great.

Look at their Game DVR compared to Share Factory. It’s embarrassing. They do some things well but I feel it could be so much better particularly the Series X/S experience.

Zeroing

Banned
It irks me because I thought they were so progressive with the 360 dashboards, features and updates. It was great.

Look at their Game DVR compared to Share Factory. It’s embarrassing. They do some things well but I feel it could be so much better particularly the Series X/S experience.
It is and what's worse they are a software corporation. They are clueless. The 360 is so not MS that is amazing how they created it.

It is and what's worse they are a software corporation. They are clueless. The 360 is so not MS that is amazing how they created it.

Despite the RROD and HD-DVD failure, it’s still the best Xbox imo.

That dashboard they currently have, there are some cool features but it’s the layout, it’s horrible.

I know all this is not a big deal , it’s just that one of the reasons I became a Xbox fan was the features , UI experience, Xbox Live and so on and of course the games.

If you ever have time look at the Xbox insiders reddit, a ton of good people there posting feedback for years on the same things like improving achievements, home page layout and so on. Years. Still nothing:

The team no longer take the initiative in a positive sense with another example things like this today and then say “please keep giving us feedback “ . What for ? Ha ha.

They introduced Xbox Museum, a great little feature that shows your gaming history. Guess what? Browser only . Now something like that would of been a cool little addition to Series X/S UI but no.

Kdad

So does this now link your Xbox ID (I supposed its a Microsoft Live ID?) to a phone number? Thats valuable to marketers.

Excuse the ignorance of the question. I neither own a xbox, have a windows ID, nor have ever felt compelled to link my gaming consoles to a social network.

Zeroing

Banned
Despite the RROD and HD-DVD failure, it’s still the best Xbox imo.

That dashboard they currently have, there are some cool features but it’s the layout, it’s horrible.

I know all this is not a big deal , it’s just that one of the reasons I became a Xbox fan was the features , UI experience, Xbox Live and so on and of course the games.

If you ever have time look at the Xbox insiders reddit, a ton of good people there posting feedback for years on the same things like improving achievements, home page layout and so on. Years. Still nothing:

The team no longer take the initiative in a positive sense with another example things like this today and then say “please keep giving us feedback “ . What for ? Ha ha.

They introduced Xbox Museum, a great little feature that shows your gaming history. Guess what? Browser only . Now something like that would of been a cool little addition to Series X/S UI but no.
The layout was way way worse on the xbox one when it launched. One confusing and slow experience. It is more than clear they do not care.

Sony approach of redoing their OS every generation is due to linux licensing (if I am not mistaken) but they take lots and lots of feedback, they are slow to implement it but they do. Now imagine MS with their teams taking all that user input and implementing changes could make.

Beechos

This sucks even though i never used it. Microsoft is known for shit like this, they killed a couple of cool features from the xbox one too like snapping apps. What i really want is a way to read gaming lore like codexes and data pads that i normally skip while playing games on my phone or tablet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didn't even know you could directly share clips to twitter.

I've only shared an odd screen or two to twitter when I wanted to get it quick.

Otherwise I much prefer uploading to one drive so I can get the full sized image without the twitter compression.

Corndog

Banned

Dumb.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Whatever your opinion of Twitter, each shared Tweet is free advertising. Fix it quickly. Unless this is the consequence of another deal, this is a stupid proactive move.

Also Jez not being sure the PS ecosystems have sharing via Twitter. Fuck off with your damage limitations shit. Fucking clown shoes 😂😂😂😂

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Is this the part where sharing to Twitter becomes the #1 reason to own a console?
It's not and anyone saying otherwise is dense. However each time a clip is shared to Twitter it is free advertising. Throwing additional steps is stupid when it harming free advertising. It harms Xbox more than benefits anyone else.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It's not and anyone saying otherwise is dense. However each time a clip is shared to Twitter it is free advertising. Throwing additional steps is stupid when it harming free advertising. It harms Xbox more than benefits anyone else.

Bullshit. You shouldn't be forced to share your clips/screens to ANY social media. They should let you download them via an app and share them where you want.

Top Bottom