• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft removing direct Twitter sharing feature from Xbox consoles

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Bullshit. You shouldn't be forced to share your clips/screens to ANY social media. They should let you download them via an app and share them where you want.
This benefits the Xbox brand how? It might suit you but Xbox should prefer you share clips while mentioning Xbox. Xbox trends from time to time on Twitter and clicking in shows clips being shared. They stop doing that and its digital footprint shrinks on Twitter. The Twitter posters might be clowns but it is affecting the bottom line here. It's free advertising.

ManaByte

This benefits the Xbox brand how? It might suit you but Xbox should prefer you share clips while mentioning Xbox. Xbox trends from time to time on Twitter and clicking in shows clips being shared. They stop doing that and its digital footprint shrinks on Twitter. The Twitter posters might be clowns but it is affecting the bottom line here. It's free advertising.

This might be a shock to you, but normal people don't buy a console to advertise for the plastic box manufacturer for free.

SSfox

Twitter is great, just know who to follow or not follow.

Glad i can still do this in PS and hope Sony will never remove this feature (and still don't see what's the point of remove it tbh)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Twitter is great

true romance smile GIF

Dick Jones

Gold Member
This might be a shock to you, but normal people don't buy a console to advertise for the plastic box manufacturer for free.
But if you are selling the console you need to advertise, and if you can freely advertise then you'd aim to take full advantage of that rather than actively make it more difficult to avail of free advertising. The free advertising is a byproduct of someone posting on social media "Look at this cool thing I did on my console". It was not included initially on consoles to benefit the consumer, it was so it benefits the console makers.

Even that shill Jez is saying it is a backwards move. You don't have to be ultra defensive here. It's not an "another one" console war thing as its not a console selling point. Thinking logically about it, it's a backwards business move.

nikolino840

Hell yea. It's the only social media I care to ever share me playing a videogame to.
But Is too long doing the share in the dashboard...and you have to stop to play the game...you can't even cut the clips...and writing the # or something with the controller Is boring unless you have the mini keyboard that you attach in the controller..

I do lots of clips/screen too but i use the Xbox mobile app

Jimmy_liv

Good start, just get rid of all that shit and get back to having machines that play video games again.
Why? Some people like to share pics taken using the features of the xbox with their friends. Why does this offend you so much?

What if I told you that you didn't need to use the feature if you didn't like it but others could still enjoy it?

But Is too long doing the share in the dashboard...and you have to stop to play the game...you can't even cut the clips...and writing the # or something with the controller Is boring unless you have the mini keyboard that you attach in the controller..

I do lots of clips/screen too but i use the Xbox mobile app

Yea, true the process does kinda suck.

reinking

Gold Member
Too bad you are not one of them.

I don't care much about twitter but I do hate when companies add extra steps to share clips when they make such a big deal about the feature. Feels like a way to force people to download the app.

Too bad you are not one of them.

I don't care much about twitter but I do hate when companies add extra steps to share clips when they make such a big deal about the feature. Feels like a way to force people to download the app.

Yes I suspect this. I remember Mike Ybarra more or less admitting they wanted to push the usage of One Drive at one point so users had to use that as a way to post their clips and screenshots elsewhere.

Banned
Maybe they’re clawing back resources to make games run better?
by removing a menu option???

if they wanted to free up resources they would need to to something drastic like remove the multitasking abilities of the OS, currently you can have open 1 game and 3 apps I think, and the apps will all run in the background until you manually close them.

that's where the PS4/5 OS is more low profile, since those can't Multitask whatsoever outside of very specific things like having Spotify play in the background

Last edited:

Shmunter

by removing a menu option???

if they wanted to free up resources they would need to to something drastic like remove the multitasking abilities of the OS, currently you can have open 1 game and 3 apps I think, and the apps will all run in the background until you manually close them.

that's where the PS4/5 OS is more low profile, since those can't Multitask whatsoever outside of very specific things like having Spotify play in the background
OK, not aware of how the twitch option was setup, thought it's always there like on PS5.

Three

Makes me think this is the real reason as to why this is happening.
Doubt it as a menu option is not using anything in the background. I mean twitch integration or something sure but a menu option to upload to a specific place isn't running in the background or consuming memory.

Shmunter

Doubt it as a menu option is not using anything in the background. I mean twitch integration or something sure but a menu option to upload to a specific place isn't running in the background or consuming memory.
Yeah, if it’s an offline upload it’s unlikely to be consuming processing during gameplay. On ps5 it’s always available during a game for streaming, chat, etc. so there are some reserves there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom