• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reportedly Considering Bringing Back Scalebound With Platinum Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
scalebound-820x394.png
source

Microsoft is reportedly considering collaborating with Platinum Games to bring Scalebound back from the dead.

During the latest episode of XboxEra Podcast, host Shpeshal_Nick stated that he’s heard about Microsoft considering a Scalebound revival in collaboration with developer Platinum Games. Though, he cautioned that these are very early developments, implying that they may not materialize into an announcement anytime soon.
Nick repeated that the Scalebound revival is a long way away, and that hasn’t been told what form the game will take. He doesn’t know if Platinum Games will try and salvage the unfinished project from many years ago or begin from scratch. He added that he received the information regarding a Scalebound revival via two different sources, lending it further credibility. That said, at the end of the day, it is a rumor until proven true. Therefore, we recommend that our readers take it with a grain of salt.

For the uninitiated, Scalebound was an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames from 2013 until its cancellation in 2017. It was originally slated to be released in 2017 for Xbox One and PC, but Microsoft ended up cancelling the project altogether in January 2017. Players would take control of Drew, who is accompanied by a dragon by the name of Thuban.

Crayon

If that happens MS should have a commissar on location to follow the development. Make sure milestones are followed, that money & resources aren't borderlanded into other projects.
Hold a tight leash.

Wow I was wondering if this would pop up.

For anyone who wasn't there, this was a really tough time for fans on the board. In fact, you could say it was a turning point to where we are now with fan dynamics.

The idea here was platinum was intentionally screwing up the game and dealing the money from ms to make games for others. All this as a response to the bad look of platinum's Xbox funded game turning into this online multiplayer mess.

anthony2690

Banned
This ain’t it bro. Xbox are clueless if this is real.
Wasn't bayonetta 3 really well received?

Bayonetta 3 clearly had ideas from Scalebound with the monster fighting etc.

Phil probably saw that and thought he should listen to Kamiyas ebegging & give him another chance.

I think Scalebound could be good personally.

That being said, I find platinum games very hit or miss.

I dislike more of their games than I like, I personally feel the first bayonetta and vanquish are still their best titles to date.

Also has Nick ever got anything right? (Genuine question)

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Idk, it had a lot of hype years ago, maybe a new console can handle whatever they were doing. The reveal footage looked bland, but supposedly there was some other tech angle we never heard about..

Elios83

Emmm Nick is not what I would consider a good source.
In any case a DMC clone with dragons is probably a concept with an already expired date.
If they want to work together they need a new IP but it's hard to be super successful with these pure action games, even Bayonetta 3 didn't do really well.

SaintALia

Phil probably saw that and thought he should listen to Kamiyas ebegging & give him another chance.

I dislike more of their games than I like, I personally feel the first bayonetta and vanquish are still their best titles to date.

This is what I was thinking. Bayo 3's monster system was 'Scalebound mini' basically(Astral Chain had a monster buddy system as well). I think Platinum have a good idea how to make this system work....however, isn't it supposed to also be multiplayer and they were adding other systems as well?

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s not at the top of my list of games to bring back, but I’m all for this.
Not sure why everyone hates this so much? Concept looks solid to me.
The alpha video posted in the other thread made it look like a barren Elden Ring with a Forspoken type of too cool to be interesting chatty main character.
The interesting bit is the dragon, a bit clunky but still cool. There was a targetting mechanic but it wasn’t clear if he could just tell it to burn everything, there must be some limiter of some sort, everything except bosses looked too easy.

Last edited:

Banned
This is what I was thinking. Bayo 3's monster system was 'Scalebound mini' basically. I think Platinum have a good idea how to make this system work....however, isn't it supposed to also be multiplayer and they were adding other systems as well?

the Multiplayer aspect was apparently something Microsoft wanted at the time, so if they are renegotiating this feature might be dropped

ungalo

In any case a DMC clone with dragons is probably a concept with an already expired date.
If they want to work together they need a new IP but it's hard to be super successful with these pure action games, even Bayonetta 3 didn't do really well.
Except the main character it didn't look like DMC at all, or a pure action game. More like some kind of Monster Hunter-like game with multiplayer.

SaintALia

'Gaming Insider Plausible Deniability'.(AKA getting 'GIPPED', not sure if the reference is actually offensive)
"Look, I said there were talks of the game coming out, clearly those talks fell through, I wasn't wrong, you just don't know what's happening behind the scenes".

Last edited:

SaintALia

the Multiplayer aspect was apparently something Microsoft wanted at the time, so if they are renegotiating this feature might be dropped
HA, I freakin love that album(your avatar). I doubt MS would want to drop multiplayer, especially these days. Though I suppose they would do well with an exclusive singleplayer focused game.

Batiman

Banned

This is how I feel. Bayo3 obviously took from scalebound. It would be nice to have something similar which actually runs decent

Could be a good time to make a game of the assets they had with how long games take to make. Xbox and gamepass plus they're increasingly more keen to back unusual games. Sometimes the style comes into fashion a bit when it looked bad before. Would be nice to see the devs get stuck into an Xbox game rather than Switch.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Lol I don't know if I should put this down to copium or not but who comes up with this shit?
I mean really, MS famously and messily cancelled this game, after investing millions into it, mere months before release. And now years later supposedly they're considering reviving it? Doubt.jpg
As much as I would like to see it, a revival would just lead to concern and skepticism not hype, and ultimately it will be a game that feels dated on release because lol it will be.

Urban

The Gameplay was quite funny.
That big ass Dragon which was literally the scale of the whole screen and the mc shooting arrows at him lol

Top Bottom