• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reportedly Considering Bringing Back Scalebound With Platinum Games

mortal

Gold Member
If it were revived, I'd imagine it would look unrecognizable from that initial showing.

I guess this is more about the prospect of an Xbox exclusive developed by Platinum Games than it is about Scalebound.

Elden Ring sells a lot. Then, MS is like, “Hey, we need one of those. Let’s reboot Scalebound but make it more like Elden Ring.”

Gudji

Jack Black Smile GIF

I actually think they SHOULD do this because Scalebound had potential. However, I don't trust the source whatsoever, they could very easily just be making BS up.

Maybe if it were Jez Corden (although I think he's a bit of a shilling 🤡) because apparently he clearly has an inside line with Xbox staff (how else would they have gotten the upcoming show and the date as precise as they did a day before Microsoft revealed it?), but if that were the case we wouldn't be hearing about this until closer to E3. Because you'd need Microsoft themselves to confirm it somehow in a short time span.

Five months out is not a short time span.

If that happens MS should have a commissar on location to follow the development. Make sure milestones are followed, that money & resources aren't borderlanded into other projects.
Hold a tight leash.

Either MS trusts them or they don't. If they have to do all of this just to make sure the game's coming along, then they clearly don't trust them and in that case why would Platinum Games even bother working with them again? They would be better off making a Bayonetta 4 with Sega & Nintendo.

Last edited:

fermcr

Microsoft should tell PlatinumGames to f**k off. They had their chance and blew it. Gameplay videos didn't look great from the get go.
Give Scalebound to another developer.

Last edited:

Beechos

The orig world and gameplay shown looked like something the xbox one would have a hard time running at decent res/fps. Maybe itll be resurrected as a next gen only game.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Microsoft should tell PlatinumGames to f**k off. They had their chance and blew it. Gameplay videos didn't look great from the get go.
Give Scalebound to another developer.
I mean but that's the whole point of the game which is a DMC wanna be with good combat and that is PG strength which is combat. Another developer and it would just be a DMC wanna be.

anthony2690

Banned
the Multiplayer aspect was apparently something Microsoft wanted at the time, so if they are renegotiating this feature might be dropped
It was something platinum games wanted and pitched.

I would link you the tweets from the former platinum games producer.

But his tweets are now limited to who can view them now. 🤷‍♂️

you-have-to-totally-trust-me-eric-cartman.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm calling bullshit. I'll believe when I see it from more credible sources.

freefornow

Gold Member
Revive development of Scalebound? Sure, why not. You have "x" number of studios who can do this. No need to involve Platinum Games.

Or

You have "x" number of studios. Make something new!

Kurimao

So much hatred but would be a kick to their nuts if Nintendo ask Platinum again to make them a game like this for Switch.

CamHostage

Yeah, not sure why this would happen, other than that it's a black mark on the record, and announcing it would be a pop of positivity for Xbox fans.

This isn't really PlatinumGames' forte, and it failed for that and a number of reasons the first time which haven't changed now. (However, did Kamiya work on that canceled Capcom game Dead Phoenix? He wasn't the director, but maybe he's always wanted to make a new flying action game?) And then, Xbox doesn't need this as a brand unless there's really something specific they're looking for. And it's not an inexpensive project, or a cheap developer to take a chance on (although Platinum seems to always be looking for work, so maybe they make good deals?) Also, dragon games don't seem to sell; Age of Ashes was good but apparently it's already dead and there's not been many other success stories with dragons in years.

Good luck, I guess, if it does come back?

Last edited:
Microsoft should just sell rare ips because instead of bringing back Conker which can be made by the south park devs or high on life they want to bring back a bootleg dmc that was a xbox one game if true. Hopefully Nintendo next console is at least on par with the PS4 Pro because Xbox is irrelevant to me and i’ll rather play a switch 2 than that shit.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Platinum worked out the two-character fighting system with Astral Chain. Having more powerful hardware may help with some of the issues they had getting multiple players with multiple dragons at once to work. I mean, it *could* work out for the best, but I won't hold my breath.

If MS go for it though, they'd better not announce until they're 100% sure.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Really doubt it. If anything this rumour probably comes from Platinum games begging Microsoft to get another chance and Microsoft accepting to get into a meeting or read a proposal out of politeness.

There are a handful of people like myself who wouldn’t mind seeing Scalebound return, but I just know it’s not going to sell well unfortunately. Maybe it will end up on Gamepass if it does materialize?

Out of all canned games they could be back.

This should be last on the list.
Thank you!

They have so much potential jewels in their vault - Quantum Break, Phantom Dust, Ori, Killer Instinct, Banjo Kazooie, Duke Nukem / Quake, that stealth game The Coalition was working on, before it got turned into a Gears-focused studio. I'm sure there're many, many more titles that are far more deserving of the time and resources, than Scalebound.

That said, a properly executed Scalebound can be great for MS and gaming, in general.

wipeout364

Please no, it looked horrible and I say this as Xbox and Platinum fan. Get Platinum to do a gears of war game that plays like Vanquish. Or get them to do a game like nier automata in the Wolfenstein universe. I am totally up for a Microsoft Platinum collaboration just not that one.

Top Bottom