• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Call of Duty: Mobile will be “phased out” over time and be replaced by Warzone Mobile

ergem

Will Cod be called Warzone to circumvent whatever CMA can come up with keeping CoD multiplatform for life? Starts with building the brand through mobile gamers.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
COD Mobile is actually pretty good and has TDM and DOM game modes as well as the best older maps. Would be a shame to replace it with a Battle Royale Warzone.

This is why I never play mobile games.

They are GaaS that can be removed anytime and there's rarely any clapback as you lose all your progress.

Look at Apex mobile...

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Do they even own cod?
Stop talking about it like you own it.

I have not been keeping up with the goings on but I find it hard to believe any organization is actually going to care enough or be able to stop this trillion dollar company from completing a purchase that they are hell bent on completing. Unless I'm a complete fool my take is it's only a matter of time.

SomeGit

COD Mobile is actually pretty good and has TDM and DOM game modes as well as the best older maps. Would be a shame to replace it with a Battle Royale Warzone.

Warzone Mobile, supposedly, also has 6v6 TDM and DOM but with less maps. Still if all maps and purchases don't carry over it will be a kick in the D for a lot of people.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not as joyful as that doggy.
Bring the cat back.
Meme Wow GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

feynoob

Banned
I have not been keeping up with the goings on but I find it hard to believe any organization is actually going to care enough or be able to stop this trillion dollar company from completing a purchase that they are hell bent on completing. Unless I'm a complete fool my take is it's only a matter of time.
It depends on CMA.
If they say no, then the deal is dead as MS knows that alot.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

“We are committed to Call of Duty: Mobile as an important part of the entire Call of Duty franchise and our overall mobile strategy,” the company said in a message published on the game’s Twitter account on Monday.

“We have the best fans in the world and intend to continue supporting the game with a robust roadmap of fresh CoDM content, activities, and updates for the long haul.”

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
CoD Mobile actually gets cool shit and cute waifus unlike the console game which just has Ghost-kun.

baerman

Neo Member

It's been speculated that the upcoming Call of Duty game might be named Warzone to avoid any potential issues with exclusive deals or licenses. This would ensure that Call of Duty remains available on multiple platforms for years to come.

The plan seems to involve building up the brand through mobile gaming, which could attract new players and expand the fan base. However, it's important to note that this is just speculation at this point and nothing has been officially confirmed.

Banned
It's been speculated that the upcoming Call of Duty game might be named Warzone to avoid any potential issues with exclusive deals or licenses. This would ensure that Call of Duty remains available on multiple platforms for years to come.

lol imagine if Microsoft buys Activision and then releases Call of Duty WHATEVERTHEFUCK on all systems... but then this brand new IP called Warzone is Xbox/PC exclusive lol, with its weirdly named first installment Warzone 3... like where are the first 2? am I right guys?

it's not call of duty after all! it's just a game called Warzone...
I wonder what would happen if they did that tbh. would that be breach of contract should they sign one with Sony?

Last edited:

Barakov

lol imagine if Microsoft buys Activision and then releases Call of Duty WHATEVERTHEFUCK on all systems... but then this brand new IP called Warzone is Xbox/PC exclusive lol, with its weirdly named first installment Warzone 3... like where are the first 2? am I right guys?

I wonder what would happen if they did that tbh. would that be breach of contract should they sign one with Sony?
I can see this happening. After all, Microsoft is very good at mismanaging the stuff they own.

Three

It would be a Demon's Souls and Dark Souls situation. I've said the same thing about Modern Warfare and Black Ops.

Last edited:

Banned
It would be a Demon's Souls and Dark Souls situation. I've said the same thing about Modern Warfare and Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 2 back in the day was originally supposed to just be called "Modern Warfare 2".
Infinity Ward wanted to spin it off into its own series.

that's why the cover art looks like this:
R.fd9faa226ea1f984fe98c1c66c245dd4

CALL OF DUTY
MODERN WARFARE 2

Activision made them add the Call of Duty name back in for PR purposes.

Last edited:

sainraja

I am just surprised that COD on mobile is a thing and seems to be a popular one. I just can't leave the traditional way of gaming for it. For me, games that are unique to mobile are best on mobile or card strategy type of games.

Banned
I am just surprised that COD on mobile is a thing and seems to be a popular one. I just can't leave the traditional way of gaming for it. For me, games that are unique to mobile are best on mobile or card strategy type of games.

it plays really well.
I am super confused as to why it never released on Switch tbh.
it has controller support already (although not perfect), and it runs really well even on lower end phones. it was basically 60fps on my old Samsung Galaxy S7

kinda weird

Last edited:

sainraja

it plays really well.
I am super confused as to why it never released on Switch tbh.
it has controller support already (although not perfect), and it runs really well even on lower end phones. it was basically 60fps on my old Samsung Galaxy S7

kinda weird
I might have to give it a try sometime. And, yes, it is surprising that there is no Switch version given that this exists.

COD Mobile is incredible. It's a greatest hits of the franchise plus its own original content, which is fun and doesn't take itself seriously.
The only problem is the size. It's GIGANTIC despite their best efforts to keep it modular and compressed. I wish they could just port everything to a new engine like Fortnite.

There's also an official PC emulator.

Last edited:

Banned
COD Mobile is incredible. It's a greatest hits of the franchise plus its own original content, which is fun and doesn't take itself seriously.
The only problem is the size. It's GIGANTIC despite their best efforts to keep it modular and compressed. I wish they could just port everything to a new engine like Fortnite.

There's also an official PC emulator.

yeah... just like on console, that game is MASSIVE for its platform.

if you install all maps it's like dozens of GB or something right? which is ridiculous for a mobile game

Last edited:

Three

The plan seems to involve building up the brand through mobile gaming, which could attract new players and expand the fan base. However, it's important to note that this is just speculation at this point and nothing has been officially confirmed.
If Warzone Mobile doesn't have the COD name it's maybe some contractual obligation with the owners of COD:Mobile that they're working around.

That might be what the speculation is about. MS are cutting off Tencent revenue here by working around that competitors contract where they can, outside China.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I played and enjoyed COD Mobile for a few months (got myself nice sakura skin for my main weapon). But it's absolutely full of bots, which got old in the end.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everyday Microsoft says something about cod they’re trying to get your money and wear out the IP.

reksveks

That might be what the speculation is about. MS are cutting off Tencent revenue here by working around that competitors contract where they can, outside China.
ABK are doing that, they already started the shift to Warzone instead of the mobile. MS may speed up the process.

Wait, since when can MS talk for activision? They don’t own them yet.
If you read the documents, they aren't. They/their lawyers are saying what they expect to happen and I think it's a fair assumption given ABK wants to maximise their profits.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Will Cod be called Warzone to circumvent whatever CMA can come up with keeping CoD multiplatform for life? Starts with building the brand through mobile gamers.
That would be a very unpopular decision.
MS: Stop having fun!!!! That's not allowed!!!!

I can see this happening. After all, Microsoft is very good at mismanaging the stuff they own.
Already starting by removing CoD from 7 billion smartphones 😂
"Warzone Mobile" is "Call of Duty:Warzone Mobile"
The transitioning to Call of Duty:Warzone Mobile was always going to happen. It will have cross progression with PC/Console which COD:M didn't.
The real reason they are doing this transition is because Call of Duty: Mobile is developed by TiMi, which is owned by Tencent
Meanwhile Warzone Mobile is developed completely in-house.
This strategy worked out great for efootball... Not.
They are not rewriting the engine. Warzone Mobile will release very soon regardless of the acquisition. The rebrand was so that they don't have to share most of the revenue to Tencent. I wonder if they share the revenue with Diablo Immortal, since it is made in-house. Another example is how all there Chinese releases had NetEase reserving 70% of all profits

Who said that?
Wait, since when can MS talk for activision? They don’t own them yet.
What he is saying is going to happen regardless of whether they buy them or not. Or maybe not?
ABK are doing that, they already started the shift to Warzone instead of the mobile. MS may speed up the process.

If you read the documents, they aren't. They/their lawyers are saying what they expect to happen and I think it's a fair assumption given ABK wants to maximise their profits.
Clickbait title will be clickbait.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't even think this information came from MS, the twitter just adds that for clicks and outrage.

Ev1L AuRoN

I, much rather play cod mobile on the good old death-match mode on my phone, then committing 20~30 minutes straight on a battle royale match.

baerman

Neo Member

Just Thinking What happens when bought this franchises!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They are going to milk this and then water it down worse than Activision ever did.

Switch, mobile, PS4, Series S, One X, cloud, and your local fucking Samsung TV.

No new engine, no destruction, just status quo.

Hope the deal stays dead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom