• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Says Mouse and Keyboard Support for xCloud is Coming (ign)

kingfey

Banned

Mouse and keyboard support is finally coming to xCloud, according to the head of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

In a developer Q&A spotted by Windows Central, Jorg Neumann confirmed the feature was coming to Microsoft's cloud streaming platform likely within the next few months.

Mouse and keyboard support has been a long-requested feature of xCloud, which currently only natively supports playing with a gamepad, or with touch controls on mobile.

When asked if the new control options were coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator following its release on xCloud last week, Neumann said it was up to Xbox itself to implement the support and wasn't something they could do as an individual developer. Thankfully, it seems to be on the way.

He said: "The next step for us is mouse [and] keyboard. This is platform level support so it has nothing to do with us. The platform team is working on this, and no I can't give a date because it's the platform team.

"I don't know their date, but it's coming. I would say it's in the next months. It's not weeks. I'm hoping it will be done by June or so but I can't ever tell. Everybody wants it. I want it. It's coming."

Ev1L AuRoN

I think Microsoft will regret this decision. It's a lot easier to perceive latency on the K/M. Even on local streaming using steam link I hate to use Keyboard and Mouse to play fps since the inputlag is awful.

Goalus

I think Microsoft will regret this decision. It's a lot easier to perceive latency on the K/M. Even on local streaming using steam link I hate to use Keyboard and Mouse to play fps since the inputlag is awful.
Eventually even VR content will be streamed.
They won't regret it, it will help them to be among the first to get it right.

Ev1L AuRoN

Eventually even VR content will be streamed.
They won't regret it, it will help them to be among the first to get it right.
Streaming will grow and improve, no doubt, but they will always be the budget solution. VR over the cloud would be very, very hard to pull off. We are talking about signal traveling great distances between nodes and other data traffic, and the smallest inconsistencies will make you uncomfortable playing.
Yes I believe in the future there will be a lot of great experiences in the cloud, and no doubt games will be design with latency in mind, but for twitch shooters and fighting games and any other genre that needs precision, local hardware will always be the way to go.

Kokoloko85

Maybe it won’t come out close to perfect but its something they can keep improving. Same as things like Streaming, Cloud, VR etc Tech thats gonna stay, and keep getting better and better

Top Bottom