• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says there will not be a native version of Forza Motorsport releasing on Xbox One, it will be a cloud version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hey at least it will have a higher resolution

I really hate this cloud business. A buyer is one signal drop or end of service announcement from being unable to access what they payed for.

I hope if there are any more backwards compatible titles added in the future, they will be local and support as many gens as is feasible. As for newer titles it would be sensible to simply release them on newer hardware.

Last edited:
The irony of cloud gaming is that it is supposed to make gaming more accessible to the masses, but the quality of internet service providers (ISPs) can be spotty and quite expensive.

Thabass

I thought xCloud was 1080p.
I'm talking about the current generation versions. Those won't be sacrificed in order to make them work on older hardware. Since the game would be streamed on Xbox One, there's no point in creating versions for older hardware.

Wait, why are you talking about Star Field? We are talking about Forza in this one. That's the one I've been thinking might still hit March.

Thing is if they want Forza to move consoles they have to have the consoles ready first, not sure if they can do that by spring.

Yeah, they could do the slow burn strategy and release Forza in spring and hope it has long legs to move consoles, but usually the biggest Forza sales are front loaded. Motorsport doesn't sell the same as the Horizon series does, which has much bigger longer legs for moving consoles than the sim ever did.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Honestly, this is pretty ingenious. Make the game current gen only, but have a streamable version to play on legacy systems. You can still put it on Gamepass and allow legacy systems to play the new hotness. Pretty smart.
I would agree if xcloud would work better, lag is pretty good, but the picture qulity is not there yet.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The Young Pope GIF
Animated GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Seems like it would be better to just not make it available for that platform than to make a cloud version
why though? cloud version doesn't take away resources from development to make a gimped version of the game and it's pretty much a no brainer with how many cloud servers MS has

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
The irony of cloud gaming is that it is supposed to make gaming more accessible to the masses, but the quality of internet service providers (ISPs) can be spotty and quite expensive.

In this case there are two options:

1. Play it via cloud with all problems that might have such experience.
2. No option, GFY.

Still 1 wins IMHO.

Having said that, playing a racing game on cloud... yeah, not sure it will be that great.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

This is great news for next gen owners.

A bit sad for one x owners but we have to move on. It's sad the resolution will be limited to 1080p.

Anyone has experience with cloud streaming xbox racing games?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I really hate this cloud business. A buyer is one signal drop or end of service announcement from being unable to access what they payed for.

There are not making cloud versions of their games for sale

Honestly, this is pretty ingenious. Make the game current gen only, but have a streamable version to play on legacy systems. You can still put it on Gamepass and allow legacy systems to play the new hotness. Pretty smart.

That’s not what they’re doing. It’s literally just XCloud on xbox one. Only via Gamepass

Good

Weak spec machine a year before it launched, it'll be 10 years old when the new Forza Motorsport lands. No offence to the owners but I'd be quietly kicking it down the cliff face.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

I hope if there are any more backwards compatible titles added in the future, they will be local and support as many gens as is feasible. As for newer titles it would be sensible to simply release them on newer hardware.
it sucks but if you want to truly own and play the game you have to get a series x. unless you want to be stuck in crossgen forever this is the best solution for older gen players to still access the game

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
While the quality can be spotty for sure, the assumption is that the customer already pays for internet. I would imagine there aren't many xbox gamers that don't already have an existing internet service plans.

While the quality can be spotty for sure, the assumption is that the customer already pays for internet. I would imagine there aren't many xbox gamers that don't already have an existing internet service plans.
what plans?

entry, mid or high end services plans?

here in Mexico there is only one company that offers 100% optical fiber (there are hybrid solution).

and is the most expensive one and even with a 5G modem cloud gaming was unplayable.

It’s 10 years old. Is there even an audience left on that thing that would buy Forza for $60? At the very least they’re probably at least upgraded to a Series S or PC if they’re active users

Solidus_T

Essentially they are making this one a true Xbox Series X generation game. This will show in the graphical fidelity vs older games. I dig it.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
what plans?

here in Mexico there is only one company that offers 100% optical fiber (there are hybrid solution).

and is the most expensive one and even with a 5G modem cloud gaming was unplayable.
You don't need a mid or high end bandwidth plans. A 50 Mbps plan provides the raw speeds needed. It just needs to be a stable and noise free connection.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
and i am telling you i couldn't play. despite having a 100% optical fiber service.
I'm not stating it's going to work for everyone, but having an internet connection or not is not going to be the deciding factor. That is the claim you made that I pushed back on.

Edit:btw, I had the exact same issue as you. I was fiber connected and xcloud was really hit or miss. I contacted my isp and requested my signal to noise ratio to be looked at. They determined there was an issue and came to run new lines for me. It's absolutely perfect now.

I'm not sure if your isp would have the same response, it's worth inquiring about as my download speeds went from sub 500Mbps to over 950Mbps.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I'm not stating it's going to work for everyone, but having an internet connection or not is not going to be the deciding factor. That is the claim you made that I pushed back on.

Edit:btw, I had the exact same issue as you. I was fiber connected and xcloud was really hit or miss. I contacted my isp and requested my signal to noise ratio to be looked at. They determined there was an issue and came to run new lines for me. It's absolutely perfect now.

I'm not sure if your isp would have the same response, it's worth inquiring about as my download speeds went from sub 500Mbps to over 950Mbps.

I'm not stating it's going to work for everyone, but having an internet connection or not is going to be the deciding factor. That is the claim you made that I pushed back on.
nope. i made a comment about the irony of this technology (which is suppose to lower the barrier of entry to gaming)

i.e. people that cant affor a Next-Gen console.

usually are relegated to places in which there si not enough infrastructure. (optical fiber, Data centers).

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
nope. i made a comment about the irony of this technology (which is suppose to lower the barrier of entry to gaming)

i.e. people that cant affor a Next-Gen console.

usually are relegated to places in which there si not enough infrastructure. (optical fiber, Data centers).
Yeah, I can't speak for other impoverished nation states. Just because not everyone can partake doesn't mean they shouldn't continue to strive to expand the service. Like anything in life, there are no absolutes, and bringing next gen games to older hardware through xcloud is a great compromise for millions of people.

Ozriel

M$FT
Receipts, please. Because this sounds exactly what they're doing.

Did you even read the article ? Did you read the OP ?

Here’s a direct quote

"While there will not be a native Xbox One version of the game, Xbox One players can stream Forza Motorsport through Xbox Cloud Gaming included in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate," Microsoft said.

Xbox Cloud gaming on Xbox consoles has been a thing for a while…and just as the article says, it’s for Gamepass Ultimate subscribers.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/24/m...ing-to-xbox-consoles-this-holiday-season/amp/

Last edited:

Banned
this is true for all Microsoft first party games, so nothing new here.

all current gen only games can be played on Xbox One using gamepass streaming

diffusionx

Gold Member
Didn't they do this with Flight Sim as well? It's odd to see MS actually moving forward while Sony keeps releasing PS4 stuff. Although MS hasn't really been releasing anything so maybe Sony will make that decision too.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

what plans?

Any standard coax connection will work just fine. I have a run of the mill 400/20mbps coax connection and Xcloud runs perfectly fine on that. I've played games on a shared 100mbps connection (at a hospital) and it ran fine on that to. You don't need 1Gbit fiber to make it work. Same for PSNow, the requirements really aren't that insane.

Last edited:
Any standard coax connection will work just fine. I have a run of the mill 400/20mbps coax connection and Xcloud runs perfectly fine on that. I've played games on a shared 100mbps connection (at a hospital) and it ran fine on that to. You don't need 1Gbit fiber to make it work. Same for PSNow, the requirements really aren't that insane.
follow the conversation ahead.

Crayon

Didn't they do this with Flight Sim as well? It's odd to see MS actually moving forward while Sony keeps releasing PS4 stuff. Although MS hasn't really been releasing anything so maybe Sony will make that decision too.

MS has hardly had anything at all since next gen launch. It's been 2 years. Sony and everyone else is finally shifting to next gen just now.

Yeah, I can't speak for other impoverished nation states. Just because not everyone can partake doesn't mean they shouldn't continue to strive to expand the service. Like anything in life, there are no absolutes, and bringing next gen games to older hardware through xcloud is a great compromise for millions of people.
yeah. i am not saying otherwise. in fact; this(technology) should be normalized in the future.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Still somewhat weird to see series s considered nede gen but one x not lol they are almost identical minus the ssd.

johnjohn

I'm not really sure I'd call it irony. The cloud still gives people more options to play than they had before, and the technology and accessibility is only going to get better and better.

Top Bottom