• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says three future Bethesda games will be PC, Xbox exclusive

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Someone’s certainly playing fast and loose with the chronology here.
Bethesda deal was announced late Q3 2020. Sony had already paid to keep FF7R off Xbox and paid for exclusivity for FFXVI well before the Bethesda deal. Not to mention paid for a year exclusivity for Deathloop and Ghostwire.

Let’s not put the cart before the horse here.

You think Microsoft moneyhatting for Gamepass and their 3rd party deals are different or something?

If you actually believe this then you are credulous enough to be scammed of every dollar you'll ever have by some scammer someday.

He's obviously lying and just saying that until the acquisition clears.

The fact that Microsoft has not signed any legally binding document stating that CoD will remain multiplatform is the biggest red flag in the history of console gaming.

The moment the acquisition clears, Call of Duty is gone from Playstation.
So you believe Spencer is lying to MS investors (illegal), lying to the government (very illegal), and intends to reneg on the multiple 10 year contracts that have been offered (which Nintendo has already signed)?

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you actually believe this then you are credulous enough to be scammed of every dollar you'll ever have by some scammer someday.

He's obviously lying and just saying that until the acquisition clears.

The fact that Microsoft has not signed any legally binding document stating that CoD will remain multiplatform is the biggest red flag in the history of console gaming.

The moment the acquisition clears, Call of Duty is gone from Playstation.

Bruh, MS can't sign any legally binding documents for an IP they don't own yet.

CamHostage

Wasnt this blatently obvious already?

Mostly, but not completely.

Bethesda is still a publisher, with its own properties to exploit and finances to maintain. It is now also a part of Microsoft, and has a benefit to working with its parent company for the larger benefit of the conglomerate. Xbox will have all of its titles (although Bethesda is still also making mobile titles,) and in general cases, that working relationship and the premiere status of the Bethesda name in the Xbox community will be the best way to launch new products. However, the door was never officially closed to the wider world, and for reasonable reasons. For one thing, there are likely some deals (even all this time later) which may make them publish for other platforms (Indy is one of the big questions.) But more than that, there's possibly more money to be made selling certain titles on multiple platforms than there is selling to only Xbox gamers (and moving Xbox consoles and gaining XBGP subscriptions and everything else that gets factored into that decision.) Microsoft can tie down exclusivity for the brands which would really make an impact as exclusive to their ecosystem, but they're getting all these games on Xbox Game Pass anyway, which is the primary reason why they bought the company. Mission accomplished already, so if there's extra money to gain or a greater subscriber base to build from releasing product elsewhere, (maybe after time-exclusivity, maybe day-and-date, depending on the product,) so long as that doesn't de-value the property's position in the Xbox slate, that may be an avenue worth exploring.

These days aren't like the old days, where the exclusive games you had on your box determined the value of your box; now the biggest games are multiplatform and most everything on either console is/will be on the agnostic PC and certain brands made in-house get released on other consoles. There's still that battle (we won't be seeing Halo on PS any time soon, nor God of War on Xbox,) but it is not what the war is being fought over. Subscriptions and franchise commoditization are what they're really after, and there are many ways to score a victory in that campaign.

Fredrik

Console exclusively is nothing more than a tax on the consumer IMO, and I derive no pleasure from other people not being able to enjoy a game on their preferred plastic box.
Yeah it’s ruining the hobby. I have many friends who only ever play on Playstation and the same thing with Xbox, the norm is having one console, maybe a PC as well. So all the exclusivity does is make people sad, I’ve still not seen a single one swap console or buy a secondary console because of exclusivity, it doesn’t work like that, casual and mainstream gamers don’t buy another plastic box to play a couple exclusives, they just end up sad that they can’t play a game they would otherwise play.

They will get eaten alive if they do that. Xbox players were hungry to get games off playstation.
Then "Xbox players" are greedy asshole bitches... Imagine being so juvenile, callous and vengeful that your whole lot is not more games being made for people to enjoy, but stopping others from having fun.

Yeah it’s ruining the hobby. I have many friends who only ever play on Playstation and the same thing with Xbox, the norm is having one console, maybe a PC as well. So all the exclusivity does is make people sad, I’ve still not seen a single one swap console or buy a secondary console because of exclusivity, it doesn’t work like that, casual and mainstream gamers don’t buy another plastic box to play a couple exclusives, they just end up sad that they can’t play a game they would otherwise play.
Yep, aside from people on forums like this. Most people don't have money for that, or as adults can't justify the expense to a non gaming spouse ("babe, I have to buy this $500 box to play x"... "why you have that other $500 box and we have mouths to feed and need to save for a new roof on out house")..

I have a ps5 and a history of ps4 games with plus. I wasn't going to get an Xbox as all my ps4 games transfer over (if there wasn't bc It would of been up in the air) I also have a switch, pc and sre deck to cover other games, there really isn't anything I can't play. Most people don't have all that though. Most don't build ryzen pcs or spend $400+ on a high performance graphics card.

Last edited:
Top Bottom