• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should really considering adding windows 11 to xbox.

kikkis

Inspired by ltt video where linus uses the updated browser in xbox to do all sort of pc like browsing. I really think Microsoft should add windows 11 to xbox somehow. Now I know that there is some issues with that port in terms of motherboard and probably other stuff but I doubt it would be impossible. And also pc oems wouldn't be too happy I guess.

I think the best way for it to work would be like quick resume where if you go from windows to xbox side of things or would store contents of the ram to disk and vice versa.

For example for me this would be killer feature since I game on desk anyways despite being mostly console gamer.

Mahavastu

what you have to make clear to yourself is, that even IF Microsoft would allow windows on XBox, they most likely wont allow you to install software from anything else than the official Windows Appstore.
Otherwise they would subsidize the XBox with lots of money just to allow you to play free or cheap games from the Epic store or from Steam, which is something Microsoft won't like to see.

Allowing the user to do too much with windows and XBox would make piracy of XBox games much easier, since there are more potential loopholes. Not sure if piracy is still a thing but it is a potential danger for a plattform owner like Microsoft. Do not forget that this was the main reason for Sony to disable Linux on PS3

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It was the original plan for OG Xbox until the engineers told Bill Gates that full Windows will be too heavy for home consoles which can only use a very light weight embedded software. Until now Xbox used a different version of DirectX(DirectX 10.x, 11.x, 12.x etc.) which used low level APIs to have full access to hardware unlike their desktop counterparts. But now technology is at that point where they can provide an optional full Windows experience which also contains all the Xbox specific libraries.
They have plans for a Xbox version of Windows core os.

FrozenFlame

what you have to make clear to yourself is, that even IF Microsoft would allow windows on XBox, they most likely wont allow you to install software from anything else than the official Windows Appstore.
Otherwise they would subsidize the XBox with lots of money just to allow you to play free or cheap games from the Epic store or from Steam, which is something Microsoft won't like to see.
Jokes on you.

(Obviously joking and yeah, I agree with what you said)

Last edited:

Zuzu

They at least need system wide mouse support. It's jarring and inconvenient when you can use a mouse in the browser and in some games but then need to switch to a controller to navigate around the rest of the Xbox OS.

odhiex

At that point, Microsoft just need to sell a Windows PC device like the surfaces (with the XBOX UI, that can also be installed in every Windows 11 PC).

But I doubted that. Just like when Apple doesn't want you to have iPad pro with MacOS, even if it's has the same chip as the Macbook pro.

WitchHunter

Inspired by ltt video where linus uses the updated browser in xbox to do all sort of pc like browsing. I really think Microsoft should add windows 11 to xbox somehow. Now I know that there is some issues with that port in terms of motherboard and probably other stuff but I doubt it would be impossible. And also pc oems wouldn't be too happy I guess.

I think the best way for it to work would be like quick resume where if you go from windows to xbox side of things or would store contents of the ram to disk and vice versa.

For example for me this would be killer feature since I game on desk anyways despite being mostly console gamer.
The moment they add W11, the console will be hacked, modded, gutted, every game pirated : DD.

The moment they add W11, the console will be hacked, modded, gutted, every game pirated : DD.
Let's be real here...IF they ever added it it'd be heavily sandboxed and restricted in terms of direct hardware access. It'd be a heavily neutered version of Windows where you could only install whitelisted apps (most likely only UWP) and only from official sources. There is absolutely no way they'd ever add full unrestricted Windows 11...hell their new version of Xbox Edge doesn't even have basic filesystem access.

WitchHunter

Let's be real here...IF they ever added it it'd be heavily sandboxed and restricted in terms of direct hardware access. It'd be a heavily neutered version of Windows where you could only install whitelisted apps (most likely only UWP) and only from official sources. There is absolutely no way they'd ever add full unrestricted Windows 11...hell their new version of Xbox Edge doesn't even have basic filesystem access.
I don't know whether the emental cheese like properties can be sandboxed away : D.

Remember when Linux was an option on PS3

Remember when they took it away

Remember when only 6 people cared and soon got over it

It’s too much work for too little benefit

It’s a waste of business resources
Remember when Sony was sent to court and ordered to pay compensation?

Last edited:

Amiga

It was the original plan for OG Xbox until the engineers told Bill Gates that full Windows will be too heavy for home consoles which can only use a very light weight embedded software. Until now Xbox used a different version of DirectX(DirectX 10.x, 11.x, 12.x etc.) which used low level APIs to have full access to hardware unlike their desktop counterparts. But now technology is at that point where they can provide an optional full Windows experience which also contains all the Xbox specific libraries.
They have plans for a Xbox version of Windows core os.
Heavy for the original Xbox. new consoles have x86 CPUs and more than enough RAM.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Isn’t Xbox OS already Windows to some extend?
Kernel only as far as I know.
Past experience says I'll never use it. One of those things that sounds great on paper, but in practice 1/100 may use.
It does not sounds good even on paper, shared memory bus on OSes like Windows seems like a overhead nightmare. The amount services running on the background would ensure that your gaming experience would be at greatly reduced performance.

The leaked PC board from console chips have always really bad perfomance due to shared memory bus. I know that their GPU is never functional, however I am speaking solely for CPU performance.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I’d love it but not gonna happen.

MS still wants Xbox to be a portal to nearly exclusively content that makes them at least a 30% cut. The browser and media apps exist to give a few features whereas Windows 11 would just be a complete bypassing of the purpose of Xbox.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why? To run pc cakes at very shitty frame rates? To do office work ? There’s no need

It would be nice so I didn't have to buy a separate PC for my kids over their xboxes. Also good if they support the multitude of software and devices e.g. kids want to setup mic/vid streaming and associated software/editing.

No real reason given xbox basically supports PC much the same. Even make it a paid unlock due to subsidy on hardware etc.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

"Bring more W11 to Xbox",

Best Regards,
the Pirates

file-20180309-30989-1ne0rrh.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

This would be a fucking stupid decision on MS part. They'd lose so much potential revenue.

PhaseJump

Banned
Without going too crazy, Microsoft should consider just adding driver support for peripherals, so people can use Xbox consoles with productivity apps normally stuck on computers.

Think of it driving a Wacom or Huion tablet, and allowing students or kids to use Krita, Inkscape, Painter, Photoshop, etc. Think of it supporting USB audio interfaces and running some DAW software or Guitar Rig.

There's overlap with PCs there that could be tapped into and marketed, without a full Windows install.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft isn’t selling Xbox at cost for the heck of it. The closed ecosystem is what makes Microsoft money. Opening it open kills the business model. Not going to happen.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it would be cool, it would instantly be by far the best value pc on the market. However, I don't think they will ever do this for many reasons. Though strangely enough, it might sort of Trojan horse even more hardware into more homes. That said, with a hardware shortage, this makes even less sense than normal.

I mean you can already plug in a mouse and keyboard and go on the latest version of Microsoft Edge and have at it. Might as well make it a secondary pseudo-PC.

Series Windows edition $999.99

Attach rate 5 games per year times 6 year console life is 30 games times $60 a game is $1800 times %30 cut is $540 bucks.
I'd be willing to pay 500 bucks extra to get rid of my PC from under my TV.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Remember when Sony was sent to court and ordered to pay compensation?

Removing Other OS may have been a mistake legally, but how many people actually used it? ManaByte ManaByte did you actually give a shit, or did you just get free money? I don’t know anyone that installed Linux on their PS3, because most people want a games console to be a games console.

ManaByte

Removing Other OS may have been a mistake legally, but how many people actually used it? ManaByte ManaByte did you actually give a shit, or did you just get free money? I don’t know anyone that installed Linux on their PS3, because most people want a games console to be a games console.

Nah I gave a shit. I have a Win10 box with the MS Linux kernal installed along with Ubuntu. I also have a 256GB USB with a bootable Kali install on it.

LNXD

Neo Member
Microsoft barely makes a profit with the hardware but a solution would be that you would have to pay for the Windows license, example + U$S120.
Fully functional Windows that installs on an external drive with Dualboot and you don't have access from one system to another.

Tiamat2san

Yeah we don’t need viruses on consoles so maybe a sort of windows 11S (like windows 10S pcs)
Something light with core functions.

Soodanim

Nah I gave a shit. I have a Win10 box with the MS Linux kernal installed along with Ubuntu. I also have a 256GB USB with a bootable Kali install on it.
What did you use it for? It never made much sense to me, I assumed you wouldn't be able to throw games on it because of the strange architecture

ZywyPL

Banned
Steam has Big Picture Mode, whereas XB could use the opposite - Desktop Mode, with UI suitable for M+K experience (and much, much better media player).

ReBurn

Gold Member
Remember when Linux was an option on PS3

Remember when they took it away

Remember when only 6 people cared and soon got over it

It’s too much work for too little benefit

It’s a waste of business resources
More than 6 people cared. But it's not like we were given a choice. After PS2 Linux OtherOS was one of the PS3 features I was most excited for when I bought it.

Top Bottom