• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Store/Xbox App Games started to let you chose your Install Folder

Banned
I don't know if anyone talked about this yet on here, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in general.
Microsoft announced that Microsoft Store/Xbox App installs will use normal folders in the future if the developer allows it.

The traditional way the MS Store/Xbox App installed games was in closed off folders that can't be opened without changing folder ownership, which is not without risks.

But I just reinstalled Forza Horizon 5 (I had weird crashes) and the Xbox App now let's me select a default install folder for my games on each drive I have installed/connected
so this feature has been already rolled out and I have not seen anyone talk about it at all not even Microsoft 🤷‍♂️

p85Y5O8.png

Last edited:

Banned
They talked about this, during windows store revamp update.

yeah but there was no time mentioned when it will actually be implemented I think. and today is the first time it let me chose that. I thought it would be of interest for people to know that it's finally rolled out

kingfey

Banned
yeah but there was no time mentioned when it will actually be implemented I think. and today is the first time it let me chose that. I thought it would be of interest for people to know that it's finally rolled out
People want the mod support. This is the 1st step toward that.

Banned
People want the mod support. This is the 1st step toward that.

there already is mod support tho. the Maste Chief Collection Modding scene is pretty decent already. MCC even has a separate custom launcher specifically for modding purposes.
it's entirely up to developers to support mods, just like in any other game on any other store. there are plenty of games on steam that have zero mod support and are basically not moddable to any real degree

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This is good news. But damn, the MS team working on the Store features are late with this feature, by several decades.
Even in the 80s, with DOS, we could choose were to install games and programs.

Top Bottom