• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft takes a $100-$200 loss on all Xbox Series X|S sales

John Wick

Youre just coming to strange conclusions based on no data or misinterpreting data. Microsoft themselves announced that the 360 was making profits a few years in, the console itself.
Did they now? Considering they spent billions just on Red Ring of death how were they profitable a few years in?

John Wick

I have never seen anyone dodge their own chain of comments like you when called out to address them, I even tried to break it down so you can address each part one at a time but you don't. You backpedal and then completely dodge what was asked or addressed.

Nothing is being buried, you don't have a point, you are putting words in my mouth or brining up gibberish that has nothing to do with the question.

One more time, this is you

this is me

and you still haven't addressed this.

Then you have the other issue of you making up other random numbers from anonymous sources that are "in the industry" based on a "thread" of "experts" that are just forum users. Which you still haven't linked to.
So basically PainTinJR was correct and you've just been blabbering on for nothing.

Did they now? Considering they spent billions just on Red Ring of death how were they profitable a few years in?

Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division, smells profits a'comin. Speaking to eWeek, Bach said that the Xbox 360 "[is a business that will be profitable next year -- we'll make money next year and that will be the first time, which is pretty exciting."

As to where the profits will come from, exactly, Bach offers this explanation:
  • Software, both first-party games and third-party title through royalties
  • Xbox Live: Bach relates this to an amalgam of subscription, ad-based, and download-based business models.
  • Peripherals (e.g. camera, controllers)
Concerning the hardware itself, Bach asserts that they will probably break even in the console's lifespan (i.e. as the cost come down, the profits from the units will eventually compensate for the losses Microsoft endured in the system's early years), although he also notes that the price of memory "goes up and down seemingly like a yo-yo."

The Xbox division has finally posted a profit during the 2007/08 financial year, the first in the groups history! Microsoft reports that it has now sold over 20 million Xbox 360s to date.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Expecting your love letter to PS3 that was losing like $300 per unit at launch ;)?
I did actually love the ps3. For its issues for devs and how much money it lost Sony I didn't care as a player. I loved it. Bought day one with resistance and motorstorm. Bought super stardust HD as soon as it launched and I never looked back. Amazing machine. Warhawk online etc....man I would kill for those kinds of games from Sony again.
Let's put it this way enough to bankrupt Sega about 20 times.......

I wonder how much in comparison for the size of the companies they lost in vs each other. Ps3 was North of 3.5 billion in the whole right? Wiped out everything they gained from ps2 and then in a serious hole.

I'm surprised Sony didn't give up......but I'm glad they didn't.

Obviously Sony could afford to stomach the monumental losses of ps3 for their company so I'm aure MS decided they could too and are now posting huge revenue and profits each quarter.

Last edited:

John Wick

Eddie Eddie Eddie
Doesn't state anywhere that was from hardware now does it?
"Youre just coming to strange conclusions based on no data or misinterpreting data. Microsoft themselves announced that the 360 was making profits a few years in, the console itself."
And you were calling out PainTinJR lmfao

jm89

And they are still doing deals on the series s and x over the holidays.

Xbox is the hero we don't deserve...
Their doing it for the consumers right? 🤣

And not the fact that they lost a shit ton of marketshare and doing whatever they can to get it back.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Their doing it for the consumers right? 🤣

And not the fact that they lost a shit ton of marketshare and doing whatever they can to get it back.

They are doing it to win business...yes, exactly like any company does to win market share in a competitive environment.

To try and paint it as some kind of negative is funny as fuck.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I don't think you understand correctly.
Enlighten Me Sophia Bush GIF by CBS

Eddie Eddie Eddie
Doesn't state anywhere that was from hardware now does it?
"Youre just coming to strange conclusions based on no data or misinterpreting data. Microsoft themselves announced that the 360 was making profits a few years in, the console itself."
And you were calling out PainTinJR lmfao

Apparently you didn't read the link, or understand what comprised of Xbox at the time, look into what Xbox comprised of in 2008-7.

Last edited:
I wonder how much in comparison for the size of the companies they lost in vs each other. Ps3 was North of 3.5 billion in the whole right? Wiped out everything they gained from ps2 and then in a serious hole.

I'm surprised Sony didn't give up......but I'm glad they didn't.

Obviously Sony could afford to stomach the monumental losses of ps3 for their company so I'm aure MS decided they could too and are now posting huge revenue and profits each quarter.

PS2 and PS1 were wiped out.

However, it makes sense why they didn't give up because they can't. People are forgetting but Sony as a whole was in turmoil, selling buildings, falling behind competition in many fields, few profits removed by phone division losses, laying people off, closing divisions, losing laptops, security breaches, people were actually wondering if Sony was going to kick the bucket.

PS3 was their strongest line they could get money from if they could stop the losses, and the PS4 after was a pillar that held Sony up as they fixed the rest of the company. That's how bad the PS3 era was for Sony. They couldn't give up because giving up would basically be walking towards bankruptcy.

mckmas8808

Banned
And they are still doing deals on the series s and x over the holidays.

Xbox is the hero we don't deserve...

I don't understand how that's possible. They MUST be planning on the Activision deal going through, so they are willing to take massive losses on each console sold now.

Top Bottom