• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to halt sales of Xbox and all it's products in Russia

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Nuclear war means millions of people will die, and civilization will crumble.
This is not some forum talk. This is some serious situation, which will have huge implications on human species.

That is why other method is needed. 1 unstable man, can bring the end of the world as we know. And you know what happens, when the world is in dystopia.
It’s very serious and we aren’t qualified to make the decision either way. I’m just stating your argument is fallacious and why. There are some paralells here with the period of 1938 to the start of WW2. I recommend reading some of the stuff put out by Frederick Kagan a world authority on the subject.

The damage is already done. If I was Russian, I would stop uploading any of my important files and work to One Drive and permanently switch to Yandex Cloud storage. I would also stop using Microsoft's outlook email because I don't want to wake up one day and find out that can't log into websites using my outlook email account..

It would be the same af if the international community put sanctions on the United States. Think about it.
Imagine if PlayStation and Nintendo-- which are corporations native to Japan--were to ban Americans from buying their games and from using their online multi-player services such as PS Plus. Your PS5 or PS4 console would become paper weight for any multiplayer games that required PS PLUS to work or free digital games you got from it as a perk.

You would never trust Sony or Nintendo again. You would buy all your future games on Xbox(American Owned) platform or Valve on PC .and thus shielding your gaming activities from international sanctions. You would do this even if those sanctions were only in place for a few months because you never know what your government may do in the future to trigger economic sanctions. And you don't want your investment in video game digital software library to go to waste or suddenly be snatched away from you
Took the words out of my mouth.

I'm not saying to never ever do sanctions. That is a tough situation with few good options, and certain sanctions can indeed put pressure on Putin. But we shouldn't haphazardly do things that are counter-productive just because they make us feel good in the short term.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There are tons ppl defending russia, even actual russian gaf member wrote huge wall of text- all lies trying to spout shit exactly to what official russian goverment line is- that putin is resqueing russian speaking ppl from evil nasists- ukrainians.
U get tons of unbiased media and dont look at narrative, look at civilian buildings crumbling under rockets, look at tv reporters getting shoot at with machine guns, look at women being raped then killed, look at children being born in basements/bunkers, u got vids and pics of that everywhere, u can make ur own conclusions, no tv reporter or what he/she saying is needed for u to see and comprehend what is actually happening and which of the side is evil agressor who is merciless.

Ppl in the west(not all but for sure sizeable part) got this western mindset/impression about what is war that they got from holywood movies, and as a polish guy whos grandma was 9yo when both nazi germany and after 2 weeks soviet russia attacked us back in 39, whos grandpa actually had to do years of slave labour in arbeitskamp(not deathkamp, thats why he survived, he got lucky)- war is nothing alike. War is tons of murdering, pain, hunger, raping, torture, fear, destruction and enslavery- if there can be done anything sanctions wise to stop it- its worth doing.

I used to visit a site called nichegamer for years, but honestly go to any game article on the site involving Russian sanctions and look at the comments, they are the worst of the Conspiracy nutjobs right out there in public.

There are people that look at the videos and images and go "fake news" or alternatively try to dehumanise the Ukranians so that they "deserve what they get".

And its the same talking points you see cropping up here again and again, that start with a "both sides" before they eventually break and go all in on there "Ukraine has Nazi's, so it must he purged" spiel after a few hours.

Look its really simple, if you watch a video of some poor Ukrainian family getting blown apart from a russian rocket you don't go deep diving on the long term social economic practices and influence of Western foreign policy for a "ah hah gotcha" moment, you blame the fucker that fires the rocket, its that fucking simple.

Companies want to naturally distance themselves from anything like that.

Last edited:

Allandor

So it seems like Playstation, xbox and the switch can't connect to the internet in Russia in a few days. Not because of sanctions, but because the gov decided it

PeteBull

I hope all this won‘t backfire and somehow unite the Russians against the west and not Putin…
U are naive to belive huge chunk of russian ppl already doesnt support putin, coz yup, many do, just they want to profit from all the western goods on top, despite their army, under putins leadership commiting war crimes.

asustitan

Banned
I don't believe hurting the Russian people is going to change their view of the West. I think it will drive them towards us vs them. Every industry in Russia will now be driven to become self sufficient.

What about the half a million people killed in the sham of the Iraq war, what about Syria, what about Libya. Caused by us.

So hypocritical and the public easily forget the wars done from our side where we thought regime change was in the best interest. Them are justified wars it seems.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't believe hurting the Russian people is going to change their view of the West. I think it will drive them towards us vs them. Every industry in Russia will now be driven to become self sufficient.

What about the half a million people killed in the sham of the Iraq war, what about Syria, what about Libya. Caused by us.

So hypocritical and the public easily forget the wars done from our side where we thought regime change was in the best interest. Them are justified wars it seems.

While the west has presided over some terrible foreign policy mistakes that deserve condemnation, to compare anything they’ve done to the Nazi level atrocities being committed by the Russians is as foolish as it is reductive.

And every business that bans their products in Russia is doing absolutely the right thing.

Last edited:

PeteBull

U saying "our side" but u are on the side of Putin and Russia, so not on our side- side of free world w/o cenzorship and propaganda.
If there is something, even smallest thing that can be done to prevent killing innocent civilians this action should be taken, gotta let Russians know the world is not supporting putin nor their 200k soldiers army currently invading Ukraine, if u dont wanna military conflict sanctions, all kinds of them is next best thing.
Remember Putins endgame isnt just Ukraine, he mentioned he wants Russia to have borders like over 100years ago, thats before ww1, and that means to border Germany, to do that he will need to invade/conquer/occupy multiplie NATO countries, including mine- Poland, since i live 60miles away from Russian border here in Poland.

Oh, and btw US is doing way more than just sanctions to Russia, free world countries, with US being strongest/biggest deliver weapons to Ukraine, which then later Ukrainians kill Russian invaders/soldiers/scum/war criminals w/e u can call them to have clean conscience. And US inteligence provides Ukrainians with info and thx to that again Russia is taking heavy casualties already,

So officially free world isnt in war vs Russia but in reality it really is already, and it looks like things gonna have to be taken care of sooner or later, for the sake of all injured/killed Ukrainian civilians hopefully sooner.

And one more thing- War in Ukraine doesnt end if Russia takes it- then killing of civilians will just increase, resistance of Ukrainians wont stop even if Kyiv is lost.
War in Ukraine ends only if/when Russian troops leave Ukraine, same way American troops left Afganistan after 20years.

Last edited:

asustitan

Banned
U saying "our side" but u are on the side of Putin and Russia, so not on our side- side of free world w/o cenzorship and propaganda.
If there is something, even smallest thing that can be done to prevent killing innocent civilians this action should be taken, gotta let Russians know the world is not supporting putin nor their 200k soldiers army currently invading Ukraine, if u dont wanna military conflict sanctions, all kinds of them is next best thing.
Remember Putins endgame isnt just Ukraine, he mentioned he wants Russia to have borders like over 100years ago, thats before ww1, and that means to border Germany, to do that he will need to invade/conquer/occupy multiplie NATO countries, including mine- Poland, since i live 60miles away from Russian border here in Poland.

Oh, and btw US is doing way more than just sanctions to Russia, free world countries, with US being strongest/biggest deliver weapons to Ukraine, which then later Ukrainians kill Russian invaders/soldiers/scum/war criminals w/e u can call them to have clean conscience. And US inteligence provides Ukrainians with info and thx to that again Russia is taking heavy casualties already,

So officially free world isnt in war vs Russia but in reality it really is already, and it looks like things gonna have to be taken care of sooner or later, for the sake of all injured/killed Ukrainian civilians hopefully sooner.

And one more thing- War in Ukraine doesnt end if Russia takes it- then killing of civilians will just increase, resistance of Ukrainians wont stop even if Kyiv is lost.
War in Ukraine ends only if/when Russian troops leave Ukraine, same way American troops left Afganistan after 20years.

The West does not have free speech, stop fooling yourself. People get arrested for tweets, get criminal records for making their dog do a hitler salute for a joke, Russia Today is banned which reported parts of the Syria war better than the mainstream outlets.

The West have done more damage to peace in the last 20 years than Russia.

One thing I have learnt over the years is not to trust a thing the mainstream news churns out. I don't know wtf is actually happening.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The West does not have free speech, stop fooling yourself. People get arrested for tweets, get criminal records for making their dog do a hitler salute for a joke, Russia Today is banned which reported parts of the Syria war better than the mainstream outlets.

One thing I have learnt over the years is not to trust a thing the mainstream news churns out. I don't know wtf is actually happening.
I mean, sure but in the west there is mostly some 3rd party which sue you, not that government abduct you anywhere if you look at them bad enough.

The fuck lmao found a Russian troll you can't be serious bro the hell go live in Russia then if this is how you feel what a stupid ass take that is back by no facts

PeteBull

Well hitler and germans together with soviet russia killed 6 milion polish ppl durning ww2/poland occupation so excuse me for not taking pity on some1 who teaches hitler salute as a joke to his dog, cat, parrot or w.e, for me such a fucker can die in hellfire right away.

I dont really care who u belive or not, if u are stupid enough to not see who is evil durning russian invasion on ukraine then u would probably be just as stupid as germans who standed by their fuerer in ww2, no mercy for those either- the lost around 7m ppl, but that was at least justified- since they chose to elect hitler/attack sovereing countries, just like putin did 4 weeks ago.
Maybe u gonna believe Arnie? He isnt afraid to admit his father was a nazi, durning war, and never stopped being one after too.

MonarchJT

Banned

the level of free speech/thinking/act in west it's not even comparable to the control you have in Russia/Cina

dotnotbot

Try standing with a banner "I hate my president" or "Stop the war" on the streets of Washington and then Moscow and see where they treat you better.

Just one of the recent examples here: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/18/asia/wang-jixian-chinese-vlogger-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom