• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to reveal its next generation of Windows on June 24th

3liteDragon

A special Windows event is coming later this month.
windows-scaled.jpeg
Microsoft is planning to detail its “next generation of Windows” at an event later this month. The software giant has started sending invites to media for a Windows event on June 24th. Both Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and chief product officer Panos Panay will be presenting at the Windows event. Microsoft’s Windows event will start at 11AM ET / 8AM PT on June 24th. The invite comes just a week after Nadella teased a “next generation of Windows” announcement. Microsoft is expected to detail its next significant changes to Windows, and they will likely include a number of visual enhancements. We’re expecting to see some significant UI changes to Windows under something codenamed “Sun Valley.” Microsoft’s event invite even appears to tease a new Windows logo.
image001.jpg

Microsoft’s Windows invite.
Microsoft confirmed last month that Windows 10X, its OS originally built for dual-screen devices, will no longer ship. The company is now rolling the visual elements of Windows 10X into the main version of Windows 10 instead. A lot of the visual work has already started, with new system icons, File Explorer improvements, and the end of Windows 95-era icons. Microsoft is also focusing on improving the basic foundations of Windows, with fixes for a rearranging apps issue on multiple monitors, the addition of the Xbox Auto HDR feature, and improvements to Bluetooth audio support. Nadella has also promised to unlock a better economy for developers and creators within Windows itself, so we’ll likely get a closer look at the store changes coming to Windows. Microsoft has been working on a new app store for Windows in recent months, and rumors have suggested Microsoft will open its store up to all apps and rival payment platforms.

The Verge
will be covering Microsoft’s Windows event on June 24th, so stay tuned for all the latest news.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Too soon

Windows 10 is still a total shitshow, and yeah, unless they have the balls to drop the legacy baggage then they will continue to have a negative perception. They can't even fix bugs that have been around for years, unified elements of the UI, or added back features that were dropped from the Office 365 rewrite FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Come on MS, just make Windows 10 a more cohesive experience.
How could they achieve that? Just wondering as it's a means to an end for me, just use it for internet or running an app which is pretty straightforward, but we've likely got different expectations or requirements

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
We don't need new UI and changes only for the sake of proving that people at MS are doing something, we need stability. It's unacceptable when you have to prey that the new Windows update doesn't break something on your system or start causing bsod's.

Last edited:

Mistake

My 10 won’t let me do support updates anymore, drives me nuts. I had to completely disable windows update in cmd to stop it from restarting all the time. They also messed up my nvidia driver by dividing the settings into the app store, because of some rule they made. What the hell is that? Microsoft needs to go back to their roots and see what made 7 and 8.1 work, because 10 is shit

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Can’t wait for another half baked version!!! (I’m talking about style inconsistencies)

Windows 10 is still the best version, they just need to strip down the home version so it’s lighter and faster. If you are a power user/company you should get the pro version.

Also, make Bluetooth work because nowadays it just doesn’t. My phone does it much better.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve never tried MacOS before. It shits on any OS, server or otherwise MS has put out.
It was meant to be a poke fun post. I've used Apple since Apple II, their server stuff eats dick though. Consumer their OS is solid but far too closed off.

Fuck sake at one point they even blocked the camera from developers and file uploads from people's mobiles. Don't even start on networking protocols and config. I used to support and config dial up ISP infrastructure, trust me Apple server stuff, when it was around, was total shit in the wider landscape of IT.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
It's unacceptable when you have to prey that the new Windows update doesn't break something on your system or start causing bsod's.

The last big update broke my sound whenever I used the keyboard hotkey to mute sound. It permantly muted sound and I had to rollback to fix it. I don't even want to test if it's been fixed months later. Now as I wrote that it also disabled my HDMI output, getting a second monitor hooked up to confirm what the root issue was. Pain in the ass.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just want to be able to fully control updates like back in the 7 days. Feel that idea is long gone though

"Microsoft is planning to detail its “next generation of Windows” at an event later this month. The software giant has started sending invites to media for a Windows event on June 24th. Both Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and chief product officer Panos Panay will be presenting at the Windows event. Microsoft’s Windows event will start at 11AM ET / 8AM PT on June 24th. The invite comes just a week after Nadella teased a “next generation of Windows” announcement. Microsoft is expected to detail its next significant changes to Windows, and they will likely include a number of visual enhancements. We’re expecting to see some significant UI changes to Windows under something codenamed “Sun Valley.” Microsoft’s event invite even appears to tease a new Windows logo."

Just read this paragraph carefully. It's like some kind of SEO AI wrote it. Sorry for OT but oof.

I'm not getting my hopes up but Microsoft really need to bite the bullet and move to the future. Windows is so bloated. They need to start from scratch but I do appreciate it's a difficult situation.

What i'd like to see is them announce that Windows 10 won't be getting any more major feature updates after a certain date and that they will bring out LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) editions of Home + Pro, instead of just Enterprise, and that ALL installs of Windows 10 will be moved over to it or at least you will need to move to it if you want any kind of future updates. I believe LTSB edition gets updated every 2-3 years and is supported for 10 years. This way they can put W10 on the back burner and it's still around for people who want/need it.

I think MS should do what Apple done with Mac OS X. Ditch the 10 (X) name and just move on to "Windows OS". Keep it simple. Instead of calling it Windows 11 for the next however many years just call it Windows OS 11 and next year bring out Windows OS 12 then Windows OS 13 etc. Of course, "Windows OS" would ideally be a completely new OS built from scratch with no real connection to Windows 10. If they wanted to they could add support for emulation of old Windows programs (kinda like Apple with their Rosetta emulation) to help the transition. It would make it easier on a lot of people to move over to "Windows OS" and still be able to use any crucial programs until there is a new version or replacement for it.

If Apple can ditch an entire architecture twice I'm sure MS could manage it. Apple ditched PowerPC and then Intel to move to their own "Apple Silicon". It's about time MS done the same. It'll hurt and take time but it needs to be done. They just need to come out and straight up with people.

Now, for what I think will happen:

Windows 365 "Please pay $10/month"

or

"Look, we updated the UI but still can't do a proper Dark Mode"

Last edited:

LordCBH

We don't need new UI and changes only for the sake of proving that people at MS are doing something, we need stability. It's unacceptable when you have to prey that the new Windows update doesn't break something on your system or start causing bsod's.

Also unacceptable when updates delete user files like a couple years ago

Also unacceptable when updates delete user files like a couple years ago
only happened to certain users. i remember that update and was no problem with it. of course it's unacceptable if your files were deleted but it wasn't a major issue for most people.

LordCBH

only happened to certain users. i remember that update and was no problem with it. of course it's unacceptable if your files were deleted but it wasn't a major issue for most people.

And another one also had a high chance of falling on Intel brand SSD’s leading to a reinstall being necessary.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xp, 7 were proven success’ 10 was trying to be better competing against iOS, so we’ll see.
windows 10 GIF

BigBooper

New WIndows feature, now there are four places for settings! Good luck finding them all.
Lol, they should add xbox achievements to Windows for shit like that. It'd at least add a little value to their nonsense. 10 points for finding the setting to disable your network adapter.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hope it's the OS to keep me from leaving Windows. Maybe just make it Windows 7 2.

Will they learn zero lessons from Windows 8 again and force users computers to upgrade to inflate their installation numbers again? Including the computers that can't run it?

1)Bring back Windows 7 key visual feature: Transparency, Gaussian Blur, Glass, Frost (also weirdly known as acrylic as part of the fluent design in windows 10)

2) Make it have buttery smooth transition animations and cool ambient sound effects when click on things so the whole windows experience is:

VGTW2t3.jpg

TheContact

Xp was the last OS that didn’t feel bloated (even tho it kinda was even tho it’s nothing compared to 10) they do need to start over instead of building off of code from previous versions over and over. I’m not sure how they do a windows 11 and even call it that while cohabitating with 10. 11 would have to be something completely different and it’s just going to cause a lot of confusion unless it’s just an edgeOS or something

Top Bottom