• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to reveal its next generation of Windows on June 24th

How could they achieve that? Just wondering as it's a means to an end for me, just use it for internet or running an app which is pretty straightforward, but we've likely got different expectations or requirements
I'm basically talking on the UX side. Windows is a powerful OS, but as a person who uses WIndows, MacOS and Ubuntu... Windows 10 is the least pleasant to look at. The UX is all over the place, and they're simply to slow to implement anything or sometimes they just give up midway of the implementation.

I just hope that Fluent design is the real deal.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve never tried MacOS before. It shits on any OS, server or otherwise MS has put out.
I like how osx drops program support after a few years. Support that upgrade model. Apple is the true visionary of not owning shit. At least microsoft still supports legacy hardware. I can still use a zip drive in windows 10.

bitbydeath

I like how osx drops program support after a few years. Support that upgrade model. Apple is the true visionary of not owning shit. At least microsoft still supports legacy hardware. I can still use a zip drive in windows 10.
That’s why it breaks so frequently, it still has 3.1 code too.

I am the in house go to "computer guy" in the office (16 ppl). I set up the computers, fix issues, develop our systems.

My only knowledge is A level computing from 20yrs ago and experiance of 80s microcomputers (I did not physically use a non dos pc until 1998 and did not get a pc until 2000). Repeat - I am the most techy guy we have.

I have had very few issues at all whilst running Windows 10 and few issues at all over multiple pcs, various brands and specs. For office use it is excellent, stable and easy enough for people to use. The hardest thing is sharing 365.

You guys need to go back to Windows ME (with office installed) and remind yourselves what a piece of shit looks like.

You kids don't know you are born! ;-)

ManaByte

You guys need to go back to Windows ME
annoy GIF

rofif

Banned
10 is fine for home use but for work use on factoy machines it is a nightmare compared to 7.
For home use, I like that there is no more new windows ever 2-3 years and I don't have to reinstall often

Drew1440

It'd be compatible with Windows NT4 programs, but not Windows 95 programs.
They already removed 16bit support from 64bit builds of Windows, since XP 64bit edition. They won't remove Win32 support for a long time since 32bit programs are still widely used. You can still download and install 32bit Windows 10, although I suspect that won't last.

Wasn't the goal of Windows 10x to get rid of Win32 and only focus on UWP and PWA, and get rid of all the legacy garbage and baggage? It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but many people say that Win32 is the only thing Windows has going for itself (!?)

Also I am wondering if MS is going to talk more about 'Windows Core' as some sort of adaptive OS that works on all form factors such as: Desktop, Tablets/Laptops, Mobile Devices...

The thing about mobile devices is.....besides laptops/tablets they dont have:

Windows SmartPhones, its dead
Apple Watch like device, its dead

so what mobile devices are they talking about?

Will Windows CORE be used on Smart UHD TVs? Cause Android OS runs on Sony's UHDTVS

only issues i've had with Windows 10 (and i've used it since it launched in 2015) was the first major update (nov '15) that caused my system to randomly BSOD a lot but a bios update fixed it so i guess it was kinda my own fault.

that said, i do think Windows needs a serious reboot. already posted in here but basically i think they can keep W10 around for those who want it and they can start working on a brand new version of Windows that has no legacy support or bloatware.

Last edited:
that said, i do think Windows needs a serious reboot. already posted in here but basically i think they can keep W10 around for those who want it and they can start working on a brand new version of Windows that has no legacy support or bloatware.
That was suppose to be windows 10x but they scrapped it. Windows 'core' is still a mystery to me.

ksdixon

I'm basically talking on the UX side. Windows is a powerful OS, but as a person who uses WIndows, MacOS and Ubuntu... Windows 10 is the least pleasant to look at. The UX is all over the place, and they're simply to slow to implement anything or sometimes they just give up midway of the implementation.

I hate fluent design, if that's the half step back towards Vista's frozen glass look.

TTOOLL

Preach! The flatness of Windows 10 must die with its inconsistencies.

My bet: New bar and unified design across the system

New bar is a given... unified design? Lol.

They have been using the same archaic and fugly-ass back-end since Windows NT.

Working in IT I have no choice but to be well-versed in Microsoft's product catalogue... Office 365 and Teams are serious game-changers (Azure too).

But for fuck's sake... going from the janky piecemeal OS of Windows 10 at work to my Mac at home is so jarring. They have to shed that old back-end (just please don't make it as buggy and unusable as the "new" Office 365 admin centers they keep releasing for who knows why).

Zeroing

Banned
make your bets: according to history

Windows me - bad
Windows xp - good
Windows vista - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - bad
Windows 10 - good but messy

99Luffy

Banned
Is MS still working on attaining cohesion in the windows OS or have they completely given up and are ok with this frankenstein?

I honestly dont get why these 2 things are on different screens, from two different eras of Windows (lets not even get into the interfaces leftover from 95/98)
RHqYk6F.png

DedOx7a.png

Last edited:

Hatemachine

Banned

Windows me - bad
Windows xp - good
Windows vista - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - bad
windows 8 wasn't really bad. the hate was misplaced. people's heads exploded when they turned on their computer and it didn't go straight to the desktop.

Sejan

windows 8 wasn't really bad. the hate was misplaced. people's heads exploded when they turned on their computer and it didn't go straight to the desktop.
8s problem was that it wasn’t intuitively designed. They aimed for a system that would work well for either mouse+keyboard as well as touch. Unfortunately, they leaned far too heavily into touch leaving an unintuitive system for traditional computer systems. It was just a mess of a design that didn’t work well for anyone. As someone that used Windows 8 on both traditional computers as well as a dedicated touch device (the ARM based surface tablet), I never understood quite what they were trying to accomplish. It was just poorly conceived and implemented.

Drew1440

Windows me - bad
Windows xp - good
Windows vista - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - bad
All of the above were good, your experience depends on the hardware running the OS at the time. A lot of people moaning about Vista were using it on Celeron systems with 512Mb of RAM.

Also, even though they were not consumer focused OS's, Windows NT and 2000 were very ahead of their time and were well received.

Zeroing

Banned
All of the above were good, your experience depends on the hardware running the OS at the time. A lot of people moaning about Vista were using it on Celeron systems with 512Mb of RAM.

Also, even though they were not consumer focused OS's, Windows NT and 2000 were very ahead of their time and were well received.
Windows vista was crap! I used it… on a new pc… back in the days… the brand new printer didn’t worked with it for example… and so on.

Kadve

Windows me - bad
Windows xp - good
Windows vista - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - bad
Alternatively (not sure though if 2000 should be included and mess up the chart, it did find its way to some home computers):

Windows 95 = good
Windows 98 = bad
Windows 98 se - good
Windows me - bad
Windows xp - good
Windows vista - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - bad
Windows 8.1 - good
Windows 10 - its complicated

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Alternatively (not sure though if 2000 should be included and mess up the chart, it did find its way to some home computers):

Windows 95 = good
Windows 98 = bad
Windows 98 se - good
Windows me - bad
Windows xp - good
Windows vista - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - bad
Windows 8.1 - good
Windows 10 - its complicated
Interesting no matter the list they always do a bad follow by a good OS. The question is… will the past trends continue ?

Kadve

Interesting no matter the list they always do a bad follow by a good OS. The question is… will the past trends continue ?
Microsoft usually takes a experiment - refinement approach when it comes to releasing windows. i.e. they release one version with a bunch of new features and takes the feedback from those into the next version before doing more experiments with the one after that.

With 10 all but good now though, the question is whether the next version will be another experimental or play it safe and just have it be an extension of 10.

Last edited:

Kadve

Also to elaborate:

Windows 98 = Didn't fix most of the stability issues present in 95 and had combability issues with older DOS stuff.

Windows Me = Essentially the same OS as 98 SE but but with severe combability and stability issues (despite running on DOS there was also no easy way of accessing DOS mode)

Windows Vista - Had performance issues and high system requirements. People also criticized Microsoft decision have it more locked down and DRM friendly.

Windows 8 - A failed experiment by MS to make an version of Windows that could be used on booth tablets and traditional computers. Ultimately pleasing nobody.

Windows 10 = at launch there was a lot of complains surrounding privacy and data collecting. People also weren't to happy with the forced updates the system does. Most of that seems to have died down by now though.

Also note that XP had plenty of criticism when it launched, mostly surrounding its complete incompatibility with DOS and security concerns. 95 also had many issues but booth are now hailed as some of the greatest OSes Microsoft has made due to how initiative they where.

Last edited:

Konnor

Imagine how much more spyware the new Windows will have to track everything you do and send it to Microsoft and NSA.

longdi

Banned
center start works more for tablet and touch devices i guess. :messenger_sleeping:

still prefer the corner, as i put the taskbar on my left.
21:9 screen, wasteful if it stays at the bottom

Why is it more productive or better design to have the button location on the taskbar be unpredictable? Looks like they are continuing the good Windows bad Windows cycle.
From what I can tell you can align your icons. I'm interested to see what the Glow setting looks like.

Top Bottom