• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to reveal its next generation of Windows on June 24th

TTOOLL

From Thurrott: The clean install UI dates back to at least Windows Vista, though the purple color scheme debuted in Windows 8 (if I remember correctly).

win11-setup-01.jpg

I know you'll rarely see this screen but c'mon!

More from him: For example, when you use File Explorer in Dark mode and then open the Folder Options window, it appears in bright white. This is the kind of thing that drives people like me nuts.

win11-inconsistent.jpg

Last edited:

LordCBH

The only thing I really want from windows 11 is some form of a migration application. Windows needs its own migration assistant.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Are these types of upgrades still paid, or are they free like OSX now?

From one laptop to another via a direct or network connection. Such as you buy a new laptop or machine and you run it and it will migrate everything.

Yeah, this feature is a godsend on Macs. It’s as easy as backing up your phone and restoring it with all apps in another one.

Last edited:
this is the “next generation” ? lol. it just looks like a UI update. what makes it “11”?? Urgh. I gave people shit for sticking with 7 but I’ll be staying on 10 unless MS can convince me it’s worth upgrading to and won’t break my PC

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I wish they wouldn't. Windows 10 was a bad enough switch and it finally works without a hitch this past year or so. Don't fuck up my days and weeks again just because you feel the need to push out an unnecessary "upgrade" to something that already works fine as it is. Please.

Like just fuck off with the "GOTTA BE UP TO DATE" mentality just this once. Please. Nobody is gonna give two shits if you wait another year or two to "upgrade" windows. Jesus.

Can MS update windows the same way as Apple Does with MacOS and iOS and Google with Android? Or would it be too difficult and cumbersome due to Business/Enterprise?
oTc6qg8.jpg

To be honest I like what I see, but still seeing some windows in white while the fucking desktop is on dark mode.

God damnnnnn MS, keep your shit coherent!

Is MS still working on attaining cohesion in the windows OS or have they completely given up and are ok with this frankenstein?

I honestly dont get why these 2 things are on different screens, from two different eras of Windows (lets not even get into the interfaces leftover from 95/98)
RHqYk6F.png

DedOx7a.png

They supposedly "rebuilt" Windows with W8... but they didn't. They just slapped a new GUI on top of an ancient back-end. They're doing the same shit with Office 365 (and driving me insane because the new GUI elements never work as well as the old ones).

Can MS update windows the same way as Apple Does with MacOS and iOS and Google with Android? Or would it be too difficult and cumbersome due to Business/Enterprise?
oTc6qg8.jpg

It's different because iOS / Android are built on FreeBSD / Unix. It's a far more stable and easy to modify system. It can evolve for pretty much ever.

Windows is a fucking mess.

BigBooper

I hope they integrate a virtual lan into the new Windows. They have the network to handle it. Make it part of Office 365 or something if need be.

It's different because iOS / Android are built on FreeBSD / Unix. It's a far more stable and easy to modify system. It can evolve for pretty much ever.

Windows is a fucking mess.
Is that true for MacOS too though? Apple doesn't have to worry about Business/Enterprise. Windows is constantly being bogged down by legacy garbage because of Business/Enterprise.

Windows on ARM mostly supports UWP/PWA, and win32 apps run like garbage on ARM,- or it just doesn't run. So the question is: why so much hate towards UWP/PWA? Someone mentioned here that win32 is the only thing that windows has going for itself. I personally dont get it.

I would love Windows to have updates in the same manner as MacOS. Windows 12, 13, 14, etc....

BigBooper

Is that true for MacOS too though? Apple doesn't have to worry about Business/Enterprise. Windows is constantly being bogged down by legacy garbage because of Business/Enterprise.

Windows on ARM mostly supports UWP/PWA, and win32 apps run like garbage on ARM,- or it just doesn't run. So the question is: why so much hate towards UWP/PWA? Someone mentioned here that win32 is the only thing that windows has going for itself. I personally dont get it.

I would love Windows to have updates in the same manner as MacOS. Windows 12, 13, 14, etc....
Kind of a weird way of thinking. If they abandon their legacy business, why would the legacy customers stick with them? They are a different style of business. If you love IOS, buy Apple products.

I'm not sure what the best analogy is here.. but I'll go with what I have:

Glock handguns are the "standard" for the market, and there's so many accessories and kits made for them they're pretty much the de-facto handgun... however they are objectively not the best gun available (CZ, HK, Sig are all objectively better in different segments).

If Glock suddenly changed their handgun platform and it no longer accepted all the old gen 1-5 mags, sights, etc... you'd see Glock tank. They simply wouldn't be able to compete due to their one big advantage (massive compatibility) going away.

Win32 is that for Microsoft. There's simply so many games/apps/businesses built around the OS that changing it would kill the only real advantage Windows has (as in the previous analogy... there are objectively better OS/guns).

That's all I got.

Win32 is that for Microsoft. There's simply so many games/apps/businesses built around the OS that changing it would kill the only real advantage Windows has (as in the previous analogy... there are objectively better OS/guns).

That's all I got.

Microsoft is trying to make developers turn win32 to UWP through 'Project Centenniel"

Microsoft has also incorporated 'Xamarin' to its UWP so you can make iOS, Android and Windows app at the same time at once.

You can also convert UWP to PWA

Last edited:
Microsoft is trying to make developers turn win32 to UWP through 'Project Centenniel"

Microsoft has also incorporated 'Xamarin' to its UWP so you can make iOS, Android and Windows app at the same time at once.

You can also convert UWP to PWA

Smart move. I am more IT/infrastructure focused so I wasn't up to speed on their OS plans... that's interesting (and the intelligent move).

If I had to guess then, Win32 is probably gonna have its last gasp w/ Win11 or 12. Then it will be an ARM-focused platform likely also built on FreeBSD.

Smart move. I am more IT/infrastructure focused so I wasn't up to speed on their OS plans... that's interesting (and the intelligent move).

If I had to guess then, Win32 is probably gonna have its last gasp w/ Win11 or 12. Then it will be an ARM-focused platform likely also built on FreeBSD.
They have made those moves for quiet some time now. The implementation of Microsoft asking developers to make win32 to UWP/PWA has gotten a lot of resistance for some reason and been painfully slow. Versus Apple was able to convert x86 apps to ARM using Rosetta fairly quickly and easily. Maybe because developers had no choice and had to do it?!

If you were to make UWP/PWA it can run on Windows x86, Windows ARM, iOS, Android, and possible MacOS at the same time. Its a win-win.

We will see what MSFT has to say about this in their upcoming event. The leaked windows 11 build shows promise. Love the aesthetics and visual flare and appeal. It desperately needed that.

Rat Rage

Windows 10 LTSC + tweaks is like Windows 7 2. The only thing that sucks is, it takes quite of bit of time to tweak everything.

This is because M1 is vastly superior to any other ARM architecture chip. It has nothing to do with Windows.
Thankfully they have updated the ARM architecture and will help Qualcomm and Samsung in their ARM CPU design, along with ARM based GPU's (especially AMD's RDNA2) which should make Windows 11 run better.

ksdixon

They supposedly "rebuilt" Windows with W8... but they didn't. They just slapped a new GUI on top of an ancient back-end. They're doing the same shit with Office 365 (and driving me insane because the new GUI elements never work as well as the old ones).
Why don't you add toolbar buttons onto the quick access ribbon, place that below the toolbar, and tell the toolbar itself to minimalize? I do this for both Office and File Explorer.

ksdixon

Why don't you add toolbar buttons onto the quick access ribbon, place that below the toolbar, and tell the toolbar itself to minimalize? I do this for both Office and File Explorer.
lIfEBPR.png

That's basically how I have my Excel quick access bar, Word's, File Explorer, and Quick Actions in the Action Center

I like the UI from the leaked screens, start can use some improvements and it's early so there is hope. As someone who didn't like windows 10 much, this seems more promising. I look forward to this Thursday for the official reveal.

From Thurrott: The clean install UI dates back to at least Windows Vista, though the purple color scheme debuted in Windows 8 (if I remember correctly).

win11-setup-01.jpg

I know you'll rarely see this screen but c'mon!

More from him: For example, when you use File Explorer in Dark mode and then open the Folder Options window, it appears in bright white. This is the kind of thing that drives people like me nuts.

win11-inconsistent.jpg
old build, still room for improvement.

are they trying to be like apple here trying to appeal to emotions? its emotional, beautiful, colorful, feels like home? super elegant, seamless...

lololol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AJUMP23

I hope you can put it in game mode and close every process you don't need for running a game.

The voice over SYNC is off with the stream for youtube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom